Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump rewards Stone

Default Trump rewards Stone

Commutes Roger Stone's sentence tonight, and every single Republican of note licks up the dog vomit from the ground. Lindsay Graham whines about the senior citizen first time offender's Covid risks in jail.

Commutes, not pardons, you note. Which I think leaves Stone's 5th Amendment intact, in the event he is called to testify.

Stone had asked today for a commutation, noting that he had been under pressure to roll on Trump, but he wouldn't cooperate and tell the truth. Neal Katyal thinksvthat Stone's comments may have actually given a rare legit role to have the other Branches overturn the act. As it could hardly be more corrupt than rewarding a friend for stiffing the FBI in an investigation into yourself.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Default Re: Trump rewards Stone

the king bestows his blessing

I am beginning to admire the French.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

At grave risk of saying bannable things.

Who wants to start a pool on when Flynn's pardon comes in? He could have been commuted by now too, if only he had sucked it up.

Tom pretty well summed it up. "every single Republican of note licks up the dog vomit from the ground" is an entirely apt description. How do these people sleep at night?

I saw an article tonight about how Biden has stopped saying that Republicans will have an epiphany when Trump leaves. 'bout time he realizes that these people have no concern about the best interests of our country.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

This is a slow rolling coup. And his base - see the representatives in our little forum - cheer it.

Simply unspeakably corrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Tom pretty well summed it up. "every single Republican of note licks up the dog vomit from the ground" is an entirely apt description. How do these people sleep at night?

I saw an article tonight about how Biden has stopped saying that Republicans will have an epiphany when Trump leaves. 'bout time he realizes that these people have no concern about the best interests of our country.
    You maybe well be right. But I'm not positive. It's remarkable, in my experience, how quickly behaviors can change, and positions are modified, when the political winds shift. Esp. among the spineless, venal, and corrupt. Recent Example -- have you seen the AntiTrump Ad that shows Lyndsay Graham's comments about Trump before he gained power? A 180 degree shift from some pretty blunt, rude, and cutting characterizations. Now he's leading the pack to lick up that vomit.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I begin to think admiring thoughts about Italian partisans and lamp posts. And that is the WRONG thing to think the wrong tack to take

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    You maybe well be right. But I'm not positive. It's remarkable, in my experience, how quickly behaviors can change, and positions are modified, when the political winds shift. Esp. among the spineless, venal, and corrupt. Recent Example -- have you seen the AntiTrump Ad that shows Lyndsay Graham's comments about Trump before he gained power? A 180 degree shift from some pretty blunt, rude, and cutting characterizations. Now he's leading the pack to lick up that vomit.
    Like McConnell & company played so nicely with Biden the first 8 years...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I'm not at all surprised. We've all known for a long time that Trump is the most amoral, unethical man ever to occur the WH. He and Stone are soul mates, but come next Jan 20th, they will go into the dustbin of history.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

A criminal cabal.

When Trump and the GOP are swept away by the blue tidal wave coming, here's hoping they all wash up the river to something solid that they cannot escape from.

They are an existential threat to the entire planet.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Commutes Roger Stone's sentence tonight, and every single Republican of note licks up the dog vomit from the ground. Lindsay Graham whines about the senior citizen first time offender's Covid risks in jail.

Commutes, not pardons, you note. Which I think leaves Stone's 5th Amendment intact, in the event he is called to testify.

Stone had asked today for a commutation, noting that he had been under pressure to roll on Trump, but he wouldn't cooperate and tell the truth. Neal Katyal thinksvthat Stone's comments may have actually given a rare legit role to have the other Branches overturn the act. As it could hardly be more corrupt than rewarding a friend for stiffing the FBI in an investigation into yourself.
    Can they?
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Or the Russians. Fast forward to 1:55:

When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Vive le Rasoir National!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I'm not at all surprised. We've all known for a long time that Trump is the most amoral, unethical man ever to occur the WH. He and Stone are soul mates, but come next Jan 20th, they will go into the dustbin of history.
    I certainly hope so. I wonder if the timing of this is in any way connected to Epstein's madam...

Jeff C

I had noted that the Royal Preogative to override the law had been excercised again, but not unexpected I'd say.
    I don't know why anyone obeys the laws if the nations top judicial officer (and everything else) flouts it at every opportunity.
    Not that I expect that to change, too many presidents have used it to their own advantage.

I wonder if Stone will continue his appeals case, which he is likely to win?
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

And you think he'll win why exactly?

Stone better have his tattoo of Nixon removed so he can put one if Trump in its place. There is not room for two tattoos.

Birds of a feather; both are P'sOS.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Trying to imagine being on the team that thinks commuting Stone’s sentence is a good thing.

Even William Barr called Stone’s prosecution “righteous”.

President Trump is reliably wrong on absolutely everything. But sometimes he really puts the cherry on top of the sundae of self-dealing corruption.

Can't easily link from my phone through a,Twitter post but David Frum has a nes bit at the Atlantic about the commutation which is superb.

And the winner is.

" President Obama’s 1,385 commutation grants – which includes 504 life sentences – is also more than the total number of commutations issued by the past 12 presidents combined. And with today’s 64 pardons, the President has now granted a total of 212 pardons.

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov...ations-history

Surprised considering how much time he spends on the golf courses. So tell my wood chips, how many of the 212 pardons were for his buddies who lied etc. to protect him?

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    Surprised considering how much time he spends on the golf courses. So tell my wood chips, how many of the 212 pardons were for his buddies who lied etc. to protect him?
    Didn't like that FACT ah, do your own homework. Obama, "more than the total number of commutations issued by the past 12 presidents combined"

Yeah. We are aware of the Clemency Initiative that the Department of Justice administered at Obama's prompting. The DoJ still has the web page up about the initiative, and the clear and impartial criteria used to identify and recommend specific individuals for one or another Presidential intervention to reduce sentences, commute, or pardon low level, non-violent first time offenders with no links to organized crime, no significant risk of reoffending, and who have already served at least 10 years for their crime.

That was a policy driven initiative, and frankly is consistent with perhaps the only positive thing that Kushner (criminal justice reforms, allegedly approved by Trump) has accomplished in the last 4 years. Obama did not know pretty much any of those who benefited from his pardons etc, which was the point.

Trump sh1tcanned the initiative, and has exercised pardon power almost exclusively for people who are icons of the RWW media world, and often are personally known to Trump. See the difference?

We sure do.

Quote Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
    Didn't like that FACT ah, do your own homework. Obama, "more than the total number of commutations issued by the past 12 presidents combined"
    Nice deflection. I accepted the number that Obama pardoned but, my ecceptance was close as you posted them. Like Trump, you appear to lie just as constantly. So wood chips, how many of the 212 pardons Trump gave out were for his personal friends? Some even lied to protect HIM.

Would you like to identify an Obama commutation which is equivalent to Trump’s of Stone?

Do you think Stone’s sentence should have been commuted?

And the winner is.

" President Obama’s 1,385 commutation grants – which includes 504 life sentences – is also more than the total number of commutations issued by the past 12 presidents combined. And with today’s 64 pardons, the President has now granted a total of 212 pardons.

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov...ations-history
    The frothing rage of the Trumpalo.

Trump supporters DO NOT answer questions, their answers just dig a bu=ig hole for them.

Stone wasn’t convicted of DOING anything wrong, just SAYING something wrong. Are you fellas going to harbor the same sentiments when Clapper, Brennan, and Comey are convicted of both doing something wrong and lying to Congress, or will you find that offensive?
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

Open a book, look at google, stop believing the BS spread by Fox News and your other right wing publications. If you don't you don't because you don't want to know the truth.He was caught lying.. Something you should be familiar with. He lied to Congress. Heck, he probably lied to his mother.

The rewards of lickspttlery.

Commuting a sentence is a legitimate presidential power. Commuting the sentence of a political ally who was convicted of lying to help you - that is the very definition of corruption.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    Stone wasn’t convicted of DOING anything wrong, just SAYING something wrong. Are you fellas going to harbor the same sentiments when Clapper, Brennan, and Comey are convicted of both doing something wrong and lying to Congress, or will you find that offensive?
    Saying something wrong can be doing something wrong. Stone was convicted on one charge of witness tampering and six counts of obstruction of justice and making false statements under oath.

Have the others been indicted for these acts? Of course not.

Attorney General Barr fully endorsed this prosecution and the conviction of Stone. He called it “righteous”. Trump’s commutation is allowed under the Constitution. From here, it becomes a political issue - how will people judge how President Trump has retaliated against those who investigated his acts or provided testimony when asked to do so and how President Trump rewards and protects those who instruct justice, perjure and witness tamper on his behalf?

It speaks for itself.

What’s worse: a weak memory or a malicious prosecution?