Thread: What's the most found thing that you have found?

Default What's the most found thing that you have found?

A 'found' story, rather than 'lost and found':

A few weeks ago a friend told a story that many years ago he wanted some hen pheasant feathers for fly-tying. He decided to go to the pheasant grounds north of town and look for a road kill along the highway. He walked along the highway for just a minute or two, flushed a hen pheasant, and it flew across the road and was hit by a truck.

Default Re: What's the most found thing that you have found?

ooof.

that calls to mind the video (speaking of youtube challenges) of the falconer who lets his prize falcon go in a field next to a freeway, and it flies directly into the front of a truck. awk-werrrd.

i found an envelope of cash in my truck that i hadn't lost but had simply forgotten about. probably at least two years jammed up under the driver's seat. i don't use that hiding spot anymore so don't get any ideas.

In the 80s, Paul Simon inspired me to hit the road and look for America. But it wasn't missing, it was there all along.

Didn'the happen to me but years ago a guy here went to an auto wreckers ard to find the floor carpet for his pickup. Found the right one, tore it up and found something else. He bought the carpet for $40.
    The something else, $1,400.
    basil

A friend was remodeling his house & found a # of things. A bunch of newspapers from the 1880's & 2 quarters, also from the 1880's. I'm not a collector & don;t remember the details, but the 2 quarters paid for reinsulating & sheetrocking the entire wall.

I found a $100 bill floating in the water next to a dock on Friday the 13th. I've always figured them as lucky since then. No more found bills though.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

i was helping an antique dealer to load stuff he had bought in a house clearance . his wife was downstairs chatting to the vendor as we grunted a rather nice three drawer credenza down the narrow stairs.
    As we turned at the last flight a drawer slid open and fell, and behind it was lodged a small packet .
    His wife said ' ooh look this must be yours' , and handed the envelope to the erstwhile owner..... 4000 in notes,
    I seriously thought her husband was going to have a heart attack, his face was the colour of a a boozer's nose. As he tried to say that the furniture was now his, and all in it, his wife said , 'no Dear we haven't paid Mrs Bloggs yet. ...'
    Mrs B bunged us each a tip of a 20 note, but I hate to think what happened later at the marital nest......ouch.
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

Last year a friend of mine goes about looking for stuff to resale at the flea market.
    So he starts looking through one fellows lawn sale asks him to tell him when he's reached $100. A while later the fellow says that's $100. Pays him. Gets home finds 3 $100 bills in a money belt he'd just bought.
    basil

Throughout my childhood and well into adulthood I would have dreams in which I find money, lots of it, usually change, on the ground, say in the dirt of street curbs. I think it is because we were allowed to room free around town, as kids did long ago, and would end up hungry, far from home, with no money in our pockets, staring at vending machines.

I read once that here in the USA if someone is presented with a series of circles and asked to state which circle is the size of a quarter, their choice correlates with their socio-economic status, poorer people trend toward choosing larger circles and wealthier people smaller circles. I wonder if dreams of finding money correlate with socio-economic status.

I completely forgot one. Last summer I got a call from an architectural salvage place in Portland, OR.

"You don't know me, but I'm ... from... & I believe you own a boat named Neoga2. I found the info from a web search on the Wooden Boat Forum."

"Yes, I own that boat."

"We just got the contents of a house & included is a 6' long tiller with Neoga II carved in it."

Neoga was converted to a wheel sometime in the 60's & came through the canal from the west coast around then. I have absolutely no idea how her original tiller ended up in Portland, as AFAIK she only lived in Seattle & somewhere in CA when she was on the west coast.

Anyway - even though not installed - she now has her original tiller. Shipping that thing was not cheap (and the salvage place wanted some money for it - though a very fair price) - the brothers who did all her hardware did not skimp on the bronze. Probably weighs 100 lbs.

My farmer brother-in-law bought a trashed school bus at auction for $1. (no one else wanted the thing). Once home, they took the motor out and installed it in one of the farm trucks. Going through the bus, they found a $1 bill tucked down in one of the seats.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

While I was building my fantail launch a few years ago, fellow Forum member Oldad (Grant) knew I was looking for an old spoked helm. He was at the WoodenBoat show and saw a nice antique one in the consignment booth. He called me up and I said "Sure I'd like it". He bought it for me and even went out of his way to hand deliver it on his way home. $100 well spent.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    While I was building my fantail launch a few years ago, fellow Forum member Oldad (Grant) knew I was looking for an old spoked helm. He was at the WoodenBoat show and saw a nice antique one in the consignment booth. He called me up and I said "Sure I'd like it". He bought it for me and even went out of his way to hand deliver it on his way home. $100 well spent.
    I know of a huge hoard of wheels in an old firehouse in Searsport...

My thrill.

Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    My thrill.

On Blueberry Hill?

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    On Blueberry Hill?
    At the Blue Hole, actually.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5189...!3m1!1e3?hl=en
    Rattling the teacups.

Not to be confused with the Blue Bayou...