Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 817181928 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading?

Default Re: What Are You Reading?

Obama's #10 is All the King's Men! God, that's a great book.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

I'm reading a bit of 'adolescent' fiction - which is smart, funny, entertaining as heck, and a riptide of a yarn -- David Clawson's "My Fairy Godmother is a Drag Queen".
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

^ A bit more nerdy than that

Combining archaeology and genetics to explore when and where food and animals were first domesticated.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Speaking of adolescents, I read a Wrinkle in Time over the weekend, I think the new movie comes out next month. I had forgotten the God component at the end of the book, wonder if it will be int he movie?

Lazy weekend, also finished Verily, a New Hope. If you are a Star Wars nerd, know your Shakespeare references, and appreciate iambic pentameter, then this book is for you. It is a fun quick read.

Started the Milagro Beanfield War, seems everyone has read it but me.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    Speaking of adolescents, I read a Wrinkle in Time over the weekend, I think the new movie comes out next month. I had forgotten the God component at the end of the book, wonder if it will be int he movie?

Lazy weekend, also finished Verily, a New Hope. If you are a Star Wars nerd, know your Shakespeare references, and appreciate iambic pentameter, then this book is for you. It is a fun quick read.

Started the Milagro Beanfield War, seems everyone has read it but me.
    Sort of a, “No, iamb your foot.” type read, then?

Peace,
    Puck Solo

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Puck Solo
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Just started "A Wizard of Earthsea". Sad in a way that an author's death makes them so much more popular.

How Democracies Die, by Steven Levitsky and Daniel Ziblatt. History professors studying the breakdown of democracy in other countries note a disturbing parallel here at home.
    "The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

Still working on The Odyssey. He's back home and ready to rock!

The translation is quite plain, perhaps even slightly flat in spots. Wilson knows a lot about the text and the language, but doesn't have an ear for poetry.

This is next up—

We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Clive James, essays.

Just finished the latest from Tim O'Mara - Dead Red - a police procedural/mystery with a main character who is an urban teacher/ex-cop/'amateur' investigator. All three of his have been quite good.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I'm reading a bit of 'adolescent' fiction - which is smart, funny, entertaining as heck, and a riptide of a yarn -- David Clawson's "My Fairy Godmother is a Drag Queen".
    Finished this last night. It's really good. Tucked in among all the drama and hilarity... it's sneaky wise.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Just had a new book recommended. Politics/economics. Sounds quite interesting

Richard V. Reeves - Dream Hoarders

http://bostonreview.net/class-inequa...top-20-percent

Here's a graph illustrating the phenomenon he's focusing on - the rise of the 'upper middle class' (top quintile) compared to the bottom 80% --

Last edited by David G; 01-25-2018 at 08:28 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Robert Zelazny, The Great Book of Amber. It seems to be one of those chaos and the super villain/hero archetype series of novellas ala Michael Moorcock. Now on the third of ten.

Salmon Rushdie, "The Golden House"
    Great writer and I'm interested to find out how it goes.
    Tom L

This evening, I've been reading an architecture book. 'Home By Design' from Sarah Susanka. I've read this one several times in recent months. I wish I'd hurry up and win the Lottery, or Publisher's Clearinghouse, or some danged thing... so I could put some of those pattern Language schemes into action.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Just started “Artemis” by Andy Weir, the author of “The Martian”. This one’s about a colony on the moon. I think it will be good but I’m really pissed at myself over something. I read the first chapter assuming that the first person narrator was a man. When I finally realized my mistake, I reread the chapter to see I had missed several obvious clues. In other words, this was not a case of the author trying to trick the reader, but rather my own blind bias which I thought I was above. I hate it when that happens.

Currently reading this:

The first time I have read of how all of the human family tree is connected up, Sapien, Neanderthal, Denisovan and our predecessor types. A good read both covered in depth and well set out.
    The author then goes on to look at the origins of all of the religions creation myths and the origins of their gods. So many similarities, so much reinvention of the wheel.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Not exactly a relaxed, escapist sort of thing.

I’m enjoying this one. It starts a bit slow, but I’ve found my pace a few pages in.
    BA1856EA-651B-4C78-A9C2-CD9B0B7889E8.jpg
    Last edited by CK 17; 02-11-2018 at 09:16 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

The Lost Order by Steve Berry.

It's a fascinating yarn, told by a decent storyteller. The author's flaws are sometimes a bit distracting... but I still really enjoyed it. Some fascinating history of the Knights of the Golden Circle - the much larger, wealthier, and more ambitious precursor to the KuKluxKlan.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Just finishing "Artemis" by Andy Weir, the guy who wrote "The Martian". This is about a moon colony but nowhere nearly as good as Martian. In fact I would call this bad. Dialog is all junior high smart a$$ed, and the main character is just not likeable. In fact difficult to even understand what the character is really like. Hard to believe it's the same author. He does seem to know his extra terrestrial physics tho.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Just finishing "Artemis" by Andy Weir, the guy who wrote "The Martian". This is about a moon colony but nowhere nearly as good as Martian. In fact I would call this bad. Dialog is all junior high smart a$$ed, and the main character is just not likeable. In fact difficult to even understand what the character is really like. Hard to believe it's the same author. He does seem to know his extra terrestrial physics tho.
    Perhaps what you have read was much like what Red Storm Rising was for Tom Clancy: just his research notes for The Hunt for Red October packaged up for publication at the insistence of the publisher. I used to say that Harper Lee and Tom Clancy had something in common: they both were one novel writers, but Lee had the good sense to recognize it and stopped writing. Sadly, something happened to cause an early draft of Mockingbird to be published as a separate novel. I wouldn't be surprised if her publisher was responsible.
    "The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

Did anyone else have to look up eupraxsophy?

Jasus, what a jawbreaker! Put it on a poster and no one will come to your meeting.

"The term eupraxsophy was first coined and introduced by Paul Kurtz in 1988 to characterize a secular orientation to life that stands in contrast to religion. Derived from three ancient Greek roots—eu (good, well); praxis (practice, conduct), and sophia (wisdom)—eupraxsophy literally means “good practice and wisdom.” Drawing upon philosophy, science, and ethics, eupraxsophy offers a thoroughly secular moral vision, which respects the place of human values in the context of the natural world and presents an empirically responsible yet hopeful picture of the human situation and the cosmos in which we abide."

In any old event, I finished Autumn by Ali Smith ( a gift), which was mostly about how brilliantly creative Ali Smith is. The mere act of telling a story is beneath her; the poor characters seem like movable props. If you dote on Virginia Woolf and Joyce's Ulysses and Finnegan's Wake, you might enjoy it. It is rather short (mercifully so, perhaps).

I'm halfway through another Shetland mystery, which is a relief.

Cleeves is good with scenes, characters, and dialogue. She seems to use the same outline for every book, e.g. there is always a second murder halfway in. In this one, there are boats mentioned, Shetland yoles, and a builder of same, but they don't appear in much detail.

(It'd be cool to read a boatbuilding mystery where some hapless bugger got offed with a drawknife. Or a spokeshave. Hmmmm.)

Quote Originally Posted by webishop14 View Post
    Perhaps what you have read was much like what Red Storm Rising was for Tom Clancy: just his research notes for The Hunt for Red October packaged up for publication at the insistence of the publisher. I used to say that Harper Lee and Tom Clancy had something in common: they both were one novel writers, but Lee had the good sense to recognize it and stopped writing. Sadly, something happened to cause an early draft of Mockingbird to be published as a separate novel. I wouldn't be surprised if her publisher was responsible.
    No, this was published in November 2017. It’s more like a rushed story to take advantage of his popularity from “The Martian”.

Too busy, building, boats, garden etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    No, this was published in November 2017. It’s more like a rushed story to take advantage of his popularity from “The Martian”.
    But that is exactly what Red Storm Rising was: a hurried publication to take advantage of the success of Red October -- Clancy had nothing other than his research notes, so he cobbled together a plot (his weak point) dressing it in his notes. The publishers put money ahead of quality. These days if a writer wishes to get published he needs to demonstrate to a publisher that he already has a second book in the can. They don't make money off of one novel writers.

Just finished 'The Devotion of Suspect X'. Translated from Japanese. Apparently the big best-selling Japanese author -- Keigo Higashino. A real change of pace for me. A murder mystery, but very calm, slow-paced, and heady. Nice plotting, with mucho misdirection.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

The Schooner Era & Harpoon Swordfishing by J. Donald Doucette

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

'The Fault In Our Stars' by John Green.

Don't be fooled by the fact that it's a 'young adult/coming of age' novel. It's also very much more. One of the best books I've read in a while.

"This is a book that breaks your heart - not by wearing it down, but by making it bigger, and bigger, until it bursts" -- The Atlantic
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

The life of Sir William Parker, Bart, C.C.B. 1781-1866

The longest lived of Nelson's Captains.
    "Admiral of the FleetSir William Parker, 1st Baronet, GCB (1 December 1781 – 13 November 1866), was a Royal Navy officer. As a captain's servant he took part in the Battle of The Glorious First of June in June 1794 during the French Revolutionary Wars and, as a captain, he participated in the capture of the French ships Marengo and Belle Poule at the Action of 13 March 1806 during the Napoleonic Wars. He was detached on an independent command on the Tagus in September 1831 with a mission to protect British interests during the Portuguese Civil War. As Commander-in-chief of the East Indies and China Station, he provided naval support at various actions between 1841 and 1842 during the First Opium War. Appointed Commander-in-Chief, Mediterranean Fleet in February 1845, he was briefly (for a week) First Naval Lord in the First Russell ministry from 13 July 1846 to 24 July 1846 but gave up the role due to ill health before returning to his command with the Mediterranean Fleet."

2 volumes seemingly stolen from the Brooklyn Public Library. Complete with documentation of his prizes, and their monetary value, and some of those delightful watercolour sketches that naval officers of the time were taught to do to document events.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Just had a new book recommended. Politics/economics. Sounds quite interesting

Richard V. Reeves - Dream Hoarders

http://bostonreview.net/class-inequa...top-20-percent

Here's a graph illustrating the phenomenon he's focusing on - the rise of the 'upper middle class' (top quintile) compared to the bottom 80% --
    I read most of the text at the link. He seems to be saying what I have been saying for a couple years here. He calls the 19% below the 1% "upper middle class." I use the term "rich passing as middle class." The graph you posted is similar to one I frequently refer to at https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2...rica-in-graphs

I am reading stuff on www.ribbonfarm.com . It looks like the opinions there might lead me to some new thoughts.
    Life is complex.

"The first time I have read of how all of the human family tree is connected up, Sapien, Neanderthal, Denisovan and our predecessor types. A good read both covered in depth and well set out."

And aint that a moveable feast? Changes all the time, timeline gets pushed further back, the 'cavemen' weren't etc. etc.

But that's science I guess, research, provisional conclusions, more research, etc. etc.

Pure entertainment.

The Whereabouts of Eneas McNulty by Sebastian Barry (for the second time - clearing out vast numbers of books does get you re-reading stuff)

Barry is a wonderful writer.
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)