Thread: On this day in 1945 Audie Murphy earned the Congressional Medal of Honor

Default On this day in 1945 Audie Murphy earned the Congressional Medal of Honor

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...with-a-50-cal/

By the end of the war Audie Murphy became the most decorated American soldier in WWII. On VE Day (Victory in Europe) May 8, 1945, Murphy was only 20 years old. As was my WWII veteran father.

Most Americans today know him - if at all - merely as a B Western Hollywood star.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 01-26-2021 at 07:52 PM.
    "You can't have a country where somebody loses an election and becomes president of the United States." -- Donald J. Trump, December 9, 2020 at the White House Hannukah party

Default Re: On this day in 1945 Audie Murphy earned the Congressional Medal of Honor

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...with-a-50-cal/

By the end of the war Audie Murphy became the most decorated American soldier in WWII. On VE Day (Victory in Europe) May 8, 1945, Murphy was only 20 years old. As was my WWII veteran father.

Most Americans today know him - if at all - merely as a B Western Hollywood star.
    Back in the day, everyone knew the history of Audie Murphy. Then perhaps decades later, not, but these days, anyone perusing his IMDB or Wiki page will see everything right up top. Top paragraph on IMDB:

Audie Murphy became a national hero during World War II as the most decorated combat soldier of the war. Among his 33 awards was the Medal of Honor, the highest award for bravery that a soldier can receive. In addition, he was also decorated for bravery by the governments of France and Belgium, and was credited with killing over 240 German soldiers and wounding and capturing many more.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Default Re: On this day in 1945 Audie Murphy earned the Congressional Medal of Honor

I love Audie Murphy movies! He was no Randolph Scott...but he was pretty good!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

In the early 90s Audie Murphy’s son Terry had a website full of interviews with people who were friends of his dad. They were fascinating. One of Audie’s closest friends was character actor Jack Elam.
    A group of WW2 buffs found the tank destroyer that Murphy used in the standoff that earned the MOH. After the war, a farmer had buldozed the wreckage into a small grove of trees beside his field. The engine and major bits had been removed, but the hull was still full of brass from the .50.

I could only find one page saved on The Wayback Machine. Here tis:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20201121...ans-MPWest.pdf
    Last edited by Jim Bow; 01-26-2021 at 10:44 PM.
    The Algorithm Is Watching