Thread: President Sanders

Default President Sanders

The next president of the United States will be Bernie Sanders.

A "prediction"? No. But I believe that is the most likely solution to the probability function given initial conditions today.

Bear with me:

- the coronavirus pandemic is about to break out everywhere, including the US.

- I predict that by this time next week the coverage in the press will be quite different, and that there will be multiple treads about COVID-19 in the Bilge.

- given the US healthcare system, we are likely to see story after story of people with no insurance, or whose insurance is only for a hospital that is overflowing, suffering more because of it.

- this is likely to make the pandemic worse in the US in some ways. The election season will amplify this.

- Bernie Sanders is the only candidate calling for universal health care in the US regardless of cost. There is nothing like a pandemic to prove his point.

Default Re: President Sanders

You may have a very valid point.

Ah, but the Donald is about to roll out his 'better than Obamacare' package....... isn't he? :-)

Trump the anti-science germophobe? Can't wait to see how coherent his response is.

Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    - Bernie Sanders is the only candidate calling for universal health care in the US regardless of cost. There is nothing like a pandemic to prove his point.
    Except there will still be people, some here, who will be saying "we dont want not of that Communist stuff in America", while seeing their fellow Americans drop like flies. Call it Darwin effect.......
    Ian. AKA RusBot

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    A sure sign of the Apocalypse.

I agree with Skaraborgcraft.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I want my tonsils back.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Nah. Sanders might become President but not because of this.

So far in 2019-2020 16,000 Americans have died of influenza and 280,000 have been hospitalized. This is not a particularly bad year. Coronavirus is worrying, but at least this year will be a rounding error among upper respiratory viruses.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post

So far in 2019-2020 16,000 Americans have died of influenza and 280,000 have been hospitalized. This is not a particularly bad year. Coronavirus is worrying, but at least this year will be a rounding error among upper respiratory viruses.

But this virus is NEW. The common flu us old news and people are complacent. If you wanted to scare people into action over the common flu, you would have to pick a specific strain and use its latin name, something folks arent familiar with.

People spook easily

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post

Let's say 20% of the US population gets the virus this year. A low percentage - more likely to be around 60%.

Let's say "only" 1% dies, and a further 5% survive but have a hard time getting cared for and suffer as a consequence. Again, peanuts compared to the percentages we are seeing elsewhere.

That's 600 thousand dead and 3 million very pissed. Plus their friends and families. Plus millions more who get medical care but are stuck with a big bill.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Unlikely, especially in 2020.
    As of today, WHO reports 78,000 cases worldwide (compared to 42 million cases of influenza in the US alone last year.)
    The fatality rate of Coronavirus in China is 3%, but 0.8% in the rest of the world. Influenza last year killed about 0.1% of those who contracted it but has gone as high as 20% in 1918.
    Coronavirus is worrying, and isolation and other efforts to contain it are good ideas. But it will not overrun American or other western healthcare systems, at least not this year.

When an asteroid heads straight for a collision with Earth, a few days before it is just a dot in the sky, visible only by telescope, and not appearing to be move towards the Earth at all.

Those who don't grasp orbital mechanics might be forgiven for supposing that it probably won't hit, and that it is too small and distant to worry about.

I don't understand the American voting public. Assuming Sanders is president, or Bloomberg, or Warren, or Biden, etc. it is likely the senate will flip.

Congress will send bills increasing the minimum wage (may $12, rather than $15), addressing climate change, election security, improving healthcare, etc.

Those bills will be the same regardless of which of the democratic nominees if president, and whomever that if will sign those bills.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

See? It already started:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/health-care/article240476806.html

“How can they expect normal citizens to contribute to eliminating the potential risk of person-to-person spread if hospitals are waiting to charge us $3,270 for a simple blood test and a nasal swab?”

A. I'm not clear yet that Sanders will be the Democratic candidate... though it appears headed that way at the moment.

B. Presidents who have the good luck to be in office during a decent/good economic stretch have a very high re-election rate. Forget that it was actually Obama's recovery. Forget that a downturn would likely have happened by now, but for the cynical Trump strategy of boosting things with a fiscal stimulus that was ill-timed and stupidly targeted. That's all nuance that voters don't tend to examine. And forget that his stimulus saddles the economy with a huge future debt to pay off. That's in the future... who's worried? Certainly not Trump... he could care less. And, sadly, and more importantly, not most voters. They tend to judge only by how things have been lately.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

By Sanders saying that communist Cuba hasn't been all bad - he lost south Florida and the state.

Watch what happens to support for Sanders when markets crash due to the pandemic, and the "capitalist system" appears to fail once again.

For once Florida gets to play the role of the sanity-check.
    The true patriotism, the only rational patriotism, is loyalty to the Nation ALL the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    By Sanders saying that communist Cuba hasn't been all bad - he lost south Florida and the state.
    Whelp, he sealed his fate. He aint gonna win now.

i like this

but could you flesh this out some for us and add a rww conspiracy theory on how china started the corona virus to ultimately lead to trump's defeat?

editorially speaking, it would be great if you could work this story line into a thread somehow titled "do you think. . ."

thanks,

paul
    Quote Originally Posted by George.
    The next president of the United States will be Bernie Sanders.

A "prediction"? No. But I believe that is the most likely solution to the probability function given initial conditions today.

Bear with me:

- the coronavirus pandemic is about to break out everywhere, including the US.

- I predict that by this time next week the coverage in the press will be quite different, and that there will be multiple treads about COVID-19 in the Bilge.

- given the US healthcare system, we are likely to see story after story of people with no insurance, or whose insurance is only for a hospital that is overflowing, suffering more because of it.

- this is likely to make the pandemic worse in the US in some ways. The election season will amplify this.

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    i like this

but could you flesh this out some for us and add a rww conspiracy theory on how china started the corona virus to ultimately lead to trump's defeat?

editorially speaking, it would be great if you could work this story line into a thread somehow titled "do you think. . ."

thanks,

paul
    I just wanna see George. and C. Ross in a pit, armed with only their wits.

I would pay good money to be a fly on that wall.

I don't know either of these gentlemen, so I don't know whether they would fight or befriend each other, or become friends after a fight, or what-all, but seeing it go down would be worth a few money.
    Rattling the teacups.

Of course if the virus hits the US, you might lose both old men to it. They are well in the demographic most effected, and not in the best of condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    For once Florida gets to play the role of the sanity-check.
    We're all doomed...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

George and Cris would immediately become great friends. Never fear.74
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

i could get behind a president sanders

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    George and Cris would immediately become great friends. Never fear.74
    I just want to see those two intellects interact, is all.
    Rattling the teacups.

Why would I hate someone I disagree with politically (assuming I do)? As long as they are reasonable, I can accept their views even if I disagree.

What I can't stomach is political hypocrisy. For example, tolerating a president because he cuts your taxes while publicly pretending that you admire his morals.

Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    Why would I hate someone I disagree with politically (assuming I do)? As long as they are reasonable, I can accept their views even if I disagree.

What I can't stomach is political hypocrisy. For example, tolerating a president because he cuts your taxes while publicly pretending that you admire his morals.
    OK. I still wanna see you two get into a detailed discussion about something.

I think it's 'cause neither of you make flat-out declarations of fact except on rare occasions, and then only when you are dead certain.

I wanna be a fly on that wall!
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Of course if the virus hits the US, you might lose both old men to it. They are well in the demographic most effected, and not in the best of condition.
    So It really is gonna ratchet up the whole VP effect...
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

I dunno if the VP effect can get any bigger in an election between 80-somethings.
    The true patriotism, the only rational patriotism, is loyalty to the Nation ALL the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it.