Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TomF, what’s the news?

Default TomF, what’s the news?

just asking.

Default Re: TomF, what’s the news?

Still progressing, but no baby yet. Sigh. First babe doesn't really want to see the world yet. Who can blame her?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Still progressing, but no baby yet. Sigh. First babe doesn't really want to see the world yet. Who can blame her?
    First babies do seem to want to dawdle. Our #1 was over 40 hours of labor. I was totally wiped out... and SHE was the one doing the work...

Tell 'em they have a rooting section over at WBF...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

They are hoping before midnight local time, but certainly by morning.

It is exactly the stuff that sets a person deep into nostalgia, eh?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Hoping all goes brilliantly, Tom.
    My second grandson arrived this morning at 8:34CDT. Pics in the BYOB.

I hope you don’t mind me asking in a public manner. I spent this morn with the world’s most perfect 8 month old baby, no really, while the grownups did the chicken slaughtering thing. Wishing all the best to you and your daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Z View Post
    Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    I hope you don’t mind me asking in a public manner. I spent this morn with the world’s most perfect 8 month old baby, no really, while the grownups did the chicken slaughtering thing. Wishing all the best to you and your daughter.
    Not bothered in the least. For most of us, these are the big things in our lives, eh?

Good thoughts and wishes from the Reverend Sweetie and me.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

They are hoping before midnight local time, but certainly by morning.

It is exactly the stuff that sets a person deep into nostalgia, eh?
    My ex thought I was traumatized by it.

I think I was.

Not bothered in the least. For most of us, these are the big things in our lives, eh?
    I didn’t get to be with my first two grandkids for long in their baby to toddler stage but I am now with this one since she was born shortly after I moved here. It feels like when my girls were that age and the new rooms opened up in my heart.

Gentle progress.

Interesting - I can't help but be reliving my daughter's own birth, as she and my SIL follow this one through.

I have never been so grateful for modern medicine; the placenta didn't detach, and when the obstetrician tried to bring it along the thing ripped in half in his hands. Herself started bleeding out on the table, and without a word to me they pushed everyone out of the way and sped the gurney at about 60 miles per hour into an operating room. Leaving me and one bewildered nurse with the baby in a bassinet in the empty delivery suite .

20 minutes later, all was well - but had it been a home birth, I'd have been a single father.

My daughter was the first of our 3 - Herself would also have died bringing our youngest into the world. One part of why we stopped.

History will not repeat, and my daughter is far healthier than her mother has ever been. But I am glad she's giving birth in a hospital, and that her husband is himself an MD.

gentle progress sounds good. My girls were born in a hospital with a midwife and obstetrician. My first grandchild was born in a hospital and the last two here in a house ten miles from medical care and a helipad to a hospital. I am very relieved my daughter did not have to go through what her mother did to have her.

Hope things turn out well as soon as possible. The niece tried to bleed out a few years ago when she her second, and last, child. They got the bleeding sorted fairly quickly bur she had a number if issues to deal with down the road.

With our first my wife was in labor for 15 hours when she had a seizure. It was just me and a nurse in the delivery room when it happened and she tried to wheel the gurney over to the O2 but couldn't budge it. I think the wheels were locked but didn't bother to look, I just grabbed it and dragged it close enough for the hose to reach. That sucker weighed 500 pounds easy. Adrenaline is amazing stuff.

The doctor was there in a flash and gave her magnesium sulfate and dilantin and pretty soon she was stabilized, then it was off to the operating room for an emergency Cesarean, which I got to witness. As soon as the boy was out they handed him to me. Within minutes he was turning blue. I let them know and he told one of the nurses to attend to it. She suctioned him and tried to give him O2 but something was wrong with that apparatus as well so I pulled out my trusty pocket knife, cut the hose, stuffed it in his mouth and cracked the valve. Saved him.

Glad I was there. Glad we didn't do the home birth with the midwife.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    With our first my wife was in labor for 15 hours when she had a seizure. It was just me and a nurse in the delivery room when it happened and she tried to wheel the gurney over to the O2 but couldn't budge it. I think the wheels were locked but didn't bother to look, I just grabbed it and dragged it close enough for the hose to reach. That sucker weighed 500 pounds easy. Adrenaline is amazing stuff.

The doctor was there in a flash and gave her magnesium sulfate and dilantin and pretty soon she was stabilized, then it was off to the operating room for an emergency Cesarean, which I got to witness. As soon as the boy was out they handed him to me. Within minutes he was turning blue. I let them know and he told one of the nurses to attend to it. She suctioned him and tried to give him O2 but something was wrong with that apparatus as well so I pulled out my trusty pocket knife, cut the hose, stuffed it in his mouth and cracked the valve. Saved him.

Quick thinking.

Our #1 started at home. There was no crisis, but we did move to the hospital because of when the waters broke, and the length of the labor, and resulting risk of infection. But the midwife had an ongoing relationship with the birth center at the hospital just a mile away, so it was all fine. Our #2 started at home and stayed there. Happened smooth and easy.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

My wife was having a long labor with our first and the nurses were just saying we'll let nature take its course. The mid wife examined her and said she had a long way to go and then she went home to wait for the call. The missus said Ok I've had enough of this- get me some zinc cream. I called a nurse and asked for zinc cream, she asked if my wife had chapped lips. I said no, she wants it on the soles of her feet. Nurse thought weirdos but got the cream anyway. I rubbed it on my wifes feet and she had a really big bad contraction. The nurses called the midwife who arrived in a couple of minutes and called the doctor. Doctor came straight in and missed the whole thing- my daughter had been born. The nurses reckoned the zinc cream had nothing to do with it, but the old midwife reckoned she'd never seen a woman progress that fast, including her time delivering hundreds of babies during several years as a midwife in Africa. JayInOz

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post

Impressive , for sure.

Instinctive.

Our first was in a Birthing Center with a midwife and all was well. All 10.1 pounds of him. The next two were in a hospital. On the ward where my wife was a Labor and Delivery nurse. Her coworkers took good care of her.

Best wishes to the young couple.

Well, for our first, we went down to the airport, hung out with friends at Gate 8 on the Gold Concourse, and waited for the flight from Seoul to get in. It was a bit late, but eventually a very nice Korean lady with very limited English (but far more than my Korean) brought Vicky off the plane and handed her to us. After that, it was pretty much like everybody else's experience, except we started at four months old and were very worried about baby jet lag (didn't happen, as it turned out). Doing it that way has its points, way less messy and painful at the beginning, but I tell you, if everybody had to fill out that much paperwork to reproduce, the human race would have died out long ago.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 07-11-2020 at 09:23 PM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

On pins and needles, here in Texas.

Sending good vibes.
    Rattling the teacups.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Z View Post
    Congratulations!!

Rob said I should go and ask to talk to the manager, and threaten to leave a 1 star review on Yelp!
    J said it was a weekend, and there's no manager. Only pimply teens chewing gum .

Its gonna continue into the wee smalls , maybe even a Breakfast Baby.

But allegedly mom and recalcitrant babe are doing great...

Good thoughts sent your way.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

11:45, the babe makes a grand entrance Resized_received_279342096830198_184328050773351.jpg

I am so damned happy

Excellent!
    Rattling the teacups.

Huge congrats!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Wonderful!
    Congratulation, Grandpa!

Welcome to the world, Little One Congratulations to Mum, Dad and grandparents too JayInOz

For the sprout --

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

My dad always maintained that the kid chooses her time of birth. All about getting the stars that she's destined to have.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Woo hoo!!!!

Name? Gender?

Mom looks really happy. Congratulations to all.