Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 37464748 LastLast
Results 1,611 to 1,645 of 1668

Thread: What Are You Reading?

Default Re: What Are You Reading?

As I think about it, I think Harlan Coben and his Myron Bolitar are about the closest thing to the genius of JD MacDonald and Travis McGee that I've come across in a long time.

Finished P. Djeli Clark's 'Ring Shout' last night. Not a long book, and very engaging. Not a happy read, but a good one, and thought-provoking. I think the lesson for today is that one has to tap into one's Righteous Anger to combat evil. But without succumbing to the anger and becoming that which you detest/resist. And without giving up - even when the corruption, evil, nihilism, and cynicism seems to have taken over.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Salmon by Mark Kurlansky
    Finding the Mother Tree by S. Simard
    Both are to be recommended. I also own and have read nearly all the excellent boat-related titles David G mentions.
    Kurlansky, author of Cod, Salt and others, thinks Salmon might be his most important work. I would agree.

I am not reading them yet, but I just received two new-to-me non-fiction books about boats that I am itching to crack open. Unfortunately that won't happed for at least several weeks due to workload in the run-up to the start of lobstering season.

Sails of the Maritimes by John P. Parker, M.B.E., Master Mariner (self-published, 1960) "The subject of this book is the story of the development of the large cargo schooners which were built in Atlantic Canada during the eighty-odd years of their existence." (from the liner notes on the slipcover)

The Salt-Water Men - Canada's Deep-Sea Sailors by Joseph Schull (MacMillan, c. 1960) "The Salt-Water Men is a tale of great captains and great seamen. They were Canadians, or they sailed in ships Canadians had built, and most of their names have been forgotten, even in the ports from which their tall-masted vessels put out. But now Joseph Schull has brought these iron men in their wooden ships to life again. Here is James Smith who built Marco Polo in Saint John, New Brunswick, and Bully Forbes who sailed her ("the fastest ship in the world") and wore her name on his tombstone when he died. Here is W.D. Lawrence and his son-in-law, Jim Ellis of Schubenacadie, and the mighty W.D.Lawrence, 'the largest ship afloat'." (from the liner notes on the slipcover)
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

A debut novel from Benet Brandreth, 'The Spy of Venice'.

Postulates that Wm. Shakespeare spent some of his 'lost years' in Italy, as an accidental diplomat/spy. Most worthwhile.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Has anyone read Stephen Fry? I haven’t but it just occurred to me he’s a pretty bright and interesting character and I see he has written an autobiography, several novels, books about Greek mythology, etc. I’m not likely to read about classic mythology but maybe his novels are worth a try?

Journey to the West, Wu Cheng’em is next on the list

Dawn of Everything by Graeber and Wengrow. I’m on page 8 of everything.

The Little Buddhist Monk By Cesar Aira

Default What Are You Reading?

Testimony. The autobiography of Robbie Robertson.

I just finished the autobiography of Levon Helm, This Wheels On Fire. The two books are complementary.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Has anyone read Stephen Fry? I haven’t but it just occurred to me he’s a pretty bright and interesting character and I see he has written an autobiography, several novels, books about Greek mythology, etc. I’m not likely to read about classic mythology but maybe his novels are worth a try?
    I found his book on greek mythology disappointing

"Homo Deus, A Brief History of Tomorrow". Yuval Noah Harari.

Back in my genre! (Sorry, Mr. Hadfield: I loved the Bowie cover, but the Apollo Murders not nearly so much. Clearly well-researched, but not quite my thing.)

Harari correctly points out that we're much more likely (in the developed world) to commit suicide than be killed in action, and much more likely to die of obesity than starve.

So what's our future? Harari finally poses the question: "What will happen to society, politics and daily life when non-conscious but highly intelligent algorithms know us better than we know ourselves?"

But that's happening today.

I think Max Tegmark (in his book "Life 3.0") has the answer. Conscious, highly intelligent algorithms take over. Whether we have a say in the matter is up to us, ummm, right now.

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

Below the Edge of Light, Edith Widder.
    A deep sea biologist exploring the connections between light and life.
    Text Publishing, Melbourne

The Gathering Storm, Winston Churchill.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

Not released yet, but already ordered. Very interested to read this. I have a lot of respect of Kilcullen's analysis and think he's done a great job of anticipating things over the last 20 or so years.

https://www.hurstpublishers.com/book/the-ledger/

Fun, YA fiction. 'The Chronicles of Chrestomance Volume I'

There are a couple of spots where she leans WAY too heavily on the notion that children are loathe to bring problems to an adult. But if you can get past those spots... it's a brilliantly creative romp.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I just bought Homo Deus, by Yuval Noah Harriri. Pub: Vintage

It's in a queue though……..

Chesapeake Requiem, by Earl Swfit. Itís from 2018 and is about Tangier Island vanishing. Engaging, so far.

Homewaters: A Human and Natural History of Puget Sound

Digging it. Great environmental writing, avoids a lot of the romantic breathlessness this type of thing usually suffers from. Not knowing much about the region it's a good overview.

Not far from Seattle skyscrapers live 150-year-old clams, more than 250 species of fish, and underwater kelp forests as complex as any terrestrial ecosystem. For millennia, vibrant Coast Salish communities have lived beside these waters dense with nutrient-rich foods, with cultures intertwined through exchanges across the waterways. Transformed by settlement and resource extraction, Puget Sound and its future health now depend on a better understanding of the region’s ecological complexities.

Focusing on the area south of Port Townsend and between the Cascade and Olympic mountains, Williams uncovers human and natural histories in, on, and around the Sound. In conversations with archaeologists, biologists, and tribal authorities, Williams traces how generations of humans have interacted with such species as geoducks, salmon, orcas, rockfish, and herring. He sheds light on how warfare shaped development and how people have moved across this maritime highway, in canoes, the mosquito fleet, and today’s ferry system. The book also takes an unflinching look at how the Sound’s ecosystems have suffered from human behavior, including pollution, habitat destruction, and the effects of climate change.

Witty, graceful, and deeply informed, Homewaters weaves history and science into a fascinating and hopeful narrative, one that will introduce newcomers to the astonishing life that inhabits the Sound and offers longtime residents new insight into and appreciation of the waters they call home.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Chesapeake Requiem, by Earl Swfit. It’s from 2018 and is about Tangier Island vanishing. Engaging, so far.
    Sounds interesting.

Have your read Michener's 'Chesapeake'? Every time I re-read it, I'm glad I did.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by offbelayknife View Post

Digging it. Great environmental writing, avoids a lot of the romantic breathlessness this type of thing usually suffers from. Not knowing much about the region it's a good overview.
    That sounds great. I didnít think Iíd be interested in a book about where Iíve lived all my life, but on second thought, that blurb points out how little I really know about it. Iím burned out on fiction right now, this might be what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Sounds interesting.

Have your read Michener's 'Chesapeake'? Every time I re-read it, I'm glad I did.
    Good book. I've enjoyed most of Michener's stuff.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Sapiens, by Yuval Noah Harari. It's interesting; he certainly isn't shy about speculation. I think I'll read his later one too.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Chesapeake Requiem, by Earl Swfit. It’s from 2018 and is about Tangier Island vanishing. Engaging, so far.
    You might also like American Fire, by Monica Hesse. Also set in Accomack County, VA, the story of serial arson in an economically struggling community, motivated by a struggling romance.
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by UCanoe_2 View Post
    You might also like American Fire, by Monica Hesse. Also set in Accomack County, VA, the story of serial arson in an economically struggling community, motivated by a struggling romance.
    Maybe. Sounds grim, actually. Is it a novel, or non-fiction?

Anyway, this book, Chesapeake Requiem, has followed watermen. Loads of crabbing in the book. Busters and peelers and lemons and jimmies everywhere!

The story seems to be as much about the people as the place, and how the two often become inextricably linked; I wonder, as I read, where are these people going to GO when their island is gone?

Where are we ALL going to go when our island is gone?

Maybe. Sounds grim, actually. Is it a novel, or non-fiction?

Anyway, this book, Chesapeake Requiem, has followed watermen. Loads of crabbing in the book. Busters and peelers and lemons and jimmies everywhere!

The story seems to be as much about the people as the place, and how the two often become inextricably linked; I wonder, as I read, where are these people going to GO when their island is gone?

Where are we ALL going to go when our island is gone?

Non-fiction. The couple got prison sentences.

I know Accomack County, although I have not visited in a long time. One of my early ancestors settled there in 1665, and my dad was the first person in the family to move away permanently. Waltwood lives there, building barges and deadrises.
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

judging a book by it's cover

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by UCanoe_2 View Post
    Non-fiction. The couple got prison sentences.

I know Accomack County, although I have not visited in a long time. One of my early ancestors settled there in 1665, and my dad was the first person in the family to move away permanently. Waltwood lives there, building barges and deadrises.

Yeesh! I will cautiously explore it.

Quote Originally Posted by offbelayknife View Post

That sounds good.

Finished 'Snow' by Banville. Excellent writing. But a grim tale about a crop of messed up aristocrats. In the end, I'm not sure it was worth the time.

I seldom give up on books, but I gave up on 'Fire Dance', a bit of wizarly fantasy by Ilana Myer. Disjointed, meandering, glitzy, and self-referential. She needs an editor/plot consultant.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

The Dawn of Everything, by Graeber and Wengrow.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    The Dawn of Everything, by Graeber and Wengrow.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...manity/620177/

I've got it on order.
    Last edited by David G; 12-04-2021 at 12:44 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I'm only on chapter three. So far so good.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Came by post today, the newest volume written by Garrison Keillor.
    SERENITY AT 70, GAIETY AT 80. An introspection and autobiography. He has not lost it yet. A sonnet on page 30 he claims that Shakespeare would have written it if not fearing Elizabeth I rath. Probably.

Tom

Just finished the last book of The Expanse. It did not disappoint.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

The Bounty, by Caroline Alexander about the sailing vessel and mutinous voyage. Them olde tymey sailing boats is neat to read about.