Quote Originally Posted by bogdog View Post
    Aren't most veterans right-wing nuts?

US.
    Seriously?
    Some are, some are not.
    To say "most" is a bit of a stretch.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Default Re: The real war on women

Men are the ones 'waging war' on women. The simple fact that women have to be careful around men, and that effects us all whether we are a threat or not, makes the basic truth of this obvious. Sometimes it's about sex, but mostly it's about power I think.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    The problem is not what party dominates the politics. The problem is insufficient funds.

Remind me which party always wants to cut taxes?
    They seem not to realize it costs money to run government effectively.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    They seem not to realize it costs money to run government effectively.
    of course they do, it's the effectively part they don't want

Not the "real" war, just another front in the war on women. And yes, there are liberals and conservatives guilty on this front.

Gene
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” Isaac Asimov.

Quote Originally Posted by changeng View Post
    I'm pretty disgusted.

at the information in the links?

No.
    That someone would be as puerile as to use statistics, not in a genuine way to highlight the undoubted covering up of sexual assault and rapes that happen on Campus, but to somehow use this as ammunition in the left V right squabble.

I am disgusted that they would use those statistics purely as a ill informed attack on their political opponants.
    I dont think the OP gives a flying f**k about assaults on women.

If there were more women on this forum, perhaps the OP might think twice about posting such disingenuous crap.
    It certainly appears that way.

Gene
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” Isaac Asimov.

Politicizing something as bad as rape is reprehensible - it's not Reps or Dems who do it - it's men. Blaming it on the people who run the schools is scapegoating (though any who sweep it under the rug should be replaced). The reality is that the US as a whole is still male dominated & there are simply too many men who think they are "entitled". Yes, there are some young women who put themselves in precarious situations (mostly through alcohol) - but in a better world, someone would simply take them home (to their own room by themselves I mean!) or get them to a place of safety.

I have stepped in on 2 situations that (to me) had crossed a line. Both times the woman was so out of it, she didn't realize/care what was happening. I don't consider myself special for having done so - I know many men who have - but what we need is for all men to do that. It ain't rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    I know I'm a peculiar thinker on these forums, but I'd like someone to explain to me why the GOP fails to support equal pay for equal work.

I'd like to know why they failed to support legislation aimed at protecting women from domestic violence.

Why they believe poor women should be denied contraception, cancer exams (and other health related exams), or abortions, so we can create more poor children who will need the food stamps the they also wish to deny them. What is the point of having more hungry children?

Minimum wage impacts more women than men. What does the GOP have against paying people enough so they don't qualify for food stamps?

Even voter ID laws discriminate against women. If a married woman takes her husbands name, which is the norm, she'll have to produce a marriage certificate to get this ID. That's a hurdle only women will have to overcome.
    More worshipers to glorify god. Remember the instruction to be fruitful and multiply? The rest of it is about votes.

Gene

If all men and women that abhor this kind of behavior promote zero tolerance instead of remaining silent, passively turning away or just ignoring the apes. Then things will change. May take a generation.

I was listening to a discussion about this on the radio last week. A woman said she was on a bus talking to her mom on her mobile.. a guy next to her started feeling her leg. She thought..what do I do? so she announced in everyones hearing.. Hey MOM some creep's groping me! she said everyone just looked out of the window..she felt stupid and the jerk just smirked and got off the bus.

Awful.
    Reading this made my skin crawl. Engagement, we need more engagement with the people around us every day.

I'm pretty disgusted.

at the information in the links?

No.
    That someone would be as puerile as to use statistics, not in a genuine way to highlight the undoubted covering up of sexual assault and rapes that happen on Campus, but to somehow use this as ammunition in the left V right squabble.

I am disgusted that they would use those statistics purely as a ill informed attack on their political opponants.
    I dont think the OP gives a flying f**k about assaults on women.

If there were more women on this forum, perhaps the OP might think twice about posting such disingenuous crap.
    It's much more than ammunition, it's a diversion. Hey! Look over here! Universities are raping women because universities are liberal!

The people who say this are making war on women and this is part of that war. They are also lying.

This isn't just politics, it's war, and all's fair, in the minds of the people who started it. They are indeed shameless and vicious liars but that isn't the half of it.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

Quote Originally Posted by genglandoh View Post
    It seems that liberals who run universities are really the one with a war on women.

Two issues
    1. Why are universities are treating women so poorly?
    2. Why did the Government not publish the list before?

55 colleges under investigation over handling of sexual violence complaints
    Federal investigators are checking whether 55 colleges and universities illegally handled sexual violence and harassment complaints, the U.S. Department of Education said Thursday.
    Such investigations have long been known, but this is the first time that the department has released a list of all probes currently under way.
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/01/us/col...html?hpt=hp_t1

Here is the list
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/images/05/01/sex_assault.pdf

CNN, well libs cannot dispute this source

Hmm, I didn't realize that universities made laws regarding women's health care or laws regarding the treatment of women in the military or laws.........well, you get the idea.
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

Planned Parenthood another liberal organization is not reporting children who are raped.
    Just another example of liberal’s war on women.

PCSO Report: Witness alleges Planned Parenthood didn't report assault
    If Planned Parenthood workers had reported the alleged assault in December, it could have jump-started a sheriff's investigation into 18-year-old Tyler Kost months before the Poston Butte High School student is alleged to have assaulted other teens at the school, court documents say.
    Reporting such assaults is required for Planned Parenthood, and a sheriff's spokesman said investigators had shared the alleged failure to report with Planned Parenthood administrators and Arizona Department of Health Services officials.
    http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...sault/8837543/

I see - so one bad apple (& the person who didn't report this was absolutely wrong) makes the whole organization bad?

That's not painting with a broad brush, that's getting out a paint sprayer.

The headline is designed to inflame & you bought it hook line & sinker. A more accurate headline would've been "Planned Parenthood Counselor didn't report assault" - but you knew that didn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I see - so one bad apple (& the person who didn't report this was absolutely wrong) makes the whole organization bad?

The headline is designed to inflame & you bought it hook line & sinker. A more accurate headline would've been "Planned Parenthood Counselor didn't report assault" - but you knew that didn't you?
    Are you calling for an investigation if so I agree.
    We need to know how deep this goes.

i nominate o'keefe

I'm glad that you make the distinction between belief and thought.

I am surprised you question my intentions.
    I have been posting for years and I have only posted what I really believe.

Of this one person & her immediate superiors, yes. Or do you want another ACORN where the lies took down a wonderful organization because of a few bad apples?

Never mind, I'm sure you do. Why bother with the truth when lies are so much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by wardd View Post
    i nominate o'keefe
    georgia?

Planned Parenthood another liberal organization is not reporting children who are raped.
    Just another example of liberal’s war on women.

PCSO Report: Witness alleges Planned Parenthood didn't report assault
    If Planned Parenthood workers had reported the alleged assault in December, it could have jump-started a sheriff's investigation into 18-year-old Tyler Kost months before the Poston Butte High School student is alleged to have assaulted other teens at the school, court documents say.
    Reporting such assaults is required for Planned Parenthood, and a sheriff's spokesman said investigators had shared the alleged failure to report with Planned Parenthood administrators and Arizona Department of Health Services officials.
    http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...sault/8837543/

You really have no idea how disrespectful to women this politicizing of these issues is..Do You?

I'll spell it out

A. You make a false assertion that Planned Parenthood is a liberal organization. This is not only insulting to conservative women, it's insulting to conservative men as well.

B. It demonstrates that you are not actually at all concerned about the actual subject of the issue.

C. such hijacking of a serious issue for political gameplaying distracts attention from the real issue thus pushing the subject to the background as of less importance than your agenda.

I could go on but i'll let you have a think about it.

You really have no idea how disrespectful to women this politicizing of these issues is..Do You?

I'll spell it out

A. You make a false assertion that Planned Parenthood is a liberal organization. This is not only insulting to conservative women, it's insulting to conservative men as well.

B. It demonstrates that you are not actually at all concerned about the actual subject of the issue.

C. such hijacking of a serious issue for political gameplaying distracts attention from the real issue thus pushing the subject to the background as of less importance than your agenda.

I could go on but i'll let you have a think about it.
    Just this! The whole f'n right wing should be ashamed of their misogynistic world view. Get a clue, the women (and the men who love them) aren't going to put up with this stuff much longer. I've got two daughters and two sons, none of them live in the "man's world" of the RW fantasies and three of them are now old enough to vote. They're not all liberal, but they are all of the attitude that men and women should be treated with equal respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post

This seems to be happening all across the country.

Planned Parenthood Obstructed Child Rape Investigation, Admitted Breaking the Law
    A couple of months ago there was news coverage of a story from Bellingham, Washington, in which the local Planned Parenthood abortion mill was accused of covering up the rape of an 10 year old Hispanic girl.
    http://www.lifenews.com/2013/11/06/p...aking-the-law/

Planned Parenthood of Los Angeles Fails to Report Child Sexual Abuse Case, Violating State Law
    http://www.liveaction.org/monalisa/p...-abuse-report/

Ohio Court Rules Planned Parenthood Violated State Law
    An Ohio judge has ruled that a Planned Parenthood clinic violated state law in a case involving a 14 year old girl impregnated by her 22 year old soccer coach. Ohio state law requires a doctor to meet with a woman seeking an abortion at least 24 hours before actually performing the procedure to discuss abortion alternatives. Not only did Planned Parenthood of Southwest Ohio break this requirement, it also failed to report the occurrence of statutory rape as required by law.
    http://www.sba-list.org/suzy-b-blog/...ated-state-law

Denver lawsuit accuses abortion clinic of not reporting rape of 13-year-old
    A Denver Planned Parenthood office and four unidentified employees are being sued for failing to recognize child sexual abuse when they gave a 13-year-old girl an abortion and birth control.
    www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jul/11/denver-lawsuit-accuses-abortion-clinic-not-reporti/#ixzz3AascCgwa

This seems to be happening all across the country.

Planned Parenthood Obstructed Child Rape Investigation, Admitted Breaking the Law
    A couple of months ago there was news coverage of a story from Bellingham, Washington, in which the local Planned Parenthood abortion mill was accused of covering up the rape of an 10 year old Hispanic girl.
    http://www.lifenews.com/2013/11/06/p...aking-the-law/

Planned Parenthood of Los Angeles Fails to Report Child Sexual Abuse Case, Violating State Law
    http://www.liveaction.org/monalisa/p...-abuse-report/

Ohio Court Rules Planned Parenthood Violated State Law
    An Ohio judge has ruled that a Planned Parenthood clinic violated state law in a case involving a 14 year old girl impregnated by her 22 year old soccer coach. Ohio state law requires a doctor to meet with a woman seeking an abortion at least 24 hours before actually performing the procedure to discuss abortion alternatives. Not only did Planned Parenthood of Southwest Ohio break this requirement, it also failed to report the occurrence of statutory rape as required by law.
    http://www.sba-list.org/suzy-b-blog/...ated-state-law

Denver lawsuit accuses abortion clinic of not reporting rape of 13-year-old
    A Denver Planned Parenthood office and four unidentified employees are being sued for failing to recognize child sexual abuse when they gave a 13-year-old girl an abortion and birth control.
    www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jul/11/denver-lawsuit-accuses-abortion-clinic-not-reporti/#ixzz3AascCgwa
    no bias in this post

1 in 5 women are assaulted in college. I suppose the assults are mainly by men.

A lot of men here went to college.

It seems reasonable to believe some of the men here knew about assaults on women.

It then seems reasonable to believe that those men remained silent.

Something about "for evil to prevail."

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    1 in 5 women are assaulted in college. I suppose the assults are mainly by men.

A lot of men here went to college.

It seems reasonable to believe some of the men here knew about assaults on women.

It then seems reasonable to believe that those men remained silent.

Something about "for evil to prevail."
    Everyone here has been in a bank.

Does that mean we all know bank robbers?!?

Quote Originally Posted by ljb5 View Post
    Everyone here has been in a bank.

Does that mean we all know bank robbers?!?
    There is a large difference between "some" ( my word) and "all" (your word).

There is a large difference between "some" ( my word) and "all" (your word).
    Your error has nothing to do with "some" or "all."

Your problem has to do with confounding proximity with knowledge or responsibility.

In all likelihood, you have met a woman who has been assaulted. In all likelihood, you have been in a room with the man who assaulted her.

But did you know?

The right wishes to make rape reporting laws into a weapon to use against abortion providers and women getting abortions.

Abortion providers wish to protect confidentiality of patients and protect themselves.

Not a liberal war on women.

Not a game.

Right wing war on women.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey

Who is waging the real war? Hmmmm... Part of the republican platform is to deny women certain health care options. On the other hand some, perhaps many institutions of higher education are trying to cover up a big problem with sexual assaults on women for unspecified reasons that probably have to do with ignorance of the scope and nature of the problem as well as the wish to avoid bad press.

One is a wilful attack on women while the other is a lack of caring about attacks on women. See if you can figure out which is which.

Just to be clear, both are bad for women in particular and society in general, but only one has the added feature of BEING A DANGED WAR ON WOMEN!

Gene

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    The right wishes to make rape reporting laws into a weapon to use against abortion providers and women getting abortions.

Abortion providers wish to protect confidentiality of patients and protect themselves.

Not a liberal war on women.

Not a game.

Right wing war on women.

Right you are!

A vicious, cynical, dishonest war on women.

Quote Originally Posted by ljb5 View Post
    Your error has nothing to do with "some" or "all."

Your problem has to do with confounding proximity with knowledge or responsibility.
    I am simply saying some here have ignored or tolerated these assaults. You seem to be saying no one here has.

I am not judging their actions.

Interesting

Not wanting the US Government to pay for $9 per a month for birth control is considered a war on women
    Having liberal organizations ignore and lie about rape is not considered a war of women.

I think some need to get their priorities in order.

Interesting

Not wanting the US Government to pay for $9 per a month for birth control is considered a war on women
    Having liberal organizations ignore and lie about rape is not considered a war of women.

I think some need to get their priorities in order.
    Yes, but republicans never will. (it's about forcing women to have children that they don't want)

Gene

I am simply saying some here have ignored or tolerated these assaults.
    That is asinine and offensive. You have no cause to make that claim.

Just because I have been in a room with a woman does not mean I am familiar with her sexual history.

I spent years in college. I am aware that it is likely that some of the women I know were assaulted, but I have no idea who, when, where, or by whom.

I never ignored or tolerated any assault.