Thread: Ford: All-Electric F-150

Default Ford: All-Electric F-150

Ford is putting $700m to retool [part of] its Rouge River complex for manufacturing an all-electric F-150.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...aw/5819541002/
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Default Re: Ford: All-Electric F-150

Sounds good. I think there would be even greater demand for electric vans by businesses, hopefully they'll offer them too.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

I'm with you Bob, do they have an electric Transit? That certainly seems like a more natural starting place.
    The true patriotism, the only rational patriotism, is loyalty to the Nation ALL the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it.

Anticipating the inevitable increase in Fed gas taxes.

Just kidding, it’ll go on the national credit card.
    Last edited by LeeG; 09-18-2020 at 01:52 PM.

It's the icon value they're looking for. Their premier vehicle acting as an advertisement for where they want everyone to know they're pointing their company. Yeah, it'll sell, and will be like jewelry for contractors positioning themselves in a particular place in the market. Advertising the contractor's values, and also what Ford wants you to think about theirs.

There's more empirical use value in starting with an electric Transit, I'm sure, but it makes a much crappier billboard.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Kind of skeptical, how do the batteries like being outside for periods in sub-freezing weather?, how long will they go when towing a 2-3K lb. load, if they get low how long does re-charging take? if you run out of charge in the middle of nowhere what do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    It's the icon value they're looking for. Their premier vehicle acting as an advertisement for where they want everyone to know they're pointing their company. Yeah, it'll sell, and will be like jewelry for contractors positioning themselves in a particular place in the market. Advertising the contractor's values, and also what Ford wants you to think about theirs.

There's more empirical use value in starting with an electric Transit, I'm sure, but it makes a much crappier billboard.
    Put wings on it!

Quote Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
    Kind of skeptical, how do the batteries like being outside for periods in sub-freezing weather?, how long will they go when towing a 2-3K lb. load, if they get low how long does re-charging take? if you run out of charge in the middle of nowhere what do you do?
    Who cares, how many crew cab F150 are towing a 3000 lb load? My take this is all last gasp frippery in a stagnant suburban market.

Quote Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
    Newer batteries work OK when cold and self warm quick as they discharge, and have good power density for performance, the key is keeping the electric motors cool under high use. The other things you mentioned are still hurdles; Rate of recharge on a cross-country trip, and side-of-the-road refilling. Rate of recharge is not a factor for local vehicles, you just top off each night. Empty on the side of the road means a tow or an assist vehicle with a generator charging you a half hour, or (as I would design it), easily accessible charge posts in the trunk so an assist vehicle could put a relatively small battery in the trunk and hook up, just to get you to the next town.

EVs do suffer from reduced range in very cold weather, but most of the contractors around here seem to work within about a 30 mile radius of their base so I don't think it will be much of an issue. They usually have power wherever they are working so plugging in and siphoning off a few volts from the customer is an option too. I've had a few contractors here doing the few things I can't do as I build my house. The plumber, electrician and HVAC guys were in older Econolines or newer Transit-type vans, they don't carry all that much weight around. The concrete guy had a big heavy trailer full of forms but he was the exception.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

I like the practical aspects. Seems like it would save lots of money for local contractors, lawn-care outfits, and the like.

Small delivery vans are an obvious parallel product.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

^ Amazon has been running TV commercials here touting their expanding fleet of all-electric delivery vans . . .

I wonder what the useful life costs are for electric vehicles. Sure, tires and brakes will wear out and the battery packs need periodic replacement (Or do they? What is their life span these days, especially if used commercially where the vehicles are replaced with relative frequency?) but no oil changes or all the other degrading fluids that keep a combustion engine happy? I will have to ask around.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    I'm with you Bob, do they have an electric Transit? That certainly seems like a more natural starting place.
    I’ll go for an electric Transit 250 tall top NOW !!!!!
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    I’ll go for an electric Transit 250 tall top NOW !!!!!
    I thought you would. With local use and charging every evening, there should be enough power for your equipment with no engine idling and no generator needed. Perfect application.

I can see the utility of a hybrid of some sort in another fuel price environment.

I live in a loft in an old town outside of Boston, no garage and no ability to charge an electric vehicle. I was very surprised when my neighbor bought a Tesla...how does he charge it? He explained that a number of grocery stores have charging stations...a couple are even free. These rapid charging stations can recharge to 80% in 40 minutes!!!. Between companies having charging stations, hotels, restaurants, grocery stores and a range of 300+ miles I am beginning to see the allure.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    I can see the utility of a hybrid of some sort in another fuel price environment.

For contractor, I'd think a hybrid F-150 would rock... if Ford installed weatherproof 120 VAC outlets. Run the whole crew's tools off the truck.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Conversely a contractor could carry a generator in the bed of their truck, so they'd be all electric, but would have a "get you home" card.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Conversely a contractor could carry a generator in the bed of their truck, so they'd be all electric, but would have a "get you home" card.

I had a pint with a friend of mine earlier this evening, who is a big F-150 fan. He tells me that Ford has a hybrid F-150 coming out in 3 months or so. Has line voltage outlets available as options - up to 30 amps @ 110 VAC to drive your tools, depending on which package you get.

Prolly gotta run the engine as needed, but you could likely power your whole crew off the truck.

I had some work done on the house, every tool the contractor used was battery powered,

I think, in Montana, a hybrid 150 might be a better choice than electric. I knew about the electric, but hadn't heard about the hybrid. Any links to the hybrid info?

Personally I would have concerns about an electric truck. I wonder just how far I would get plowing 20" of snow in low range 4WD in near zero temps. That is the primary reason I have a pickup. Oh and what would the towing range be with a 6,000 lb travel trailer (secondary reason for having a pickup).