Thread: My Boys Best Mate

Default My Boys Best Mate

Has had a bad fall while doing a TAFE tree loping coarse. 50 meters! In an induced coma, broken hip, further details sketchy at this stage............
    This should not happen in a training coarse! I used to teach TAFE. For those who don't know, TAFE is Australia's post secondary technical education where apprentices learn the theory and application is on the job.
    This young man's father is in the industry and known the ropes. I left TAFE teaching because the conservative Govt was deliberately under funding the sector to facilitate their ideological preference for private education. Now I fear this is a consequence of this wider picture!.......... I'm light on details but I'm praying for a positive outcome.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Default Re: My Boys Best Mate

Oh bloody hell. Prayers up for him.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Damn. 50 meters!

Keeping my fingers crossed for him, that's a big fall.
    I had a few rock climbing but nothing that far, and hung up my tree spikes at 70.

Truly sorry to hear this. Hope he has as full a recovery as possible.

This is very tough. I’m hoping for the best.

A 50 meter fall? That's 15 stories? It's a wonder he isn't dead. As bad as it sounds, he seems lucky.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

holy ****ing ****
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default My Boys Best Mate

Dammit! Wishing them the best and wishing you whatever it is you need to support them in the wake of this tragedy.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Just all the best I can muster to you all.

Peace especially to the boys family and your son.

I was a climber years ago. I had a few slides when the spikes tore out of loose bark but the slides were not more injurious than lost hide. I watched a professional spar climbing competition where one of the competitors ran out of gas at 90 feet and slid all the way down. She was on the chips and sawdust around the spar for a few minutes but eventually got up and walked away. Prayers and wishes that your son's friend does that, too.

Sounds like he is in good hands.

Correction, it was 15 not 50 meters. No updates as yet. Thanks for the kind support.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

15 meters is still too far. Hope he makes a full recovery!

15 m, 50 ft, its a lot to say the least.
    I hate reading this, it's hard to believe in this day and age.
    Hopefully he bounced enough branches on the way to slow down, I really hope he recovers fully, all the best to you.

15 certainly seems better than 50, though its no small fall, either.

Continued best wishes from here to you all.

He's made it through the night and is stable. Internal injuries are a cause of the most concern. Details are sketchy but at some stage he was responsive enough to squeeze the hand of the nurse and move his feet, maybe before he was put in the induced coma but this indicates not too much brain damage. The induced coma is to deal with swelling on the brain. It's now confirmed the accident happened during TAFE instruction at the TAFE campus so there will be questions that need to be answered and people held accountable. All the boys are tradies and work in jobs where danger is a regular feature and they are very upset at what has happened.

Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Has had a bad fall while doing a TAFE tree loping coarse. 50 meters! In an induced coma, broken hip, further details sketchy at this stage............
    This should not happen in a training coarse! I used to teach TAFE. For those who don't know, TAFE is Australia's post secondary technical education where apprentices learn the theory and application is on the job.
    This young man's father is in the industry and known the ropes. I left TAFE teaching because the conservative Govt was deliberately under funding the sector to facilitate their ideological preference for private education. Now I fear this is a consequence of this wider picture!.......... I'm light on details but I'm praying for a positive outcome.
    I certainly hope he recovers. It only takes a moment.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Message from his father, he is having a big op on his hips today. Hopefully he will get through that without complications then he can work on the recovery.

Bruce Cockburn

I'll be thinking of him, I took quite a few risks climbing myself and had a couple of falls but walked away.

Message from his father, he is having a big op on his hips today. Hopefully he will get through that without complications then he can work on the recovery.
    That's good news. He must be strong and stable for them to be even considering such a procedure. If he was hanging on by his fingernails they'd be concentrating only on keeping him alive. A feller here was crushed under a massive rockfall in a local coal mine about thirty years ago. He was on life support and on the point of death for months before they decided he might actually pull through. His arms and legs were broken, his ribs crushed, back injuries and his pelvis smashed. By the time he showed signs of pulling through his broken bones were well on the way to knitting back together- without any of them being correctly set. He's still around but to see him dragging himself along on two sticks is hard to watch. JayInOz

Prayers and well wishes for your sons friend.

Years and years ago I got to hang out with Sebastian Junger who wrote “The Perfect Storm” at s bar he opened in NYC called The Half King. He told me the story for “The Perfect Storm” was supposed to be a series of essays on some of the most dangerous jobs. Deep sea fish was just one, but he said tree trimming was by far the most dangerous occupation.

50 meters is a powerful fall.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Thanks Joe and everyone.
    ( After my initial misunderstanding i corrected the fall distance to 15 meters not 50. Still a very serious and nasty fall. )

Bruce Cockburn

Hope for recovery.

Joining in on his full recovery. Look forward to good news ahead.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

After 150 metres its a wonder he is still alive. Hoping for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by bob winter View Post
    After 150 metres its a wonder he is still alive. Hoping for the best.
    Bob, the fall was 15 meters from a tree while doing his safety assessment for a trade certificate. Obviously something went horribly wrong.

Yesterdays operation had to be postponed due to triage priorities as the hospital is under stress from covid admissions as well as dealing with major health emergencies as it is the main trauma hospital for the city.
    The good news is he is now out of the ICU and on a positive trajectory.

Bruce Cockburn

Bob, the fall was 15 meters from a tree while doing his safety assessment for a trade certificate. Obviously something went horribly wrong.

Yesterdays operation had to be postponed due to triage priorities as the hospital is under stress from covid admissions as well as dealing with major health emergencies as it is the main trauma hospital for the city.
    The good news is he is now out of the ICU and on a positive trajectory.

Good news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

15 metres is still quite a fall, must be near 50 feet. Glad he is on the road to recovery.

He had the operation yesterday and came out of it with a good medical report that the damage wasn’t as bad as feared. Post op he gave his family a phone call and is on the road to recovery soon to begin rehab, physio etc. Thanks all for the messages of support. All his mates, the girlfriend and his dad met at the car park of the local surf break and had a beer and chips session in celebration until after the sun went down.

Bruce Cockburn

Chips? They should have had fries!

So well pleased to hear the prognosis is good! Continued love and peace from here.

Oh thank God. So happy to hear things are better than they first seemed.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Now there's a relief! Be nice when he can join his Dad and Lady for that beer & chips