Thread: Advice on Extending Internet.

Default Advice on Extending Internet.

Hey everyone,

Now that it appears my work-at-home state will continue into the foreseeable future, I’m looking to run internet out to my barn so that I can dedicate a home office space in the upstairs studio.

In addition, SWMBO would like to be able to stream her exercise classes into the studio as well without gobbling up our cellular data and I frequently watch YouTube videos on fly-tying in their too.

With this in mind, I thinking of running a buried Cat6 cable from the router in the house, out to the barn (total run < 200 feet) and connect to a wireless access point.

Does anyone here have any experience with this? Is this within the realm of your average non-network administrator? Are there features or models that you would recommend for a WAP? I’m assuming that my router doesn’t support POE, so if I need an injector to use a particular model then I’m cool with that.

All advice is appreciated.
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

Default Re: Advice on Extending Internet.

That's one way to do it - but running cables can be a royal PITA - if you have power to the barn then perhaps a powerline setup might work...

https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...ne-networking/

You can plug straight into the ethernet port on the remote - or dangle a WAP or network hub off it.... - I use both of these

See also "Mesh" networking setups - such as Google's "Nest" - Sprog raves about these.
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/smart-...t-wifi-review/
    Last edited by P.I. Stazzer-Newt; 03-30-2020 at 09:01 AM.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

I wanted to get wifi down at the river (maybe 400 feet from the house, down a hill, through a bunch of trees), so I stuck one of these on a stair rail outside: https://www.amazon.ca/Wavlink-Extend...5577210&sr=8-1

It works very well. Apparently, you can set it up as a simple repeater, but I haven't tried that. Instead, I ran an ethernet cable from my router to the device, and set it up as an independent access point.

I've buildt networks at home and at my mother's place. My experience is that 200 feet isn't a problem. I've used CAT5 cables because 100 Mbit for my connections were sufficient. I'd do it as you suggest, use a cable. I'd plug the cable into one of the outputs on the existing router put another router with wireless capability in the barn. It might take a little effort to set up the router in the barn, but the manual or Google should give you the help you need. The absolute easiest installation is to skip the wireless in the barn and simply use an ethernet switch with the number of ouputs you desire.
    /Erik

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    That's one way to do it - but running cables can be a royal PITA - if you have power to the barn then perhaps a powerline setup might work...

https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...ne-networking/

You can plug straight into the ethernet port on the remote - or dangle a WAP or network hub off it.... - I use both of these

See also "Mesh" networking setups - such as Google's "Nest" - Sprog raves about these.
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/smart-...t-wifi-review/
    One thing to keep in mind with a powerline setup is that they will not work through a breaker. So if you have a panel to distribute power in your barn you'll need to choose another option.

Disclaimer: This has been my eperience with equipment from 5 or 6 year ago, things may have changed since but I'm doubtful.
    Indeed, I come here for entertainment, not "truth". - Sky Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    One thing to keep in mind with a powerline setup is that they will not work through a breaker. So if you have a panel to distribute power in your barn you'll need to choose another option.

Disclaimer: This has been my eperience with equipment from 5 or 6 year ago, things may have changed since but I'm doubtful.
    I was curious about that when I was reading into them. The electric service goes to the barn and the house is on a sub-panel from there, so the two units would have 3-5 circuit breakers between them, depending on where it’s placed in the barn.

Quote Originally Posted by ERGR View Post
    I've buildt networks at home and at my mother's place. My experience is that 200 feet isn't a problem. I've used CAT5 cables because 100 Mbit for my connections were sufficient. I'd do it as you suggest, use a cable. I'd plug the cable into one of the outputs on the existing router put another router with wireless capability in the barn. It might take a little effort to set up the router in the barn, but the manual or Google should give you the help you need. The absolute easiest installation is to skip the wireless in the barn and simply use an ethernet switch with the number of ouputs you desire.
    /Erik
    I could work with just the switch, but all the other to-dos on that list require a wireless connection.