Page 1362 of 1374 FirstFirst ... 3628621262131213521361136213631372 ... LastLast
Results 47,636 to 47,670 of 48070

Thread: Byob !!!!!!

Cool Re: Byob !!!!!!

No horse for me, I'm a city slicker.
    Don't want no Winnebago either.
    I've had my share of drivin on the path.
    I want a wooden boat so I can blaze my own trails.

The Lake ain't froze yet.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Default Re: Byob !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Domesticated_Mr. Know It All View Post
    No horse for me, I'm a city slicker.
    Don't want no Winnebago either.
    I've had my share of drivin on the path.
    I want a wooden boat so I can blaze my own trails.

The Lake ain't froze yet.

Boats I got. Three that need to go, and, like, NOW! Green skiff is being revamped for this year. I will most likely row more than anything in the future. Unless I move.

Which I could be forced to do a thing anytime. More than horses to work, I suppose I’d like a home of my own. I suppose if I worked harder and made better choices...

Peace,
    Robert

It hasn't been above freezing in like 3 or 4 days and no dice today either.
    Bright Sunshine and Blue Sky but 21F.
    I'm fine as long as I'm just looking out the window with the furnace running full blast.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

When I built my barn/shop, I bought the lumber from a father and son run sawmill. They said some of their logs came from a fellow that logged with a team of draft horses. I saw several people plowing with mules around my place in Georgia when I moved there. Most of that land is covered with subdivisions or McMansions now. I owned a horse to ride for probably over 1/2 of my life.

Rhiannon Giddens & Allison Russell - The Wind That Shakes the Barley

When I was just a pup, there was an old man in our neighborhood that had a span of mules, a plow, a sickle mower and hay rake. I took to following him around as he looked for work. That was before they locked everybody up that befriended children. He taught me how to harness those mules and as I got a bit older he let me plow, mow and rake hay. I was not big enough to put the harness on them so he would help me. Now if he was here he would have to help me again. Things change as they stay the same I guess.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

I would give Five bucks for one of these and and a beer right now. Where is Kevin?
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

This here one is for me and my buddy Glen.

I wish that was my dog,

Bring yer own Baloney.

Bring yer own Baloney.

Hey Kevin, the baloney is no problem, I am told I am full of it.

Coffee is brewing...I can smell it!

Morning guys, another day in paraflockingdise here still raining and that means a couple of more days of this fun stuff for me. Oh well as Lefty sez, that which don't kill ya, don't kill ya. A shot of something in this coffee would be nice.

Morning All,

Another fun filled day ahead. A bad switch on my portable chopsaw aborted my delivery y'day. No replacement parts to be had in town. But I think I've found an old one I kept around. I'll plug it in today and see if it's good.

Had an interesting afternoon y'day. Parachuted into some drama. Kevin, you'll be familiar with the story, methinks.

Headed for home for a bit while some glue dried, I stopped by the neighborhood library. Leaving, I drove by the backside of the library - a quiet residential street - and and past a skinny kid in a wheelchair nosed into some bamboo. By the time I got to the corner, it sunk in that something wasn't right. Backed up, rolled down the window, and asked if he was ok. SHE lifted her head and asked if I could drive her to the next town. I said yes, got out, and helped her into the truck. Too tall for her to manage. She was weak, and had tremors (like my b-i-l who has Parkinson's). On the ride North, she just said she's gotten stranded, and needed to connect up with her friends in Vancouver. Got there and it turned out the three women were basically homeless, had scraped together enough money for a cheap motel room the previous night, and were scrambling to figure out where they would stay that evening.

I had to get back to Portland to pick up my sweetie at 5 pm, so the tale is unfinished. Two of them went off on the bus to fetch another friend. My new friend Jen had me drop her at the mall while they continued to try and figure out a place to sleep (it's warm, there are bathrooms she can use, and she might try some panhandling). Her friends would come for her there. I left with with the couple of bucks I had in my pocket, and a hug.

But it reminded me how bloody hard it is to be broke. With no resources... EVERYTHING becomes complicated. It's frustrating, disheartening, and exhausting. This was a woman with no family. Had been a college athlete on a volleyball scholarship. Had an asthma attack and didn't have her inhaler close enough. Ended up in a coma for three days, and awoke to a whole new existence: unable to walk, weak, with severe tremors. And on her own with few resources to draw on. She draws SS disability... but it's not at all enough to get by on. I know this to be true, because my b-i-l is in the same boat, and he only gets by because we and some other relatives help him financially. With no universal health care, and a limited safety net, the U.S. really is barbaric in some ways - when compared to some of the other developed countries.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Sad story Mr.G, seems some ones always got it worse than us no matter how bad our situation looks to us.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Morning All,

Another fun filled day ahead. A bad switch on my portable chopsaw aborted my delivery y'day. No replacement parts to be had in town. But I think I've found an old one I kept around. I'll plug it in today and see if it's good.

Had an interesting afternoon y'day. Parachuted into some drama. Kevin, you'll be familiar with the story, methinks.

Headed for home for a bit while some glue dried, I stopped by the neighborhood library. Leaving, I drove by the backside of the library - a quiet residential street - and and past a skinny kid in a wheelchair nosed into some bamboo. By the time I got to the corner, it sunk in that something wasn't right. Backed up, rolled down the window, and asked if he was ok. SHE lifted her head and asked if I could drive her to the next town. I said yes, got out, and helped her into the truck. Too tall for her to manage. She was weak, and had tremors (like my b-i-l who has Parkinson's). On the ride North, she just said she's gotten stranded, and needed to connect up with her friends in Vancouver. Got there and it turned out the three women were basically homeless, had scraped together enough money for a cheap motel room the previous night, and were scrambling to figure out where they would stay that evening.

I had to get back to Portland to pick up my sweetie at 5 pm, so the tale is unfinished. Two of them went off on the bus to fetch another friend. My new friend Jen had me drop her at the mall while they continued to try and figure out a place to sleep (it's warm, there are bathrooms she can use, and she might try some panhandling). Her friends would come for her there. I left with with the couple of bucks I had in my pocket, and a hug.

But it reminded me how bloody hard it is to be broke. With no resources... EVERYTHING becomes complicated. It's frustrating, disheartening, and exhausting. This was a woman with no family. Had been a college athlete on a volleyball scholarship. Had an asthma attack and didn't have her inhaler close enough. Ended up in a coma for three days, and awoke to a whole new existence: unable to walk, weak, with severe tremors. And on her own with few resources to draw on. She draws SS disability... but it's not at all enough to get by on. I know this to be true, because my b-i-l is in the same boat, and he only gets by because we and some other relatives help him financially. With no universal health care, and a limited safety net, the U.S. really is barbaric in some ways - when compared to some of the other developed countries.
    Sounds familiar... Jen’s lucky she doesn’t have a spouse and kids to worry about, too.

Thanks for doing something for her. Sometimes I wish I could hug you, G.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Sounds familiar... Jen’s lucky she doesn’t have a spouse and kids to worry about, too.

Thanks for doing something for her. Sometimes I wish I could hug you, G.

Peace,
    Robert
    Didn't you spell 'slug' incorrectly? <G>

Seriously, all we can do is what we can do. We just need to remember to do it instead of being self-absorbed ALL of the time. A lesson I continue to try and learn.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Didn't you spell 'slug' incorrectly? <G>

Seriously, all we can do is what we can do. We just need to remember to do it instead of being self-absorbed ALL of the time. A lesson I continue to try and learn.
    Oh, no, I don’t punch people, anymore. My hands are lumpy enough. I’m straight joint manipulation and strangulation, nowadays. Really. Small joint stuff is chicken, but highly effective, and large joint manipulation? Well. Hehehe.

I try to never toot my own horn, and I make sure I never pee backward. I don’t forget where I was, and what it’s like to be despondent and alone. I have nothing materially to offer, really, but what’s mine is everyone’s.

None of this belongs to me, anyway. What a stupid notion.

Peace,
    Robert

What the hell? I go away an hour and the saloon turns into a homeless shelter. Well, good on you danged Humanitarians. TEQUILA on the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Longino View Post
    What the hell? I go away an hour and the saloon turns into a homeless shelter. Well, good on you danged Humanitarians. TEQUILA on the house.
    I have an excuse. I’m a well known idiot and fickle faux artist type.

Also, I’m drunk as hell and I ate 14 brownies.

Peace,
    One Sock, No Pants

Morning All,

Another fun filled day ahead.

I stopped by the neighborhood library. Leaving, I drove by the backside of the library - a quiet residential street - and and past a skinny kid in a wheelchair nosed into some bamboo. By the time I got to the corner, it sunk in that something wasn't right. Backed up, rolled down the window, and asked if he was ok. SHE lifted her head and asked if I could drive her to the next town. I said yes.

You heard the call.
    You were the answer to someones prayers.
    You were fearless in what could have been a dangerous situation.
    What you do for the least of them, you do for me.
    How'd that feel Dave?

Red face Re: Byob !!!!!!

......and Rob, no more brownies until you at least put one more sock on.
    You're in violation of the health code.

......and Rob, no more brownies until you at least put one more sock on.
    You're in violation of the health code.
    Where’s the other sock go?

Peace,
    Barefooted and Pantless

Peace,
    Barefooted and Pantless
    Does it look like this?

3rd sock.jpg

Jimmy is that for the handle of your Iron skillet???

Not what I was told.

Peace,
    Barefooted and Pantless

No Shirt, no socks, no service.
    Pants as always are optional.

You heard the call.
    You were the answer to someones prayers.
    You were fearless in what could have been a dangerous situation.
    What you do for the least of them, you do for me.
    How'd that feel Dave?
    Well... I have, over the years, gotten quite used to being the answer to various women's prayers... <G>

OK, seriously -- it felt good, of course. Gratifying in a way. I was happy to be able to help, and pleased that I had enough time to hang with her while they juggled and jockeyed enough to at least get some skeleton of a plan in place.

But -- it also felt bad. I wish that had been able to help them more. Frustrated, oh so frustrated, that our society leaves so many flailing on the fringe. Sad that Jen's buddy - who was quite attractive, and all dolled up - felt compelled to thank me with 'favors'... and that she was so clearly relieved when I explained that I was grateful for the offer, but didn't feel it was necessary.

And gratified again, when she 'got' at that point that I was just there to help as I could, and not there to gain some sort of advantage. The dynamic changed sharply then, and we became co-conspirators.

Life is an adventure. If you let it be. And yes, I knew I was opening myself up to potential unknown dangers. Life on the fringe is chaotic, and sometimes harsh, even brutal. That I know. But people are people, even the most desperate. Usually, there's a 'tipping point' where it can veer into humanity... or go another way. I was prepared for either, and broadcasting my intentions for the former. It worked out.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    Does it look like this?

3rd sock.jpg
    I don’t believe I’ve ever felt more kinship with another being more than I do right now.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby of Tulsa View Post
    Jimmy is that for the handle of your Iron skillet???
    That woulda been my guess as well. Clearly meant to hold something red-hot and rock-hard. So... cast iron skillet... no?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I knew an Oregone guy would think that way. All that Clean livin clean mind thing, kinda like me.

Dave, you're a gosh darn Humanitarian.
    Somebody should buy you a beer.

OK....I guess it's up to me.
    A round for the house!

Hey Kevin, I think I am on the mend at last, Never seen that beer before so I need to look for some. DavidG is a pretty good guy I must say.

Thanks, all. It was an interesting experience, for sure.

I'll take that beer, as I am just now done with sawdust, tool repair, and running around for the day. Unless my sweetie has something more ambitious in mind, I think I'll just heat up a bowl of soup... and relax.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks