Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you stressed out, about the election?

Default Are you stressed out, about the election?

A new American Psychological Association survey finds 68% of American adults say that the 2020 presidential election is a significant source of stress — up 16 points from 2016.
    I'd describe myself as 'highly concerned'... but not 'stressed out'.

Can't say the same for either my wife or daughters, though.... they're all freaking out.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Default Re: Are you stressed out, about the election?

I'm pretty stressed now that the supreme court is well positioned to do a 2000 replay.

I'm actually excited about the election. I do not think it will be all that close and so the USSC will be irrelevant.
    "We have come to live in a society based on insults, on lies and on things that just aren't true. It creates an environment where deranged people feel empowered." -- Colin Powell, 10/30/18

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    I'm actually excited about the election. I do not think it will be all that close and so the USSC will be irrelevant.
    As they say, 'from your lips, to God's ear'

I'm not predicting, and I have no hunches.... but if it works out as you believe, nobody will be more pleased than me
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

I’m stressed out about your election and I’m on the other side of the Atlantic!

This isn’t just about your infestation of Kardashian types in the White House; it’s also about our Brexiters, about Duterte in the Philippines, about Erdogan in Turkey, about Bolsonaro in Brazil, about Orban in Hungary, and all the others who aspire to play near Nazi.

Please get rid of them!
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I am extremely nervous. I've been feeling confident, but Trump seems to be rallying.

A GOP pollster called be today with just one question: Do you think the press has covered this president accurately? That tells you where he is headed in the last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein
    As they say, 'from your lips, to God's ear'

I'm not predicting, and I have no hunches.... but if it works out as you believe, nobody will be more pleased than me
    I think the problem will lie with the states that are slow to announce a result because of out-standing absentee ballots. The Republicans intend to challenge any ballots counted after midnight, November 3rd. And Trump intends to claim any such count is fraudulent.

But I think in the end Biden will win most of the close contests that are polling in his favor.
    "We have come to live in a society based on insults, on lies and on things that just aren't true. It creates an environment where deranged people feel empowered." -- Colin Powell, 10/30/18

I think the problem will lie with the states that are slow to announce a result because of out-standing absentee ballots. The Republicans intend to challenge any ballots counted after midnight, November 3rd. And Trump intends to claim any such count is fraudulent.
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. If the total of the in-person voting, as well as the mail-in votes that were pre-tabulated, show a big Biden margin on the evening of 11/2, Trump's mantra is going to change.... he's going to INSIST on counting those uncounted mail-in votes.
    Last edited by Norman Bernstein; 10-28-2020 at 07:14 PM.

Yes I am. I'm thinking about it far too much. Reading the tea leaves. Resolving not to read the tea leaves. Re-re-reading the tea leaves.

I'll be glad when it's all resolved. But the really stressful part is imagining Trump winning. Or losing and fighting the result.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. If the total of the in-person voting, as well as the mail-in votes that were pre-tabulated, show a big Biden margin on the evening of 11/2, Trump's mantra is going to change.... he's going to INSIST on counting those uncounted mail-in votes.
    If so Trump loses.

All indications are this year will have a large turnout. Historically that is ALWAYS bad news for Republican candidates. They know it which is why the Republican Party works overtime in an attempt to suppress the voter turnout.

My wife and I have been stressed out for the past four years!
    We're even more stressed out now. I literally lose sleep over this election.
    In other words, our heads are going to explode if Biden does not succeed.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    then we get to the Florida “hanging chad” type individual ballot inspections. And the Supreme Court is in the bag for Trump.

I do not think the USSC will be a factor. I think Biden will win a clear victory.

I do not think the USSC will be a factor. I think Biden will win a clear victory.
    shall i begin shopping for a california red?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

i relax by cleaning my guns

Just remember - stressed spelled backwards is desserts. Enjoy!
    I now have 16 trolls on ignore.

Stick with Lee's plan, it's a Zen thang. My shooters, must be close to thirty of every variety need some loving. Oil or wax, depending.
    At Wally World Tuesday, in sports section and it was holy $hit! Gun racks about neckid and ammo shelves about the same.
    I thought it was bad from 2008 to 20016. Squirrels were safe as the nuts were hoarding .22's. So I guess once Fall chores are done I'm cleaning guns. It is a calming exorcize, and assurance that the metal is clean and pristine.
    If Mona hadn't come up with Multiple Myeloma a year ago today, and if the Pox had not expressed it's self, oiling and waxing would still be on the to do list.
    Tom

In King County WA, it’s believed that by election day 90% of eligible voters will have voted. Unheard of.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Z View Post
    I've already broken into the Halloween candycorn...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Key lime pie coming up, our citrus have produced abundantly this year, fruit is hanging on trees all over the garden, and the stone fruit and cherries are already fatter than usual.

Um, on the subject…….. given our conservative governments tendency to a55lick, it's been interesting to note their copying of trumpian rhetoric and corruption. Biden migh be a bit hard for them to handle.

Yep!

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    i relax by cleaning my guns

Relaxing in the grape arbor with his chickens, cleaning his guns.

I was much more nervous last week for some reason. I think I'm relaxing a little more now after voting yesterday, and also because I think turnout is going to be very high this time. Holding to my popular vote prediction:

Biden 70,000,000 votes

Trump 61,800,000 votes

Jeff C

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I've been concerned that Biden will drop dead before Election Day.
    What happens if he is elected but shuffles off this mortal coil before inauguration?
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Judging from this forum and from democratic friends, I would say, in general, the stress level is do high about this election that I am worried about folks' mental health. Dead serious. Many if you guys need to just walk away from it for a few days. Life will continue after Wednesday. In all likelihood, your guy will win decisively. Take a breather.

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    Judging from this forum and from democratic friends, I would say, in general, the stress level is do high about this election that I am worried about folks' mental health. Dead serious. Many if you guys need to just walk away from it for a few days. Life will continue after Wednesday. In all likelihood, your guy will win decisively. Take a breather.
    Problem is... I've studied history. So I know the pattern. I know the profound potential for harm we are facing.

And I have kids and grandkids - to whom I most sincerely do not wish to bequeath the battles that would be required to, maybe, get our country back from the oligarchs.

'Relax, don't worry'... don't cut it.

“When Fascism came into power, most people were unprepared, both theoretically and practically. They were unable to believe that man could exhibit such propensities for evil, such lust for power, such disregard for the rights of the weak, or such yearning for submission. Only a few had been aware of the rumbling of the volcano preceding the outbreak.”

– Erich Fromm, Escape from Freedom

“Let fascism find not even a single passage to power or else that poisonous snake will infiltrate into every vital corner of the country and kill the future of the nation!”

Mehmet Murat ildan

“The first truth is that the liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic state itself. That, in its essence, is fascism — ownership of government by an individual, by a group, or by any other controlling private power…. Among us today a concentration of private power without equal in history is growing.”

– Franklin D. Roosevelt
    Last edited by David G; 10-28-2020 at 11:34 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Less stressed the closer it comes.

Trump keeps shooting himself in the foot, and he ran out of feet a while ago.

I just hope his mad mob of troopers doesn't try to start a shootout.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

We'll be breaking out the popcorn, a nice bottle of Pinot Gris, and sitting back to enjoy the show. If it all starts going sideways, there's some hard liquor in the cupboard, and we can chuck any unpopped corn at the tv.

Pete
    Like a miracle, all the trolls disappeared

I'll be glad when it stops occupying our TV.. and I'm a minimum of 3500 miles away..
    Just an amateur bodging away..

Trump will be slaughtered in this election. There just aren't enough stupid Americans to elect him twice. He'll say he doesn't care, he just did it all for fun anyway, politics are not his thing ...

Hoping the GOP go down everywhere. The planet needs the US to have good leadership that isn't strangled by political maneuvering.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

I check out 538 about 10 times per day. I agree with ACB but also with peb. How can that be?

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

What I’m really stressed about is how many Americans support Trumpism.

Consistently, about 43% of Americans approve of his policies and persona.

I’m stressed that we’re so desperate, angry, selfish, crass.

I thought we were better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    What I’m really stressed about is how many Americans support Trumpism.

Consistently, about 43% of Americans approve of his policies and persona.

I thought we were better than that.
    ^ This - precisely.

I'm also worried about what I see as the exact same over-confidence I saw in 2016. And then there's winning the senate. And then there's wondering what damage Trump, McConnell et al will do even (or maybe especially) if they lose.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    you left off stupid
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.