Thread: 54M Americans going hungry

Default 54M Americans going hungry

Somebody explain to me why our government consistently spends money it does not have and fails to build reserves so it can handle the financial problems associated with a pandemic. We can anticipate this problem happening again and we need to have the reserves to meet the needs of our people.

54 million Americans are going hungry. Here's how you can make sure you eat

The economic fallout of the Covid-19 pandemic is driving up food insecurity across America.

"What we've seen, has been, unfortunately, a steady level of greatly, significantly increased need, since the pandemic started," said Katie Fitzgerald, Chief Operating Officer of Feeding America.

Feeding America, the nation's largest hunger-relief organization, says more than 54 million people in the country could soon face food insecurity. That is 17 million more than before the coronavirus outbreak. The non-profit has seen a 60 percent increase in food assistance needs since March.

"About 40 percent of the people who are showing up for food distributions have never before had to rely on charitable food assistance," Fitzgerald told CNN.

"People are really trying to figure out how they can access help with feeding themselves and their family," she added. "It is a basic need that every human being has to be able to know when you wake up in the morning that you're going to be able to eat."

This food-access crisis is threatening to exacerbate the already glaring health disparities for vulnerable people including low-income families, children, and older adults.
    There is more. It makes you think.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/54...?ocid=msedgdhp

Default Re: 54M Americans going hungry

It has become a joke to pretend that any government follows Keynesian Economics and builds up surpluses in good times.

I have been there before, feeding my family on food being thrown out of restaurants. Thankfully we were in Miami and if you go hungry there, you are stupid. Fruit literally falls from roadside trees and fishing is easy. But, coconuts and fish leave much to be desired in ones diet. I used to cook in old soup cans with wood chips and cheap charcoal.

I'm paranoid about ever going through that in life again. Most folks live life with whatever their ambitions are. Me, all my major financial decisions are biased towards making it more impossible for us to ever go through life like that again. Its why I paid cash down for a house close to fishable water, keep food stocked, have chickens and a garden. Maybe I'll tell the story later, but I'll tell you this, hunger is a powerful motivator and im offended at the number of hungry/struggling veterans out there. Me being a vet, its a goal of mine to spear head an effort to assist in that. Everytime I get to a point I feel like I can try, life takes my knees out though.

It has become a joke to pretend that any government follows Keynesian Economics and builds up surpluses in good times.
    as well a joke they care about people.

Meanwhile, there's no need to save for emergencies... Congress had no difficulties finding 6.5 trillion for the ATFW - & (next to) none for the little people. Meanwhile, Rashida Tlaib showed us how to help those little people. Y'all saw that, right? No? Hmmm.. guess Pelosi hid it well.

Anytime y'all want to stop pretending (you &) Dems are for the poor would be fine by me.

Oh, to answer your question, because they are differently aware of money & financing than you. Countries aren't states, aren't businesses, aren't people.
    Last edited by Durnik; 10-27-2020 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by peb
    It's even more of a joke to think that 'trickle down' economics (massive tax cuts for the wealthy) is a better solution. It's worth reflecting that the only administration in recent times to have posted a surplus was Bill Clinton's.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

What is ATFW?
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    It's even more of a joke to think that 'trickle down' economics (massive tax cuts for the wealthy) is a better solution. It's worth reflecting that the only administration in recent times to have posted a surplus was Bill Clinton's.
    Amen to that!

Personally, I don't care if they build savings or take loans that they pay off. We need to be fiscally responsible and that includes taking care of business when times get tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Durnik View Post
    Anytime y'all want to stop pretending (you &) Dems are for the poor would be fine by me.
    But many like the fiction.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Somebody explain to me why our government consistently spends money it does not have and fails to build reserves so it can handle the financial problems associated with a pandemic. We can anticipate this problem happening again and we need to have the reserves to meet the needs of our people.
    Government can print money and confiscate assets if necessary.

But with so many people continually asking for money it is difficult to save.
    Life is complex.

I do not know.. one less F35 fighter would feed a LOT of people.

New Jersey, under Chris Christie depleted it's rainy day fund and never refilled it. Our new Governor, Murphy, had just started to put money back into it when the Virus hit. I think that explains everything when you consider Christie was Republican and Murphy a Democrat.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    What is ATFW?
    Already Too Fn Wealthy.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    It’s the cynical combination of trickledown tax cuts in good times, and bailouts primarily benefitting the wealthy in bad times used to generate more calls to punish the poor thats particularly galling.

The main difference between the two parties is one taxes and spends; the other borrows and spends, meaning more taxes come later.

Reagan was a great salesman. He SOLD the country on the concept we can borrow indefinitely and NEVER pay it off.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Amen to that!

Personally, I don't care if they build savings or take loans that they pay off. We need to be fiscally responsible and that includes taking care of business when times get tough.
    It should come as no surprise that Robert Reich disagrees with you -

"No industry -- not airlines, not hotels, not cruise ships -- should be bailed out. They can stay in business by borrowing at rock-bottom rates, using their assets as collateral.

Taxpayer money should be used to bail out people, not corporations."

but then again, it's your stocks that worry you so.. so, never mind.

oh, and the applicable simple picto meme -

saving.for.bootstraps.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    What is ATFW?
    and my main man Mahan called it - Already Too F'n Wealthy.
    Last edited by Durnik; 10-27-2020 at 12:59 PM. Reason: better link for Reich's Wise Words..

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    The main difference between the two parties is one taxes and spends; the other borrows and spends, meaning more taxes come later.

Reagan was a great salesman. He SOLD the country on the concept we can borrow indefinitely and NEVER pay it off.
    No, no.. He sold the country on the belief he was a good guy on 'their side'.. mostly with racist dog whistles. The rest followed as night follows day.

Feeding America, the nation's largest hunger-relief organization, says more than 54 million people in the country could soon face food insecurity.
    You know, to be blunt, I don't believe it. We have plenty of problems, but 'food insecurity' is a very ill-defined term, and 'could soon face' is even vaguer. This is a fundraising pitch - for a good cause, but a fundraising pitch nonetheless, in which they think it's in their interest to make the problem seem as dire as possible. And remember the universal truth that 'bad news sells papers' - or gets mouse clicks, or whatever the modern digital equivalent may be Yes, it's a problem. 54 million starving people? No.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 10-27-2020 at 01:41 PM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

It should come as no surprise that Robert Reich disagrees with you -

"No industry -- not airlines, not hotels, not cruise ships -- should be bailed out. They can stay in business by borrowing at rock-bottom rates, using their assets as collateral.

Taxpayer money should be used to bail out people, not corporations."

What? When did I say it was the stocks that worry me? My comment was about people going hungry. As for Reich, I think less of him than you might imagine because I remember some of what he did during the Clinton years which includes trying to clear the way to bring computer programmers from outside the country in to take jobs held by Americans, but on this point we do not disagree. Perhaps you have a problem either understanding what you read or clearly expressing yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    You know, to be blunt, I don't believe it. We have plenty of problems, but 'food insecurity' is a very ill-defined term, and 'could soon face' is even vaguer. This is a fundraising pitch - for a good cause, but a fundraising pitch nonetheless, in which they think it's in their interest to make the problem seem as dire as possible. And remember the universal truth that 'bad news sells papers' - or gets mouse clicks, or whatever the modern digital equivalent may be Yes, it's a problem. 54 million starving people? No.
    theres 10 million less employed people than there were in December

12 million unemployed

7 million not in the labor force who want a job

lots O pain going round

Oh, no question we have plenty of problems, some quite serious. My point stands.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Oh, no question we have plenty of problems, some quite serious. My point stands.
    Your belief stands, yes, and it’s as poorly supported as it was before. It’s a squishy number, no doubt, but blanket dismissals aren’t serious.

There is a difference between knowing where your next meal is coming from and when, and not knowing. A lot of people don't know.

A good number of kids were getting 2 meals a day at schools. Now they are getting similar meals from food banks. At least as long as food banks have the resources. Are they starving? No. Do they know how long they will be given food? No.

I can agree that it is a fund raising pitch. One that is not needed. I give to a food bank as do many others. In particular, there is a business and a foundation that also give. They each alone have the resources to fully fund the food bank forever.

Few are starving relative to the conditions and numbers in Africa. But we should do better than offer them healthcare.
    Life is complex.

What? When did I say it was the stocks that worry me? My comment was about people going hungry. As for Reich, I think less of him than you might imagine because I remember some of what he did during the Clinton years which includes trying to clear the way to bring computer programmers from outside the country in to take jobs held by Americans, but on this point we do not disagree. Perhaps you have a problem either understanding what you read or clearly expressing yourself?
    when did I say 'you said..' - some things are obvious - such as you and difficulties understanding.

theres 10 million less employed people than there were in December

12 million unemployed

7 million not in the labor force who want a job

lots O pain going round
    aye, to that last - and of course, there are many more millions starving/freezing etc than the doctored stats show..

when did I say 'you said..' - some things are obvious - such as you and difficulties understanding.
    So, you did not say this in response to my post?

It was not part of the Reich quote. It is said directly to me. Do you understand now?

^ of course I understand.. I put " " around Reichs' words..

and he has changed since his Clinton days..

of course it pays to remember that in those days, his hands were constrained by the (still) official story.. today, he is free to point out the problems.