Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12312 ... LastLast

Thread: Elena, a Welsford Navigator cruising sloop

Default Re: Elena, a Welsford Navigator cruising sloop

I joined bits together this weekend. Centerboard case to spine, bulkheads 1 to 4 to spine, then finally I scarfed some 90x19 Tassie oak to firm the keel plank, cut a bloody big hole in that, and screwed it to the underside of the spine and centerboard case.

Here's the scarfing, with my trusty Stanley no. 5, and my other favourite scarf.

Here's my supervisor Mogget, supervising from the safety of my motorbike.

And all sitting on some sawhorses, with centerboard poking out the bottom.

One comment about your centerboard case. I would prefer to have access to the board from above after the boat is in service. Will those upper case pieces be removable?

Over the last couple of weeks I scarfed my garboard plank, cut that out, and built a frame on which to continue boat assembly. Here's the scarfs for the plank:

My building frame, knocked up from framing pine:

And the first time the boat-so-far has been on the garboard plank. I've got to put the height reference pieces on the building frame before I glue and screw it in place.

Excellent!
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Looking great Suzy!

Do you make all the other frames/bulkheads and a transom before gluing/fixing your garboards, or is there a cunning plan afoot?
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Looking great Suzy!

Do you make all the other frames/bulkheads and a transom before gluing/fixing your garboards, or is there a cunning plan afoot?
    I may have my terminology confused - I'm unsure whether the floor pice is the garboard plank or whether the garboard is the next plank up. In any case, the rest of the bulkheads attach to the floor piece rather than the spine, so I've got to have that attached to the spine & keel plank before I can progress. Once I've got the bulkheads & transom in place, I'll add stringers and then commence planking.

Will u use stringers? If so, seems to me that possibly the last bulkhead is not wide enough.

Goodness Suzie, didn't you read the forum rules? "All Collingwood supporters must declare their allegiance on application and all such applications shall be automatically refused...."
    (damn shame about those Gold Coast boys eh?)

And re the garboard, that is the first plank next to the keel.

Looks great and the cat seems to approve.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

And I think what you refer to as the floor piece is the keelson, which is an "interior keel" for want of a better descriptor that sits above the keel proper. It appears that you attach all your transverse/athwartships members to it, plank up you boat and then attach the keel proper to the bottom and false stem over the bows.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Goodness Suzie, didn't you read the forum rules? "All Collingwood supporters must declare their allegiance on application and all such applications shall be automatically refused...."
    (damn shame about those Gold Coast boys eh?)

And re the garboard, that is the first plank next to the keel.

Looks great and the cat seems to approve.
    Thankfully I was too busy building my boat to watch the game.

My cat finds the whole boatbuilding process fascinating. There's all these new things to sit on, and shavings to roll in. The only thing he dislikes is the vacuum cleaner. Of course he understands perfectly that I'm just building a huge cat toy.

More progress. I got a pile of money back from my tax return, so bought tools, bronze bling, and a cool little VHF handheld.I added more bulkheads and installed the first plank of the rowing thwart, which is made from Jarrah no less.I might have stuffed up with some of my bronze bling. I bought drop-down rowlocks, which I somewhat naively thought drop down over the side. Now that I have them, all the pictures I see have them installed on the inner gunwale, which won't work on Elena because of the deck. I'm unsure what to do at this point. It'll be a while before I have to install them, so plenty of time to think of options.Meanwhile my boat is seriously filling out.

Yay! I'm finally done cutting out bulkheads. Now I can move on to cockpit seats.

Bulkhead 8 only barely holds on to the floor. I moved each cockpit seat front out 20mm from plan, and made my seats 20mm taller. I also deleted the cross brace between the two sides of bulkheads 6 and 8. This gives me room to lie down on the floor of the boat, which should make sleeping aboard during overnight passages easy ;P.

Here's me and my man wondering what to do next, after fitting bulkhead 8. He's quite keen on the idea of cutting up meat and feeding it to the cat:

I vacillated a bit before putting the cockpit seat fronts in, as I was worried the bend would pull everything out of true. Turns out I was wrong, all the bulkheads stayed nicely upright, and I think the bend in the cockpit seats helps them stay that way.

I bought myself a high zoot-factor spokeshave, which made cleaning up the edge on the seat fronts a doddle.

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    Hello Suzy, I clicked on your blog and immediately recognized the name "Little Fish", which refers to a bicycle frame which you made, and I greatly admired on another website, about 10 years ago now. And so folks, not to attempt to raise the bar, but this sailboat will turn out nice!
    +1, no make that +1,000,000! Not to stray too far off topic, but definitely check out Suzy's blog with the section on bicycles. Extreme craftsmanship in metalwork.

I too have followed her bicycle building adventures from the beginning. She's quite methodical.
    This is fun.
    Oh, and ..... I want that track bike.

There's some metalwork in my boat, too. I turned up a nice bronze pivot for my centerboard. Haven't needed to light the torch yet though.

There's similarity though. Both involve cutting pieces and joining them to other pieces. Both could be described as kinetic sculpture, if you were of a bent to do so.

You should know we're all a little bent here Suzy. Especially Rick.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    You should know we're all a little bent here Suzy. Especially Rick.
    It happens when ya spend too much time in the workshop. Ya get a little... weird... start talking to the cat. Cat starts talking back...

So the cat is the secret to your perfect work... hmmm, maybe I should get me one of those. I only have dogs... They don't do much else than pissing on my tools if I leave them on the floor.

Well, we have a cat that actually does talk back. We made the dreadful blunder of teaching him to say 'hewwo' (hello) by reward and repetition. He now uses it as a weapon. Like 3:00am, striding into the bedroom, shouting HEWWO HEWWO HEWWO to make us wake up and, hopefully open the back door so he can go terrorise the neighbourhood and eat native animals. He isn't allowed out until around sunrise. When he gets a mind to it he can do the HEWWO routine every ten minutes or so until we give in or lock him in the laundry or worse. On those rare fabulous days when he waltzes in with a jaunty smile at sunrise and sings a beseeching hewwo chorus, all parties are happy.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

My work is a very long way from perfect. It's more a series of blunders than anything else. My cat does very similar things to yours, though his preferred way of getting the lazy minions out of bed at 4am is to do star jumps on our feet. He's got a very specific "this is not acceptable" meow that he uses on me if I'm late feeding him.

Hmmm. Painted my centerboard over the weekend. I'm using aquacote polyurethane topcoat and it's matching waterborne epoxy undercoat.

Started with a 5mm nap roller for the undercoat. Lots of sanding needed to get it flat. Tried the second coat with a brush. Same deal.

So for the topcoat I figured I'd put it on with a spray gun. I've got an Iwata rg3, which is a bloody nice touch up gun, at least for painting bicycles. Way too small for this though. I think I've got a 1mm tip. I'll probably need a 1.5 or 1.6 to keep up with this stuff. It sets up _fast_.

Ended up with a tolerably good finish, though I'll be spending some time in a few days buffing, methinks.

Suzy,
    did you try the roller and the brush? That's the 'roll and tip' thing. I tried it this summer, and I was very pleased at how much smoother everything came out.

Suzij, maybe you've already seen but on Boatcraft site they have instructions for that paint system and the size/type of spray guns etc. In the latest or one before of Aus Amatuer Boat Builder, there was an extensive article about using these paints in the roll/tip method I think. I plan on using these on my boat soon so I AM WATCHING YOU. you're up in W.A. Aren't you perhaps hot/dry is your prob. Tried cool of morning?

My experiences with Aquacote have been disappointing, although they were a couple of years ago now. Tried the roll and tip method and couldn't get a satisfactory finish, it would set up too fast, even in the cool of the morning. I then moved onto
    a professional spray painter, who just about ended up in tears with frustration. It proved to be very unforgiving to apply, requiring such a narrow set of suitable conditions that I would not use it again.

I got a small sample pack from them and it was ok brushing, but I may spray. May get a litre of u.coat and t.coat too experiment better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalegarth View Post
    My experiences with Aquacote have been disappointing, although they were a couple of years ago now. Tried the roll and tip method and couldn't get a satisfactory finish, it would set up too fast, even in the cool of the morning. I then moved onto
    a professional spray painter, who just about ended up in tears with frustration. It proved to be very unforgiving to apply, requiring such a narrow set of suitable conditions that I would not use it again.
    It's a very good quality product - heaps of pigment and very opaque. The doco stipulates thinning out to 10%. I note it's made in Queensland though, so they probably aren't taking WA temperature and humidity (lack of) into account. Certainly when thinning to 10% it was still considerably thicker than what I'm used to. I think I'll experiment a little with less cross linker and more thinner. I'm sure there's a sweet spot in there which suits Gero.

I'll be repainting the black hull of The Mighty Pippin with Aquacote as the pigmented finish is terrifically durable and touching up dings is easy. It buffs out easily enough, but cutting any finished surface generally improves it. Straining it through a very very fine wire strainer can help. Thinners? I used water as the thinner and anything I didn't use went straight back into the pot through the strainer. Applying the finish during humidity actually helps improve the result. Less cross link actually means less pot life for the mix before the cross link dies.

There was a guy on here from Canberra, Wild Wassa aka Warren, who was/is a shipwright on the sailing fleet there is an expert at painting and finishing. His favourite finish is Aquacote.

I've found the clear isn't as good though and I'll be trying a Norglass clear this time around, but I do need to re-coat more frequently.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

I should add that my experience with Aquacote has only been with the clear. I used 2 pack Norglass clear on my last kayak which gave a terrific finish, but the Aquacote
    smelt much nicer.

So I put the transom on today, after working on it for the last fortnight. I went a little over the top and added a Jarrah veneer to the back. I blame Barrett Faneuf for this, and cursed her mightily while spending a couple of days filling my garage with Jarrah sawdust. Alas I could only get 20mm thick planks, and I have no bandsaw (but I do have a big router and a whole lot of stupidity). Here's a photo of the Jarrah being attached to some 6mm ply.

Here's the mess after spending a couple of days hacking at it with a 25mm bit in the router to thin it out some.

I stopped the cursing once it was planed flat, sanded, cut out and epoxied. I think it was well worth the effort.

Then I made the doubler from 20mm thick Tassie oak. While working I discovered how sharp my chisels are, when I made a really neat cut along the side of my thumb. Thankfully no stitches were needed and it's healing up really well. After about five thousand test fits and tweakings I epoxied the whole shebang to the arse end of the boat.

Looks spectacular, well worth the effort!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalegarth View Post
    Looks spectacular, well worth the effort!
    There was a point about 2/3rds through brutalising the poor thing with the router where I nearly gave up. I'm really glad I didn't. I think it's going to be a real focal point for the boat.

Also interesting how much paler than the rowing thwart it ended up. I'm confused about that, as I even took a sample of the timber I used for the rowing thwart and bought timber that looked similar. Perhaps it's a trick of the light.

The "arse" of the boat looks great.

You must have some cnc machine hidden somewhere with which you cut everything... How do you get everything cut so nicely?

Everything is looking great! And that transom will be spectacular!! Since you've taken inspiration from Barrett, I couldn't resist posting this pic of Yuko. It just might be my favorite pic of a home-built boat.

Got the stringers whacked in. There was a little mucking about with the exact positioning to get fairness, but on the whole it was pretty easy.

First here's the very worst notch. I had to move this one (top stringer on bulkhead 6) down a full 6mm. I've added a little bit of timber to fill in the gap.

Once the mucking about is done though the line is really nice:

Here's a couple of views of the whole shebang:

Straight after that success I snapped my inner gunwale at the scarf join, but that's the topic of another thread.

Suzy, very nice! What timber are you using for the stringers, just out of interest?

ps: my wife just looked over my shoulder and asked whose 'very organised' shed that was!!!
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............