Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think the Coronavirus pandemic could lead to national socialized medicine?

Default Do you think a Novel Coronavirus pandemic could lead to national socialized medicine?

Imagine if the coronavirus pandemic became a national health crisis... Do you think this wildfire virus outbreak could trigger a direction toward national socialized health care?

To contain the virus - government paid healthcare may be needed to address all those who do not have insurance or the hundred of millions who are under insured. It would be a big step toward treating the illness and its aftereffects. In a way - federal socialized medical care.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 02-24-2020 at 04:20 PM.

Default Re: Do you think the Coronavirus pandemic could lead to national socialized medicine?

I read the reports of the disease differently than you do. It appears a large number of people have essentially no symptoms. If that is true, the load on the healthcare system will be unnoticed in light of this being the flu season.
    Life is complex.

Default Re: Do you think the Coronavirus pandemic could lead to national socialized medicine?

If all it takes is a disaster to get what people want, once that's figured out disasters will be engineered to add leverage.

I think this is exactly what will happen.

After all, after repeated record wildfire seasons causing millions in damage, and repeated February floods causing billions in damage, look at how quickly the nation has adopted science-based policies to deal with the damage climate change is already causing!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    I read the reports of the disease differently than you do.
    dude, you read everything differently than everybody else does. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post

After all, after repeated record wildfire seasons causing millions in damage, and repeated February floods causing billions in damage, look at how quickly the nation has adopted science-based policies to deal with the damage climate change is already causing!

Tom
    coke just shot out my nose

coca~cola!

Quote Originally Posted by sleek View Post
    If all it takes is a disaster to get what people want, once that's figured out disasters will be engineered to add leverage.
    Or a disaster is what it takes to address a problem after denial no longer works.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post

Tom
    It’ll take trillions in damage before business as usual is abandoned, well except for the MIC and “defensive” military action.

The Maine, The Great Depression, Pearl Harbor, Sputnik, World Trade Towers, or 2008 Financial crisis come to mind when our government acts decisively. Wheels turn faster when wealthy, high profile folks lose portions of prestige, wealth is threatened or die leaving the government held as an umbrella insurer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    The Maine, The Great Depression, Pearl Harbor, Sputnik, World Trade Towers, or 2008 Financial crisis come to mind when our government acts decisively. Wheels turn faster when wealthy, high profile folks lose portions of prestige, wealth is threatened or die leaving the government held as an umbrella insurer.
    it won't be nationalized healthcare, so much as trump's fema and the national guard administering quarantines and experimental and untested vaccination protocol

how's that make you feel?

at least trump's brownshirts won't put up with any antivaxxer bull****

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    it won't be nationalized healthcare, so much as trump's fema and the national guard administering quarantines and experimental and untested vaccination protocol

I can see that happening in these uncertain times. Be Best.

Seriously, if the virus was a more virulent one, would the US health system be able to cope or would Pless's #10 be the way they'd go?

Certainly the testing would have to be free and universal, and likely at regular periods for some time.
    Or would it be "Bring out your dead" all over again?
    Last edited by skuthorp; 02-24-2020 at 08:03 PM.

coke just shot out my nose

coca~cola!
    Oh, SURE it was the cola... (good thing, otherwise it might've been a whole lot more expensive)

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

I read the reports of the disease differently than you do. It appears a large number of people have essentially no symptoms. If that is true, the load on the healthcare system will be unnoticed in light of this being the flu season.
    Amazing. Your lack of grasp on this subject is truly stunning.

Boom.

I think he's equating the infection rate like a profit and loss spread sheet, and forgetting/discounting that the virus doesn't care and is not concerned with win or lose, profit and loss.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Amazing. Your lack of grasp on this subject is truly stunning.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Tell me, has donald tried curing scrofula yet?

A lot of people dying, say 2%, would be sad. But I doubt institutions will notice any more than they notice a 2% increase.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    A lot of people dying, say 2%, would be sad. But I doubt institutions will notice any more than they notice a 2% increase.
    Where are you drawing this 2 percent? These numbers are being reported by a secretive authoritarian government. Heck thousands of their own medical professionals treating ones with flu have fallen ill. This is not the regular flu as many have pointed out. Currently 15 percent of the US population without health insurance. we have at least 1/2 million homeless or more. There are another 100 million that can not afford to go to the emergency room due to copays. All those who are working minimum wage service jobs can not afford to take the time off if contagious or under the weather. They all need to make their phone bill payments, netflix subscriptions and pay for a few spicy Chick-fil-a sandwiches as they try to feel better.

We are lining up to get stuffed here. Paul's scary prophecies are not that far out of Trump's realm.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 02-24-2020 at 08:50 PM.

Pick a number. My point is, people will isolate to avoid contact, public health will do the best it can, it will pass. I don’t think the seasonal flu has resulted in major institutional changes in our healthcare system. I doubt this will result in major changes.

^ I like your optimism. Let's hope it works out as a nothing burger.

I believe the most helpful thing for someone really sick with flu and complications is supportive care in an ICU.

It’s interesting to wonder whether national health care would result in more, or less, icu beds.

I met a woman in Canada who suffered a neck injury in a fall. She said she had waited 6 months to see a neurologist and for an MRI. She told me that there were limited MRI machines in the Canadian system. And that when people tried going to veterinary practices for an MRI, they were legally prevented from doing so. Don’t know if any of this is true.

When I got hurt (admittedly pretty badly) I had x-rays, cat-scan, and an MRI within a couple of hours, and spoke to a neurologist the same day. Very expensive but the opportunity to make money incentivized the market of health care providers to made the care available.

Default Re: Do you think a Novel Coronavirus pandemic could lead to national socialized medic

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Imagine if the coronavirus pandemic became a national health crisis... Do you think this wildfire virus outbreak could trigger a direction toward national socialized health care?

To contain the virus - government paid healthcare may be needed to address all those who do not have insurance or the hundred of millions who are under insured. It would be a big step toward treating the illness and its aftereffects. In a way - federal socialized medical care.
    I'm sure Bernie us licking his fingers and salivating over a issue he might be able to profit from..

Bernie and donald are in the age and health group most at risk……………………...

If it get's out in the US then it'll be nasty, and yes it would pass, taking a lot of people with it.

Dont let a good crisis go to waste if you cannot inject some TDS.

I have noticed that I seem to read a lot of stuff that few people here have read. Or perhaps they read it and it does not fit their agenda so they ignore it.

But if concern or panic makes you feel better, partake.
    Life is complex.

If you get sick with the Corona Virus, the insurance companies are now calling it an "Act of God", and you are not covered...

It appears a large number of people have essentially no symptoms.
    I have noticed that I seem to read a lot of stuff that few people here have read.
    Where did you read that a large number of people have essentially no symptoms? I imagine that it would be a large scale screening using Covid-19 diagnostic PCR, but I would be surprised if the study has been performed. If it was a published peer-reviewed study then you should be able to find it readily (I couldn't in querying pubmed.gov, the global reference for medical literature). If it was a popular press article, then I would be interested to hear what stuff you read that few people here read. Even if there were an asymptomatic population, how would that mask the health care burden of the symptomatic population? Please explain. As for your lack of concern, if you do the math on the Covid-19 R0 (Rnaught) compared with seasonal influenza, the death rate of Covid-19 compared with seasonal influenza, the differences in transmission compared to seasonal influenza, not to mention your hidden reservoir of Covid-19 Marys, and plug in the global or USA population, it is cause for concern, and certainly worthy of discussion.

One thing I do know. Soon there will be many people in the US and elsewhere needing testing and hospitalization. If the US government doesn't at least pick up the tab for that, you all are in for interesting times.

Imagine that you are trying to slow down a pandemic and millions of people avoid getting tested, going to hospital, or skipping work because they can't afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    If you get sick with the Corona Virus, the insurance companies are now calling it an "Act of God", and you are not covered...
    Well what do you expect from medical insurance designed to make a profit first, and treat patients second……….or maybe third?

And what George said,(#29)

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    The death rate of the 1918 pandemic was less than 3%. Death rates for Covid-19 are uncertain, but estimates range up to 4%. The death rate of the seasonal flu is about 0.1%; that is, up to 40 fold less than for Covid-19. The Covid-19 transmission rate is at least a fold higher than for seasonal flu. Here in the US there is sufficient infrastructure for testing that a Covid-19 incursion here will certainly be noticed by institutions. It will be an interesting experiment how well the US healthcare system handles Covid-19.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    Dont let a good crisis go to waste if you cannot inject some TDS.

Trump praises the CDC and WHO in a tweet, yet concurrently proposes to cut their budgets by 20 and 50 percent, respectively. He attributes a drop in cancer rates to his administration's efforts, yet proposes profound budget cuts to the NIH.

Based on the above, TDS is sound patriotism.

I think you've forgotten about "Hurting the right people". Some will get treatment and some will get trumped.
    ---------------
    Do you think this wildfire virus outbreak could trigger a direction toward national socialized health care?
    I just added up the annual salaries of executives of the top three HMOs. $1,700,000,000. That's 1.7 Billion. Remember that chant at the debate back in 2012? "LET HIM DIE! LET HIM DIE! LET HIM DIE!"

There is NOTHING that could trigger a direction toward national socialized health care for reds.

twodot is BACK!

I could have sworn that I posted in this thread, but in reality, no. Most people don't put enough thought towards their own safety and care and the insurance companies would rather let us die after we get sick and can't pay our premiums anymore. Ask any cancer patient who had to go back to work during treatment about that.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama