Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: New Wooden Sailing Canoes - Artemis, Nautilus and TriRaid 560

Default New Wooden Sailing Canoes - Artemis, Nautilus and TriRaid 560

We are in a really exciting position just now, of having three new wood sailing canoes. Each one covering a different sector of canoe sailing, that is lightweight day boat full 50/50, cruising canoe and outrigger Raid Boat.

Artemis is a lightweight full 50/50 sailing canoe, Nautilus is a cruising canoe designed as a modern version of the original 1890's sailing canoe and finally TriRaid 560 designed as a home build, larger more seaworthy version of the hugely successful Hobie Adventure Island folding outrigger trimarans.

Dealing with the larger boat first, TriRaid 560.

The engineering and design features of the Hobie Adventure Island are very impressive and I have spent some time watching my friend sailing, launching, landing back at the beach and threading his way easily through our crowded moorings. However she is plastic, very expensive and smaller and less seaworthy than needed for cold water sailing. We need a wooden design, still folding, still using the Mirage Drive but with a larger more seaworthy main hull.

The news is that Klaus Metz has completed the design of TriRaid 560 and 4 boats are now in build. This gives wooden boat builders the Coastal Raid boat that we need as an option for building at home.

http://www.metzboats.de/htm/designs/...triraid560.htm and pdf drawing here http://www.metzboats.de/pdf/triraid560_profile.pdf

News on Nautilus is also good. John Welsford writes in his blog, "So I’ve several small boat designs on the go, little Scraps is done, plans will be completed in a few days, SEI being the next set of experiments and those plans will be completed when I’ve done some serious sailing in her to find out how she goes both in build and in her performance. There are a couple of others which are high priority to complete including a sailing canoe, and then?"

With Howard Rice and John Welsford working together on Nautilus cruising canoe, the results will be very special indeed. here is the original thread on Nautilus

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...-sailing-Canoe

Finally, we have a lightweight rather special 50/50 sailing canoe Artemis. Axel Schmid has been working on a lightweight 50/50 sailing canoe and his design is coming on very nicely indeed. http://www.bootsbaugarage.ch/kit.htm

Here are his objectives with Artemis:

A versatile sailing canoe
    . As easy to paddle as to sail.
    • For one person, camping gear, food and some water.A graceful boat with aesthetic lines that will glide over the water easily.
    • Can be built DIY without expensive tools in about 100 - 120 hours in your garage.
    • Very functional components.
    • Light enough to carry it on your shoulder and lift it on the roof rack without help - about 20 to 25 kg.
    • For lakes, rivers, bays and lagoons.

These are very challenging objectives, especially the light weight, quick build and sleep aboard.

These pictures show Axel is achieving his goals.

Last edited by keyhavenpotterer; 04-27-2014 at 04:23 PM.

Default Re: New Wooden Sailing Canoes - Artemis, Nautilus and TriRaid 560

I like the look of the Artemis 50/50 sailing canoe. Wonder if the decks could be finished off in nylon or polyester to save weight.

Dave Gentry also has plans for a traditional type sailing canoe I think. It will be interesting to see what he comes up with. It may be challenging to incorporate sturdy attachment points for a mast step, lee boards and rudder in a SOF design and keep the weight signficantly below a stitch and glue design.

Woody

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Jones View Post
    I like the look of the Artemis 50/50 sailing canoe. Wonder if the decks could be finished off in nylon or polyester to save weight.

Woody
    That's the plan I believe. The short side decks are glassed so they will support the sailor sitting out.

Congratulations to Axel. Lots of clever ideas in that boat, especially how the weight and stowage problems are dealt with. Looks like a practical and fun sailing canoe.

I am sure Axel will be pleased to hear of your encouragement Wulge. Having built and sailed a Bufflehead, Axel has put much though and experience into this lighter easier to build 50/50 sailing canoe.

She is also designed to have room to sleep aboard.

Last edited by keyhavenpotterer; 05-08-2014 at 07:37 AM.

Artemis with temporary plastic sheet deck and Bufflhead rig

That is one heck of a sailing canoe, especially storage wise. I am tempted.

Is the hull glassed 1/8'' or 1/4'' ply ? It doesn't seem to say .
    Last edited by PeterSibley; 05-09-2014 at 01:51 AM. Reason: typo
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

4mm .

Thanks ... this is a neat design .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Here's the hull stitched up

Axel's comments:

The planks do assemble easily. The result is exactly the hull shape I have drawn. The rocker is just right, plank width and angles look good over the entire length.
    The boat has buoyant ends that will not dive through waves. The bow is shaped to divide the water smoothly. The hard bilge will give good form stability. The stern will be capable of semi-planing.
    The closed bow and stern compartments and additional side flotation will give enough buoyancy to float the canoe high and dry in a capsize.

Brian

Just read that the Trika 540 trimaran, the smaller earlier version if the TriRaid 560, has a plywood kit now supplied by CLC.

more here http://smalltrimarans.com/blog/?p=11467

perhaps the larger TriRaid 560 will also follow this route.

brian

Seems TriRaid 560 is completing in the OcoumFest Challenge and doing very well. It's the red hull/cream outrigger trimaran in these photos by John Harris who is supplying ply kits for the Metzboats tris.

http://watertribe.org/forums/topic/o...e-photos-day-1

Very nice, but I hope my wife doesn't see these pictures or I'll be spending a month cutting up old bricks to replicate that paving pattern JayInOz

Hi all, I seldomly chime in, because I like to build boats and like to sail and paddle, not to write about it. Thanks to Brian for presenting pictures, informations and a link and thanks for your compliments on Artemis. I will try my best to make her nice-looking, capable of handling bigger stuff and do what I can to make her an easy build, in about 120 hours, from a kit. Slept onboard her at the Canoe Builder's Symposion in Berne, Switzerland, under a tarp, but it was so cold that I have now ordered tent poles for a tunnel tent, to be mounted near the gunwhale. Will make a tent for her in summer. Artemis has her clumsy temporary leeboard bracket removed. I am thinking about a leeboard mount in the upper plank (that was one of the reasons for the curious step in the gunwhale, the other being a much better paddling position for a double paddle). All the best to all (and don't mind the courtyard paving, JayInOz), Axel
    Last edited by canoe_sailor; 05-22-2014 at 06:40 AM.

Although it is very rare that I post to woodenboat I very much enjoy it. I am the pilot of the TriRaid 560 that won the OFC Challenge, a 210 mile race. I would like to take a second to tell how well the boat performed. First, I have been in several challenges with a different boat each time so I do have some experience racing. I was able to put what I needed into the TR in order to keep moving with all filters in place and that was the key because there were faster boats in the race., a I550. Filters are what makes it challenging and what it takes to win is not always the fastest boat. Because I was able to keep moving I finished the 210 miles in 47 hours. After seeing the Trika 540 I knew that Klaus had already made close to what I needed. It has its advantages over the TriRaid, like being cartopable, but what I needed was an expedition model and I knew what it would take to get there so the TriRaid was born.
    The TriRaid performed as I had hoped in a mix of conditions. We started the race in a Small Craft warning heading into winds and during the race it ranged from calm, no wind, to storms in the middle of the night. My average speed was 4.75 mph which considering the hours of pedaling in no wind still is very good. My top speed was 11.4 knots surfing and running for cover behind a small island during a storm at 3 am. My speed with good wind and off the beam was 8 knots but it only stayed there briefly.
    When beating into the wind and waves you will certainly need a dodger to keep water out of the cockpit. During the race I had but did not use a hand pump but did soak up what water that got in with a couple of Shamwows. Waves ranged from a high of 3 feet into the wind and also 3 feet downwind surfing. The bow would go under up to the mast down wind but would pop up just as soon as the wave was caught from behind and climbed. I do not desire any more boyancy in the front as it seems to be close to just right. As a note, although the waves did cover the front deck and access cover no water got into the front watertight compartment and no waves crested into the cockpit. I have found that the worst wave conditions to be in protected waters and not in the open ocean swells so I am assuming that the TR will do well and hope to find out in June.
    Other factors to consider is the ability to traverse shallow, narrow passages and into current. The TR did extremely well here. There was one stretch getting into a checkpoint in a channel about a mile long where I was able to sail while having aprox only a 40 yd channel to tack into the wind while motorsailing against a 3 mph current running out. Normally I would have sit and waited but because I knew that the guys in the I550 were on my tail I gave it a go and was suprised to find that I made it not without effort but I did make it and did not have to wait it out. I was tacking out of the marked channel with the board up and making headway and every time I passed a marker I could see how fast the water was rushing out.
    There are many things to consider about this boat and where it is not particular outstanding in one area it seems to be good at everything which I am enjoying very much because it seems to be much like me. Jack of all trades, master of none. I can live with that and so far it has been great fun exploring what she can do.
    Roger

Although it is very rare that I post to woodenboat I very much enjoy it. I am the pilot of the TriRaid 560 that won the OFC Challenge, a 210 mile race. I would like to take a second to tell how well the boat performed. First, I have been in several challenges with a different boat each time so I do have some experience racing. I was able to put what I needed into the TR in order to keep moving with all filters in place and that was the key because there were faster boats in the race., a I550. Filters are what makes it challenging and what it takes to win is not always the fastest boat. Because I was able to keep moving I finished the 210 miles in 47 hours. After seeing the Trika 540 I knew that Klaus had already made close to what I needed. It has its advantages over the TriRaid, like being cartopable, but what I needed was an expedition model and I knew what it would take to get there so the TriRaid was born.
    The TriRaid performed as I had hoped in a mix of conditions. We started the race in a Small Craft warning heading into winds and during the race it ranged from calm, no wind, to storms in the middle of the night. My average speed was 4.75 mph which considering the hours of pedaling in no wind still is very good. My top speed was 11.4 knots surfing and running for cover behind a small island during a storm at 3 am. My speed with good wind and off the beam was 8 knots but it only stayed there briefly.
    When beating into the wind and waves you will certainly need a dodger to keep water out of the cockpit. During the race I had but did not use a hand pump but did soak up what water that got in with a couple of Shamwows. Waves ranged from a high of 3 feet into the wind and also 3 feet downwind surfing. The bow would go under up to the mast down wind but would pop up just as soon as the wave was caught from behind and climbed. I do not desire any more boyancy in the front as it seems to be close to just right. As a note, although the waves did cover the front deck and access cover no water got into the front watertight compartment and no waves crested into the cockpit. I have found that the worst wave conditions to be in protected waters and not in the open ocean swells so I am assuming that the TR will do well and hope to find out in June.
    Other factors to consider is the ability to traverse shallow, narrow passages and into current. The TR did extremely well here. There was one stretch getting into a checkpoint in a channel about a mile long where I was able to sail while having aprox only a 40 yd channel to tack into the wind while motorsailing against a 3 mph current running out. Normally I would have sit and waited but because I knew that the guys in the I550 were on my tail I gave it a go and was suprised to find that I made it not without effort but I did make it and did not have to wait it out. I was tacking out of the marked channel with the board up and making headway and every time I passed a marker I could see how fast the water was rushing out.
    There are many things to consider about this boat and where it is not particular outstanding in one area it seems to be good at everything which I am enjoying very much because it seems to be much like me. Jack of all trades, master of none. I can live with that and so far it has been great fun exploring what she can do.
    Roger

Thanks so much Roger for posting on this thread. Good to hear feedback from this very promising new design. TriRaid 560 does look very well placed to meet sailors needs in these coastal distance events such as the Everglades.

I have watched a pal motor-sailing, ie Mirage Drive plus sails, upwind out through narrow yacht filled moorings and it is very impressive.

Good to hear also that there are already another 4 boats in build.

Brian
    Last edited by keyhavenpotterer; 06-01-2014 at 03:59 AM.

Hello Axel

Will you ever make only plans available?
    Keep on Sailing

smilicus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    sailing has a destination, not an estimated time of arrival - Sir R Knox-Johnston

http://sailingcatch22.blogspot.com

As far as I understand it, Axel wants to keep to an easily shipped compact parcel of plywood panels, this a very light boat after all with 4mm ply panels, and a fully extensive and detailed build manual.

Brian

A few requests from somewhat remote locations of this planet made me aware that shipping a full kit worldwide looks like a rather expensive option. So, I hope that I will have plans for those who want to cut their plywood themselves available in September. These plans (in english) come with a building key (about 20 pages). A "partial kit" will be available containing all plastic and metal parts, probably cloth for the deck, and some more detailed instructions how to glue them together. This partial kit is a standard parcel, so worldwide shipping is an option. A full kit with very detailed illustrated building instructions (about 100 pages, in german) will be available for european builders. Axel.

Hi Axcel. I am one of those requests. Looking forward to seeing those plans. Also I'd love to hear a comparison of your experience with Artemis compared to Bufflehead.
    Cheers.,

Axel has now covered the deck. Still needs sheerstrake and cockpit rim. Looking very nice

http://www.bootsbaugarage.ch/img/bausatz_23.JPG

and http://www.bootsbaugarage.ch/img/bausatz_24.JPG

pictures too of how pool noodles can neatly be used for under deck buoyancy.

Brian

This is looking great.

Axel continues to test sail Artemis.

His latest update is very promising indeed.

"Artemis has been tested in very differenct conditions and with different sails. As a solo canoe with about 20 - 30 kg of luggage, she sits exactly on her lines and is a joy to sail.

Hi guys,

Dave Clark here. Steve's son. I also built a wooden sailing canoe. I hope you like it.

DRC

Axel has gone quiet on this. Nothing posted on his blog since September. I wonder how things are going?

Axel has decided to change the deck from cloth to light ply. Overall it will be lighter and he is not completely happy with the sheer line with the slight lift for the foredeck, so has removed the top sheer plank and replaced it will a new sheer and will be decking her next.

the thing that comes over strongly is just how happy Axel is with her performance and how she handles. Coming from an experienced Bufflehead user, that is great news.

there are a number of terrific sailing canoe projects on the go just now. Howard Rice was in touch recently and Nautilus is firing up again with Howard and John starting work on finalising her to meet Howard's needs.

Claus Metz has kept updating his TriRaid 560 with more freeboard forward, sliding seat rowing set up, and an aft sleeping cabin version which is a little longer.

Solway Dory are updating their 14'6" Fulmar design with a new prototype which looks terrific.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Solwa...ref=ts&fref=ts

there is a new 18' sailing canoe in build in the US. http://www.mcgowanmarinedesign.com/1...ing_Canoe.html

and Michael Storer also has a new sailing canoe in prototype build in Holland. Huge Facebook thread here https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

very exciting times for sailing canoes, roll on 2015 launchings.

Brian
    Last edited by keyhavenpotterer; 12-25-2014 at 06:51 AM.

That fulmar looks promising....

Yes, very nice indeed. She has a tank that fills and empties during capsize recover. With her lower rounded sheerline, and a flooded tank on the opposite side to the leeboard, they are hoping she will be much easier to climb back in. Rather nice touch with the lowered seat, so that when a seat cushion is in place the top of the cushion is level with the side decks. Thoughtful or what!

Just to summarise these new designs

Artemis - lightweight quick build full 50/50 sail and kayak paddle sailing canoe.
    Nautilus - coastal and expedition sailing canoe
    Viola - Michael Storer's new sailing canoe- minimal weight light plywood very much in the style of the hugely successful Japanses Aquamuse sailing canoe.
    TriRaid 560 - folding lightweight multihull expedition and Raid boat in the Hobie Island Adventure style but with more sea keeping ability, higher performance rig, and sleep aboard.
    Solway Dory Fulmar - fully decked solo sailing canoe built for European markets but superbly developed and always worth watching and learning form what they do. Shame they are not available in the US.

Brian
    Last edited by keyhavenpotterer; 12-25-2014 at 07:54 AM.

Dear all

it's snowing in Switzerland and the epoxy curing time is quite long in my unheated boatbuilding garage.

I was just very busy building another ARTEMIS prototype. Hope I can show some pictures and also update the homepage til EO this year.
    Benjamin from St. Gallen has received an ARTEMIS kit in November, without deck. Have to be ahead of him to supply the deck plank segments in time...

Dreaming of cruising the coast of Croacia next summer with the new boat. It is easy to make 50 to 60 km/day and arrive relaxed and in good shape. A small tent with mosquito net over the cockpit would be a good idea when I sleep in the boat.

I will also take the new boat to the 5th Segelcriterium in Bremen, Germany, in September 2015. An international regatta for all canoe sailors, no yardstick - but for most participants, fun and joy is more important than competitve sailing.

All the best, Axel
    Last edited by canoe_sailor; 12-26-2014 at 11:32 AM.

Axel has updated his Artemis build blog with new pictures

http://www.bootsbaugarage.ch/kit.htm#141227

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by keyhavenpotterer View Post
    Axel has updated his Artemis build blog with new pictures

http://www.bootsbaugarage.ch/kit.htm#141227

Brian
    Does the snow deprive you of sailing in such beautiful craft or force you to have to spend time building beautiful craft when you can't be sailing?
    "Never get out of the boat." Apocalypse (Then)

Lots of news to update on Artemis.

Axel has built the new plywood deck. He reports that it is quickerand easier to build than the cloth deck and is lighter.

Some of you may have seen Hugh Horton's wonderful canoe seat that he re-invented for his Bufflehead sailing canoe. A very complex thing to make but wonderful adjustment both fore and aft and side to side. Axel made one of these for his own Bufflehead and has been working on a simpler build but with equal adjustment. This has now been achieved and he is going to offer the design available as a download for a small download fee, with half going to Hugh and half to Axel.

here is Hugh's original seat as made by Axel http://www.bootsbaugarage.ch/buff_technik_en.htm

and pictures of Axel's new simpler to make version. Each corner has an adjustment triangle which raises the corner. So two left hand ones can be raised on starboard tack to level the seat on a beat. All,four to raise the seat when paddling.

Last edited by keyhavenpotterer; 01-18-2015 at 11:21 AM.