Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ship accident

Default Ship accident

Today. It would be interesting to see a couple of minutes before the vid started. Good view of how stern swings a greater arc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3Rx...mmc5QY5fc5MvMc

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Default Re: Ship accident

Wow. It appears to be full power astern even after stopping. I wonder if there was anyone in the crane?
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Looks like he had it in reverse, then full reverse.

Perhaps had it been loaded down, the hull wouldn't have reached so far inland.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

That tug seemed pretty much helpless to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    That tug seemed pretty much helpless to do anything.

Betting the tug capt'n would have like to been rig to tow astern. (I mean, turned around)
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

the backround voices sounded like Tagalog. seems outaplace for Korea

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Betting the tug capt'n would have like to been rig to tow astern. (I mean, turned around)
    I know squat about shipping, but why wouldn't they do that by default?

Weird to see metal structures fold and fall like plastic. Imagine if a screwdriver or wrench failed like that turning into a noodle when over stressed.

The screws seemed to be going full blast or at least pretty hard the whole time, not sure if forward or panic reverse, but maybe it just looks strong because I think the ship is unladen so sitting well above loaded waterline and the prop(s) exposed.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Weird to see metal structures fold and fall like plastic. Imagine if a screwdriver or wrench failed like that turning into a noodle when over stressed.
    Two things are going on with the crane in the video. First, it's pushed far enough to overload the diagonal bracing of the legs, and they collapse. Second, columns loaded in compression are imparted with sideload, and buckle, just like stepping on an empty pop can and then tapping the side with your fingers. Buckling failure is always catastrophic.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

I feel better about the mistakes I’ve made today. Hope no one got hurt.

I wonder if that prop was chewing up the bulkhead there at the end.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Today. It would be interesting to see a couple of minutes before the vid started. Good view of how stern swings a greater arc.
    The first minute of this vid is from a different angle. that ship was flying!

that tug was just along for the ride.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Holy F#@%......................................I wonder if they misjudged the current???

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Looks like he had it in reverse, then full reverse.

Perhaps had it been loaded down, the hull wouldn't have reached so far inland.
    Looked to me like full ahead?

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Wow, never should have been going that fast in a port. Someone is never going to captain a ship again. It never ceases to amaze me though, we have cruise ships and near cruise chip sized yachts around here, and they absolutely hate having to use tugs. Personally I'm all for someone with a lot more insurance pulling my over sized butt around.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McMahon View Post
    Wow. It appears to be full power astern even after stopping. I wonder if there was anyone in the crane?

Yes. Crane operator in crane #85 (the one that collapsed) was injured.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by gilberj View Post
    Holy F#@%......................................I wonder if they misjudged the current???

Quote Originally Posted by Corvida View Post
    Wow, never should have been going that fast in a port. Someone is never going to captain a ship again. It never ceases to amaze me though, we have cruise ships and near cruise chip sized yachts around here, and they absolutely hate having to use tugs. Personally I'm all for someone with a lot more insurance pulling my over sized butt around.

The pilot was aboard and presumably in command.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Did they give the pilot a breathalyzer test?

The pilot is not in command. The Ships Master remains in command, and the pilot is there to conduct the navigation (legally 'advising' the Master) within the port. Both are in very deep right now.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I think the second vid is sped up

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    They do...
    A snap on wrench will just go dead soft when it goes beyond yield, most other brands will break.

I like the description- "contacted a crane"
    Maybe a phone call would have been better

I liked the understatement, in contrast to the actual action………………..

Around the USA and most other places I have been in Asia a harbor and Docking Pilot is required for any movement approaching or within a port. This really looks more like a failure in communications- meaning the engine orders system was not responding correctly. As a ship captain myself I have always remembered and advised my mates "If you have to hit something, do it slowly". The tug near the stern was there to push the stern ( breast it) in toward the bulkhead once the ship was in position while lines were sent ashore.

If that was me on Dalia, moving too fast along a dock and then realizing I am headed for a docked vessel ahead, I would have turned hard to starboard and hoped there was still room to clear the other vessel, but never reversed. Shift to neutral, maybe. Reversing would put my stern on the dock for sure.

For last Christmas, my niece and nephew (both maritime cadets) gave me a dog-eared copy of the "Merchant Marine Officer's Handbook" -- By Turpin & MacEwen, copyright 1942. It's a fun read, and I chuckled out loud when I read this pearl.

"Too much headway has gotten more men in trouble than anything else."

Dated gender reference aside, that is as true now as it ever was. When asked to instruct anyone on boat handling, my number one mantra is always "slow is pro". Even if you blow it in a big way, slow speed will usually minimize the damage done.

Quote Originally Posted by gilberj View Post
    For a split second in the video, you can see a flag flapping pretty hard, so I'm thinking that a stiff crosswind might have contributed to this accident.

Also, what was the big burst of black smoke from the stack after the collision? Reversing engines?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by moTthediesel View Post
    I admit I know the sickening feeling when you get when you realize you've lost control of a boat, but fortunately the consequences have been minimal after the few times I have misjudged things.
    Would definitely not like to be anyone on the bridge of this vessel right now.

I am betting on mechanical failure of the engine control system, and not on any failure on the part of the captain and/or pilot.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

1. I think the language is Tagalog and a Filipino ex colleague thinks so too but others think it is Bahasa Indonesia.
    2. The ship is flying light and from the condition of the paint she has just dry docked.
    3. The tug is a water tractor and can exert full power from any direction
    4. The berth at Busan is immediately after a turn to starboard through roughly a right angle; the ship according to the AIS trace was making 9.2 knots before the turn, which is probably slow ahead for her. Coming out of the turn she is still making 5.6 knots which is way too fast.
    5. She may not have been aiming for that berth at all - she may have swung wide on the turn.
    6. Not the Master but the Pilot is at fault here - but it may well be that he was unused to ships with the wheelhouse well forward and he may have been unused to handling ships in light ballast condition.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I know that feeling, impending disaster and nothing you can do to stop it....

Originally Posted by moTthediesel

Yep! The corollary being: Never approach a dock faster than you want to hit it.

And: If you're going to hit something--aim for something cheap!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

In the early '80s before he bought Mya, Ted Kennedy chartered Goblin. The end of the charter was at Baxters on a glorious Sunday afternoon. The deck was mobbed but Baxters' people cleared enough space for three to receive lines. We had about 55' feet warf front. Goblin was 43' on deck plus 6' bowsprit and 3' boomkin. So to get in I just held her still parallel too the dock face and letting the southwest wind push us sideways to the dock.

Kennedys are noted for docking and mooring hot. So there was Ted (always 'Ted' afloat and 'Senator' ashore) at Goblin's waist with a spring line in hand growing more and more impatient as we eased in. Finally he shouted for all to hear, "Damn it Ian. You land like old people f*@#."