Thread: What is the largest boat you have single handed?

Default What is the largest boat you have single handed?

By single handed I mean you did everything starting on a dock or mooring, out on the water and returning to the dock/mooring. No help from dock hands.

Sail - Hinckley 49 a couple of times, but I sailed off a mooring. The boat was easy to sail since it had electric in-mast furling on both masts. I never docked that boat alone. I routinely single hand my Allied 36 ketch both off of a finger pier at the marina and more often off of a mooring. I have the boat well set up for single handing so that I can do all sail handling without leaving the cockpit.

Power - I routinely take Tortuga (33') out alone and come back in with no help from dock hands. I have my slip set up for that with a permanently rigged aft spring I can reach from the helm.

Both the Allied and the Tortuga are single engine and neither has a bow thruster.

Default Re: What is the largest boat you have single handed?

Nothing exciting here - a 26ft GRP sloop, fifty mile overnight sail between harbours in Wales.
    Structures uninformed by geometry tend towards the ramshackle.

sailing has always been a social event for me, so no single-handing. Biggest powerboat was a 50-foot lobster boat w/ 750 hp.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Do kayaks count? <G>

Closest thing to that... but not that at all... was getting to take the helm of a CG cutter (hundreds of feet long, I forget what the actual LOA was) in a storm - at age 12 (or 13?). Opposite of 'solo'... I had 'adult supervision' coming out my ears. It's been downhill since then
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I cartopped a snark for two years when I lived in Durango CO.

That would also be the answer to the other What is * boat threads.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Granuaile, 55', 20T. Docked, moored, anchored under sail or power in all weather. Here we are about to dock single-handed, our spot stern or bow to a bulkhead that runs from the other side of the ramp in the lower right of the pic. The engine was down so perforce under sail. Luff up directly to weather our spot, drop sail while coasting ahead, drop the hook, walk the rode aft to cause Granna to point downwind, ease her back till bow is between pilings, and control her the rest of the way in by mooring lines.

A 25 footer, but I don't remember the class. It was a tubby, probably one-off, sailboat.

21' sloop we built as a family when I was a teen. But I didn't sail it often by myself, mostly with Dad or my brother - who were each better sailors than me.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

I single handed a 32' ketch numerous times on the Chesapeake, then down the ICW to Florida, through the Gulf and up the Tenn-Tom. I've locked through single handed. These days sailing is more a social event than not.
    Will

40 feet. But I didnt like it. She was not well set up.I think 34 feet well set up foor singlehanding would be ideal for my taste
    Ragnar B.

Sail: 23 foot schooner. Lots of strings to pull, but good control with a spread out rig. You could pin the tiller and steer with the main and jib

Power: I routinely single hand my Roughwater 35. Single engine. I disconnected the stern thruster many years ago to do some other work and never reconnected it.
    Elect a clown expect a circus

This one. Itís important to know that you can single hand any boat you own, even if you donít intend to.

Note that there is really only one spot where you can step down to a pontoon from... right next to the aftmost shroud (to hold on to) and itís twenty feet from the cockpit! The location of the midships cleat is not a coincidence. Nor is the hammerhead berth!!

in fact we have just parked in the picture
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
    By single handed I mean you did everything starting on a dock or mooring, out on the water and returning to the dock/mooring. No help from dock hands.

Sail - Hinckley 49 a couple of times, but I sailed off a mooring. The boat was easy to sail since it had electric in-mast furling on both masts. I never docked that boat alone. I routinely single hand my Allied 36 ketch both off of a finger pier at the marina and more often off of a mooring. I have the boat well set up for single handing so that I can do all sail handling without leaving the cockpit.

Power - I routinely take Tortuga (33') out alone and come back in with no help from dock hands. I have my slip set up for that with a permanently rigged aft spring I can reach from the helm.

Both the Allied and the Tortuga are single engine and neither has a bow thruster.
    I did a 120 mile delivery trip on a 44 ft Colin Archer type, single handed because the crew didn't turn up and I was angry enough to just get on with it, took a day and a half, no problems.
    I prefer to sail singlehanded, that way I've a chance, slim, but a chance, of winning an argument with the crew.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Same old same as I've bored people here with for the last 14 years, 45 ft ketch .

I sailed a Star boat from Mobile to Fairhope one time by myself. Honestly, not that much experience by myself. Some J/24 sailing. I sail my AMF2100 by myself.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

17 foot CLC kayak. Docking veddy tricky, paddle stick out the side, unstable sumbeech .

Pete

I suppose my 29ft sloop.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Forty footer minus the bowsprit. All manual; no winches, back stays etc as she had in 1927. Oh yea, C'dog helped usually by falling overboard.

But you all knew this!

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    Forty footer minus the bowsprit. All manual; no winches, back stays etc as she had in 1927. Oh yea, C'dog helped usually by falling overboard.

But you all knew this!
    I do so wish that I'd have been able to meet up with you sometime during those years.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Just my boat, 38' Masina.20200613_134815.jpg
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

family friend's Owen's Margarita. Obviously this is not their boat as there are very few around anymore and their's was flattened by a bulldozer 20 years ago.

unnamed.jpg
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Power: 50 foot sportfish.

Sail: I haven't single-handed anything bigger than a Catalina 22 ever.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Singlehanded? My boat - 52' sloop.

One time I started & ended @ the dock too - though coming back to it wasn't exactly pretty. 3 knot current pushing me away from the dock did not help.

On & off the mooring - piece of cake.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Offshore 31 ketch. Cruised single handed for a week, on a couple of occasions.