Thread: California To Ban Sale Of New Gas-Only Cars By 2035

Default California To Ban Sale Of New Gas-Only Cars By 2035

• California Governor Newsom has signed an executive order that bans the sale of new gas-powered passenger cars in California starting in 2035.
    • The zero-emissions effort will allow for gas-powered vehicles to continue to be sold on the used market in the state.
    • California has led the nation in emissions rules since the '70s. Todayís order pushes that further.

California has long led the country in emissions standards and has had its own emissions standard since California was issued a waiver under the 1970 Clean Air Act. Gov. Gavin Newsom is pushing that further today with an executive order that all new in-state sales of passenger vehicles must be zero-emission by 2035. In other words, only EVs will be available for purchase as new vehicles from 2035 forward in the state. Announced in a live feed, the order was signed on the hood of a Ford Mustang Mach-E.

He could have stood in front of a better vehicle

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...vehicles-2035/
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Default Re: California To Ban Sale Of New Gas-Only Cars By 2035

Wishful bunch of tree huggers with no clue of technology, how did all that GREEN energy work out with the rolling blackouts in Colyfornia.

Cool Re: California To Ban Sale Of New Gas-Only Cars By 2035

I'll still be drivin my 98 Dodge truck if I'm still alive.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

california flexing muscle. in the end, it will matter more than all the woodpiles in the country, praise jeebus.

i am for it. why not change?

the rule we've lived by has led us here, ffs.

shake it up, see what happens.

that's 15 years down the road, we are already seeing the fruits of that endeavor starting to blossom. My next new or newer car will be electric.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Domesticated_Mr. Know It All View Post
    I'll still be drivin my 98 Dodge truck if I'm still alive.
    My 97 Toyota still has that new car smell!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Anybody remember Enron?
    Rolling black outs?
    Nuclear power will make a comeback.

What about Enron???

And how does that relate to this

In 15 years climate change effects will either have 'disappeared' or have become so obvious that none can deny them. But i 15 years parts of California may no longer be safely inhabitable. Insurance will decide this BTW, not governments, though governments may decide that replacing infrastructure every few years because of fire is no longer a viable prospect.

I don't know if this is the best link but
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...5/enron.usnews.

And I wonder what people think of the message here.
    https://www.redbubble.com/i/sticker/...29592255.EJUG5

Quote Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
    Wishful bunch of tree huggers with no clue of technology, how did all that GREEN energy work out with the rolling blackouts in Colyfornia.
    Your fossil fueled lifestyle is a free lunch that people centuries from now will not enjoy. Lucky for us. woop woop.
    Last edited by LeeG; 09-23-2020 at 07:03 PM.

thank you california

anybody remember this car? and when it appeared on the market? how many were produced? and most importantly, why it was produced?

50675104-4E0A-42E4-9DA8-676A270BF24C.jpeg
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

some overlapping charts would be nice

x axis - time
    y axis - number of electric vehicles sold, number of passenger miles driven by e vehicle, percent of total fleet e vehicles comprise, percent of total passenger miles e vehicles comprise, average range, average cost

I'll be 88 and won't own a car.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

I simply ask where the power will come from, I hear that our grid is in a sorry state as it is, didn't the power lines them self cause several of last years fires?
    I am concerned that by putting the cart before the horse, will we all of a sudden need nuclear power. And really it looks like it will be in the name of science.
    Might be me, people might of already come to the conclusion the Nuclear power is safe.
    I live in a state that spent 4.5 billion for nothing, and I really don't think I even type all the things that went wrong. I have heard that there are college courses on what went wrong.
    I really think we are being set up.
    I know there are a lot of people that want electric car, and that is great. But windmills are not going to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShorelineJohn View Post
    I simply ask where the power will come from, I hear that our grid is in a sorry state as it is, didn't the power lines them self cause several of last years fires?
    I am concerned that by putting the cart before the horse, will we all of a sudden need nuclear power. And really it looks like it will be in the name of science.
    Might be me, people might of already come to the conclusion the Nuclear power is safe.
    I live in a state that spent 4.5 billion for nothing, and I really don't think I even type all the things that went wrong. I have heard that there are college courses on what went wrong.
    I really think we are being set up.
    I know there are a lot of people that want electric car, and that is great. But windmills are not going to do it.
    The same petroleum that is powering cars now, can power the electric powerplants, the latter will just use 1/3-1/2 of the same fuel to power the same number of vehicles and payload. More efficient. And other sources of feedstock can be turned to electricity, from windmills to solar panels, not 100%, but some here, some there, it adds up.

Vehicle charging power will be sent along the grid "off-peak", and that's everything. Grids are built for peak demand.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

The same petroleum that is powering cars now, can power the electric powerplants, the latter will just use 1/3-1/2 of the same fuel to power the same number of vehicles and payload. More efficient
    You maintain that we can burn oil in a power plant to generate electricity to power a car and that that is more efficient than burning the oil in the car in the first place? I doubt it. Normal losses in generation and transmission don't seem to make that likely, the engergy density of dead dinosaur notwithstanding.

Can you provide a cite to back up this statement?

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

ICE in automobiles run at a maximum efficiency of 20%
    Oil fired power plants run at 60% efficiency
    its unlikely that california will replace it's ICE powered cars with electric cars running on electricity produced strictly from oil. . .

It’s like the rest of the world doesn’t exist to the ICEs forever people. Unlike in the late 1990s, there’s lots of global players entering volume production of ZEVs right now.

I like electric vehicles, but won't buy until they are way more affordable, period.

way more affordable than what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    I like electric vehicles, but won't buy until they are way more affordable, period.

SWMBO bought an almost new Honda Insight hybrid 10 years ago apart from brakes tires and (very rare) oil changes, it has cost her zero in maintenance. There were a couple of years where it was garaged half the year.

She'd like a Leaf and a solar roof, but would be loath to give up the Honda.

There were the airbags under warranty too.

i believe the leaf has the lowest cost of ownership, less vehicle price, of any new vehicle, and they don't cost that much to buy

lowest cost to drive per mile
    lowest cost to maintain
    lowest cost to repair

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    i believe the leaf has the lowest cost of ownership, less vehicle price, of any new vehicle, and they don't cost that much to buy

lowest cost to drive per mile
    lowest cost to maintain
    lowest cost to repair
    used they are even cheaper to buy, almost being given away.

Another thing to consider...MOST (but not all) fossil fuel powered generating operates 24/7. However the load from the grid is anything but constant. The demand goes way down at night when electric usage at stores, office buildings, some manufacturing and even residential goes way down...Yet that is the exact time when electric vehicles will "typically" be charging off the grid. So the NET increase in the consumption of fossil fuels and production of CO2 MAY be minimal.

I donít see how zero emissions is possible in all applications but very low emissions should be possible with hybrids. I wonder what the regulations for buying out of state used cars will be? I could see used cars flowing into Ca.

The transition has to happen, I donít think itíll happen trying to replace an ICE car centric economy with an electric car centric economy. Itíll happen making a less car centric economy which I donít think anyone in govít wants to say.

which I donít think anyone in govít wants to say.
    lots of metropolitan governments are saying just that: nyc, paris, london, rome (not georgia)