Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19282930 LastLast
Results 981 to 1,015 of 1039

Thread: What Are You Reading?

Default Re: What Are You Reading?

Antique Woodworking Tools and Restoring, Tuning, and Using Classic Woodworking Tools by Michael Dunbar. Both books are mostly about planes of various varieties. The first book treats wood bodied tools entirely, while the second also covers iron and steel tools by Stanley and other manufacturers. The author specializes in building Windsor chairs by hand using old tools.
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Spike Milligan on his memories of the last days of the Raj. His father Leo was a Sergeant Major in the British Army in India. Spike writes so well you can almost see the scenes..

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Spike Milligan on his memories of the last days of the Raj. His father Leo was a Sergeant Major in the British Army in India. Spike writes so well you can almost see the scenes..
    His war memoirs are among the best I have ever read.

What are you doing about it?

A few weeks ago I stopped I one of our local used book stores, just for a look....I had a few minutes to waste/wait. I picked up 2 books. One was simply to replace an old book I already had but this was a much better copy.
    The other was a little book I had not heard of at all, nor had I heard of the larger story. As a pretty well read history buff I am a little embarrassed to know nothing of the story.
    " Sailing to Freedom" was written by Valdemar Veedam and Carl B Wall, and tells the story of Estonian refugees after the end of WW II, sailing from Sweden to America in an old 36 foot double ended sailboat....16 persons...men...women and children. The story/book is pretty well written...readable, and pretty amazing.
    It turns out there were several hundred Estonians that made the same sailing journey from Sweden to Canada and the USA in the years immediately after the war. Sweden was going to ship them all back to Estonia ( then part of Soviet Russia ) In all, thousands made their way across by other means, but this migration by small sailing yachts was particular and pretty unique.

Sometime you find gold in them thar book stores.....definitely worth the few dollars I spent.

Beautiful writing. Brilliant description.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

"The Castle In The Forest" Norman Mailer. CREEPY!
    Ask me! I've got my Leatherman!

Finished the final (?) of the Red Sparrow trilogy last night. Most enjoyable.

Started 'The Last Magician'.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Just started “Boy Swallows Universe”. Know nothing about other than the liner notes; Australian boy comes of age, which checks a couple of boxes for me.

I gave up on William Faulkner "Intruder In The Dust" after two paragraphs.

First paragraph:

"Two guys were headed into town. He was there, under the shed."

Who's "he"? Neither of the two guys, because they're on the way; "he" is already there.

If the shed is on the ground -- where else would it be? -- and "he" is under the shed, then "he" is under the ground. WTF

Second paragraph:

Characters 4, 5 and 6. No discernible connection. Close book, goodbye.

No wonder "The Big Sleep" makes no sense. Moderns always have to get cute.
    Trust me to defend the Constitution just as soon as I'm sure you're going to vote for me again.

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    I gave up on William Faulkner "Intruder In The Dust" after two paragraphs.
    Definitely out of your depth. You ought to stick to tech manuals on fixing toilets.

I'm still on Kochland Well written, and very interesting. No wonder we're where we are.
    "Congress doesn't regulate Wall Street, Wall Street regulates Congress."

MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY! "I have heard of some kind of men that put quarrels purposely on others."

As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

International Financial Conspirator, Collaborator, Gun Runner, Ace Philosopher-King and all-around smartie pants

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Definitely out of your depth. You ought to stick to tech manuals on fixing toilets.
    Wow. Where did that come from?
    Trust me to defend the Constitution just as soon as I'm sure you're going to vote for me again.

"Mates" Book on an Australian bush poet, Henry Lawson. His family, his influences, his mates in the bush, his alcoholism. All of which effected his works, and none of which was unusual amongst mostly unmarried males in the bush at that time.

Wow. Where did that come from?
    A good novel occasionally requires imagination as well as curiosity from the reader.

My thoughts are that fiction is a waste of valuable time. I haven't sccessfully completed any fiction since probably my late 20's. But as a kid and a teen I would read 10 books a week Newspapers, magazines, anything at all including my great aunt's womens erotica, mostly written in the 1920's as it turned out.
    Her fiance did not survive WW1 and she never married.

Quote Originally Posted by Puttputt View Post
    A good novel occasionally requires imagination as well as curiosity from the reader.
    Always. And the reader requires that the effort be rewarded. It's a transaction.

Ambiguity can be legit, necessary, actually, as in John LeCarre and Graham Greene. Who is what? -- is part of the story, the espionage milieu. The reader has to deal with the same ambiguities as the characters.

Ambiguity can also be just plain sloppiness. Filler. First the author tells you a guy died. Then the author tells you the guy said something -- at a point after he was dead. You get to the end, and ask yourself, if this guy and what he said were left entirely out of the book, would it hurt? And the answer is, no, the book would have been better. If what he said was important, how about having him say it before he died?

This one would have been my fourth Faulkner book. The main thing I remember from the previous three is some interesting atmosphere and characters with interesting characteristics, and plots tortured by pointless incoherence. It really shows in the only one that left much of an impression, for that reason. The one about airplane racers. Could be that when Faulkner goes outside the rural south, the atmospherics aren't as strong, so the sloppiness stands out more.

Quote Originally Posted by gilberj View Post
    A few weeks ago I stopped I one of our local used book stores, just for a look....
    They are so rare these days! I'm jealous that you still have some that you like.

Always. And the reader requires that the effort be rewarded. It's a transaction.

Ambiguity can be legit, necessary, actually, as in John LeCarre and Graham Greene. Who is what? -- is part of the story, the espionage milieu. The reader has to deal with the same ambiguities as the characters.

Ambiguity can also be just plain sloppiness. Filler. First the author tells you a guy died. Then the author tells you the guy said something -- at a point after he was dead. You get to the end, and ask yourself, if this guy and what he said were left entirely out of the book, would it hurt? And the answer is, no, the book would have been better. If what he said was important, how about having him say it before he died?

This one would have been my fourth Faulkner book. The main thing I remember from the previous three is some interesting atmosphere and characters with interesting characteristics, and plots tortured by pointless incoherence. It really shows in the only one that left much of an impression, for that reason. The one about airplane racers. Could be that when Faulkner goes outside the rural south, the atmospherics aren't as strong, so the sloppiness stands out more.
    Well, Faulkner never was an easy read, and, if memory serves, Intruder in the Dust employs a level of stream of consciousness not seen in some of his earlier works.
    But so what?
    The beauty of the written word is you have the opportunity to stop and think about what you just read. The author has the ability to employ conflicting styles within the same work. The vast majority of stories we consume these days , whether stage, film, tv or radio, are produced for our eyes and ears (and increasingly that part of our brain that triggers endorphins). We’ve been conditioned to be suspicious of any work that doesn’t employ the traditional Hollywood story-telling arc. Any serious thinking we may want to do has to be suspended until the damn thing has ended.
    The fact that you’d read three other Faulkner novels tells me you’re a serious reader. Give it another shot. An occasional side trip into the ditch could be a more interesting journey than heading straight down the super highway.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    My thoughts are that fiction is a waste of valuable time. I haven't sccessfully completed any fiction since probably my late 20's. But as a kid and a teen I would read 10 books a week Newspapers, magazines, anything at all including my great aunt's womens erotica, mostly written in the 1920's as it turned out.
    Her fiance did not survive WW1 and she never married.
    I couldn't disagree more. I can only, and sadly, conclude that you are substantially poorer for having come to this misguided conclusion.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Wow. Without fiction, there would be no Shakespeare, Dickens, or Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Wow. Without fiction, there would be no Shakespeare, Dickens, or Bible.
    And Shakespeare's even good.

Quote Originally Posted by Puttputt View Post
    Give it another shot. An occasional side trip into the ditch could be a more interesting journey than heading straight down the super highway.
    Oh yeah, I'm not giving up on Faulkner, I'm just not in the mood.

If you are familiar with Ottessa Moshfegh, I think it's a good comparison. There's plenty of ambiguity, at times almost like she's daring you to call BS on it, but the writing is so good, you can't put it down. The ambiguity serves the plots.

Just finished a couple of novellas by Walter Mosley. 'Merge' & 'Disciple'. Every time I pick up some Mosley, I am reminded of his excellence. These two are jewels.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Just finished a couple of novellas by Walter Mosley. 'Merge' & 'Disciple'. Every time I pick up some Mosley, I am reminded of his excellence. These two are jewels.
    Oh, man. His Socrates Fortlow books have to be some of the best American novels of the last hundred years.

Oh yeah, I'm not giving up on Faulkner, I'm just not in the mood.

If you are familiar with Ottessa Moshfegh, I think it's a good comparison. There's plenty of ambiguity, at times almost like she's daring you to call BS on it, but the writing is so good, you can't put it down. The ambiguity serves the plots.
    Ambiguity has its place in writing. I use it in the first third of the novel I'm writing. I don't think of it as challenging a reader to call BS, but rather as an opportunity for readers who like to think about what they're reading to come to a point where they can say "Aha! I knew that." I also have dialog in two different foreign languages in several places, always English/foreign language. I do not immediately provide the translation of what was said (as Mathew's does in his Red Sparrow books). Again, I leave the dialog untranslated as an Easter Egg for the reader who is multilingual. Nonetheless, the ensuing dialog or action makes it perfectly clear what had been said in the foreign language.

I am jazzed about the novel -- the first draft is about 90% complete and I've already begun the second draft.

Anyway, read on folks.
    "The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

A Tess Monaghan mystery by Laura Lippman.

Been on a mystery tour lately: Peter Robinson, Michael Connelly, and Laura Lippman. Waiting for Tana French to publish another one.

If Laura Lippman is in good company with those three, I have to read her stuff.

I didn't read it cover-to-cover, but will. Already, though, I can recommend this excellent and refreshing book on economics.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...oufakis-review

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

^^^ Definitely a must read for non-economists who want to understand the economy. I found it fascinating.
    "The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by webishop14 View Post
    I am jazzed about the novel -- the first draft is about 90% complete and I've already begun the second draft.

Anyway, read on folks.
    Let us know when and where we can get it.

“The death of democracy” by Benjamin hett - chronicles the fall of the Weimar Republic. Interesting insight, with the admitted by the author caveat he’s looking at it from the view of today and somewhat applying it to the current world.

Ducks, Newburyport
    Assorted philosophers, for a course I'm taking
    Articles on stem cells, for a cause I'm teaching

One of the advantages of being a painfully slow reader is that when I find a book I really like, I get to enjoy it a lot longer. The last time this thread came up I had just started "Boy Swallows Universe". Now I am just finishing it and have to put it as maybe my favorite novel of the year.

Just finished Grant ( Chernow) now on to Hamilton...

Hardly have time to read the news press, it's spring and we are preparing the place for a hot, dry summer.