Thread: The Situation in Brazil

Default The Situation in Brazil

It's looking dire right now, and not just with Covid-19.

Bolsonaro makes Trump look like a shrinking violet.

Default Re: The Situation in Brazil

So you admire him?
    Steve Martinsen

Sometimes less is more

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

I dunno. I think President Trump outdid himself today on the weekend where we honor military sacrifices

As the death toll in the coronavirus pandemic neared 100,000 Americans this Memorial Day weekend, President Trump derided and insulted perceived enemies and promoted a baseless conspiracy theory, in between rounds of golf.
    In a flurry of tweets and retweets Saturday and Sunday, Trump mocked former Georgia gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams’s weight, ridiculed the looks of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and called former Democratic presidential rival Hillary Clinton a “skank.”

Just another day in Trumpland.

I don't think he's left grade 3 yet.

I'd still give Bolsonaro a slight edge in personal horrible qualities. I was watching soccer highlight last night on YouTube, and Ronaldinho's astonishing individual virtuosity and his clear utter joy and emotional release in the game was, as my dad said from his time in Brazil, a great example of a key part of Brazilian character.

Bolsonaro is a Brazilian Nazi, and "plays" the execrable Authoritarian game with some of the marks of how the Brazilians play the beautiful game.

Trump, in contrast, is an exaggeration of the "ugly American" stereotype, embodying all that is execrable and plodding and hucksterish in American culture.

I mean, Mussolini was a quintessential Italian-styled dictator, while Hitler was the mad Alberich style Teuton rather than the large blond Siegfried type to which he aspired.

It is curious how our national authoritarians each cleave so closely to the stereotypes of our cultures, eh? Maybe that's why Canadians have never been very good at authoritarianism.

Hard to intimidate the population by apologizing.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Trump might be actually stupider than Bolsonaro - I can't see Bolsonaro saying that bleach in the lungs might be good for covid-19.

However, Bolsonaro is more willfully ignorant than Trump. He is more prone to reject any good advice he might happen to get.

Trump is a narcissist. Bolsonaro, as Tom pointed out, is a Nazi wannabe. Trump will say nice things about Nazis if it makes him popular with his base. Bolsonaro will try to implement Nazi policies and bring his base along.

However, I see little essential difference between both of their bases. The 30% of humankind composed of deplorables, psychopaths, and victims of religion.

I spent some time in both Rio and San Paulo and with Covid19 spreading in the Favelas (slums) this could/will be an unimaginable humanitarian crisis.

Their leader (much our ours) may not want to admit the seriousness of the crisis, but it will be a disaster.

As we have already seen you can't hide the mass graves.

Brazil is following the same policies as your hero, Trump, Sky. You must be wild with joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    Brazil is following the same policies as your hero, Trump, Sky. You must be wild with joy.
    That is incorrect. Hence, the thread.

Your credibility is Zilch.

But... but... if Brazilian creep is worse, then Trump must be ok. OK?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    That is incorrect. Hence, the thread.
    What, precisely, in Bolsonaro's approach do you find unfortunate or ill-advised?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Yep, just so.
    Hence, the thread.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Yes, we’re backfilling the relative rankings from the bottom...
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Too much of a really bad thing is really, really bad.

A very, very few Republicans are abandoning Trump.

One yesterday loudly, for Trump accusing a media figure of murder, without a hint of foundation.

And today, Ann Coulter; After all-in endorsement of Trump and then writing two books favorable to him, only in the past year has she condemned Trump for not being neo-conservative enough, if you can believe that, but today for favoring Jeff Sessions' opponent, football coach Tommy Tuberville in the upcoming primary in Alabama. Coulter likes what Sessions did on immigration. She now believes Trump to be a buffoon. Wow, that took a long time. I hope in every single article and reference to her in the future, they cite both of her glowing books about Trump, In Trump We Trust: E Pluribus Awesome!, and, Resistance is Futile!: How the Trump-Hating Left Lost Its Collective Mind. I hope in every public speaking engagement, members of the audience hold up pictures of the book covers (just don't buy the books).
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    I'd still give Bolsonaro a slight edge in personal horrible qualities. I was watching soccer highlight last night on YouTube, and Ronaldinho's astonishing individual virtuosity and his clear utter joy and emotional release in the game was, as my dad said from his time in Brazil, a great example of a key part of Brazilian character.

Bolsonaro is a Brazilian Nazi, and "plays" the execrable Authoritarian game with some of the marks of how the Brazilians play the beautiful game.

Trump, in contrast, is an exaggeration of the "ugly American" stereotype, embodying all that is execrable and plodding and hucksterish in American culture.

I mean, Mussolini was a quintessential Italian-styled dictator, while Hitler was the mad Alberich style Teuton rather than the large blond Siegfried type to which he aspired.

It is curious how our national authoritarians each cleave so closely to the stereotypes of our cultures, eh? Maybe that's why Canadians have never been very good at authoritarianism.

Hard to intimidate the population by apologizing.
    Very good observations.

Canadians are more likely to be Secretary-General of the United Nations, except other countries still find them suspect for their close relationship with the USA.

And rightly so.

Trump has cancelled port entry for travelers coming via Brazil.

Keep that Brazilian virus out!

Whew.

Brazil nuts?

It's a slow day.

Yup. The country with 100,000 deaths worried about the one with 23,000.

Bolsonaro will be stumped now. He imitates everything Trump does. His movement succeeded in large part through imitating the God, gays, and guns strategy of the Republicans. The virus is a hoax, it is a Chinese plot, the cure is worse than the disease, chloroquine will cure it. Will he ban travel from the US? Or will his head explode in cognitive dissonance?

The US right wing elites have thrown Bolsonaro under the bus?

What is the word on Powerlineblog?

The infection rate in Brazil may be 15 times higher than thought, because of pervasive under-testing in the country.

The WHO has designated South America as the new epicenter of the crisis.

Brazil is not expected to reach it's infection peak for several more weeks.

Where have you been, Sky? George has been saying this was the trajectory for weeks now.

Yes, it is a horrifying, nigh on incomprehensible tragedy, and will only get worse throughout the poor parts of the world. Apocalyptic.

So, how do you feel again about Sweden and letting herd immunity develop naturally and all that? Are you only "getting" this now?

There are concerns now that the health care system in Brazil may collapse. Already woefully unprepared for the onset of the crisis, the WSJ has now reported that 116 nurses have died. Available PPE is scarce, substandard and in many cases ineffective.

There is reporting today that a Covid 19 victim that died on the streets was left there for more than 30 hours as neither aid personnel nor the police would accept responsibility to move the body.

Bolsonaro has fired two health ministers that disagreed with his attitude towards social distancing and other shutdown protocols.

Shouldn't you be re-upping your "content" praising tweets about "Liberating" one place or another? Or do we need to find those posts of yours to remind you of your words?

Sky, if you are having a conversion experience, I'll celebrate it with you and do some hand-holding. Yeah, Brazil is potentially going to implode. Who ever thought that there would actually be enough ventilators to go round?

It is apocalyptic. It will be so throughout much of Latin America, and much of Africa too. We will never really know how awful the toll, because these places have no effective way to even count the dead, let alone report reliable statistics to the WHO etc.

For now, I honestly don't think that there is anything the rest of the world can do except watch them die. But you think Trump's base provided a big anger-driven revolution. I think that the rich world has no idea how angry the poor world will be.

^given the stupid behavior I’ve seen over this holiday weekend, three weeks from now our wealthy world may be watching a lot ourselves die...
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Where have you been, Sky? George has been saying this was the trajectory for weeks now.
    Yes, but he only got his orders now that Trump decided to make a show of banning travel from Brazil.

Some observers note that as the world looks on in horror at the situation developing in South America, the responses of political leaders there are not without foundation and simply reflect the extent economic reality in these nations.

South American nations do not have the relative wealth, economic diversity nor borrowing power sufficient to allow them to shut their economies down indefinitely, or for any extended period, whatever the death toll may be.

From this "other outcomes" perspective, Bolsonaro's approach is necessary, and is why he's rallying supporters in the way he is. Not only is his political survival at stake, the nation's economic survival is in the balance as well.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I don't think he's left grade 3 yet.
    Oh, he's left grade three. How else could he be president of the most powerful country on earth. He clearly didn't pass grade 3 though.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-