Thread: With 4-hour round trip, FedEx buses workers from the Delta to Memphis hub

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Default With 4-hour round trip, FedEx buses workers from the Delta to Memphis hub

At 7 p.m. Monday through Friday, FedEx employee Andrea Anderson begins her two-hour bus ride from Cleveland, Mississippi, to reach her job at the Express World Hub in Memphis.

Once Anderson and the other FedEx workers on the bus arrive, they eat at the cafeteria and clock in for their outbound operations jobs around 10:30 p.m., she said. After five hours, the workers clock out and take the bus back home to Cleveland, returning to the Delta city by 6 a.m.

“It’s fine because half of the time we sleep,” Anderson, 51, said of the four-hour round trip.

Anderson is one of nearly 200 employees bused from Cleveland to the Memphis hub and back again every weekday. FedEx foots the transportation costs for these workers, who put in about 25 hours weekly sorting packages, loading containers and unloading oddly sized shipments.

FedEx says the busing, which it calls a pilot program, is mutually beneficial: The shipping giant fills positions the dwindling number of Memphis job-seekers aren’t jumping on, while Clevelanders get accessible employment opportunities the Delta is lacking in.

Permanent part-time employees at the hub make a minimum of $13 an hour, with benefits eligibility coming after 90 days of service.

“For FedEx, applications are up and we are filling open positions. For the residents of Cleveland, jobs with benefits are just a bus ride away,”

https://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...bs/2595237002/

That's what, $7.00 an hour if you include travel time? Something like that.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Default Re: With 4-hour round trip, FedEx buses workers from the Delta to Memphis hub

Better than no dollars per hour...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Default Re: With 4-hour round trip, FedEx buses workers from the Delta to Memphis hub

Alabama has always had a better slave market than Tennessee. And 7 dollars an hour isn't minimum wage.

Nope, it isn't, but it is seven dollars per hour more than nothing. Some might even use the down-time of travelling to improve themselves by reading and studying.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Nope, it isn't, but it is seven dollars per hour more than nothing. Some might even use the down-time of travelling to improve themselves by reading and studying.
    The whole article is interesting.

One lady rides up, does a night shift, rides back, rides up, does a day shift, rides back, visits with a relative, rides up, does a night shift, and rides back.

Even sleeping on the bus, it is a tough way to make a living. But it does make me remember some of what I did to earn money as a youth.
    Life is complex.

F ind
    E very
    M exican
    A vailable

or bring back slavery. Or bus them in from wherever. Whatever's cheapest.
    Trust me to defend the Constitution just as soon as I'm sure you're going to vote for me again.

Back in 09 DHL move its sort facility from CVG to Wilmington OH. The only problem was there’s no body in Wilmington OH. They started up a similar busing operation from Cincinnati. About 5 years later they moved back to CVG (no doubt with another KY tax break).
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

improve employees? Most of these 13 dollars per hour folks are struggling. Since when did FedEX ever care about employees? Perhaps you drank to much of their commercial Koolaid. They are known for running through employees and having difficult HR conditions. Well known when Injured and pregnant employees are let go when the seem to hurt due to accommodations.

Moreover That kind of thing for hourly employees is illegal in California,- it is an dodge to to pay health and welfare benefits. Many of these folks on the bus will not ever qualify for medical or retirement in the way the do the scheduling.

Moreover it not would be better to pay 21 dollars an hour starting to the Memphis metro airport which FedEx directly uses and pollutes.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 12-08-2019 at 04:28 PM.

Default With 4-hour round trip, FedEx buses workers from the Delta to Memphis hub

I know many people who have two hour commutes. That part is not remarkable ( at least to me). And, most people have to pay for their own commutation, so I am not sure calculating commute time into work time is a fair way to look at it.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    improve employees? Most of these 13 dollars per hour folks are struggling. Since when did FedEX ever care about employees? Perhaps you drank to much of their commercial Koolaid. They are known for running through employees and having difficult HR conditions. Well known when Injured and pregnant employees are let go when the seem to hurt due to accommodations.

Moreover That kind of thing for hourly employees is illegal in California,- it is an dodge to to pay health and welfare benefits. Many of these folks on the bus will not ever qualify for medical or retirement in the way the do the scheduling.

Moreover it not would be better to pay 21 dollars an hour starting to the Memphis metro airport which FedEx directly uses and pollutes.
    Well, Ted, you make a convincing argument. I guess it would be better if these unfortunate victims of corporate greed just stayed home, tried to get welfare, and became destitute while your packages of motorcycle parts for your precious beemers went undelivered. What's that? You would never use FedEx because they are such poor corporate citizens? So who do you support? Jeff Bezos? USPS?

Well, Ted, you make a convincing argument. I guess it would be better if these unfortunate victims of corporate greed just stayed home, tried to get welfare, and became destitute while your packages of motorcycle parts for your precious beemers went undelivered. What's that? You would never use FedEx because they are such poor corporate citizens? So who do you support? Jeff Bezos? USPS?
    you obviously do not know the legacy of area and disregard the treatment of labor. I would have never guessed you would have been a proponent of slave legacy suppression and thought sharecropping mentality as they know it there was fair.

4C2A17F3-DBA3-478B-9CA9-190B4309F717.jpg

In your argument - slaves and sharecroppers got to eat was fair while others profited greatly.

We are not that far historically from those who work at less then minimum wage now and their grandparents who were poorly treated sharecroppers and slaves.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 12-09-2019 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    you obviously do not know the legacy of area and disregard the treatment of labor. I would have never guessed you would have been a proponent of slave legacy suppression and thought sharecropping mentality as they know it there was fair.

4C2A17F3-DBA3-478B-9CA9-190B4309F717.jpg

In your argument - slaves and sharecroppers got to eat was fair while others profited greatly.

We are not that far historically from those who work at less then minimum wage now and their grandparents who were poorly treated sharecroppers and slaves.
    A very poor picture.

What would be stored in those bags hanging in the trees?
    I live and drink rum where other people vacation.

I can’t speak to the employees doing the sorting in the Memphis hub, but I do know the FedEx pilots are treated pretty well. Of course a Union helps.
    Their pay rates are actually higher than at the big 4 major airlines, and I believe they still have a traditional pension. Of course most of their flying is on the backside of the clock (which I would not care to do).
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Wow, Ted. You are really lathered up over this, aren't you...

Cast all the nasty aspersions at me that you wish, I am impervious to such drivel. If you think that suffering the lengthy bus ride to work is worse than unemployment and destitution, if your distain for a company is so strong that you would wish unemployment on people to cause them harm, then, my son, you are suffering from an extreme case of white privilege. Deal with it how you will; calling me names or saying that I am a proponent of slavery just makes you look silly and petty. Good day, sir.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

I am sitting about 30 miles south of Cleveland, Mississippi. This is one of the most impoverished areas in the US and I can remember scenes somewhat similar to Ted's photo when I was young, but I doubt that you could find that now. My father's grandfather was a sharecropper, My grandfather left home at about 14 years old as the family couldn't afford to support him. Actually Cleveland seems to be doing better than most Delta towns. Delta State University is there as is the only Grammy museum outside of Los Angeles. They have a really nice Christmas light display which I will probably go back up for again. There is a new boutique hotel downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    I can’t speak to the employees doing the sorting in the Memphis hub, but I do know the FedEx pilots are treated pretty well. Of course a Union helps.
    Their pay rates are actually higher than at the big 4 major airlines, and I believe they still have a traditional pension. Of course most of their flying is on the backside of the clock (which I would not care to do).

I understand that FedEx Express has the world's largest cargo aircraft fleet with more than 650 planes and jets, and is also the largest operator of the following aircraft Airbus A300, ATR 42, Cessna 208, McDonnell Douglas DC-10/MD-10, and the McDonnell Douglas MD-11, while on the other hand UPS has a larger fleet of ground vehicles.

FedEx package sorting is a dead end, physically grueling, horrible job. It’s a great example of how the exploitative work practices people find horrible in manufacturing got moved to retail and logistics and suddenly people stopped caring. “Better than starvation” is the same horrible argument made to excuse workplace abuses in the Edwardian era.

and no, it’s not just fedex. Amazon runs buses from the public housing complex in map that 5 died in last week. It’s neovictorian crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    FedEx package sorting is a dead end, physically grueling, horrible job. It’s a great example of how the exploitative work practices people find horrible in manufacturing got moved to retail and logistics and suddenly people stopped caring. “Better than starvation” is the same horrible argument made to excuse workplace abuses in the Edwardian era.

and no, it’s not just fedex. Amazon runs buses from the public housing complex in map that 5 died in last week. It’s neovictorian crap.
    In addition the delivery drivers are under gear pressure to deliver 'X' number of packages a day

It seems an average FedEx driver can deliver anywhere between 75 and 125 packages per day!

while at UPS, the average driver makes about 120 deliveries per day, says Jack Levis, the shipping giant's director of process management.

120 in an 8 hour shift is 15 per hour, or one every four minutes. That is a significant pace for 8 hours.

Wow, Ted. You are really lathered up over this, aren't you...

Cast all the nasty aspersions at me that you wish, I am impervious to such drivel. If you think that suffering the lengthy bus ride to work is worse than unemployment and destitution, if your distain for a company is so strong that you would wish unemployment on people to cause them harm, then, my son, you are suffering from an extreme case of white privilege. Deal with it how you will; calling me names or saying that I am a proponent of slavery just makes you look silly and petty. Good day, sir.
    Father - i know this comment below to be true based on my video work covering Fedex. I don’t disparage hard work or job opportunity. I also know that there was a reason why Memphis was picked for more reasons than location - it was for looser labor laws, being a right to work state and very pro business. I do not agree with those who justify to a system does break folks in poor negotiation position and dodge responsibility. If you want to label me - you can call me a pro union and pro worker. If you seek an adjective which I would like to call you - fair, compassionate and kind might be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 12-09-2019 at 04:07 PM.