Thread: Wakanda forever.

Default Wakanda forever.

King Westerbrook on Twitter:
    MY BABY BOY AND THE AVENGERS HOLDING A MEMORIAL FOR BLACK PANTHER

#Wakanda4Ever

If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Default Re: Wakanda forever.

Remind me again why Black Panther is the highest grossing film in the Marvel Comics series. What it is about the character of Black Panther that so resonated, not only with African American audiences, but audiences of all ethnicities all over the world?

Remind me again what it is that makes Chadwick Boseman's death - and more than that, the dignity of how he did his dying - so remarkably emotional for so many people.

And remember that this is what is motivating the Black Lives Matter movement too, eh? That dignity, that honour. That vision of how to be human.
    Last edited by TomF; 08-31-2020 at 02:07 PM.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

He was very young for bowel cancer, wasn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    He was very young for bowel cancer, wasn't he?
    I would not wish it on anyone.

I Don't Like Comic Book Films.

But I like your picture.

I had little exposure to comics as a kid, have no idea who these "Avengers" are, and haven't seen any of the films (which I gather to be several?). What is the significance of this Black Panther, Tom?

What are you doing about it?

Black Panther is a specifically African superhero, hailing from a secret country hidden by their astonishingly advanced technology from the eyes of anyone who isn't within the circle.

What it really is, is a vision of black dignity and competence, of black commitment to justice rather than the opposite. A fantasy which provides hope and a sense of positive identity.

Boseman, the young man who just died of colon cancer, was the hero of a 2018 film adaptation- which was wildly successful both financially a d in terms of providing a place for positive and proud expressions of an advanced rather than primitive African culture. And Bozeman himself actually seems to have lived out much of the admirable content of his fictional characters in terms of how he lived his actual life. As well as being a stupendous talent.

What folks are mourning is a person who in actual life gave as much hope and inspiration to people of color as the characters he infused with what seems to have been aspects of his own character.

Thanks - that helps me make sense of the tributes I've been seeing. I don't think I'd ever heard his name until he died.

I did not see the movie, probably a generational thing. I was barely aware of him. I am sad because he apparently touched people with his art. What more could anyone ask? I wonder if there is real value in an artificial hero or is that superhero, rather than a regular hero, a normal man or woman that is extraordinary?
    Very sad to lose a person with such potential to light the way for others.

Summa you ol' pharts REALLY need to get out more... <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Orca's not an old phart; he's younger than most of us.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Orca's not an old phart; he's younger than most of us.
    It ain't the calendar, it's the attitude.

My mom used to say of my grumpy older brother... "He was just born old and grumpy, been that way since day one". <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

From one reviewer ---

Black Panther sets its ambitions high. This was a film not content at just being another introductory filler for the Marvel Cinematic Universe such as Ant-Man or Doctor Strange. This was not a film content at showcasing stereotypes of black characters as either criminals, gangsters, war generals, slaves or reprising controversial moments etched in history such as Uncle Remus from Songs of the South or the racist crows from Dumbo. This was not a film content at showing black characters as mere sidekicks or comic relief solutions. No. This was an empowerment on all levels – culturally, spiritually, mentally and historically. This was a reckoning, designed and blessed with knowledge and education that had a bravery in its execution.

This has been a long time coming. In the past few years we have seen a resurgence in black cinema. 12 Years a Slave, Straight Outta Compton, Mudbound, Hidden Figures, Selma, Get Out, Girls Trip and Moonlight have laid the foundation and paved the way. Black Panther becomes the tip of that iceberg and as Roy Wood, Jr. from The Daily Show would say, “we have reached peak blackness!”

Gone are the outdated connotations about Africa being poor, living in huts, descending to uncivilised acts of savagery as old colonial masters would say or “****hole countries” as reasoned by an ill-informed President. No. No. No. We are kings. We are warriors. We are royalty. We are inventors. We are leaders. We are educators and mentors. As much as Wakanda is a fictional nation, it is a rich, technologically advanced and a thriving metropolis that is leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of the world. There is so much inspirational pride from this film and it is glorious. I haven’t felt so in love with a fictional country since Zamunda in Coming to America!

You can probably tell that I am enamoured by Black Panther and I have every right to be. From the distinct number of tribes and traditions, the beautiful emphasis of culture through hair, clothing, language (Igbo, Xhosa) and its majestic music, as a Nigerian the authenticity struck a deep chord which many Africans can relate to. When you take away the negative reminders that we constantly see in mainstream media, there is a natural beauty from the continent that is rarely emphasised. Black Panther takes that opportunity and fills that vacuum with a vision of afro-futurism and a self-assured confidence. That praise belongs to director Ryan Coogler (Creed, Fruitvale Station). By performing an extensive amount of research on African cultures and heritage during pre-production, he ensures Black Panther was naturally distinct from the rest of the Marvel universe with its formulaic, storytelling conventions. The research clearly shows and it’s in every single frame of the film.

Even when you take away the “black perspective” from the film, the narrative is still strong. Black Panther largely operates as a Shakespearian tale, infusing one-part Game of Thrones, one-part James Bond and the other part The Lion King. What you get in return is an extensive and immersive world building, part inspired by Blade Runner with Africa running through its core roots. Whatever your ultimate thoughts and feelings from the film, there is no denying that Wakanda (as depicted on the big screen) has more depth than Asgard from Thor or any of the galactic planets that featured in Guardians of the Galaxy.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Think of this: Bozeman played Thurgood Marshall brilliant Supreme Court Justice AND THEN turned around and played James "Godfather Of Soul" Brown! Howdy Do That?
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Summa you ol' pharts REALLY need to get out more... <G>
    Meh. Films about comic book superheroes hold pretty much zero interest for me, so they're not likely to make the short list of one or two films a year I make a point of getting out to see. The trailers are difficult enough to sit through - I can't imagine enjoying a hundred minutes of CGI and frantically-cut action scenes.

it was an amazing film....
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

While I haven't seen it, some folks online say that Boseman's best role wasn't so much the Black Panther, but instead Jackie Robinson in the 2013 biography of the iconic ball player "42."

Again, what is more impressive about Boseman isn't so much the roles he played - which one may argue back and forth are idealized versions of what a Black man (or more accurately, a man who happens to be Black) could and should be. What's impressive is that Boseman put out most of his impressive and essentially life-giving body of work while actually undergoing treatment for a fatal cancer.

And during that period of dying, he lived vibrantly, conscious of the impact that he - a successful Black man - was able to have to raise up the confidence and dignity of people who identified with him. And he did that while dying, keeping the fact of his terminal cancer a closely held secret precisely so that it and his attempts to overcome the cancer didn't become the narrative. Because presumably Boseman wanted to keep his private life private, and also had learned the first and most important lesson we all need to learn: it wasn't about him. Was never about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Think of this: Bozeman played Thurgood Marshall brilliant Supreme Court Justice AND THEN turned around and played James "Godfather Of Soul" Brown! Howdy Do That?
    Now these are people who interest me. I may have to look up the films and see if I can get them on Blu-Ray.

Jackie Robinson - am I right in thinking he was the first Black major-league baseball player?

yup.

i thought he did a good acting job in the movie, but i didn't love the movie itself. not really a super hero movie lover in general, but that one was not in my top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    yup.
    That might be interesting too. I find baseball about as compelling as drying paint, but I imagine Robinson has an interesting story.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    Meh. Films about comic book superheroes hold pretty much zero interest for me, so they're not likely to make the short list of one or two films a year I make a point of getting out to see. The trailers are difficult enough to sit through - I can't imagine enjoying a hundred minutes of CGI and frantically-cut action scenes.
    We all makes our choices and lives with the gains or losses.

Remember what I said about my brother...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

We all makes our choices and lives with the gains or losses.

Remember what I said about my brother...
    I'm not so much old and grumpy, just into different things and largely unaccustomed to modern cinema. I find that I struggle with visual entertainments like film and television, partially because I'm hard of hearing but more because conventions have changed a lot over the past few decades and my brain hasn't kept pace. There is a whole new visual style or language - I don't know the appropriate term - that incorporates many fragmented, fast-moving elements and rapid cuts between points-of-view, and I find it kind of overwhelming and hard to follow. Perhaps people who habitually partake of this kind of entertainment don't struggle with it like I do.

I'm not so much old and grumpy, just into different things and largely unaccustomed to modern cinema. I find that I struggle with visual entertainments like film and television, partially because I'm hard of hearing but more because conventions have changed a lot over the past few decades and my brain hasn't kept pace. There is a whole new visual style or language - I don't know the appropriate term - that incorporates many fragmented, fast-moving elements and rapid cuts between points-of-view, and I find it kind of overwhelming and hard to follow. Perhaps people who habitually partake of this kind of entertainment don't struggle with it like I do.
    Gotcha!

You really should meet my brother... <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Remind me again why Black Panther is the highest grossing film in the Marvel Comics series. What it is about the character of Black Panther that so resonated, not only with African American audiences, but audiences of all ethnicities all over the world?
    Well, the movie does add significantly to the number of successful Sub-Saharan African countries. People like that. Pity it is pure fiction.
    Last edited by devout; 09-01-2020 at 01:38 PM.

A dollop of reality from Africa for the bright-eyed optimists in the developed world. It will only take you a few minutes to read, and provide some context to my assertion in post #25.

https://www.politicsweb.co.za/opinion/african-despair

Yes, the tale of Africa is a sad one. Full of good intentions, bad behavior, ignorance, corruption, and a kak-handed transition.

Because the people crafting the transition and promoting the development failed to read Rostow, and the various refinements. And because they failed to appropriately shield the nascent nations/economies from a new form of exploitation... that the multi-nationals know so well how to enact.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

There is a whole new visual style or language - I don't know the appropriate term - that incorporates many fragmented, fast-moving elements and rapid cuts between points-of-view, and I find it kind of overwhelming and hard to follow. Perhaps people who habitually partake of this kind of entertainment don't struggle with it like I do.
    I agree, F.O., and I am a movie fan. Lovingly languid visuals are much nice than snappy edit-console cutting, IMHO. I have not seen the Thurgood Marshall film, but '42' is worth your while to seek out.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Yes, the tale of Africa is a sad one. Full of good intentions, bad behavior, ignorance, corruption, and a kak-handed transition.

Because the people crafting the transition and promoting the development failed to read Rostow, and the various refinements. And because they failed to appropriately shield the nascent nations/economies from a new form of exploitation... that the multi-nationals know so well how to enact.
    The South Koreans read Rostow. Look at the difference. But let's be honest, the material (culture, before you accuse me of being racist), is vastly different. In Africa, it is always someone else's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by devout View Post
    The South Koreans read Rostow. Look at the difference. But let's be honest, the material (culture, before you accuse me of being racist), is vastly different. In Africa, it is always someone else's fault.
    Whatever level of truth contained in your comment... a good craftsman starts with an honest assessment of the materials one has to work with...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Remind me again why Black Panther is the highest grossing film in the Marvel Comics series.
    may i suggest, marketing
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.