Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10192021 LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading?

Default Re: What Are You Reading?

I read 'Revolution Song' by Russel Shorto. Its translated in Dutch for Shorto is quite popular here since he wrote 'Amsterdam'. I find I am moving away from fiction to history (and cookbooks) and I think I will reread 'Revolution Song' again in summer for its especially interesting now the very institutions the Founding Fathers created are threatened by politicians in power. I have it as ebook so it is easy to take with me when sailing a small boat.

"The Golden Spruce" by John Vaillant. Liked it so much I got a copy of "The Tiger" also by him. One of the best non-fiction writers I have read in the last ten years.
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

From the flyleaf:

"During his adventurous years at sea in the 1830's and '40's Benjamin Doane kept a journal. Years later, when Ben, now a retired sea captain, wanted his story recorded, his son Benjamin, a court reporter in New York City, put his shorthand skills to good use in the task of chronicling his father's adventures. Sunday after Sunday, well-thumbed journal in-hand, father and son sat together and "wrote" Following the Sea.

Over the years the son refined the manuscript and eventually passed it on to his own son, also named Benjamin. Grandson Benjamin always dreamed that someday it would be published but was not able to make his dream a reality.

Finally in 1983, Heather Doane, the daughter of a forth-generation Benjamin, discovered the yellowed manuscript in the attic of her family home in Barrington, Nova Scotia. She read it at one sitting and knew that she had found a treasure.

In 1838 a fourteen-year-old boy left home on the rugged coast of Nova Scotia and went to sea. His name was Benjamin Doane. In Following the Sea he tells us his story in his own words.

Doane's account of his early years at sea has all the sweep and drama of a fine seafaring tale. Its language is vivid and direct: It tells of the perilous pursuit of whales, visits to exotic places, storms at sea, and sometimes incredible physical hardship; there is even a dash of romance.

Ben Doan's story is remarkable because it has survived as an eye-witness account of life at sea in the 1800's and because it is told so stirringly. But Following the Sea is important because Ben Doane's life was not unique. It paralleled the experience of thousands of young en who went to sea during those difficult years as much from necessity as for the lure of the sea. It allows us to touch the fabric of their lives, and perhaps in doing so, to understand our own more clearly.

Doane describes in detail his voyages on the whaling ship Athol from 1845 to 1848, in which he circumnavigated the globe.

The salt still runs in the Doane bloodline - I sailed a couple of times with Ben Doane's great-great-grandson Warren, who was an avid offshore sailboat racer in the 1970's and 1980's. The family still lives in Barrington, NS.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

The Corps series by WEB Griffin
    Last edited by ccmanuals; 05-14-2018 at 10:27 AM.
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

I gave my copy away a few years back, but just found another at Goodwill for a few bucks - 'Sailing Back In Time' - by Maria Coffey. An inspiring tale of the British Columbia sailors/characters/gurus Sharie & Allen Farrell. Well worth a read.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

A novel about Wagner’s Tristan and Isolde, alternating timelines between the premiere in Wagner’s time and contemporary singers in a New York production. I also purchased the von Karajan recording of Tristan to listen to while I read. I usually shy away from Wagner as too heavy for my very amateur understanding of his music. But I’m finding it unexpectedly beautiful.

F20F1318-726B-41B8-9F19-693463E9ABD4.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    A novel about Wagner’s Tristan and Isolde, alternating timelines between the premiere in Wagner’s time and contemporary singers in a New York production. I also purchased the von Karajan recording of Tristan to listen to while I read. I usually shy away from Wagner as too heavy for my very amateur understanding of his music. But I’m finding it unexpectedly beautiful.

F20F1318-726B-41B8-9F19-693463E9ABD4.jpeg
    "I'm told Wagner's music is much better than it sounds."

-- Edgar Wilson "Bill" Nye.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    "I'm told Wagner's music is much better than it sounds."

-- Edgar Wilson "Bill" Nye.
    ”Wagner has some great moments,
    and some dreadful quarter hours.”

- attributed to several, depending on where you look.

Towles' first novel was set in NYC, starring a sassy young woman. This one is set in The Metropole Hotel in Moscow, with an aged aristocrat who is confined to the premises. Very enjoyable.

Given all the serial wowsers posing as writers, it's refreshing to find a novelist who has a success with his first book and doesn't repeat himself.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Just finished The Handmaid's Tale, Netflix or someone have a show based on it. Interesting twist at the end of the book.
    Now onto Mr Midshipman Easy.
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Tome on repairing ply dinghy's. Not that I don't know what needs to be done and how to do it , but vainly I'm hoping for a less complicated solution………….

IS that by Spooner out of Lysdexia?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post

Towles' first novel was set in NYC, starring a sassy young woman. This one is set in The Metropole Hotel in Moscow, with an aged aristocrat who is confined to the premises. Very enjoyable.

Given all the serial wowsers posing as writers, it's refreshing to find a novelist who has a success with his first book and doesn't repeat himself.

I'm also reading a fun little sci-fi - 'Arabella of Mars', by David Levine. The conceit here is that during the time of Victorian England... we have colonized mars. Quite enjoyable.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I find it interesting to discover what I'm NOT reading, as a result of what I have read. I've recently read some quality stuff: Faulkner (Sound and Fury), Doer (All the light we cannot see). I then read (all the way through, sadly) an unfortunate attempt to pick up the banner of "The girl with the dragon tattoo," a sad take by a magazine journalist. As a magazine article, the story would have been ok had he had an editor riding herd on him. From this I learned how to recognize drek. Learned how to stop reading after the first chapter or two. Like Baldacci (The Fix). I'm now embarrassed to say that he had been on my A list. I do know that he can write a decent novel -- I suppose that he's just fallen into the Clancy trap.

I've also recently read McPhee's "Draft No. 4," as recommended here. In the past year I'd begun pecking away sporadically at what I'd like to think could be a novel. Thus, I was able to really understand what he was writing about in his Draft No. 4 essay. With some sections, I've actually gotten to Draft No. 3, and am looking forward to getting to No. 4. I've revised my current living agenda: we've just about wrapped up the intense portion of my wife's assault, so now the current fantasy is that I'll put a hard rush on finishing up the trivial details that are holding up the dinghy build. Then I'll focus on said novel. I'm really liking how it's developing its own legs.

Eric Larson’s dead wake. Sinking of the Lusitania. Hard to imagine people high fiving over killing 1500 men, women and a load of children but the monsters did.

Just picked up one from the bibliotheque that I'm excited to delve into: 'The Fish Market: inside the big-money battle for the ocean and your dinner plate'. I think maybe someone here recommended it. Thanks in advance!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Just picked up one from the bibliotheque that I'm excited to delve into: 'The Fish Market: inside the big-money battle for the ocean and your dinner plate'. I think maybe someone here recommended it. Thanks in advance!
    Did you ever read Four Fish? I liked it. Let me know if this book is good. I like this type stuff.

Peace,
    Dr. Read Richardson (I Know, It’s A Stretch...)

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Did you ever read Four Fish? I liked it. Let me know if this book is good. I like this type stuff.

Peace,
    Dr. Read Richardson (I Know, It’s A Stretch...)
    I have not - but will add it to the list. Thanks! Kurlansky's 'Cod' is also worth the time.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I have not - but will add it to the list. Thanks! Kurlansky's 'Cod' is also worth the time.
    Noted, and appreciated. I’ll check it out. Thank you.

Peace,
    Robert

Oh... and that reminds me how much I enjoyed McPhee's book about shad: 'The Founding Fish'.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Just finished this, A quick read, very interesting! very Anglocentric, From the first precision bore of a cannon to 30 billion transistors in a space the size of your fingernail...

"IBM researchers have announced a brand new way of manufacturing computer chips, one that will see 30 billion transistors packed into a space the size of a fingernail, and give a serious boost to the processing power we need."

Hinting that computing is in fact approaching the human brain....we shall see.

PaulF

1984 yet again. And the same for the successors to Capricornia, Alexis Wright's Carpenteria, Plains of Promise and and Tracker Tilmouth.

Only halfway thru this but I’m really enjoying it. Might be my favorite fiction of the year so far. Light sci-fi/time travel with a good self deprecating sense of humor. Don’t even remember how I found it or care what the reviews are. I like it.

2A368F44-1EED-4CB6-BDA9-03EFF73C6D16.jpg

Just finished a nice, simple police procedural featuring a K-9 team. 'Hunting Hour' by Margaret Mizushima. Part of a series. I'll probably read more of hers, when I'm in such a mood.

Thanks, Ron, I ordered that one.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

A first novel by a mixed-blood Cheyenne, about urban Indians.

Gripping and very well written, so far.

"Leisure Reading at an All Time Low in US"
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3adde85f8372

Not surprising, but sad nonetheless. C'mon people, that's what boats and quiet harbors are for. Get a good book.

Thanks, Ron, I ordered that one.
    Hope it works for you. Kind of a guilty pleasure light read.

Just finished The Fish Market - by local author Lee Van der Voo. Having grown up at the mouth of the Columbia, and watching the transformation (and degradation) of various fisheries, I found it quite interesting. But anyone who's interested in seafood... or markets/capitalism... will likely find it fascinating.

http://www.thefishmarketbook.com/

"What a great book! Journalist Lee van der Voo investigates the provenance of wild fish and the dismaying gentrification of the high seas, weaving the wonky details of politics and economics with big-hearted portraits of those who work the seas. The Fish Market is a fascinating addition to the literature of food." ―Kristin Ohlson, author of The Soil Will Save Us

"Everyone who eats seafood, is interested in the ocean, or just wants to know how our natural resources are divvied up needs to read The Fish Market... Van der Voo deftly weaves the stories of fishermen, fish mongers, and Wall Street with the orchestrated campaigns of the Charles Koch Foundation, the Walton Family Foundation, the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation and NOAA, and how they paid NGOs, scientists, and celebrity chefs to support their cause. You will never see seafood in the same light again." ―Kevin M. Bailey, marine scientist and author of Billion-Dollar Fish and The Western Flyer

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

And here's one I'm looking forward to reading --

The Monarchy of Fear: A Philosopher Looks at Our Political Crisis

https://www.amazon.com/Monarchy-Fear.../dp/1501172492
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

A dystopian Navajo thriller. Written by a really truly Navajo.

Just a couple chapters in - Nussbaum's 'Monarchy of Fear' promises to be the best thing I've read in a while. Subtitled, 'A Philosopher Looks At Our Political Crisis'... but it seems so far to have more to do with developing a worldview that accepts the core truth of a world born into fear, and lays out ways to grow out of that fear into constructive work... and hope. We'll see if it fulfills that promise.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Read a review and it sounded good.

'Tis. Very.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Read a review and it sounded good.

'Tis. Very.
    Isn't 'Scotland' a made-up place? <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Isn't 'Scotland' a made-up place? <G>
    The whisky's grand.

Have you ever tasted English whisky?

The plans for the model of Jolie Brise which arrived today from the UK in the form of a CD. Very comprehensive, I may build 2. One a plug model as a test hull before the planked version.