Page 1 of 7 12 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 35 of 223

Thread: The real war on women

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio USA
    Posts
    9,323

    Default The real war on women

    It seems that liberals who run universities are really the one with a war on women.

    Two issues
    1. Why are universities are treating women so poorly?
    2. Why did the Government not publish the list before?

    55 colleges under investigation over handling of sexual violence complaints
    Federal investigators are checking whether 55 colleges and universities illegally handled sexual violence and harassment complaints, the U.S. Department of Education said Thursday.
    Such investigations have long been known, but this is the first time that the department has released a list of all probes currently under way.
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/01/us/col...html?hpt=hp_t1

    Here is the list
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/images/05/01/sex_assault.pdf

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    GSBLINY
    Posts
    10,094

    Default Re: The real war on women

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Are these cases of legitimate rape?
    "Legitimate rape."

    There's an interesting concept.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    46,916

    Default Re: The real war on women

    Quote Originally Posted by Donn View Post
    "Legitimate rape."

    There's an interesting concept.
    Isn't it?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    46,916

    Default Re: The real war on women

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Longino View Post
    Oh boy, Donn is stalking Chip!
    It's all down hill from here.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,353

    Default Re: The real war on women

    Quote Originally Posted by genglandoh View Post
    It seems that liberals who run universities are really the one with a war on women.
    What liberals who run universities? Your talking about Harvard, Dartmouth, and a bunch of some of the most conservative administration in the country.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Central MA
    Posts
    7,284

    Default Re: The real war on women

    Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    What liberals who run universities? Your talking about Harvard, Dartmouth, and a bunch of some of the most conservative administration in the country.

    For conservatives, if it's not an overtly Christian or Mormon university, it is, by definition a bastion of liberal, socialist elites bent on corrupting the minds of our youth with leftist propaganda.

    Even Harvard.

    and btw, what these schools have handled sexual assaults is reprehensible and they deserve to be slapped really hard.
    I rather be an American than a Republican.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    46,916

    Default Re: The real war on women

    Oklahoma State!

    Hey Geng, are you feeling that your political identity is vulnerable wrt women's issues? It is!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg MB
    Posts
    17,393

    Default Re: The real war on women

    It seems unlikely to me that it is the people who run the universities who are doing the raping.

    What are you doing about it?




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Hyannis, MA, USA
    Posts
    45,523

    Default Re: The real war on women

    Here's the whole list. It's utterly dispicable and predictably false to politicize this initiative of the DoE as a liberals' war on women.

    Arizona State University
    Butte-Glen Community College (CA)
    Occidental College (CA)
    University of California-Berkeley
    University of Southern California
    Regis University (CO)
    University of Colorado at Boulder
    University of Colorado at Denver
    University of Denver
    University of Connecticut
    Catholic University of America (DC)
    Florida State University
    Emory Universtiy (GA)
    University of Hawaii at Manoa
    University of Idaho
    Knox College (IL)
    University of Chicago
    Indiana University- Bloomington
    Vincennes University (IN)
    Amherst College (MA)
    Boston University
    Emerson College (MA)
    Harvard College (MA)
    Harvard University- Law School
    University of Massachusetts-Amherst
    Frostberg State University (MD)
    Michigan State University
    University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
    Guilford College (NC)
    University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
    Minot State University (ND)
    Dartmouth College (NH)
    Princeton University (NJ)
    CUNY Hunter College (NY)
    Hobart and William Smith Colleges (NY)
    Sarah Lawrence College (NY)
    SUNY Binghamton (NY)
    Denison University (OH)
    Ohio State University
    Wittenberg University (OH)
    Oklahoma State University
    Carngie Mellon University (PA)
    Franklin and Marshall College (PA)
    Pennsylvania State University
    Swarthmore College (PA)
    Temple University (PA)
    Vanderbilt University (TN)
    Southern Methodist University (TX)
    The University of Texas-Pan American
    College of William and Mary (VA)
    University of Virginia
    Washington State University
    University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
    Bethany College (WV)
    West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,353

    Default Re: The real war on women

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianY View Post
    and btw, what these schools have handled sexual assaults is reprehensible and they deserve to be slapped really hard.
    I certainly agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    It seems unlikely to me that it is the people who run the universities who are doing the raping.
    They do the covering up. This entire story is about the way it is handled, not the fact that it happens.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,353

    Default Re: The real war on women

    They know what's best for us all.

    Well, in truth, they know what is best for a small number of themselves and convince a large number of gullible people that it's best for them, too.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    GSBLINY
    Posts
    10,094

    Default Re: The real war on women

    Quote Originally Posted by ljb5 View Post
    This is about the hundredth attempt by Republican men to tell us what the "real" war on women is.

    They don't even allow women to tell us what the war on women is.
    Google up Marisa DeFranco, and tell us about the "war on women."

    Check out Nigeria for a real war on women...or little girls.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    40,997

    Default Re: The real war on women

    Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    What liberals who run universities? Your talking about Harvard, Dartmouth, and a bunch of some of the most conservative administration in the country.
    It seems from this forun that if you are educated you are liberal, of you value ignorance you are not. So - University - seat of learning - liberal. Got it now?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg MB
    Posts
    17,393

    Default Re: The real war on women

    Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    They do the covering up. This entire story is about the way it is handled, not the fact that it happens.
    That may be; I'm not too familiar with US universities. Covering up rape is despicable, certainly.

    What are you doing about it?




  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    5,104

    Default Re: The real war on women

    Quote Originally Posted by Donn View Post
    Google up Marisa DeFranco, and tell us about the "war on women."

    Check out Nigeria for a real war on women...or little girls.
    I believe she was barred from attending a dinner with other male political candidates at a veterans organization because she is a woman. Aren't most veterans right-wing nuts?

    The Nigerian Islamists are essentially doing through violence what Christian fundamentalist patriarchal groups attempt to do legislatively in the US.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    5,104

    Default Re: The real war on women

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    That may be; I'm not too familiar with US universities. Covering up rape is despicable, certainly.
    William and Mary who in on the list is one of our local schools. Another local school Old Dominion University has had an unfortunate number of fatal and serious student assaults in the last few years. I think one common problem in both cases is the speed(lack thereof) in which the school administrations let student know there has been an assault on fellow students.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,923

    Default Re: The real war on women

    I'm pretty disgusted.

    at the information in the links?

    No.
    That someone would be as puerile as to use statistics, not in a genuine way to highlight the undoubted covering up of sexual assault and rapes that happen on Campus, but to somehow use this as ammunition in the left V right squabble.

    I am disgusted that they would use those statistics purely as a ill informed attack on their political opponants.
    I dont think the OP gives a flying f**k about assaults on women.

    If there were more women on this forum, perhaps the OP might think twice about posting such disingenuous crap.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,252

    Default Re: The real war on women

    Quote Originally Posted by changeng View Post
    I'm pretty disgusted.

    at the information in the links?

    No.
    That someone would be as puerile as to use statistics, not in a genuine way to highlight the undoubted covering up of sexual assault and rapes that happen on Campus, but to somehow use this as ammunition in the left V right squabble.

    I am disgusted that they would use those statistics purely as a ill informed attack on their political opponants.
    I dont think the OP gives a flying f**k about assaults on women.

    If there were more women on this forum, perhaps the OP might think twice about posting such disingenuous crap.
    I don't think the OP is smart enough to know how ugly this thread is.
    Rattling the teacups.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,923

    Default Re: The real war on women

    Sexual assault and violence, and prejudice, discrimination, diminunitization against women occurs in every area of life. In School, universities, companies, government... everywhere including this forum.
    If the OP really cares.. pull your head out and stop politicizing it and think.

    THE REAL WAR ON WOMEN STARTS AND CONTINUES IN YOUR THOUGHTS AND ACTIONS.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    30,280

    Default Re: The real war on women

    Quote Originally Posted by Donn View Post
    "Legitimate rape."

    There's an interesting concept.
    It's a Republican concept, from conservative Todd Akin. He's the one who told us if the rape is legitimate a woman's body will shut down the pregnancy mechanism.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,923

    Default Re: The real war on women

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Are these cases of legitimate rape?
    Quote Originally Posted by Donn View Post
    "Legitimate rape."

    There's an interesting concept.
    Short memory my friend?

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    30,280

    Default Re: The real war on women

    I know I'm a peculiar thinker on these forums, but I'd like someone to explain to me why the GOP fails to support equal pay for equal work.

    I'd like to know why they failed to support legislation aimed at protecting women from domestic violence.

    Why they believe poor women should be denied contraception, cancer exams (and other health related exams), or abortions, so we can create more poor children who will need the food stamps the they also wish to deny them. What is the point of having more hungry children?

    Minimum wage impacts more women than men. What does the GOP have against paying people enough so they don't qualify for food stamps?

    Even voter ID laws discriminate against women. If a married woman takes her husbands name, which is the norm, she'll have to produce a marriage certificate to get this ID. That's a hurdle only women will have to overcome.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,923

    Default Re: The real war on women

    While all of the above is true...
    Democrats are equally guilty (well almost) .. there are no votes in "womens issues " these days.

    Women have the vote.. what more do they need..


    Democrats could have pushed the reforms you are talking about during Carter or Clinton. Most western countries have had these things for 30+ years.
    It's not a left/right issue. it's lack of will.

    There are no votes in womens issues.
    Last edited by changeng; 05-02-2014 at 08:07 AM.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,663

    Default Re: The real war on women

    I guess I'm just supposed to be happy that my husband no longer owns me like a farm animal or piece of property. (please note the sarcasm)
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg MB
    Posts
    17,393

    Default Re: The real war on women

    Perhaps more women should be elected. I read this morning that only 294 women have been elected to Congress, compared to over 12 000 men.

    What are you doing about it?




  26. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,923

    Default Re: The real war on women

    Women have difficulty. Fewer women have the freedom to engage. Then the few that do have to compete with the misogyny that gets flung their way. It's a lot harder for women to get elected.
    The women that do get elected to the highest offices do not survive long.

    Many Women elected to the highest office survive less than one year. Why?
    see the list below.

    http://www.guide2womenleaders.com/Female_Leaders.htm

    The assassination rate totally out of proportion
    .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_elected_or_appointed_female_heads_of_gover nment



    Last edited by changeng; 05-02-2014 at 08:46 AM.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,923

    Default Re: The real war on women

    Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    I guess I'm just supposed to be happy that my husband no longer owns me like a farm animal or piece of property. (please note the sarcasm)
    .

  28. #28

    Default Re: The real war on women

    Quote Originally Posted by ljb5 View Post
    This is about the hundredth attempt by Republican men to tell us what the "real" war on women is.

    They don't even allow women to tell us what the war on women is.


    Zing!!!

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    5,104

    Default Re: The real war on women

    Quote Originally Posted by changeng View Post
    Women have difficulty. Fewer women have the freedom to engage. Then the few that do have to compete with the mysogyny that gets flung their way. It's a lot harder for women to get elected.
    Well, women are shrill and emotional not to mention the libido problem if ya know what I mean?

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    afloat with at least 6' of water under me.
    Posts
    57,234

    Default Re: The real war on women

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    Perhaps more women should be elected. I read this morning that only 294 women have been elected to Congress, compared to over 12 000 men.
    That's almost half of the congress (total, 535). Referring to somewhere else?

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,923

    Default Re: The real war on women

    Quote Originally Posted by Donn View Post
    Google up Marisa DeFranco, and tell us about the "war on women."

    Check out Nigeria for a real war on women...or little girls.
    Are you saying that American women should be grateful that they don't live in Nigeria?

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,353

    Default Re: The real war on women

    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    It seems from this forun that if you are educated you are liberal, of you value ignorance you are not. So - University - seat of learning - liberal. Got it now?
    Oh, I've had it for a long time; and Shirley you can't expect me to ignore it.
    Last edited by CWSmith; 05-02-2014 at 09:05 AM.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,353

    Default Re: The real war on women

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    That may be; I'm not too familiar with US universities. Covering up rape is despicable, certainly.
    Acknowledging that 1 in 5 women are sexually assaulted in college is bad for business. (Personally, I'd like to know the definition of "assault", but either way the numbers are too high.)

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,353

    Default Re: The real war on women

    Quote Originally Posted by bogdog View Post
    William and Mary who in on the list is one of our local schools. Another local school Old Dominion University has had an unfortunate number of fatal and serious student assaults in the last few years. I think one common problem in both cases is the speed(lack thereof) in which the school administrations let student know there has been an assault on fellow students.
    I went to graduate school at William & Mary. It's very sad to see them on the list.

    It's probably just a prejudice of mine, but the fraternity culture is very strong there. I tend to associate the two.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,353

    Default Re: The real war on women

    Quote Originally Posted by changeng View Post
    Sexual assault and violence, and prejudice, discrimination, diminunitization against women occurs in every area of life. In School, universities, companies, government... everywhere including this forum.
    If the OP really cares.. pull your head out and stop politicizing it and think.

    THE REAL WAR ON WOMEN STARTS AND CONTINUES IN YOUR THOUGHTS AND ACTIONS.
    Beyond the cover up, the 1 in 5 statistic is obscene. My question is whether this continues in "adult" life, or is a function of the college culture that includes too much alcohol and too few consequences.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •