Thread: Meade Gougeon's sailing canoe/trimaran

Default Meade Gougeon's sailing canoe/trimaran

I thought this might spark some intrerest in some of the small boat enthusiasts out there. Meade put together a great little kayak based trimaran that is just slick--as are all his craft.

It has gone from this:

To this:

And this year to this:

He sure looks comfy in that boat.

Dan

Default Re: Meade Gougeon's sailing canoe/trimaran

Neato. Thanks for posting those pics, I'd heard of the boat mentioned but never saw any pics.

I may yet turn my kayak into a tri. May as well as I don't paddle it anymore.

You should do it! I'm still contemplating what to do with my Tamanu hulls. Big cat or outrigger. 3 kids has left little time for building lately, but Summer may change that.

These are all the same canoe with slight variations on rig and the added outriggers. Meades current boat is the next generation hull up from this canoe, which is 15 ft LOA. The new yellow canoe is 17ft LOA.........or within a few inches of this length. I'll dig up a photo and post it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan St Gean View Post
    I thought this might spark some intrerest in some of the small boat enthusiasts out there. Meade put together a great little kayak based trimaran that is just slick--as are all his craft.

It has gone from this:

To this:

And this year to this:

He sure looks comfy in that boat.

Dan

Meades 2014 ride. Built as was Woodwind by Canadian Skip Izon. Skip also built Hugh Hortons Buffleheads, a talented builder.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I had a nice talk with Meade about his new boat at the EC finish. I didn't take any photos, but suffice it to say it was well thought out. And it was crazy fast in the light airs we had this year. We passed Meade every night as he stopped to sleep, but every day about noon he'd catch up with us and pass after we'd sailed all night. It might have been a little more even if the wind was up a bit more, but even then I'm not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Rice View Post
    Meades 2014 ride. Built as was Woodwind by Canadian Skip Izon. Skip also built Hugh Hortons Buffleheads, a talented builder.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Looks like the same rig and amas with a new bigger hull. Any insight?

Dan

After an email query to Meade about his boat, Meade was kind enough to respond. He mentioned that he's been inundated with requests about his new boat after his strong Watertribe performance. He aims to write an article to alleviate having to reply to each request for information.

Dan

Interesting reefing loops on his sail -- what do they do? Wrap under and clip to the other side? Would like to copy. Any good guess as to the sail area? Looks 90 s.f. or so? -- Wade
    Last edited by wtarzia; 04-14-2014 at 01:31 PM.

Note how the loops are larger as you go up the sail. Looks like they go under the sail and hook onto the sail at the opposite side, hence larger loops to gather more reefed sail. Makes a lot of sense to have the reef points along each batten to distribute the load and help sail shape when reefed.

Love, Love this boat,
    I am intrigued as to how the aka (outrigger beam) is attached. I have scoured the pictures and it just looks like it floats above the deck. From an engineering stand point I would want some posts as far outboard on the gunwale. Clearly whatever set up Meade uses is very successful.

Tink

Quote Originally Posted by wtarzia View Post
    Interesting reefing loops on his sail -- what do they do? Wrap under and clip to the other side? Would like to copy. Any good guess as to the sail area? Looks 90 s.f. or so? -- Wade
    There is a nice writeup regarding the evolution of these reefing loops by Stuart Hopkins, sole proprietor at Dabbler Sails. Meade had suggested velcro closures, but it attracts dirt and break down in sunlight, so first sails using velcro didn't turn out well. I decided to use Dabbler Sails for my Va'a motu main and jib (he doesn't do asymmetrical spinnakers).

For the next R2AK? It might be a real contender in lighter air conditions.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.