Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 16252627 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading?

Default Re: What Are You Reading?

I am currently reading various books on adolescent development, ADHT, FASD. We have taken on a 14 yo Foster boy that is really smart, but all wired up wrong. Quite an adventure.

Several of Michael Connelly's Hieronymous Bosch detective novels.

Carl Sagan's Cosmos.

He was worried about us screwing up the planet with AGW even then.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    There's a detective named Hieronymous Bosch?

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post

He goes by "Harry." There's more than a dozen of these books. They are a super summer "beach" read, or even an excellent slow winter night read. Connelly does a good job.

I just started a book by Sam Kass, Eat a Little better. He was the White house chef during the Obama years. A very good read and good recipes.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

You're missing out on some good reading.
    "The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

Just finished rereading A Canticle For Liebowitz. Now rereading Snow Crash. My "to read" stack now contains Bruce Duffy's The World As I Found It, Perspectives on Projective Geometry, and Riemannian Geometry. By the time I finish, I'm hoping that Michael Connelly will have finished his latest Bosch novel.
    "The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

Cox’s Navy, by Tony Booth . Salvaging the German High Seas Fleet at Scapa Flow 1924-1931.

Not overly technical, a good read and instruction book on how to refloat an upside down 28,000 ton battle ship in a hundred feet of water.

Quote Originally Posted by webishop14 View Post
    You're missing out on some good reading.
    Alrighty then, Hieronymus Bosch it is. I’ve seen his work in a gallery in Madrid, and I’ve used his electronics in my cars and shop. But I’ve never read about his sleuthing.

Quote Originally Posted by L.A Marche View Post
    Cox’s Navy, by Tony Booth . Salvaging the German High Seas Fleet at Scapa Flow 1924-1931.

Not overly technical, a good read and instruction book on how to refloat an upside down 28,000 ton battle ship in a hundred feet of water.
    Spoiler alert.

Lots and lots and lots of compressed air.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Flight Portfolio by Julie Orringer.

Set in Marseille during WWII Vichy, it centers on the effort to get passports, visas, and travel documents (or escape routes) for refugees escaping the Nazi terror.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

I've been reading a lot of modern-day Urban Sword & Sorcery stuff. Patricia Briggs, Jim Butcher, and Ilona Andrews. Great escapist fiction.

But one of the books I'm currently reading - and that I picked up again this evening - is 'Confederates in the Attic'. So far I'm finding it largely grim and depressing. With not that much new to be learned. But also interesting in parts. The bit about the author interviewing Shelby Foote is quite illuminating. But it really highlights the profundity and intransigence of the damage done to our nation by slavery... in the first place... by the war to remove it... and by the awful way we handled 'success'. It helps me to understand the roots of the conflict, and the pernicious obstinance of the lingering symptoms. More than ever I am subscribing to the notion that slavery is our nation's 'original sin'... and that it continues to echoe down the slope of time... and from which we might just not recover. So far... it's overwhelmingly discouraging. I pray it ends on a more hopeful note.

P.S. -- it didn't.

"The Old South has been plowed under.
    But the ashes are still warm"
    -- Henry Miller
    Last edited by David G; 07-06-2019 at 08:42 AM.

Peter Brown, Through the Eye of a Needle

https://www.amazon.com/Through-Eye-N.../dp/B009EYPOCC

Read Grisham’s “The Reckoning” while at anchor in Poulsbo. Grisham always works as an entertaining page turner for me and I think this was one of his better ones.

Now halfway through “Time and Time Again” by Ben Elton. I’m a sucker for Time travel and this one is pretty good so far. The premise being, What one thing would you change in the past if you could?

i’m a time travel fan too ron

what are your favourites?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

"Hillbilly Elegy: a memoir of a family and culture in crisis," by JD Vance. The family is pretty dysfunctional. Not an inspiring or enlightening book. The author wrote it to exorcise his own demons.
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by UCanoe_2 View Post
    "Hillbilly Elegy: a memoir of a family and culture in crisis," by JD Vance. The family is pretty dysfunctional. Not an inspiring or enlightening book. The author wrote it to exorcise his own demons.
    Goes hand-in-hand with 'Confederates in the Attic'. Telling the same tale from different perspectives. Having read 'Elegy'... 'Attic' was a bit redundant. And long-winded. But I'm not sorry I read it... I just ended up skimming sections. The interview with Foote was worth the price of admission.

Finishing up the "Mueller Report" - quite a slog.

While the info has been partly reported previously, the report puts flesh on what is clearly obstruction by the Drumph.

I was in Northern Ohio last weekend and visited Loganberry Books (an outstanding used bookstore) in Shaker Heights. I purchased the six volume biography of Thomas Jefferson titled Jefferson and His Time for which the author, Dumas Malone, was awarded the Pulitzer Prize in 1975. I am about 100 pages into Volume One titled Jefferson the Virginian.
    "Trump's authoritarianism is a feature not a bug." -- Sky Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    i’m a time travel fan too ron

what are your favourites?
    I might have to think about that for a while. This current one (mentioned above) is pretty good, the time travel mechanism having been developed by Sir Isaac Newton. I also liked “All Our Wrong Today’s” by Elan Mastai. “The Best Time Travel Stories of the 20th Cenurty” by Harry Turtledove, a collection of short stories by other authors. These are not necessarily my favorites, just ones I can recall right now.

I'm also reading 'Green Mile'. Never picked it up before. Never saw the movie. Read it in bed last night... and found myself still up reading at 2 am. It's not that the story is such a classic page-turner. No wild action, car chases, sexy protagonists, etc. But King is such an understated craftsman of a novelist... I couldn't help myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    And some tie-ins, most notably his half-brother the "Lincoln Lawyer". Probably the best investigative novels written in the USA right now, IMNSHO.

Quote Originally Posted by webishop14 View Post
    Just finished rereading A Canticle For Liebowitz. Now rereading Snow Crash.
    I love them both. If by chance you haven't read them, Stephenson's Cryptonomicon and Anathem are both outstanding. Seveneves has its moments too.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    The Three Body Problem. Good, so far.
    One of the things I found interesting about that one was the way the deft translation allowed the cultural differences to ring through very truly.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I've been reading a lot of modern-day Urban Sword & Sorcery stuff. Patricia Briggs, Jim Butcher, and Ilona Andrews.
    I do wish Butcher would get on with the Dresden Files, but he's been sidetracked a few times. If you like urban fantasy, my friend Steven Brust has done a few things in that vein, as well as a few non-urban fantasy things that have the same sort of noir feel. His friend and collaborator Emma Bull has also done some urban fantasy. And if you haven't read Charles de Lint's Newford books, they were seminal to the development of the genre and remain some of its finest works.

...halfway through “Time and Time Again” by Ben Elton. I’m a sucker for Time travel and this one is pretty good so far.
    If you haven't encountered Connie Willis, I strongly suggest you seek her out. The basic conceit is time-traveling English historians, and the books range from comic genius (To Say Nothing Of The Dog) to gripping drama (Blackout/All Clear). She has won eleven Hugos and seven Nebulas, more than any other writer, and most deservedly in my estimation.

What are you doing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    And some tie-ins, most notably his half-brother the "Lincoln Lawyer". Probably the best investigative novels written in the USA right now, IMNSHO.

I love them both. If by chance you haven't read them, Stephenson's Cryptonomicon and Anathem are both outstanding. Seveneves has its moments too.

One of the things I found interesting about that one was the way the deft translation allowed the cultural differences to ring through very truly.

I do wish Butcher would get on with the Dresden Files, but he's been sidetracked a few times. If you like urban fantasy, my friend Steven Brust has done a few things in that vein, as well as a few non-urban fantasy things that have the same sort of noir feel. His friend and collaborator Emma Bull has also done some urban fantasy. And if you haven't read Charles de Lint's Newford books, they were seminal to the development of the genre and remain some of its finest works.

If you haven't encountered Connie Willis, I strongly suggest you seek her out. The basic conceit is time-traveling English historians, and the books range from comic genius (To Say Nothing Of The Dog) to gripping drama (Blackout/All Clear). She has won eleven Hugos and seven Nebulas, more than any other writer, and most deservedly in my estimation.
    Thanks - I just ordered some early Brust. I'd read some deLint, but not with any purpose or intention. These days, I'm making a point of working my way thru an author's book in order.

I'm also reading 'Green Mile'. Never picked it up before. Never saw the movie. Read it in bed last night... and found myself still up reading at 2 am. It's not that the story is such a classic page-turner. No wild action, car chases, sexy protagonists, etc. But King is such an understated craftsman of a novelist... I couldn't help myself.
    I’ve been reading some Stephen King lately as well. I’ve avoided a lot of his stuff because the horror aspect can get overdone. But he is such a good writer once past that. Some of his milder paranormal stories are good. Recently read “The Colorado Kid” and “Joyland”.

Thanks - I just ordered some early Brust. I'd read some deLint, but not with any purpose or intention. These days, I'm making a point of working my way thru an author's book in order.
    I tend to do that as well. You might want a bit of reference on "order" when it comes to Steve's stuff, as it falls into several bins: the standalone fantasy, the standalone sf, the Dragaeran books about Vlad Taltos (which you might call his main work), the Dragaeran books by "Paarfi" (an hilarious pastiche of Dumas), and some contemporary books that are a bit harder to classify. I've read almost everything he's done, multiple times, so if I can be of assistance, please let me know.

I tend to do that as well. You might want a bit of reference on "order" when it comes to Steve's stuff, as it falls into several bins: the standalone fantasy, the standalone sf, the Dragaeran books about Vlad Taltos (which you might call his main work), the Dragaeran books by "Paarfi" (an hilarious pastiche of Dumas), and some contemporary books that are a bit harder to classify. I've read almost everything he's done, multiple times, so if I can be of assistance, please let me know.
    Thanks. With a new author - I'm less concerned about starting at the beginning. For Brust - I chose to start with 'Iorich' - as it was rated well. If his stuff hits the spot - I'll go back and suss out the beginning of the journey.

Thanks. With a new author - I'm less concerned about starting at the beginning. For Brust - I chose to start with 'Iorich' - as it was rated well. If his stuff hits the spot - I'll go back and suss out the beginning of the journey.
    I strongly suggest you don't read Iorich yet! The Taltos series is best read in either publication or chronological order - my most recent re-read was chrono, and it was interesting, but I suggest publication order first time through. The first book is Jhereg, but the single volume may be out of print, in which case you might as well get The Book of Jhereg, a collection of the first three (IIRC) Vlad novels. Trust me on this. There is too much about Iorich that either won't make much sense or will present massive spoilers for the earlier series.

I strongly suggest you don't read Iorich yet! The Taltos series is best read in either publication or chronological order - my most recent re-read was chrono, and it was interesting, but I suggest publication order first time through. The first book is Jhereg, but the single volume may be out of print, in which case you might as well get The Book of Jhereg, a collection of the first three (IIRC) Vlad novels. Trust me on this. There is too much about Iorich that either won't make much sense or will present massive spoilers for the earlier series.
    Thanks for the tip!

“The Noise of Time” by Julian Barnes. It’s a (factually researched) historical novel about the composer Dmitri Shostakovich and his life in Soviet Russia under Stalin. Forget comparing Trump to Hitler, a much more apt comparison is to Stalin. The parallels are chilling. Staffing ‘The Power’ with friends and favors who know nothing of their departments, ridiculing scientist and artists to influence the base, squelching those who dare speak against him by issuing lies and propaganda and false labels, declaring people Enemies of the State, and more.

It was published in May 2016, before Trump was elected, and was not intended to show the parallels, but they are hard to miss.

8FBCFC5E-5596-410C-BFB4-35F73946BD04.jpeg

"The Overstory" by Richard Powers

The origin story for the WBF.

A tree’s-eye view of humanity. A novel meant to tell us that humans aren’t the only show on earth: that in fact we’re not much more than a sneeze to a bristlecone pine. In the end, it makes the contests in the natural world feel every bit as important as the struggles between people.

A collection of short stories about life in a small town in Russia, by a doctor:

The voice is irresistible and the characters engaging.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Continuing to read Jim Butcher's surprisingly good 'Dresden Files' series.

It's urban sword & scorcery, so I honestly wasn't expecting much. And his earliest books in the series certainly had a good bit of 'pulp fiction' feel to them. But the writing wasn't bad. But he's gotten better. Steadily and nicely better. I'm reminded a bit of the evolution Robt. Heinlein's work went thru - from low-rent 'space-opera' or 'teen fiction' to excellence. Butcher hasn't achieved those heights yet... but he's not been at it as long, either.

Also - in a similar vein - reading more of Patricia Briggs' 'Mercy Thompson' series. Also quite good.