Thread: Hard Boiled Eggs

Default Hard Boiled Eggs

I've finally found a method I love.

I used to start them cold. Sometimes they peeled sorta ok, and sometimes it was like Pless had snuck in and epoxied the shells on. Put me off making them at all.

I've now done two batches where the peels almost fall off with a harsh word.

1. Bring a pot of water to a full boil. Depth = an egg + an inch.

2. Lower the eggs into the water. Set the timer for 13 minutes. Leave at a rolling boil for 30 - 60 seconds before reducing to simmer.

3. With 5 minute or so left on the timer - make an ice bath. Large bowl with plenty of cold water and plenty of ice. I have used two trays worth for 8-12 eggs.

4. When the timer dings, run the eggs under cold water until you won't burn yourself as you transfer them to the ice bath for another 13 minutes.

5. Stick 'em in the refrigerator until you've worked up some harsh words.

I love HB Eggs. I eat them neat with salt & pepper. I slice them to garnish other dishes, like the bowl of chicken soup I had tonight. And deviled eggs are beyond delicious... I see a lot more of them in my future.
    Last edited by David G; 10-21-2020 at 10:45 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: Hard Boiled Eggs

fart
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I confess that I bought some deviled eggs on impulse when I was at the food store last week. I wanted to make my own, but it was an impulse.

I did not think it was possible to make a boring deviled egg. I won't buy them again. I'm buying 18 eggs on my next trip and doing it right.

okay okay

if anybody knows how to do a perfect gooey jammy egg i'd love to know how

six minutes on simmer, and one minute in an ice bath gives the perfect consistency to me and a good warm internal temp, but i've ywt to be able to reliably peel them without turning it into a dog's breakfast
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

^ Try peeling freshly laid eggs. After that, store bought will seem like perfection!

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    ^ Try peeling freshly laid eggs.

Do you boil them first?

Did someone say scotch eggs?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    okay okay

six minutes on simmer, and one minute in an ice bath gives the perfect consistency to me and a good warm internal temp, but i've ywt to be able to reliably peel them without turning it into a dog's breakfast
    Fresh eggs don't peel well.

Use eggs a week to ten days old, and you should be better off.
    Rattling the teacups.

It's really quite simple. Use this, and nothing else matters.

PushPin.jpg

Fredz -- you use that to skeer the shell off?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    Do you boil them first?
    Yes. Otherwise, nothing wrong with a fresh egg fried or poached.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Fredz -- you use that to skeer the shell off?
    No, punch a tiny hole in the (not pointed) end of the egg. This allows the air inside to be released, thus not cracking the shell. In addition, a small amount of water enters between the shell and membrane. Once cooled (even slightly) the shell will come off in two, sometimes one piece, and the egg will have no cuts or gouges from peeling a stuck on shell. Viola!

fart
    You fart hard-boiled eggs?

So you can finally get a real job?
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

okay okay

Push pin works for soft-boiled eggs too. I prefer mine more set up than you do, so I simmer mine for 6:45, run cold water in the pot to exchange the hot, then set it in the egg cup and let it rest for one minute. The egg peels well, but it may be a little wet on the surface, which doesn't bother me.

For about $6.00 more than the cost of a push pin, you can buy a kitchen gadget to do the same thing:

This recipe works well.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/art...rd-cooked-eggs

Bring an inch of water in a medium saucepan. Put a steamer basket in it and bring to a boil. Add 6 eggs, cold from the refrigerator. Cover, and turn the heat down to medium and steam for 13 minutes.

When the eggs are done, plonk the eggs into an ice bath and let them site for 15 minutes.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

For deviled eggs, I use deep water, ~6", and stir constantly. That way the yolks, which float to the top of the egg, end up in the middle.
    I throw the, pierced, eggs into water at about 165 F. That is the temp where the eggs start to harden. Yes, the cold water bath seems to help with peeling. If you look on the end of the egg carton, you will find a number telling you when the eggs were packed. It is a three digit number corresponding to the day of the year, numbering from Jan. 1, thus Feb. 3 would be 034.

One handy trick is to be sure the egg has been refrigerated for about a week. I just set newly purchased eggs that will be hard boiled aside for at least five days. Those peel easily after starting in cold water and kept at a boil for about ten minutes.

My deviling begins with mushing mayo and cream cheese with the yoke. From there it's a splash of vinaigrette and spices at whim and handiness.

I have one of those pot-with-integral-colander things for cooking pasta, which I find very convenient for boiling eggs without burning fingers. The trick is to have the icewater prepped with more ice than you would normally use because you're chilling the mass of the colander as well as that of the eggs.
    The true patriotism, the only rational patriotism, is loyalty to the Nation ALL the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it.