Thread: Trump: cheap grace

Default Trump: cheap grace

Dietrich Bonhoeffer, the great German pastor, theologian, martyr, spy was asked in 1943 how it was possible for the Church to sit back and let Hitler seize absolute power. His firm answer: "It was the teaching of cheap grace."

"Cheap grace is the preaching of forgiveness without requiring repentance, baptism without church discipline, communion without confession, absolution without personal confession. Cheap grace is grace without discipleship, grace without the cross, grace without Jesus Christ." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

We live in a time and culture that not only teaches cheap grace but praises it.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: Trump: cheap grace

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer, the great German pastor, theologian, martyr, spy was asked in 1943 how it was possible for the Church to sit back and let Hitler seize absolute power. His firm answer: "It was the teaching of cheap grace."

"Cheap grace is the preaching of forgiveness without requiring repentance, baptism without church discipline, communion without confession, absolution without personal confession. Cheap grace is grace without discipleship, grace without the cross, grace without Jesus Christ." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

We live in a time and culture that not only teaches cheap grace but praises it.
    Damn that Martin Luther for providing an alternative to Catholicism with its confessional.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

How Germanic!

Seems to me that the practice of patriarchal, authoritarian religion had more to do with conditioning that sort of blind adherence than any lack of religious rigor.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! Cole Porter

Hung by Hitler in the final days of WWII.
    Trump would do the same if given the chance.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

From what I've read, the silence from the Vatican was more a matter of survival than grace. It was a political decision.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    From what I've read, the silence from the Vatican was more a matter of survival than grace. It was a political decision.

.......not exactly how Jesus responded to the politics of the situation he found himself in with the Rabbinical set, Herod and the Roman governor of the province of Judea.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Or so the story goes.

What do we really know.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com