Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: British yacht crew missing in N Atlantic

Default British yacht crew missing in N Atlantic

At the risk of starting another 16-pager, I have just signed a petition (below) asking the USCG to renew their search for the crew of a lost British yacht some 600 miles east of Cape Cod. It may be a long shot, but nowhere near as long as MH370. Although the yacht appears to have lost her keel, which would have initiated a very sudden inversion, it also appears from radio beacon evidence that the crew may be in their life raft. If they were my tax dollars, I would feel a lot happier if the CG gave it a few more days.

Dick

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petition...tstopsearching

Default Re: British yacht crew missing in N Atlantic

How long have they been searching? Is it right that the searchers didn't check the upturned hull?

Rick

It's 1000 miles East of Annapolis (38 degrees). The upturned hull without a kkeel was seen by a containership in rough seas, the hull was completely awash, no chance of air pockets. Two personal EPIRBs were set off, but not the boat one.

They started searching on Thursday, they searched for 52 hours, maximum survival time in 60 degree water is 20 hours.

Their only hope is that they are in a liferaft, but it's likely that if they didn't get the EPIRB, then they didn't get the liferaft.

The container ship looked for the liferaft and people in the water.

Keeping fingers crossed

Two PLBs in tandem or in sequence, I wonder? If in tandem, you would think they probably didn't access the liferaft. How long after the PLBs were activated did the ship spot the hull?

Rick

30 minutes apart, and I don't know about the ship, I think next day.

They had reported the boat was leaking and the speculation is that the keel fell off abruptly, trapping two people inside. It a Beneteau First 40.7 ,, which is a popular racing class with no history of losing keels.

Ediit, they set off PLB's on Thursday night, the ship spotted the hull on Saturday.

Last edited by Hwyl; 05-19-2014 at 08:32 PM.

"... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

That article suggests that a damaged keel may have accounted for the leak but the photo shows the keel intact but the bulb gone. I'd guess that if they'd accessed the raft, they'd have only set off one PLB and then set off the other when that one ran down. Easy to guess from my living room, of course. It does seem highly unlikely that anyone could have survived but 52 hours does seem a brief search to me. I wonder if they might have had survival suits? You would also think that if the boat was already taking on water, they would have at least readied the raft and made sure the EPIRB was at hand.

Rick

Is that the keel or the rudder?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Right, it could be the rudder. Maybe the whole keel did fall off. Horrible.

Rick

Horrible indeed. Remember the same thing happening off the NSW coast a few years back.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Default USCG Resumes Search

Confirmed just now

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I just sailed from Bermuda to Lunenburg.... Got in last night.
    This stuff is chilling.
    Anyway, fwiw,the weather was very mild.ok, edit, I see they were in different weather, 50 knots.
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 05-20-2014 at 03:39 PM.

Interesting that they asked the USCG to search. At what distance from US shores do other countries take over the search?

Very disturbing photo taken from that container ship.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

1200 miles, the UK recently defunded it's long range search and rescue, so there is egg on a few faces

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    Interesting that they asked the USCG to search. At what distance from US shores do other countries take over the search?
    Warning - PDF.

IMO ocean atlas
    I'll just take my chances with those salt water joys.

AR

Boat Designer

Boat Designer

if i understand it correctly, these boats keels can be bolted off and on by anyone, skilled or unskilled,
    if this is so,
    please correct me if it isnt, i am trying to find the facts
    how can these boats then be classed under survey as ocean racers
    and
    they are then painted underwater in a really cool color man
    so cool that it is almost for S A R to see
    instead of orange,yellow or red or something bright and obvious that can be seen

I used to race on a Beneteau First 40.7, similar to the missing boat. It's a great boat for club racing, and with an owner that didn't skimp on sails and rigging we were usually way ahead of the rest of the fleet. However, it is definitely not a boat I'd pick for an Atlantic crossing. The First is a club racer that is also suitable for short distance coastal cruising, but the high aspect keel stalls easily and requires a concentrated crew to sail well. It is excellent close hauled and in the hands of a competent helmsman, but unsuitable for relaxed long-distance cruising IMHO.
    Bundin er bátleysur mağur

Boat Designer

Taking the liberty to post the image you linked to, Peter. In this scale it almost makes the North Atlantic look small.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

The red cross that shows the position of the upturned hull is erroneous. Somehow 1000 miles got converted to 1000 kilometers and then converted to 600 and something miles. Clearly they wouldd have headed NE from Antigua, skirting thre Azores high pressure.

Latest news, the USCG found the hull and searched it, no joy. Keel broke off. The search will be abandoned tonight.

http://news.yahoo.com/coast-guard-hu...200905616.html
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

They found the liferaft still on board.

The resumption of the search was a good thing in that getting a swimmer to the yacht established beyond doubt that the crew were all lost and the families' grief will not be confused by false hope.

Sad day. Makes a case for hydrostatic release system for life raft valise. But who knows what happened.
    My thoughts go out to the families of those lost.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I think it makes the case for more strongly built boats

I crewed on a Benettau 40 that was maybe 7 or 8 years old and had had a relatively easy life mostly in the Med but with a couple of Trans Atlantics under its belt....I was seriously worried about the wear and tear and general deterioration after such a short life.. If it had been for sale I think any surveyor would have condemned it ..... Just not built to last, in my opinion

Why did they lose the keel on this one ? Tony Bullimore, who spent some weeks in an upturned yacht in the south Atlantic, was seen to say that they reported damage some time before the final loss and asked permission to re route to the Açores, then lost it completely... the photos of the upturned hull would make you think the keel board and bulb were glued on as an afterthought....
    When you come to a fork in the road , take it.

Smarter than the average bear, Booboo

marinetraffic.com is covering the red area in Post 23. 29 ships in the red zone at this time, but, of course, not all of them are directly involved in the search. Many of them appear to be passing through the zone as part of their planned voyages.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    They found the liferaft still on board.
    How do you know that? I got the impression from the article I read that they only inspected the boat from the surface; didn't actually dive down. I wonder why they couldn't deploy the liferaft? You'd think they'd have prepared it once they started taking on water. I guess the rolling boat simply trapped the liferaft underneath.

I don't think a hydrostatic release on a liferaft is a good idea. The last thing you'd need would be a liferaft deploying before you actually needed it. But I think if I had one of these boats that could lose a keel, I'd try rigging the liferaft so that it could be detached from the side.

Rick

It's in the report Rick, they just had surface swimmers, but they could see the liferaft http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-27553902

Thhe hydrostatic releases are designed to blow in metres of depth, the boat was floating stern high (as they mostly do), so the raft never released assuminng they had a hydrostatic. It would have been trapped by the cockpit anyway.

That BBC article is interesting, and heartbreaking all at the same time. Awful for family and friends.

I did note that the USCG did not attempt salvage as a matter of policy. Would not the hulk be a hazard to navigation unless sunk?
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

hard to say. Salvage is not the CGs skill. they could sink it . might be legal problems.

as for hydrostatic releases on rafts. most small craft dont use them. most small craft dont keep liferafts on deck. too easy to damage the raft.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    It's in the report Rick, they just had surface swimmers, but they could see the liferaft http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-27553902

Thhe hydrostatic releases are designed to blow in metres of depth, the boat was floating stern high (as they mostly do), so the raft never released assuminng they had a hydrostatic. It would have been trapped by the cockpit anyway.
    Thanks Gareth. The Yahoo News report above seemed to suggest they hadn't found the liferaft. Bad news all round!

Rick

As far as the "surface search" aspect. I do remember that our rescue swimmers were not allowed to dive into or under any boat that was partially sunk. It was considered too dangerous. They were not trained to dive.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".