Thread: What I find weird about the Breonna Taylor death

Default What I find weird about the Breonna Taylor death

As I understand it, she was in bed. Her boyfriend responded to what he thought were intruders and shot at the police.

The police were executing a warrant looking for someone already in custody.

Once shot at, the cops shot back, but not at the person shooting at them.

One was indicted for shooting the wall. No one was indicted for shooting Breonna.

This whole thing would make a bit more sense if the boyfriend who was shooting at the cops had been killed by the cops.

Just seems the cops would have shot the person shooting them.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Default Re: What I find weird about the Breonna Taylor death

Another inconsistency. There was body cam footage of an officer that was shot AFTER the shooting, but no footage from before or during. Were the cameras turned off? Was the footage deleted? Clearly there were cameras present.

Looks a lot like some sort of coverup. I’m hoping the FBI will get involved.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

I found it interesting that one officer was charged with shooting into a neighboring apt. That apartment was occupied by whites. The neighboring apartments above and below were also fired into, those occupants were black and no charges were filed

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    As I understand it, she was in bed. Her boyfriend responded to what he thought were intruders and shot at the police.

One was indicted for shooting the wall. No one was indicted for shooting Breonna.

This whole thing would make a bit more sense if the boyfriend who was shooting at the cops had been killed by the cops.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Unfortunately it is logical.
    1. Battering the door down in the middle of the night terrifies the occupants. One of whom is a legal gun owner and shoots out of the apartment to defend himself and his partner.
    2. A police officer is hit, so the police return fire.
    3. Two of them are accurate, hitting an occupant of the apartment.
    4. The third cop aims wildly and irresponsibly spraying rounds indiscriminately to the endangerment of the occupants of the surrounding apartments.
    5. The two officers who did not spray return fire at random acted responsibly under the (totally screwed up) circumstances.
    Who knows what the boyfriend did? Took cover round a corner in the passage?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

This is an example of so much that's wrong with US police training. Even if the officers did shout "police", the chaos of breaking down the door while shouting, of giving the occupants no chance to gather their wits, is guaranteed to be trouble. Any late night raid on sleeping people is trouble. Not taking account of the fact that an occupant was legally armed in utterly inexcusable. The police did not have any credible connection to this apartment for even a normal peaceful daylight warrant, much less an extreme raid that can only be justified in rare circumstances.

I don't know if the officers should be tried for murder or manslaughter, but the chief and supervising officers should be fired. They are not fit for remedial training and clearly not fit to lead.

Who knows what the boyfriend did? Took cover round a corner in the passage?
    We don't know. WE DO know the person they were looking for was already in custody. Who's to blame for these cops not knowing that?

Much we don't know. I just find it odd that 'trained' cops hit everything by the guy who shot at them.

There's a lot here that, to me, makes no sense. That begins with the cops not being told to cease, as the suspect was in custody. I would think cops would shoot in the direction bullets aimed at them were coming from.

I just find all of this a bit puzzling. After the door being broken into, it would make sense, to me, that the cops returned fire, heavily, aimed at the man with the gun. Blindly spraying the room is not, I'd expect, what they are supposed to do.

I just find this entire thing a bit weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    This is an example of so much that's wrong with US police training. Even if the officers did shout "police", the chaos of breaking down the door while shouting, of giving the occupants no chance to gather their wits, is guaranteed to be trouble. Any late night raid on sleeping people is trouble. Not taking account of the fact that an occupant was legally armed in utterly inexcusable. The police did not have any credible connection to this apartment for even a normal peaceful daylight warrant, much less an extreme raid that can only be justified in rare circumstances.

I don't know if the officers should be tried for murder or manslaughter, but the chief and supervising officers should be fired. They are not fit for remedial training and clearly not fit to lead.
    Neither Political Party will address the root cause of police violence against the citizens they are to protect and serve and what ended civil policing. It is the so called "War on Drugs". An economic control tool used to maintain scarcity and high revenues. The death of Breonna Taylor highlights that. The real reason they won't discuss it politically, even though it is obviously why police violence is clearly greater in socially and economically disadvantaged communities is that elected officials profit directly from the sale of illegal narcotics. Another Nixon gift that keeps on giving.
    "Deconstruction is not a method, and cannot be transformed into one" Jacques Derrida (19302004)

We don't know. WE DO know the person they were looking for was already in custody. Who's to blame for these cops not knowing that?

Much we don't know. I just find it odd that 'trained' cops hit everything by the guy who shot at them.

There's a lot here that, to me, makes no sense. That begins with the cops not being told to cease, as the suspect was in custody. I would think cops would shoot in the direction bullets aimed at them were coming from.

I just find all of this a bit puzzling. After the door being broken into, it would make sense, to me, that the cops returned fire, heavily, aimed at the man with the gun. Blindly spraying the room is not, I'd expect, what they are supposed to do.

I just find this entire thing a bit weird.
    You cannot aim at what you cannot see.
    There is an entire list of what they should or could have done, but working in an environment when some woman at a traffic stop grabs a gun and starts shooting, as is on record, makes this happen
    When soo many US citizens are legally armed, as in this case, any no knock warrant is potential suicide of police followed by suicide by police.

You cannot aim at what you cannot see.
    There is an entire list of what they should or could have done, but working in an environment when some woman at a traffic stop grabs a gun and starts shooting, as is on record, makes this happen
    Defend the part about the suspect already being in custody. Who dropped that 'ball'?

Quote Originally Posted by Landrith View Post
    Neither Political Party will address the root cause of police violence against the citizens they are to protect and serve and what ended civil policing. It is the so called "War on Drugs". An economic control tool used to maintain scarcity and high revenues. The death of Breonna Taylor highlights that. The real reason they won't discuss it politically, even though it is obviously why police violence is clearly greater in socially and economically disadvantaged communities is that elected officials profit directly from the sale of illegal narcotics. Another Nixon gift that keeps on giving.
    I've long argued for legalizing the drugs. This works no better than Prohibition worked. We had the sense to end that.

Defend the part about the suspect already being in custody. Who dropped that 'ball'?
    Defend? Where am I defending any of this fustercluck? I have pointed out the logic behind the Grand Juries decision, but they were dealing with the unintended consequences of a stupid decision by SCOTUS in Heller.

Systems screw up all the time, people fail to join the dots, people are not made aware of plans, people do not know that others need to be informed of developments. Stuff happens. However, when you have (legally) armed your citizenry, such stuff becomes fatal.

...working in an environment when some woman at a traffic stop grabs a gun and starts shooting, as is on record, makes this happen
    Just going to throw this out there. Back in the Ye Olde Weste, Dodge City, OK Corral, most towns of any size prohibited "the carrying of dangerous weapons of any type, concealed or otherwise, by persons other than law enforcement officers."

And consequently, pretty low homicide rates - from the data in the article, across those 5 rough and tumble frontier towns across those 15 years, averages out to about 30 homicides per 100,000 population per year. From the article:

"Historian Robert Dykstra focused on established cattle towns, recording homicides after a full season of cattle shipments had already passed and by which time they'd have typically passed firearm law. He found a combined 45 murders from 1870-1885 in Kansas' five largest cattle towns by the 1880 census: Wichita (population: 4,911), Abilene (2,360) Caldwell (1,005), Ellsworth (929), and Dodge City (996).

Averaged out, there were 0.6 murders per town, per year. The worst years were Ellsworth, 1873, and Dodge City, 1876, with five killings each; because of their small populations, their FBI homicide rates would be high. Another historian, Rick Shenkman, found Tombstone's (1880 pop: 3,423) most violent year was 1881, in which also only five people were killed; three were the cowboys shot by Earp's men at the OK Corral."

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...est-180968013/

All those westerns shot in the 40s, 50s, and 60s lied about how violent the Old West was.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

^ I remember a comment discussing one "Wild West" gunfight. The only protagonist injured had shot himself in the foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Just going to throw this out there. Back in the Ye Olde Weste, Dodge City, OK Corral, most towns of any size prohibited "the carrying of dangerous weapons of any type, concealed or otherwise, by persons other than law enforcement officers."

And consequently, pretty low homicide rates - from the data in the article, across those 5 rough and tumble frontier towns across those 15 years, averages out to about 30 homicides per 100,000 population per year. From the article:

"Historian Robert Dykstra focused on established cattle towns, recording homicides after a full season of cattle shipments had already passed and by which time they'd have typically passed firearm law. He found a combined 45 murders from 1870-1885 in Kansas' five largest cattle towns by the 1880 census: Wichita (population: 4,911), Abilene (2,360) Caldwell (1,005), Ellsworth (929), and Dodge City (996).

Averaged out, there were 0.6 murders per town, per year. The worst years were Ellsworth, 1873, and Dodge City, 1876, with five killings each; because of their small populations, their FBI homicide rates would be high. Another historian, Rick Shenkman, found Tombstone's (1880 pop: 3,423) most violent year was 1881, in which also only five people were killed; three were the cowboys shot by Earp's men at the OK Corral."

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...est-180968013/

All those westerns shot in the 40s, 50s, and 60s lied about how violent the Old West was.

Yup. Reality displaced by Hollywood. And Hollywood now creates the reality. People want to be what they see. The world would be a better place with more sex and less violence on the big screen. Funny which is considered worse. Not actually funny. Very very sad actually.

No, Breonna Taylor was not shot in her bed. She was in the hallway.
    https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ng/5326938002/