Thread: Perseverance rover only three weeks from Mars

Default Perseverance rover only three weeks from Mars

This interactive map shows location but it’s quirky for me.

https://mars.nasa.gov/news/8742/foll...s-way-to-mars/

The last time we saw NASA's Mars 2020 Perseverance rover mission was on July 30, 2020, as it disappeared into the black of deep space on a trajectory for Mars. But with NASA's Eyes on the Solar System, you can follow in real time as humanity's most sophisticated rover – and the Ingenuity Mars Helicopter traveling with it – treks millions of miles over the next six months to Jezero Crater.

"Eyes on the Solar System visualizes the same trajectory data that the navigation team uses to plot Perseverance's course to Mars," said Fernando Abilleira, the Mars 2020 mission design and navigation manager at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Southern California. "If you want to follow along with us on our journey, that's the place to be."

https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/timel.../watch-online/

Tune in Jan. 27 for a Preview to the Mars Landing
    NASA will host a news briefing on Jan. 27 to discuss the upcoming landing of the Mars 2020 Perseverance rover. Hear from NASA leadership and mission team members on what to expect for touchdown on the Red Planet.
    Last edited by LeeG; 01-24-2021 at 08:18 PM.

Default Re: Perseverance rover only three weeks from Mars

That little helo is just about the collect thing they have ever shot into space.
    I can't wait until they send a submarine to Titan.

Don’t forget the helicopter.

https://mars.nasa.gov/files/mars2020..._FactSheet.pdf

check it out, the 4’ blades weigh 35 g.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhsZUZmJvaM

2/3 of battery power is just to keep the batteries and electronics warm. CO2 is the insulation, aerogel was too heavy.
    Last edited by LeeG; 01-24-2021 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    That little helo is just about the collect thing they have ever shot into space.
    I can't wait until they send a submarine to Titan.
    Amazes me that it can get enough juice from its solar panel to charge batteries. 4’ counter rotating blades going 2700 rpm sounds crazy. hopefully Perseverance can record it lifting off.

test, I wonder how they test for a different gravity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAQxNd3uBN0
    Last edited by LeeG; 01-24-2021 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Amazes me that it can get enough juice from its solar panel to charge batteries. 4’ counter rotating blades going 2700 rpm sounds crazy. hopefully Perseverance can record it lifting off.

I don't think those are the same solar panels that mere mortals like you or I can buy. Flight times are going to be kept to around 90 seconds too, so I don't see them needing to charge fully depleted batteries. It's going to all about maintaining a charge. What I found a bit surprising was that there is no way for the helo to dock with the rover to recharge. Though to read its mission it doesn't seem like anything that was designed for more than about a month of operation.

A 4-foot rotor for a 24-ounce craft (Mars weight). That is some thin air.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    I don't think those are the same solar panels that mere mortals like you or I can buy. Flight times are going to be kept to around 90 seconds too, so I don't see them needing to charge fully depleted batteries. It's going to all about maintaining a charge. What I found a bit surprising was that there is no way for the helo to dock with the rover to recharge. Though to read its mission it doesn't seem like anything that was designed for more than about a month of operation.

A 4-foot rotor for a 24-ounce craft (Mars weight). That is some thin air.
    I hope thereís some kind of audio or sound translation from the motors output. A bad landing sure would be catastrophic.

The sun is weaker, but the atmosphere is thinner (less resistance from the blades, but less lift also) and is fighting less gravity. That's a lot of parameters to plug in to design your solar-powered quadcopter, and it's not like you get a chance to call it back and put bigger blades on it or something if the calculations are out. If it works (and I really hope it does) then that is a demonstration of some incredible deign and engineering.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

Whatever happens, we'll all know soon enough. Touchdown is on the 18th of February.

I'll have a litter of tiny pups needing names about then. I guess now one will have to be Rover

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Amazes me that it can get enough juice from its solar panel to charge batteries. 4í counter rotating blades going 2700 rpm sounds crazy. hopefully Perseverance can record it lifting off.

(bold) By today's engineering standards, easy simulations.

The blade lift can easily be modeled for the Martian atmosphere, and then easily tested in a chamber duplicating the Martian atmospheric content and pressure.

Gravity is just a load, evenly distributed. Mars gravity is 38% that of Earth. So in a test chamber of Martian atmosphere, the total blade lift would only need to register 38% to lift the same load as on earth, but remember, the same mass weighs only 38% on Mars, so you take that into consideration. That's for payload, and lifting the weight of the blades and drive system itself. It gets a little tricky in that, in the testing chamber on earth, the blades are subjected to full earth gravity and not the 38% Martian gravity, distributed along the whole radius of the blade, so the shape of the blade with be a touch different on Mars, a little more dihedral flex, but calculated, known, and different samples built and tested on Earth to confirm that is not a problem.

There are other engineering problems that are way more difficult than this particular one, at least in terms of simulation and testing. 50 years ago? Not as easy, a lot more trial and error without the very advanced computational fluid dynamics (CFD) programs we have now, thus more prototypes and testing, but they would still get it right. Except, everything was heavier then as materials were not as advanced, that would be the killer.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Flying a rotary-wing aircraft on Mars is roughly analogous to flying @ 100,000 ft here on earth in so far as atmospheric conditions go.

https://www.insidescience.org/news/h...elicopter-mars

My BIL is a senior project manager for a couple of instruments on the rover, but his main gig was PIXL. I even got a PIXL nerd science t-shirt for Christmas...

https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/space...truments/pixl/

The difficult part of flying the drone is that you can't actively control it from earth due to the time lag. And there isn't a full-coverage GPS satellite network in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    The difficult part of flying the drone is that you can't actively control it from earth due to the time lag. And there isn't a full-coverage GPS satellite network in place.
    Haha! My kids get irritated they canít drive the RC car more than 1/2 mile away.