Thread: If You Were Going To Buy A BMW 5 Series,

Default If You Were Going To Buy A BMW 5 Series,

What year and equipment would you look for?
    Rattling the teacups.

Default Re: If You Were Going To Buy A BMW 5 Series,

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    You've taken a 2nd job... so you can afford the repairs? <G>

Seriously... I'm no Beemer expert, so here's one take. I'd go for the wagon --

https://www.motor1.com/features/1014...e...%20More%20
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I do my own wrenching, and I don't like to wrench on cars like I used to do, soooo . . .

Car's gotta cost less than $5k.
    Rattling the teacups.

e34 or e61 touring.

edit: you added the price, both of those fail. Not a 5-series, but always thought this would be cool for tejasbahn cruising https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-bmw-850i-86/

I would go for an old ( 2006 or so) 550 i with the full monty of stuff, a real gangster car ( in Europe )

2017 BMW 5 Series

AWD 530i xDrive 4dr Sedan

• $269
      miles

• Engine:
      2.0L I4

• Drivetrain:
      AWD

• Days Listed

• PRICE
      $31,615 below avg.
    • MILEAGE
      17,121 miles above avg.

Virtual Appointments
    Video Walkarounds
    Online Paperwork

This is in your price range, but not in your permissible rational ownership paradigm. Besides, the first parts or repairs would break you.

1973 - with Krausers.

I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    You've taken a 2nd job... so you can afford the repairs? <G>

Seriously... I'm no Beemer expert, so here's one take. I'd go for the wagon --

https://www.motor1.com/features/1014...e...%20More%20
    He lost me at:

It was the first all-wheel-drive 5 Series ever produced by BMW, and paved the way for an advanced all-wheel-drive system throughout the rest of the BMW lineup.
    Pretty much the same setup as my 1967 Jeep J20 pickup - but without the option to shift between 2 & 4 WD.

OK - maybe fancy clutches in the transfer case (!?!) - that require $50/quart special BMW oil that has to be changed annually.

If you want sporty AWD - buy an Audi.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I'd buy whatever BMW my next door neighbor Garret told me he'd be willing to maintain.

He'd get a lot of free dinners...

Jeff C

Actually, I'd have Garret on one side, and Reynaud on the other--that way they each could have every other weekend off...

Jeff C

the E39 was the last of the good looking and easy to work on cars. 1995 to 2004. I would take mine as a 535 with the big six. The V8 cars had issues with cylinder linings. I would take mine in either black on black or Calypso Red (burgandy) on black with the M-sport package.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Ha! My brother has a 3 series wagon he loves. Don't know what it is, Bimmers (bikes and cars) have just never done anything for me. I realize it's not supposed to be sporty, but I had an X3 for a while that was almost as much fun as a Dodge minivan.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    the E39 was the last of the good looking and easy to work on cars. 1995 to 2004. I would take mine as a 535 with the big six. The V8 cars had issues with cylinder linings. I would take mine in either black on black or Calypso Red (burgandy) on black with the M-sport package.

You're good with cars--you're in my neighborhood. Those other two guys have to get a vacation sometime...

Jeff C

F 150
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    F 150
    ++1

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Ha! My brother has a 3 series wagon he loves. Don't know what it is, Bimmers (bikes and cars) have just never done anything for me. I realize it's not supposed to be sporty, but I had an X3 for a while that was almost as much fun as a Dodge minivan.

YMMV

One of my favourite cars was one of the most hated of BMWs when new. The E36 318ti. Yes, the hatchback. People hated it's looks and downmarket engine and interior without ever realizing it was the perfect BMW. Simple, easy to work on, and lightweight. Once I set it up with Bilstein Coilovers, 330is brakes, racing dynamics swaybars, and the larger wheel off of the M3, it was able to out corner almost anything on the road.

Coming out of Atlantic City on the Atlantic City Expressway, there is a very tight left hand bend if you come up through the tunnel. I had a guy in his twenties in a Subaru STi who thought he was a big **** toying with the bmw, until we hit that corner. I went through it at over the speed limit and kept going, only wondering where the subaru was once I was on the main highway. The next day I could see tell tale blue paint on the concrete where he overcooked the corner.

It's the last blue corner where the road loops back on itself by the arrow pointing to "exit 1"

427295f316ccfbd748a846c30c3e874b.jpg
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Like this?

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/...148885292.html
    Rattling the teacups.

Don't worry if the indicators don't work. The local BMW drivers 'round here never bother to use 'em.

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    Don't worry if the indicators don't work. The local BMW drivers 'round here never bother to use 'em.

Andy

My wife has been saying this for years, Mercedes too.

One of my favourite cars was one of the most hated of BMWs when new. The E36 318ti. Yes, the hatchback. People hated it's looks and downmarket engine and interior without ever realizing it was the perfect BMW. Simple, easy to work on, and lightweight. Once I set it up with Bilstein Coilovers, 330is brakes, racing dynamics swaybars, and the larger wheel off of the M3, it was able to out corner almost anything on the road.

Coming out of Atlantic City on the Atlantic City Expressway, there is a very tight left hand bend if you come up through the tunnel. I had a guy in his twenties in a Subaru STi who thought he was a big **** toying with the bmw, until we hit that corner. I went through it at over the speed limit and kept going, only wondering where the subaru was once I was on the main highway. The next day I could see tell tale blue paint on the concrete where he overcooked the corner.

It's the last blue corner where the road loops back on itself by the arrow pointing to "exit 1"
    About as OT as you can get when talking Bimmers, I had a Peugeot 505STX (that I loved). No rocket sled, but it handled really well. I was getting off the interstate (I know - Canada doesn't call 'em that - AutoRoute 10?) in Montreal & the exit was a 50KPH sweeping right 180 deg. or so turn. A 911 came tearing up behind me right as I was turning off the highway. He then backed way off to make room for when I slowed down. I took it at about 100KPH (with ease) & when the 911 passed me after the turn, he was staring at my car with his jaw dropped.

Sleepers are fun.

@ Oz - much as I'm not a fan - that looks like a lotta car for 6K. Too bad it's not a 6 speed. If you buy one - do be prepared for the reaction of people - cars like these get strong reactions - even if they're driving something that cost 5x as much.

Andy
    In Massachusetts, turn indicators are optional equipment on all cars *- so most people don't waste the money on them.

* kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    About as OT as you can get when talking Bimmers, I had a Peugeot 505STX (that I loved). No rocket sled, but it handled really well. I was getting off the interstate (I know - Canada doesn't call 'em that - AutoRoute 10?) in Montreal & the exit was a 50KPH sweeping right 180 deg. or so turn. A 911 came tearing up behind me right as I was turning off the highway. He then backed way off to make room for when I slowed down. I took it at about 100KPH (with ease) & when the 911 passed me after the turn, he was staring at my car with his jaw dropped.

Sleepers are fun.

@ Oz - much as I'm not a fan - that looks like a lotta car for 6K. Too bad it's not a 6 speed. If you buy one - do be prepared for the reaction of people - cars like these get strong reactions - even if they're driving something that cost 5x as much.
    I just want something I can take on a road trip without being crippled by the vehicle.

A full sized truck makes more sense, but a boy can dream, yes?
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    My wife has been saying this for years, Mercedes too.
    Audi drivers just top the 'no indicator' charts here.

Andy, indicates all the time. Even on the straight bits.
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

-Dalai Lama

I had an '08 525 for years, 135k with no issues. I thnk the ex got 4k when she trade in on it (I got to keep the dumptruck!)

E39. Manual transmission. 2.8 L six cylinder through the 2001 face lift, then 3.0 L until the end in 2003 (2004 for the Touring).

Sport package if possible, plus Premium package if you can find one with both. Nothing else except A/C, which I think was standard and kicks ass even in Florida.

The above will look great in any exterior color that was available, even the common titanium silver. Avoid the gray interior, IMO.

Plan on $1,500 - $2,500 to set it right (if much maintenance has been deferred) and another $1,000-1,500 year to keep it that way, less if DIY.

The last classic, analog Fiver.

PS: The HID headlights would be nice.
    Last edited by Ross M; 07-10-2020 at 07:21 PM.

Lew Barrett's looked nice, IIRC he had an E39 540 (V8) with a six speed stick.

I don't follow BMW closely but the new 5s, from what I read, are less performance oriented, but I do like that they have gone from struts to SLA suspension in front. The BMW strut design was the best strut design in the world, but SLA offers more capability.

Perhaps 5 years back I saw a new BMW M3 sedan in a truly lovely medium ("marina"?) blue metallic that was stunning.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Audi drivers just top the 'no indicator' charts here.

Andy, indicates all the time. Even on the straight bits.
    I'm an Audi driver & the turn signals are used for every turn + merging on & off a highway & when changing lanes on the highway. As I explained to a non-turn signal using friend - it's to protect me as well as being polite.

I do my own wrenching, and I don't like to wrench on cars like I used to do, soooo . . .

Car's gotta cost less than $5k.
    Drivers side rear view mirror is $1800, just sayin'

I just want something I can take on a road trip without being crippled by the vehicle.

A full sized truck makes more sense, but a boy can dream, yes?

My 29 ford pickup just did 1200 miles straight. Guessing you want just a little more comfort?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom