Thread: They aren't we'll prepared.

Default They aren't we'll prepared.

Nurses at the hospital in Edmonton are refusing to work due to lack of protective gear. ( Masks, cloaks.)

My niece who is a registered nurse in Redmond Washington, (her husband works for Bill,) is very ticked off since she has to work without any protection.

It seems to me that the athorities should have had bit more foresight. They didn't know that this pandemic was going to happen. But any doctor worth their salt knows that infections can come out of the blue and spread like wildfire.

This pandemic could change the future precautions taken by governments.

Like the Wolf Cub motto: "Be Prepared."
    basil

Default Re: They aren't we'll prepared.

We are in the same epicenter and have made improvised masks for food shopping and such. Fine-weave material like poplin.

Microsoft pushed workers out to work at home weeks ago.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

The staff in my sister's hospital are washing and reusing masks designed to be used only once. Some are refusing to come in. Some have gotten sick. It's bad.

Quote Originally Posted by goodbasil View Post

They didn't know that this pandemic was going to happen.
    Actually, they did. Months ago. When 5 million people left Wuhan during the 48hr window before they locked it down.

Of course we're not prepared. Trump disbanded the agencies created for this. Trump has ignored the potential spread. He knows more than the experts.

Bill Gates warned us years ago.

Even now, Trump refuses to believe Cuomo will need all the ventilators he expects he'll need.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Of course we're not prepared. Trump disbanded the agencies created for this. Trump has ignored the potential spread. He knows more than the experts.
    You may have missed the fact that the OP is referring to a Canadian hospital.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Kevin, I don't know that we're in much better shape than the US. I think it's possible that we are only marginally better. I'm hoping we're significantly better but I'm not holding my breath yet. We're only just starting to see things, testing etc. We'll know better in a few weeks time when this social distancing we've been trying to implement does or does not help us out. The US will have to start their social distancing now that spring break is over. Spring break, can you imagine that?
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Thumbs up Re: They aren't we'll prepared.

Private citizens and businesses are donating masks, gloves and any thing else they have to the hospitals here.
    Trying like all hell to keep our caregivers safe.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

My wife sewed 50, a mix of adult and pediatric sizes. She also emailed the pattern for them to all the girls in her 4-H sewing class

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Kevin, I don't know that we're in much better shape than the US. I think it's possible that we are only marginally better. I'm hoping we're significantly better but I'm not holding my breath yet. We're only just starting to see things, testing etc. We'll know better in a few weeks time when this social distancing we've been trying to implement does or does not help us out. The US will have to start their social distancing now that spring break is over. Spring break, can you imagine that?
    My brother in law is a gp on Vancouver Island in a region with a tremendous number of seniors. He is an even-keeled guy but is concerned that they don’t have even the basic resources they’ll need.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    You may have missed the fact that the OP is referring to a Canadian hospital.

Kevin
    You may have missed the fact that Redmond, Washington is in the United States of America. Since 1889 I believe.

my wife reports that there have been no masks available for any of the normal situations in which they use them. in fact, they are prohibited from using masks, even if they supply their own.

hand sanitizer was removed from all the rooms early on, as patients were making off with whole bottles...

If you are healthy, wearing a mask won't protect you. The virus can enter through the eyes. It can easily pass through non HEPA fabrics.

You'll need a rig like this.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    If you are healthy, wearing a mask won't protect you. The virus can enter through the eyes. It can easily pass through non HEPA fabrics.

You'll need a rig like this.
    Shhh...

Globally, there is a shortage now of the material used to make PPE gowns.

Some jurisdictions (Canada among them) are working with the multinational manufacturer of the raw materials, to get supplies for domestic garment manufacturers to then make into gowns etc.

I won't name the global multinational until the announcements are made publicly but you should know that there has been quite remarkable and impressive cooperation by firms oftentimes dismissed as "heartless". Good business sense, of course, but worth acknowledging that they're doing the right thing too.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Default They aren't we'll prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by BETTY-B View Post
    You may have missed the fact that Redmond, Washington is in the United States of America. Since 1889 I believe.

The OP referred to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post

No anti-Canada sentiments intended. My response was as much an objection about accuracy, as it was about politicizing such a critical issue. Heads of state, don't, I think, direct hospital purchasing and personnel departments. At least not until now.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    The OP referred to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Just to be picky, it referred to both:

Nurses at the hospital in Edmonton are refusing to work due to lack of protective gear. ( Masks, cloaks.)

My niece who is a registered nurse in Redmond Washington, (her husband works for Bill,) is very ticked off since she has to work without any protection.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green