Thread: Systemic Racism

Default Systemic Racism

According to the Washington Post 10 unarmed black people were shot by cops last year.
    Five of them attacked the policeman before being shot and no charges were filed.
    One was accidentally shot while attempting to take the policeman's gun, no charges were filed.
    Of the remaining four, two resulted in charges filed against the policeman.
    Forty-eight policemen were murdered.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

Default Re: Systemic Racism

Where?

Link please.

Unwittingly... he fails to grasp the dynamic, and comments instead on systemic cluelessness.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    . . . . .
    By whom?
    Wapo is paywalled, but their reporting is discussed on Twitter:
    @mtracey
    ·
    May 31
    According to the Washington Post database, a total of 41 unarmed people were shot and killed by US police in 2019. The racial composition of victims is: White: 19 Black: 9 Hispanic: 6 Other: 4 Unknown: 3

and another tweet quoted a meme stating that blacks are 13% of the US population but 25% of those shot by cops.
    from the FBI Stats
    Circumstances. Of the 48 officers feloniously killed:

• 15 died as a result of investigative or law enforcement activities
      • 6 were conducting traffic violation stops
      • 4 were performing investigative activities
      • 2 were drug-related matters
      • 2 were interacting with wanted persons
      • 1 was investigating suspicious person or circumstance

• 9 were involved in tactical situations
      • 3 were barricaded/hostage situations
      • 3 were serving, or attempting to serve, search warrants
      • 2 were serving, or attempting to serve, arrest warrants
      • 1 was reported in the category titled “other tactical situation”

• 5 were involved in unprovoked attacks
    • 4 were responding to crimes in progress
      • 2 were robberies
      • 1 was larceny-theft
      • 1 was reported in the category titled “other crime against property”

• 3 were involved in arrest situations and were attempting to restrain/control/handcuff the offender(s) during the arrest situations
    • 3 were assisting other law enforcement officers
      • 2 with vehicular pursuits
      • 1 with foot pursuit

• 3 were responding to disorders or disturbances
      • 2 were responding to disturbances (disorderly subjects, fights, etc.)
      • 1 was responding to a domestic violence call

• 3 were involved in vehicular pursuits
    • 2 were ambushed (entrapment/premeditation)
    • 1 was serving, or attempting to serve, a court order (eviction notice, subpoena, etc.).

Weapons. Offenders used firearms to kill 44 of the 48 victim officers. Four officers were killed with vehicles used as weapons. Of the 44 officers killed by firearms:

• 34 were slain with handguns
    • 7 with rifles
    • 1 with a shotgun
    • 2 with firearms in which the types of firearms were unknown or not reported
    https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/pr...e-line-of-duty
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

So... mdh is clueless. Or disingenuous. Or both.

I think we've show that. In general, and with just two responses on this thread.

I therefore propose a cessation of engagement on this thread.

Can we at least show some self-restraint on just this one thread? You don't have to answer... please don't. Just nod.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Unwittingly... he fails to grasp the dynamic, and comments instead on systemic cluelessness.
    It's not unwitting.

It's calculated.

Believing this gives him permission to . . .
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    It's not unwitting.

It's calculated.

Believing this gives him permission to . . .
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Sorry, dude.

I didn't see your request, before.

Shall I delete?
    Rattling the teacups.

eject! eject! eject!
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

So... mdh is clueless. Or disingenuous. Or both.

I think we've show that. In general, and with just two responses on this thread.

Can we at least show some self-restraint on just this one thread? You don't have to answer... please don't. Just nod.
    You haven’t “show” anything. Peerie Maa’s post shows mine to be accurate. I got 9 & 10, and chose to go with the higher number because it was more detailed. You are welcome to vacate this thread anytime, due to the level of your input it’ll be unnoticed, i assure you.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

, , , ,
    The thread title is accurate
    blacks are 13% of the US population but 25% of those shot by cops.
    David, please accept my apologies.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Abort! Abort! Abort!
    Fixed that.

Rattling the teacups.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Suck on this meh. Also, you're talking about shooting. What about the murder of a black by a cop choking him to death. Happened within the last two weeks, surprised you've forgotten already

Between 2013 and 2019, police in the United States killed 7,666 people, according to data compiled by Mapping Police Violence, a research and advocacy group. On May 25, 2020 at 9:25pm (02:25 GMT, May 26), George Floyd, a 46-year-old resident of Minnesota, became yet another victim of police brutality as he was killed in police custody while unarmed. Floyd's death has prompted thousands of protesters to march in cities around the country demanding justice and an end to police violence.
    The number of police killings in the US disproportionately affects African Americans. Despite only making up 13 percent of the US population, Black Americans are two-and-a-half times as likely as white Americans to be killed by the police.
    The map below shows how disproportionate these killings are across the US's 50 states.
    Unsurprisingly, the three largest states - California, Texas and Florida - have the highest total number of killings of Black people by police officers. Once these figures are adjusted for the population size and demographics, in nearly every state, African Americans face a significantly higher risk of being killed by police officers than white Americans.
    In Utah, the African Americans comprise just 1.06 percent of the population but they accounted for 10 percent of police killings over the past seven years - a disproportional rate of 9.21 times. In Minnesota, Black Americans are nearly four times as likely to be killed by law enforcement, with Black victims comprising 20 percent of those killed, despite comprising only 5 percent of the overall population.

According to the Washington Post 10 unarmed black people were shot by cops last year.
    Five of them attacked the policeman before being shot and no charges were filed.
    One was accidentally shot while attempting to take the policeman's gun, no charges were filed.
    Of the remaining four, two resulted in charges filed against the policeman.

Ok, let's look at systemic racism, the terminology yada yada. Doesn't always mean overt hatred or even distain, nor deliberate oppression although it can mean all the above and more.

Here is an example of systemic racism:
    I collect books on the topic of Australian Aborigines. I picked one up thismorning:

First, while it is good info in many respects and every reference to them is positive and even affirming, the whole book is written as if they are no longer in existence, a past race. To take this a bit further it could be said there is an implied assumption that the Australian Aboriginal is an extinct race. Assimilation of the Australian Aborigine into European culture until they where all "assimilated ( no Aboriginality left in them) was the Govt policy until relatively recent times and the legacy of this European attitude is evident in the way this book is written. The author probably has no overt negative issue with Aboriginies but when ever a member of the various nations read the book i reckon they would think hey you silly white fella where still here.

Second the book mainly looks at them as if all where from the outback desert not the fertile lands that europeans farm. Together with this there is only a description of the them as nomadic hunter gatherer. There is no mention of the aquaculture of South Western Victoria that my father told me about as a kid and is now well known and documented, no mention of the permanent stone housing nor the land managment for fire controll ans the harvesting of yams and grass seed.

Third they are treated as one people rather than as Europeans see themselvs Duthch French German English Irish Serbia and Croatia etc etc: and still most European Australians think of them as one nation of people even though most not all are trying to grow out of racist attitudes.
    For a list of Nations and Tribal groupings:
    List of Australian Aboriginal group names - Wikipedia

Last edited by Hallam; 06-04-2020 at 06:43 PM.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

Thanks Hallam, Iam a;ways conflicted when criticising America on the subject. Our inarceration rates are way worse, over 35% for a 3% of acrual population.

And for Barney if he's reading any of this……..

Peace to you, keep safe and well.