Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 40495051 LastLast
Results 1,716 to 1,750 of 1768

Thread: What Are You Reading?

Default Re: What Are You Reading?

Would you believe a novel, 'The story of Edgar Sawtelle' by David Wroblewski.
    I find it every bit as engaging as the blurb on the back says it is.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Finished 'Every Cloak Rolled In Blood' by James Lee Burke last night. He claims it's his best novel. Maybe, but it's certainly another HomeRun. Brilliant writing, with a lot to say.
    Burk is at the top of my favorites list. This is one I've not read yet--must order, must order.
    He was one of the most supremely stupid men I have ever met. He taught me a great deal.

Finished 'Fifty Words For Rain' by Asha Lemmie.

From the title, I thought it would be one of those ultra-literary explorations of not very interesting characters shallow feelings about life.

Turned out it's far from that. It is fresh, beautifully crafted, wise, engaging, and sweet. A debut novel, but you'd never know it.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Another debut book -- 'The Drifter' by Nicholas Petrie. Excellent!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Shiela in the Wind

The Art Of Cabinet Making by Krenov.

Mark Greaney, Dead Eye. Book 4 of the Gray Man series.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Ken Follett, Never.
    A bit formulaic, he has written better.

Pete
    The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.

Reading some Bernard Cornwell recently, The Last Kingdom-era stuff.

I want to read his book on Agincourt.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

Finally finished 'The Dawn of Everything'. It's thick. It's densely packed. And it's quite challenging. But it's a very well researched rethink of human history and human nature.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Ken Follett, Never.
    A bit formulaic, he has written better.

Pete
    I consider myself to be a Ken Follett fan, but this book was a big disappointment. Not even close to his usual high standard.

Jeff C
    Don’t expect much, and you won’t be disappointed…

Blockchain Revolution: How the Technology Behind Bitcoin Is Changing Money, Business, and the World
    by Don Tapscott, Alex Tapscott. My plan for the nearest future is to get a crypto license from https://rue.ee/ but for that I would like to have a clear understanding of crypto market, blockchain technology and different cryptocurrencies.
    Last edited by mike9199; 07-22-2022 at 03:48 PM.

Strandbeest - Lena Herzog and Theo Jansen

Weighty
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Found another real gem. 'The Saints of Swallow Hill' - Donna Everhart. A most excellent tale set in the Antebellum South, in the midst of the whole 'naval stores' harvesting industry. Longleaf Pine & turpentine. Some dramatic events told in an understated fashion by an accomplished author.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

the selfish gene….again

Started 'Cold Silence' by Toni Anderson. First attempt at her stuff. Yikes!!!

I like it when authors regard their writing as a challenge. In this case, unfortunately, she seems to regard the challenge as how much hyperbolic over-acting she can cram onto one page. I made it thru chapter 2 before my gag reflex wouldn't be stilled. A prolific and NYT bestselling author... from the 'clickbait' school of literature. <sigh>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Needed a summer escape after days working on the boat. Settled on Andy Weir’s “Hail Mary”. I like it.

Picked up a well-worn edition of Atlas Shrugged last week @ local library. About 1/3rd through it so far.

Read The Fountainhead back in high school, never got around to AS 'till now.
    When the people wanted the Constitution amended, it was amended. When the elites wanted the Constitution amended, but the people did not, that is called democracy."

Thomas Sowell, JWR August 3, 2022

I picked up "Isaac's Storm" by Erik Larson.

Its about the great hurricane of 1900 that hit Galveston, Texas in the US. But in addition to the description of that specific storm, there's an interesting history of hurricane science through the centuries and how it affected navies. Very readable.

I was a sophomore at Humboldt when I read Atlas Shrugged. I was sick over Christmas break, so had the time to read it. When I was finished, I wanted to climb out of my sick-bed, buy a plane ticket to New York so I could slap that woman silly for having so determinedly insulted my intelligence.

I may have posted a similar screed in the past, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
    He was one of the most supremely stupid men I have ever met. He taught me a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by webishop14 View Post
    I was a sophomore at Humboldt when I read Atlas Shrugged. I was sick over Christmas break, so had the time to read it. When I was finished, I wanted to climb out of my sick-bed, buy a plane ticket to New York so I could slap that woman silly for having so determinedly insulted my intelligence.

I may have posted a similar screed in the past, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
    I have to admit that my 15 YO self found the meritocracy concept appealing. By the time I was 18, I'd figured out what utter hogwash Ms. Rand was spewing.

What can I say, it's been a long strange trip...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

A pile of 15 year old WB magazines………….

South Sea Vagabonds by JW Wray
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

John Lewis memoir . . . I was reminded of how radical SNCC was portrayed back in the 60's,

when in fact they were fully committed to Gandhian non-violence.

Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media by Edward S. Herman, Noam Chomsky.
    The other thing which I read is this website https://writinguniverse.com/free-ess...es/travelling/. I've been traveling for the last 15 years , visited many and many countries and never wrote anything about it somewhere. I would love to share with other people some of my adventures and still don't know how
    exactly I want to do it.
    Last edited by mike9199; 08-22-2022 at 06:23 PM.

Another Peter Ash thriller by Nick Petrie: "Tear It Down".

Good stuff. A real page-turner.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Back Blast, by Mark Greiney. 5th book of the Grey Man series.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Finished last night -- 'The Forgiving Kind' by Donna Everhart. Beautifully written, and it starts out sweet and cheerful. Then a tragedy peels back the fetid layers of post-WWII rural N. Carolina society. Things just get grimmer and grimmer. Excellent ending, though. While it wasn't a pleasant read at all, I was glad I stuck with it.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Just got done with three Kim Stanley Robinson: Galileo's Dream, New York 2140, The Ministry For The Future. All recommended.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

Reading "Polish for Dummies" (for obvious reasons). Taking plenty of notes as I go, and stopping to quiz myself and construct flashcards to carry with me.

Today was plural nouns in nominative case, and nouns in accusative case. Also getting into perfective vs. imperfective verbs.

It's interesting stuff. Every noun has a gender (just like Latin and German), but masculine nouns are also classified as either animate or non-animate. (There are also masculine personal nouns which "Polish for Dummies" doesn't teach at all). Verbs and adjectives are inflected to match the case of the noun, BUT the adjective endings are different from the noun endings.

Combined with massive doses of Duolingo's purely rote learning (and audio playback), this is proving to be a very powerful way to learn a language quickly.

Soon it will be time for me to switch from "Nie mówię po polsku" (I don't speak Polish) to "Słabo mowię po polsku--bardzo słabo" (I speak Polish poorly--very poorly).

Fun times!

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by sandtown View Post
    John Lewis memoir . . . I was reminded of how radical SNCC was portrayed back in the 60's,

when in fact they were fully committed to Gandhian non-violence
    That was (and sadly stillis) radical. About as radical as it gets.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Just finished reading "The House of Dudley" by Joanne Paul. Recommended if you are interested in the Tudor period.
    https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/3092.../9780241349823

A review from Amazon:-
    The Dudley family very rarely get a fair deal when it comes to their portrayals. John Dudley is often the villain in the story’s of Lady Jane Grey and Mary I and Robert Dudley in particular has suffered from negative propaganda even before Leicester’s Commonwealth was published in the reign of Queen Elizabeth I. Dr Joanne Paul’s new biography of the entire family from the death of Edmund Dudley’s first wife Anne and right up until the death of his grandson Ambrose Dudley. Along the way we see the rise-fall-rise again of this family often at the heart of the Tudor court and how differently each generation was affected by the ever changing wheel of fortune of 16th century England.

Joanne Paul’s biography is simply superb. It gives a fair and impartial look at this family and I encourage anyone with an interest in the Tudors to read. One thing I really loved about this biography was how Joanne brilliantly sets the scene of new chapters and events. Describing the details and helps place us right in the story which helps readers get more of an understanding and appreciation of the events taking place, but more importantly humanising the individuals we are reading about. It is so easy, being separated by centuries to forget the people we read about we real people, with the common human feelings of love, loss, survival and hope. Add in to that the ruthless world in which they were living in and we can understand - but not always sympathise - with the actions taken by various Dudley family members.

From Edmund Dudley’s unpopular rise under Henry VII to John Dudley attempt to place his daughter-in-law Lady Jane Grey on the throne to Robert Dudley close friendship with Queen Elizabeth I, we see the families attempts to survive and climb back into favour - thanks to the female members - through a fair and balanced biography packed with exquisite detail. Like Estelle Paranque, Joanne Paul superbly makes academic history to all
    Nick

"Good Book" Depends very much on personal taste. But I agree with some of your selection, so our tastes must overlap somewhat.

Pete Brassett UK Scottish Crime stories I binge read the whole series

Marsali Taylor Shetland Sailing Murder Mystery Series I usually don't read fiction. But WOW! If you like sailing, these are the murder mysteries for you. I'm on her eighth book. She's also a sailor with her own boat.
    David Satter www.sattersrestoration.com
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" Ben Franklin

Touching My Father’s Soul by Jamling Tenzing Norgay.