Page 1 of 18 1211 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Harbour Knockabout Build

Default Dark Harbour Knockabout Build

To set the theme of this thread I'll start out with this picture (not mine) of a boat that is not a Dark Harbour.

That's my goal; to learn to sail in something like this.

I figured the fastest way to get it built was to journal it here because you guys can go from lumber to very impressive boat
    in about 4-5 pages...

so got the Dark Harbour diagrams from WB and got a pile of wood.
    [Cheap, i'm cheap and i'm aiming for cheap and i couldn't bring myself to practice boatbuilding on really nice wood]

qty 50 2x6 16' long (30# each so 1500# of wood which i moved 5 times so far)
    Last edited by Measures Once Cuts Twice; 05-14-2014 at 08:04 AM.

Default Re: Dark Harbour Knockabout Build

Measures Once Cuts Twice - in the posting window, there's a little box next to the icon of a filmstrip (to the left)

Click that and a dialog box comes up.

Click the tab that says "From URL" and make sure the box that says "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" is un-checked.

Paste the URL of the image (from a photo hosting site) in the box and click OK. It should post images for you. Maximum of 5 images per post - that includes "smileys".
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Started with the cart, square things i can do...

I made the two kayaks 17' & 15' behind the wood pile from the Ted Moore KayakCraft books several years ago.

marking the center line
    the frames are 18" apart shrinking the length just enough to fit sideways in the garage.

Thanks! Explorer was giving me fits, luckily I had nothing handy to jab myself in the eye with; swapped over to Chrome and it works!

No problem. Looking forward to seeing progress.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

passed weight test

my helper Bilbo the rescue pug; please don't report us to the SPCA for starvation...

he keeps an eye on me from the kitchen

started with the masts, birdsmouth test piece probably overly thick

full size 16', boom 14' and gaff 10'

this all started in Jan 14

not epoxied yet

just starting to round; finally shaping after assemblying

went faster after some plane blade TLC

Great photos! What is the wood for the mast? I noticed the big box stickers and a lot of knots...
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Decided to do the sails next as it was warmer inside

Straining the noodle on sail design

[Thanks Todd Bradshaw for all the DIY info on sailmaking or I never would have tried this]
    [also thanks to dktyson for his Myst build blog; soooo many ideas stolen!]

the first seam; this will be easy! [*Joking here, note lack of closeups of the seams, i was sober at the time but
    the way they wander back and forth suggests otherwise...)

it keeps getting bigger (& more Pug inspectors checking my design)

nearly done (&Bilbo asleep on the job)
    Last edited by Measures Once Cuts Twice; 05-14-2014 at 06:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    Great photos! What is the wood for the mast? I noticed the big box stickers and a lot of knots...
    Cheap, I'm Cheap!

it's all pine, this is all a proof of concept that
    1)i want to build a boat
    2) will sail said boat
    3) embark on next bigger, several year boat build

so i thought i'd knock together a knockabout, "what could go wrong?" [my mantra; founded the day i had to cut the 16' birdmouths on the table saw sans guards]

cutting the boom /foot curve; i'm going loose footed

sail / mast test fit... just need a hull...

marking out all the forms

mounting on my cart

trying (and trying) to get them aligned

Das Boot! Soon... cut all the planks 5/8" by 1.5" by 16'

my scarfing jig

dry fitting (not epoxied or glued) the planks together; i was not brave enough to do it all in one go

starting to take shape!

What is the construction method for that boat? It looks like such a large expenditure of effort you may as well build it out of good materials because it will be a couple years and many thousands of dollars before you're done.... Kind of a pity to not have a good boat at the end simply due to the very small part of the build where you chose materials.

Don't think of it as a rough draft, think of it as a first boat that will not be perfect but will still be one of the greatest things you've ever built. Nice materials will make it so much more pleasant to build, as well as give you the all important feeling of satisfaction that is necessary to actually finish a boat.

edited: Oh you posted while I was typing. I see its strip built, I figured carvel. Its a lovely hull design. At least make the transom out of something decent....

The wood looks like standard lumberyard hemlock. Is this what the hull will be planked with? If so, I'm assuming that you'll be strip planking the boat with epoxy covered cloth inside and out? Otherwise, it'll rot out within a few years.
    This project is a lot bigger than your kayaks with increased costs, so don't go cheap on too many things or you might regret it. Fittings and lead for the keel will be a pretty penny.
    I though the Dark Harbors had cabins. But, from your plans I see this one doesn't. Another big cost savings there.
    Looking forward to your success.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

steaming each plank; steam cleaner, pvc pipe, stuffed ends with rags
    do a section and slide pipe down plank and steam there while bending & attaching the first section

i'd do one side then release it to bend the sister plank so the bow is much less uneven then it appears; each plank is ~1- 2 inches too long to give room for my many errors

looking boatish

the steam rig is upper left; that's where the plank aims from transom when straight

I suppose others have built boats with similar woods as long as it's heavily coated with epoxy and cloth. If you tell us you're using polyester resin, our heads are gonna explode! With those knots, it might be a little hard to get a fair hull, though.
    What wood are you using for the keel, floors and deadwood? This will have to be serious hardwood to support the lead keel.

my other steamer rig, 8' long, could pile up several planks but didn't seem to really go any faster than the pvc pipe

nearly their; oddly some idiot didn't take a picture of it when it was complete...

neat pattern of dissembled planks

bending the centerboard slot after 6 hours in steam box, resteamed another day for 6 hours more to further bend it

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I suppose others have built boats with similar woods as long as it's heavily coated with epoxy and cloth. If you tell us you're using polyester resin, our heads are gonna explode! With those knots, it might be a little hard to get a fair hull, though.
    What wood are you using for the keel, floors and deadwood? This will have to be serious hardwood to support the lead keel.
    laminated layers of pine; i did do the transom in oak but the rest will be painted

no lead for me; i'm going (further) off plan and making it with a centerboard (sorry B B Crowinshields!)
    i have a pile of ~200# of weights/ old steel for below floor ballast and may use some water ballast tanks if more needed

yes to epoxy & cloth! Counting on the magic of thickened epoxy to hide my many sins.

handsome transom

Caught up to last week

putting it all back together with lots of goopy epoxy (transom not attached in this pic)

missed detail of sail pic, soooo many parts to be finished, not pretty but hopefully functional!

You're a brave man by going off-plan and converting to a centerboard. How did you figure out all the math involved to balance hull, rig and centerboard? I wouldn't know where to begin. I love to fool around with plans and change things here and there, but I don't have the skills for major design changes.

Do you have a background in naval architecture? How do you know that this design is suitable for a centerboard?
    I don't want to rain on your parade but you could be doing a whole lot of work for nothing. You've done the work to get the molds out and a strongback laid up; why waste all that effort using anything less than optimal materials?Lumber yard lumber is not going to make a good boat, it's going to make a crappy boat, a potentially dangerous boat and you're going to spend a lot of time and money doing it.
    Stop now and re-think this project. Do it right and you will have a bat that will last lifetime. Do it wrong and you will have a bat that could cost a life.

Love the pugs. They are truly comic relief (we've got one).
    Are you trying to really push your project ahead? The DH 17 is a truly beautiful design that certainly deserves ones full commitment. There are times to work on the boat, and times to walk away for a bit. I'm a little concerned about the lumber you are using as well.
    Then again you may prove all of us wrong and with epoxy (please DON'T use polyester) and cloth it might just work.

Only you can decide if you are happy with your work. If you are build on!
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

I believe this is supposed to be a DH 12 1/2, not a 17.

P.S. Sorry for the ultra-lame first post...

You're a brave man by going off-plan and converting to a centerboard. How did you figure out all the math involved to balance hull, rig and centerboard? I wouldn't know where to begin. I love to fool around with plans and change things here and there, but I don't have the skills for major design changes.
    Google fails me at the moment but it's been done already; safe harbour or dark haven or something similar is a dark harbour with centerboard.

I'm just making a large centerboard slot / trunk and will play with cb size / position later.

Quote Originally Posted by EFHeath View Post
    I believe this is supposed to be a DH 12 1/2, not a 17.
    and I've shrunk it a bit to about a DH10.5

[And I'm honored you chose to put your first post here!]

Thanks for everyone's input. Yes, i'm not making a yacht and i doubt this boat will be featured in a year 2090 issue of WB being lovingly refurbished.
    Just trying to make a small trailerable daysailer with a classic look. I promise not to head to Bermuda in it.

Someone asked re keel / stem plans; here's a stem pic

5 laminated 1/2" by 2" layers

here's after today's epoxy party, 2-3 planks a day, (30 total)

and put away for the night; just enough room to pull the cars in.

Parking your cars in the garage??? What a bizarre concept!

Love you blokes that just in and bloody do it

The Selway-Fisher Safe Harbor is a strip-built boat inspired by the DH 12 1/2, with a fin keel and separate rudder. The Calm Harbor is a variation on that with keel-centerboard modification.

Quote Originally Posted by Measures Once Cuts Twice View Post
    and I've shrunk it a bit to about a DH10.5

[And I'm honored you chose to put your first post here!]
    Picking a Woodenboat magazine off a newstand and looking at a picture of a DH 17 is what got me thinking about sailboats at all. Before that I was strictly interested in canoes and kayaks.

Building a classic knockabout is a growing obsession I've Harbored for quite a few years now. Given the waters I'd be sailing, (South China Sea), my dream has morphed into something more like the Winter Harbor 21,... ha. As if.

Parking your cars in the garage??? What a bizarre concept!
    That was really the only requirement to using the garage, that my spouse would have a spot to park in it every night.

Also v. nice H13 build; i have a very limited 'artist' gene myself, but i can still appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by EFHeath View Post
    The Selway-Fisher Safe Harbor is a strip-built boat inspired by the DH 12 1/2, with a fin keel and separate rudder. The Calm Harbor is a variation on that with keel-centerboard modification.
    [pic downloaded!]

Thanks! that's the guy. It has a much different rig but as a starting point.
    WB had a Crowinshield article and the number of boats he drew with such variation; gives me hope that i can't go too far wrong by staying within his design limits.
    Also the picture i posted in #1 of my goal boat is also a centerboarder so i knew it's possible.

calm harbour use 600# ballast so i'll be scrounging some more steel or fifty gallons of water [;mind wanders with idea for self filling & self emptying tank(empties when pulled out on trailer) under floor, which would also empty if turtles!))

Quote Originally Posted by andrewpatrol View Post
    Love you blokes that just in and bloody do it
    As long as it ends better than my last project...

a remote turbo (450HP whee!)

which I detonated at 140mph down the back stretch of Sebring raceway...

"what could go wrong" [How do i add this to my signature...]
    Last edited by Measures Once Cuts Twice; 05-14-2014 at 08:06 AM.

Turbo for what? Hard to tell from the picture,though the new access port to the crank looks......rough.

Adam