Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17262728 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading?

Default Re: What Are You Reading?

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Continuing to read Jim Butcher's surprisingly good 'Dresden Files' series.
    Oh, yeah, great fun. My only beef is that he hasn't published a new installment in five freakin' years.

Between him, Scott Lynch (whose Magnificent Bastards series is a marvellous romp, especially the first one), and Patrick Rothfuss (I cannot say enough good things about the Kingkiller Chronicles and ancillary works), a guy could grow old waiting.

What are you doing about it?

Sapiens, a brief history of Humankind.

Has some interesting points of how we can believe in stuff that does not actually (materially) exist, like Democracy, money and religion.

It is thought we shifted from primate animals to what we are when we became able to do this.
    PaulF

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    And some tie-ins, most notably his half-brother the "Lincoln Lawyer". Probably the best investigative novels written in the USA right now, IMNSHO.
    I agree with you about Connolly. Very fine stuff.

I love them both. If by chance you haven't read them, Stephenson's Cryptonomicon and Anathem are both outstanding. Seveneves has its moments too.

I've read all of these, and I highly recommend reading his Baroque Trilogy. Stephenson is a mighty research wonk. While Snow Crash is futuristic (almost) it's based on a massive amount of research on the Sumerian civilization. I cruised a bookstore recently and discovered he has some books out since I last picked up one of his. I must catch up.
    "The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

Oh, yeah, great fun. My only beef is that he hasn't published a new installment in five freakin' years.

Between him, Scott Lynch (whose Magnificent Bastards series is a marvellous romp, especially the first one), and Patrick Rothfuss (I cannot say enough good things about the Kingkiller Chronicles and ancillary works), a guy could grow old waiting.
    Yes... I'm coming to the end of the current offerings. Mercy too. <sigh>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    “The Noise of Time” by Julian Barnes.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I liked it, despite it being 90% internal monologue. Very little happens.

Still, it manages to be good. Barnes is a master of self-absorption.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Just finished the Wheel of Time series. Now on the second book of Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Saga.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM26 View Post
    Just finished the Wheel of Time series. Now on the second book of Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Saga.
    What do you think of the Mistborn series so far?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

What do you think of the Mistborn series so far?
    I like it. The magic mechanics are really unique.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM26 View Post
    I like it. The magic mechanics are really unique.
    I'll give it a go. I love reading, read quickly, and am therefore looking for more good stuff.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Tomorrow is National Book Lovers Day.

BIBLIOPHAGIST: An avid or voracious reader.

for 21 other interesting words about reading, I direct you to Treehugger if you are so inclined.

https://www.treehugger.com/culture/2...d-reading.html

Cheers,
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Beautiful Swimmers. Again.

Peace,
    Robert

'The 47th Samurai' -- Stephen Hunter.

I picked up a Hunter book randomly one day - thinking it might be good... but skeptical. The cover art hinted at one of those uber-macho guns and car-chase works. Lots of explosions and sexy wimmins... but little plotting or character development.

I was wrong. There IS some of that... but overall, this Bob Lee Swagger series is excellent.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Oh, crap.

And, The Indian In The Cupboard. Apparently, even big kids still like that one...

Peace,
    Robert

"Hand Tools, their Ways and Workings" (Aldren Watson.) Again.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Just finished "The Book of Dreams" by Nina George, who also wrote a couple of my recent favorites, "The Little French Bistro" and "The Little Paris Bookshop". "...Dreams" is about people in a coma and what they might think or sense and how they may communicate with others. In reading the epilogue, I think it may have stemmed from a recent personal loss by the author. Interesting, but just didn't click with me the way her other two did.

The Long Dark Tea Time Of The Soul by Douglas Adams.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Im about to start 'the silk roads'
    Ragnar B.

I read this two year ago! Who ever would have guessed it was timeless?

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

3446964C-74C4-4764-90F7-31ACE2A50B44.jpeg

Started the second of a couple of quick and entertaining “Beach Reads” as some call them. Quick and easy but don’t insult your intelligence (at least not mine ). They are set in the British Virgin Islands so if you’ve ever chartered a boat or visited there, the familiarities are fun (like the Bomba Charger or The Baths at Virgin Gorda). They are kind of formula murder mysteries, not something I read a lot of, but I found these kind of fun, probably because of the setting.

Just started 'Name of the Wind' -- Patrick Rothfuss. I love thick books. This one is starting out quite nicely.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Just started 'Name of the Wind' -- Patrick Rothfuss. I love thick books. This one is starting out quite nicely.
    I like thick books too, but unlike you I’m a slow, labored reader so thick books are a gamble for me. If I like one, it is a real pleasure to get buried in it. But if I start to bog down in it, it becomes a long chore that I will probably abandon. I envy those who read fast enough to read anything they want.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    I like thick books too, but unlike you I’m a slow, labored reader so thick books are a gamble for me. If I like one, it is a real pleasure to get buried in it. But if I start to bog down in it, it becomes a long chore that I will probably abandon. I envy those who read fast enough to read anything they want.
    My mother told me she read to me in the womb. Certainly a lot after I was born. So I caught the bug, and picked up reading, early. When I got tired of the same old books at our house, she took me to the library. Librarian had trouble believing I was reading that young. Eventually, I got to the point where they waived the limit on # of books checked out at once, cause I burned thru 'em so fast. Just always loved it. The reading & research was the part I most enjoyed about college & grad school.

I have one son who reads anything and everything... and fast. Always has. The other never really got into it until the last few years. I told him the more he read, the easier it'd be, and the faster he'd get. Wouldn't be surprised if that were true - even at your age. That newfound enjoyment of reading helped him decide to go back to college and get his business degree... to fill in the theoretical side of what he's learned by the seat of his pants.

I know what you mean about getting 'immersed' in a book. I read in bed at night. Usually it's the glide-path to sleep. Sometimes, with some books, I find myself looking up and suddenly it's 3 am. Or dawn. That's part of what's been so cool about all the 'series' books I've been reading lately. It's kinda like One Massive Book.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

When you've finished the second one, don't miss the novella The Slow Regard of Silent Things. It's touching and beautiful.

Just finished The Hydrogen Sonata. Iain Banks. My first dip into the Culture.

Meh. Ok, but not quite me.

Andy
    "We were schooner-rigged and rakish, with a long and lissome hull ..."

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    Just finished The Hydrogen Sonata. Iain Banks. My first dip into the Culture.

Meh. Ok, but not quite me.

Andy
    I'll have you know that my family loved that book, and you have mortally insulted every single one of my ancestors (except for that one Homo habilis, he didn't like Banks at all). Pistols at dawn!

(Nah, just kidding. I can see how SF Banks might not be to everyone's taste - and I'm told literary Banks is even more divisive.)

Thick books? I'd recommend Neal Stephenson's Baroque Trilogy. Excellent read, well researched. 900+ pages each.
    "The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by webishop14 View Post
    Thick books? I'd recommend Neal Stephenson's Baroque Trilogy. Excellent read, well researched. 900+ pages each.
    Read it twice now, love it. Have you read Fall yet? I am wondering how it compares as some of his I find hit or miss. I thought Seven Eves was great but Anathem not so much.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    Read it twice now, love it. Have you read Fall yet? I am wondering how it compares as some of his I find hit or miss. I thought Seven Eves was great but Anathem not so much.
    Haven't read FALL yet. I agree with you about Anathem and Seveneves.

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    Just goes to show how tastes and expectations differ. I loved Anathem, but was not hugely impressed by Seveneves.

I'll have you know that my family loved that book.
    Dear Flying Orca < and family> please don't misunderstand... the Space Opera 'Genre' certainly has a place in modern SF, as it has had for the best part of the nine decades or so of classic SF. But I think other genres work for me just that little bit better.

I'm more hard, short-range, SF, I think.

(// Tell you what...Got an idea. Please remind this of this thread in March, 2021. Or I will fire it up. Promise?!)

Andy
    "We were schooner-rigged and rakish, with a long and lissome hull ..."

I have several on the go at the moment. Just finishing the wrap-up & consolidation chapters of a book on the history of the Templar Knights and their connection to Freemasonry (the book debunks any connection), just starting a book about the development of the modern defense strategy of the Canadian Armed Forces between the end of WWII and the unification of the army, navy, and air force in the 1970's, and having a thrash at a book on the design factors of high-speed sailing cats & tris.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    I have several on the go at the moment. Just finishing the wrap-up & consolidation chapters of a book on the history of the Templar Knights and their connection to Freemasonry (the book debunks any connection), just starting a book about the development of the modern defense strategy of the Canadian Armed Forces between the end of WWII and the unification of the army, navy, and air force in the 1970's, and having a thrash at a book on the design factors of high-speed sailing cats & tris.
    Which Templar/Mason book? I’ve read a lot of them. Weird cats, the Templar.

Peace,
    Robert

From Amazon's blurb about the book: "Robert Lomas is a real-life Dr. Robert Langdon! Co-author of The Hiram Key, the bestseller that Dan Brown notes as his inspiration for the Roslin Chapel–set climax of The Da Vinci Code, is a renowned freemasonry historian and truth-seeker. In Turning the Templar Key, Lomas reveals the origins of the Knights Templar and the historical context for Dan Brown’s thrillers.

Lomas investigates the facts, challenges the conspiracy theorists, and guides you on an inspiring and complex quest to uncover the truth, explain the motives, and document—for the very first time—the genesis of the Templar Freemasonry.
    "
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post

From Amazon's blurb about the book: "Robert Lomas is a real-life Dr. Robert Langdon! Co-author of The Hiram Key, the bestseller that Dan Brown notes as his inspiration for the Roslin Chapel–set climax of The Da Vinci Code, is a renowned freemasonry historian and truth-seeker. In Turning the Templar Key, Lomas reveals the origins of the Knights Templar and the historical context for Dan Brown’s thrillers.

Lomas investigates the facts, challenges the conspiracy theorists, and guides you on an inspiring and complex quest to uncover the truth, explain the motives, and document—for the very first time—the genesis of the Templar Freemasonry.
    "
    Ah, yes. Hiram Abif. Lomas isn’t hard to read, at all.

I love that stuff.

Peace,
    Robert

I'm more hard, short-range, SF, I think.
    Ooooh. Have you read Peter Watts? Most of his stuff is available for free on his website. The Rifters trilogy is insanely good, though disturbing; ditto Blindsight.

https://rifters.com/real/shorts.htm

If you are familiar with the John Carpenter film The Thing, Watts' short The Things is a good place to start.

Please remind this of this thread in March, 2021.
    I'm sure it will still be going, but... what happens in March 2021?