Thread: Hey Dave Hadfield, your brotherís waving at you!

Default Hey Dave Hadfield, your brotherís waving at you!

The Algorithm Is Watching

Default Re: Hey Dave Hadfield, your brotherís waving at you!

I'll be damned. You ain't kidding. I never made the connection. I also didn't know Dave had his own wiki page.

I also didn't recall areas of the exterior with what appear to be additional layering over the tiles. I'll have to research if that is original or was a revised design.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

That thing is freaking amazing. There is just absolutely no way I would ever be brave enough to strap into one of those seats, so it doesn’t matter that I likely wouldn’t measure up.

I was lucky enough to see one take off and one land.

That photo really does a great job of conveying the scale of the thing.

In. Sane.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    That thing is freaking amazing. There is just absolutely no way I would ever be brave enough to strap into one of those seats, so it doesn’t matter that I likely wouldn’t measure up.

I was lucky enough to see one take off and one land.

That photo really does a great job of conveying the scale of the thing.

In. Sane.
    That size is not surprising to me. What is surprising to many (including me as a youngster) is coming up close to a modern "fighter" jet; Due to the agility, folks figure they are small, and they are as military aircraft go, but an F-15 is longer than a WWII B-25 medium bomber, and only 10 feet shorter than a WWII B-17 heavy bomber.

There are very specific engineering techniques, now used worldwide, designed to cope with the complexities of sending a launch system into space that has something like a million parts. EDIT: Online from NASA says "2-1/2 million moving parts".
    Last edited by Bob (oh, THAT Bob); 11-18-2020 at 11:17 PM.

Years ago I saw a guy demonstrating a space shuttle tile. He held it in his hand while another guy lit it up with an oxyacetylene torch. Glowing cherry red, the torch side of the tile was ... while he held it in his hand.

Amazing stuff.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. ó P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...light=Hadfield

and it's worth seeing this again.

Hah! Yeah I remember that. Chris enjoyed every minute of that mission.

So so did we -- it was a big event for our family, everybody went to the Cape and we had a reunion. Several memorable parties.

There was one flight, his first to the ISS, when he was making a video and reached into his pocket and pulled out his Swiss Army Mnife. He held it up to the camera for a second and said, "Look at this, Dave!" And then he went on. It was a family joke -- I'm the guy who is never without a SAK, and everyone is always asking to borrow it.

If if you can possibly arrange it, go see a big rocket get launched. TV doesn't do it justice. The real event is vastly more impressive. You get smacked by the raw brutal elemental force of it all.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    Hah! Yeah I remember that. Chris enjoyed every minute of that mission.

So so did we -- it was a big event for our family, everybody went to the Cape and we had a reunion. Several memorable parties.

There was one flight, his first to the ISS, when he was making a video and reached into his pocket and pulled out his Swiss Army Mnife. He held it up to the camera for a second and said, "Look at this, Dave!" And then he went on. It was a family joke -- I'm the guy who is never without a SAK, and everyone is always asking to borrow it.

If if you can possibly arrange it, go see a big rocket get launched. TV doesn't do it justice. The real event is vastly more impressive. You get smacked by the raw brutal elemental force of it all.

Dave
    His first to the ISS... insane!

For me that trip would have been pure anxiety, but Iím happy folks like your brother exist, and happier still they are cool enough to play guitar in space.

Yeah, when he went there the second time, in 2012, he said, "I really like what you've done with the place."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    Yeah, when he went there the second time, in 2012, he said, "I really like what you've done with the place."
    And with that, I forever quit even TRYING to be cool or funny.

You folks seem like a wonderful family.

that's super cool. didn't know that about your brother before. i'm glad my brother just makes more money than i do, i wouldn't like it if he got to go to space!

rob, to get me in that thing you'd have to hire the A-Team and knock me out B.A. Barracus style.

You haven't lived until you've been parodied on SNL or other, or in this case, in animation on Archer:

https://archer.fandom.com/wiki/Tony_Drake

Tony is a highly decorated astronaut with the ISA, though shown to be somewhat mentally unhinged. His appearance may be modelled on Chris Hadfield, former captain of the International Space Station.
    I haven't watched the show, just read about it. But I found this particularly hilarious given that the character is the bad guy, given Chris' perception of amicability.