Thread: Mast hoop question?

Default Mast hoop question?

I'm currently building a 16'00" Melonseed. It will be gaff rigged with mast hoops, running up the mast. How do the mast hoops typically attach to the grommets in the sail? Any photos? Thanks in advance.
    " Be all that you can be"

Default Re: Mast hoop question?

Unless you get the patent mast hoop clips which I think are available from Pert Lowell , maybe Beetle Cats, and are not cheap, you can forggo hoops and just lace the sail with forth and back lacing which in these sizes I prefer. The patent hoop clips lash to the hoops and lash to the sail.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

It's a square lashing - over top of the hoop, through grommet, back over top of hoop, down to bottom of hoop on that side, under and through grommet, back to bottom of hoop and up to top on that side, through grommet . . . etc.

I finish off frapping between the hoop and the grommet to pull the laces together thus tightening and eliminating chafe.

For a small boat like that, however, I think a proper lacing (NOT marling hitches, half hitches or spirals !!) is more suitable than hoops.

The best thing hoops do is on a large boat they provide a way aloft under sail for the agile and the bored.

As above, hoops may be overkill for that size boat. Please allow me to recommend robands instead of lacing. Robands allow you to more easily remove the sail from the mast and store it on the boom, or vice versey. They can be simple lengths of line tied through the sail grommets and then onto the mast with a square knot, or you can fancy 'em up with parrel beads and toggle fasteners.

Last edited by Thorne; 04-21-2014 at 12:56 PM.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

The Dutch use robands that run like forth and back lacing, that is each of the robands runs at an angle. A sweet system, as everything gets looser when you lower the sail. I'm going to rig a set on my iceboat. They will require more tweaking than just straight robands. But it's really nice when things go up and down easily.

My lacing preference is when the sail stays on the mast either with a sprit rig or a bundled gaff ( where the gaff comes to the boom, everything is furled up then the peak halyard is used to raise the bundle so it is parallel to the mast and the whole affair is lifted out, something they used to do on Delaware small boats but get hard when the sail is much over 100 sq ft.
    Last edited by Ben Fuller; 04-21-2014 at 09:44 PM. Reason: more info
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

I use the mast hoops from Pert Lowell on my 32' ketch and they are laced like Ian described. These work well but are probably too far apart to climb.

I use the lacing on my Elver but the robands with optional parrel beads look like a much better system. The lacing is difficult to get right with the sail down.
    Will

Ian and Will, any photos of either the lashing or how the hoops are lashed to the sail?
    " Be all that you can be"

Thorne, These are GORGEOUS! I came, looking for how to lash my hoops to my luff and came away with a significant improvement. Thank you!!
    Last edited by DavidWhy; 07-22-2021 at 09:41 AM.

this is one of the traditional ways, a clipping from one of the gaff rig books.. John Leather or Tom Cunliffe...

more info and other options taken from the books here:
    https://www.frankhagan.com/weekender/gaffmain.htm

Yes. This with a couple turns at the end, 90 between luff and hoops to "tighten" the lashing shown here. Ending in a reefknot. I will try to post a picture of that to make the thread complete. New to forum. Not sure I can
    But personally, I am enamoured of the toggle and bead solution, Thorne shows above. Monkeyfist or toggle, either, with two or 4 beads... on my Norseboat, I will appreciate being able to fasten the sail onto the mast, rather than lifting the sail up over my head to slide the hoops down over the bottom half of my mast, partially stepped.

I lovingly varnished the mast hoops on Truth. The first hoist broke one because it got a little tilted and varnish on varnish proved sticky enough. Fortunately, we had put a couple of extras on for just such an eventuality.
    Subsequently, the bearing surfaces of the hoops got leather covers and a piece of light line was run down from the gaff jaws to the front of each hoop, where it made a clove hitch. Thus the hoops were held horizontal as they were hoisted.
    When hoisted, they are under little or now load, throat halyard tension keeps the luff behaving.
    Ian's advice is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    I lovingly varnished the mast hoops on Truth. The first hoist broke one because it got a little tilted and varnish on varnish proved sticky enough. Fortunately, we had put a couple of extras on for just such an eventuality.
    Subsequently, the bearing surfaces of the hoops got leather covers and a piece of light line was run down from the gaff jaws to the front of each hoop, where it made a clove hitch. Thus the hoops were held horizontal as they were hoisted.
    When hoisted, they are under little or now load, throat halyard tension keeps the luff behaving.
    Ian's advice is excellent.
    Or you could do what the old tars did. Slush the mast with the fat off the top of the cooking pot.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.