Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The real war on women

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Default Re: The real war on women

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I went to graduate school at William & Mary. It's very sad to see them on the list.

It's probably just a prejudice of mine, but the fraternity culture is very strong there. I tend to associate the two.
    didn't go there except to give a lecture I' sorry it's on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    That's almost half of the congress (total, 535). Referring to somewhere else?
    No, referring to the history of the US Congress.

What are you doing about it?

Beyond the cover up, the 1 in 5 statistic is obscene. My question is whether this continues in "adult" life, or is a function of the college culture that includes too much alcohol and too few consequences.
    Do you really need to ask that?
    http://www.guide2womenleaders.com/Female_Leaders.htm

https://www.rainn.org/statistics

Nearly 1 in 5 Women in U.S. Survey Say They Have Been Sexually Assaulted

An exhaustive government survey of rape and domestic violence released on Wednesday affirmed that sexual violence against women remains endemic in the United States and in some instances may be far more common than previously thought.

Nearly one in five women surveyed said they had been raped or had experienced an attempted rape at some point, and one in four reported having been beaten by an intimate partner. One in six women have been stalked, according to the report.
    Last edited by changeng; 05-02-2014 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by changeng View Post
    Yes. I have not heard such a statistic for the general public.

I went to graduate school at William & Mary. It's very sad to see them on the list.

It's probably just a prejudice of mine, but the fraternity culture is very strong there. I tend to associate the two.
    I have a number of friends who taught there. They do have a strong greek culture which seems, now, to have zero tolerance for some of the old greek habits, still they suspend or eliminate some every few years. If I remember correctly some of the more serious assaults have been caused by individuals outside of the college community.

I think it's a legitimate question as to whether the same rate of sexual violence continues after college, or whether the college culture is an outlier in this respect.

You may know the answer, but I think you may find it counterproductive to the goal of broad understanding if you mock and belittle those of us who do NOT know.
    Rattling the teacups.

Nice idea but....Good way to turn rape into murder.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    I think it's a legitimate question as to whether the same rate of sexual violence continues after college, or whether the college culture is an outlier in this respect.

You may know the answer, but I think you may find it counterproductive to the goal of broad understanding if you mock and belittle those of us who do NOT know.
    No mocking or belittling intended. read the links

women are more exposed in their younger years at University. The risk is greater due to lifestyle.
    I have no evidence but assume the behaviour of the perps is only modified in later years by circumstances. Put 10 of these same guys in the same room as a stripper at a bucks night 10 years on... ? Or at a team party after a win?
    Last edited by changeng; 05-02-2014 at 09:27 AM.

Acknowledging that 1 in 5 women are sexually assaulted in college is bad for business.
    That's a staggering number. Hell, it would be a staggering number if it were exaggerated by an order of magnitude.

the fraternity culture is very strong there. I tend to associate the two.
    I can see how there could be a connection.

My question is whether this (...) is a function of the college culture that includes too much alcohol and too few consequences.
    I'd say so.

Quote Originally Posted by ljb5 View Post
    there is a massive 'hookup culture' at just about every school in the nation
    (...)
    In the US, there appears to be two major places where young people of this age live together: colleges and the military. Both of them have a huge problem with sex assault.
    I was about to start a paragraph with "It would be interesting...", and it occurred to me that by virtue of my privileged birth, I can perhaps detach myself from this despicable phenomenon in a way that those less privileged cannot. Rather let me say that it is incumbent upon us to find out how this rape culture fits into the broader cultural picture, and what we can do about it. In my circles, men are immediately and permanently repudiated by their peers for any violence against women, but I'm aware that's not a global standard. Would that we could make it so.

No mocking or belittling intended. read the links
    Thanks.

I hope you will henceforth include 'the links' on your first posting. Very, very few of us re-read a thread for edits.
    Rattling the teacups.

Thanks.

I hope you will henceforth include 'the links' on your first posting. Very, very few of us re-read a thread for edits.
    sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    That's a staggering number. Hell, it would be a staggering number if it were exaggerated by an order of magnitude.

I can see how there could be a connection.

I'd say so.

I was about to start a paragraph with "It would be interesting...", and it occurred to me that by virtue of my privileged birth, I can perhaps detach myself from this despicable phenomenon in a way that those less privileged cannot. Rather let me say that it is incumbent upon us to find out how this rape culture fits into the broader cultural picture, and what we can do about it. In my circles, men are immediately and permanently repudiated by their peers for any violence against women, but I'm aware that's not a global standard. Would that we could make it so.
    You can. zero tolerance. that means at work, at play, in the home, in the Mall in your purchasing power, with your peers.

sorry.
    Not at all!
    Rattling the teacups.

You can. zero tolerance. that means at work, at play, in the home, in the Mall in your purchasing power, with your peers.
    Oh, for myself and those around me, I agree. I just don't know how to change the conditioning that appears to have taken hold of a great many men.

... it is incumbent upon us to find out how this rape culture fits into the broader cultural picture, ...
    Does anyone have a clear sense of what definition was used in this action? If 1 in 5 women are raped on college campuses, there is a war against women that is a call to action. If 1 in 5 gets groped by a drunken student, then it's a different matter (not good, but not the same). I really don't know how bad the problem is.

Sorry. I just went back to post #48. It is worse than I feared. 1 in 4 get beaten by their "intimate partner". That's sick!

Oh, for myself and those around me, I agree. I just don't know how to change the conditioning that appears to have taken hold of a great many men.
    If all men and women that abhor this kind of behavior promote zero tolerance instead of remaining silent, passively turning away or just ignoring the apes. Then things will change. May take a generation.

I was listening to a discussion about this on the radio last week. A woman said she was on a bus talking to her mom on her mobile.. a guy next to her started feeling her leg. She thought..what do I do? so she announced in everyones hearing.. Hey MOM some creep's groping me! she said everyone just looked out of the window..she felt stupid and the jerk just smirked and got off the bus.

Awful.
    Last edited by changeng; 05-02-2014 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    This thread gets MY vote for the worst imaginable aim of any thread... talk about firing the shot and then lookin' for the bullet in the weeds!
    His typical MO - fart loudly then bolt out of the elevator.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

If all men and women that abhor this kind of behavior promote zero tolerance instead of remaining silent, passively turning away or just ignoring the apes. Then things will change. May take a generation.

I was listening to a discussion about this on the radio last week. A woman said she was on a bus talking to her mom on her mobile.. a guy next to her started feeling her leg. She thought..what do I do? so she announced in everyones hearing.. Hey MOM some creep's groping me! she said everyone just looked out of the window..she felt stupid and the jerk just smirked and got off the bus.

Awful.
    Haven't you heard, "NICE" girls are always sweet and polite, especially to men, and they NEVER question authority.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Awful.
    ANYONE on the bus - dial 911 and announce loudly, "Yes 911, I need to report a sexual assault in progress. I'm on the northbound Central Ave bus. We just crossed Main St. [pause] Ok, right, you say, 'The police will intercept the bus just ahead at 2nd St and Central Ave.' Thank you. Yes, he's still on the bus. Yes, I'll stay on the line until the police are on the scene."
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

I'm pretty disgusted.

at the information in the links?

No.
    That someone would be as puerile as to use statistics, not in a genuine way to highlight the undoubted covering up of sexual assault and rapes that happen on Campus, but to somehow use this as ammunition in the left V right squabble.

I am disgusted that they would use those statistics purely as a ill informed attack on their political opponants.
    I dont think the OP gives a flying f**k about assaults on women.

If there were more women on this forum, perhaps the OP might think twice about posting such disingenuous crap.
    I am pretty disgusted also.
    Liberals say they support women rights but their actions do not.

Liberals will create a false war on women against conservatives because conservatives do not want the government to pay for birth control.
    But when a real issue like rape is happening on liberal college campus what is the reaction of these liberals.
    Keep is quite and do not give the victims the support they need.
    I do not understand why liberals think they are allowed to mistreat women.

What is the motivation of these liberals
    1. Getting votes by attacking conservatives
    2. Keep enrollment up (more money) by keeping the rapes on campus quite.

Disgusting.

Seriously, do you really believe all that or are you really fishing here?
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

Quote Originally Posted by genglandoh View Post
    I am pretty disgusted also.
    Liberals say they support women rights but their actions do not.

Liberals will create a false war on women against conservatives because conservatives do not want the government to pay for birth control.
    But when a real issue like rape is happening on liberal college campus what is the reaction of these liberals.
    Keep is quite and do not give the victims the support they need.
    I do not understand why liberals think they are allowed to mistreat women.

What is the motivation of these liberals
    1. Getting votes by attacking conservatives
    2. Keep enrollment up (more money) by keeping the rapes on campus quite.

Disgusting.
    Politicizing this issue is what makes you a disgusting [redacted].

Your irrational hatred of O'Bama is disgusting.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmanuals View Post
    Seriously, do you really believe all that or are you really fishing here?
    I am surprised you question my intentions.
    I have been posting for years and I have only posted what I really believe.

I am surprised you question my intentions.
    I have been posting for years and I have only posted what I really believe.
    I can't tell any more when you are trolling or actually believe what you are posting. Your'e getting good.
    Tom

I can't tell any more when you are trolling or actually believe what you are posting. Your'e getting good.
    I find it interesting that when I post a thread with my opinion that is different for most on this forum it is called trolling.

Just for the record I do not troll.

Just for the record I do not troll.
    Your post inflammatory questions to provoke an emotional response. That's trolling, whether you like it or not.

Rape is a very serious crime. Crimes should be handled by law enforcement. Schools should do what they can to discourage crime, and a major thing they could do is encourage victims to report these attacks to police. I sure don't want the investigation and prosecution of crime (of any sort) to be handled by school administrators, who are likely to wish to protect the reps of their schools.
    Well, Mr. Botard, do you still deny all rhinocerotic evidence?

Quote Originally Posted by PhaseLockedLoop View Post
    Rape is a very serious crime. Crimes should be handled by law enforcement. Schools should do what they can to discourage crime, and a major thing they could do is encourage victims to report these attacks to police. I sure don't want the investigation and prosecution of crime (of any sort) to be handled by school administrators, who are likely to wish to protect the reps of their schools.
    Exactly!

Why are these cases being 'handled' by the schools?

ARE they being handled by the schools?
    Rattling the teacups.

What is glenglandoh's argument here? I would ask him if I thought he would answer.

That American liberals are making war on women is shown by . . .
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

Quote Originally Posted by ljb5 View Post
    His argument is that anything related to a college or university is, by definition "liberal."

That fact that the military also struggles to deal with these problems has apparently never entered his mind.... but if it did, surely he would immediately realize that his argument is baseless.
    No, he would not.

He would immediately figure out a way to think that it is all the liberals fault... I got it!

It is all due to the end of 'don't ask, don't tell!'

Never mind the FACT that these problems were rampant in the armed services BEFORE. That would screw up the theory, and we can't let facts get in the way, can we?
    Rattling the teacups.

...He would immediately figure out a way to think that it is all the liberals fault... I got it!...
    Is that realistic?

Well it seems that Democratic run cities also have a war on women.
    These cities are not taking women being raped seriously.
    They get the DNA evidence from the victims so they think the police are doing their jobs.
    But then just put the evidence into a warehouse and do not get it tested.
    In Detroit has more than 11,000 unprocessed rape kits.
    Cleveland has 4,000 unprocessed rape kits.

No Longer Ignored, Evidence Solves Rape Cases Years Later
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/03/us...ts.html?ref=us

The problem is not what party dominates the politics. The problem is insufficient funds.

Remind me which party always wants to cut taxes?

Well it seems that Democratic run cities also have a war on women.
    These cities are not taking women being raped seriously.
    They get the DNA evidence from the victims so they think the police are doing their jobs.
    But then just put the evidence into a warehouse and do not get it tested.
    In Detroit has more than 11,000 unprocessed rape kits.
    Cleveland has 4,000 unprocessed rape kits.

No Longer Ignored, Evidence Solves Rape Cases Years Later
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/03/us...ts.html?ref=us
    So this is happening in all democratic run cities and no republican run cities?
    Tom

So this is happening in all democratic run cities and no republican run cities?
    Republicans commit only "legitimate" rape. Isn't that a Second Amendment right? Or is it God-given?