Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 41505152 LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,785 of 1809

Thread: What Are You Reading?

Default Re: What Are You Reading?

The Colony by Audrey Magee. Set on a small island off the Irish west coast, it looks at the various relations of three generations of Gaelic speakers who live there, a middleman, a French scholar who wants to revive the Irish Language, and a perfidious English painter. No violence but considerable tension.

The island is never named, but reminded me of Great Blasket, that I visited in 2016, after a New Zealand meeting with two brothers who ferried tourists to the island from Dunquin, Kerry. One of them, Lorcan, was a builder of traditional-style currachs. Great Blasket was formally abandoned in 1954, with life there becoming unsustainable for the elderly residents.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Back Blast, by Mark Greiney. 5th book of the Grey Man series.
    Greaney, in case anyone is looking. I've ordered book #1.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

The Alphabet Versus The Goddess by Leonard Shlain. It’s non-fiction.

I finally decided to read "Gone with the Wind", read a lot of useful reviews about this book and became interested. Reading has always been my favorite hobby and I try to read at least 20 books a year. Now it is more difficult to allocate a lot of time for reading, since I got a job working in a service https://www.nursingpaper.com/our-ser...ng-case-study/ We have a lot of orders and I am constantly busy with work. But I can say for sure that my erudition very well helps me to do my writing work more efficiently.
    Last edited by Ronaldini; 09-27-2022 at 06:09 PM.

we don't give a damn
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    we don't give a damn
    You didn't think it appropriate to include "Franky my dear"?

Or were you channeling Country Joe & the Fish instead of the book?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Now working on The Dawn of Everything

which aims to blow up all the pseudo-scientific myths about human "pre-history"

Right now reading an interesting book, The Vertigo Years Europe 1900-1914 by Philipp Blom. It's non fiction, about the tumult in European society leading up to WWI.

From the jacket blurb: A world adrift, a pulsating era of creativity and contradictions. The major topics of the day were terrorism, globalization, immigration, consumerism, the collapse of moral values, and the rivalry of superpowers... an opulent, unstable age on the brink of disaster.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Speaking of pseudo scientific myths, just started Neil DeGrasse Tyson’s latest.

69B7E476-59CF-4D1E-928A-835F44ADD857.jpg

I'm about two thirds of the way through The Boundless Sea: A human History of the Oceans by David Abulafia.
    It's a fascinating mighty tome at ~900 pages plus notes, index etc. A Guardian review is here https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...exander-larman The book won the Wolfson History Prize for 2020.

Nick

I just finished a book on how the post office and the country grew together. Friend gave it to me and I kept it in the car. I'd read it while my wife was having a doctor visit. Covid came and there were not more doctor visits. Covid ended and the only doc she went to was the one who put shots in her knees. I finally remembered to bring the book in; something I'd planned to do for some time.

Finally finished it. Sadly it was published in 2016 and while the author mentioned the congress taking $5.5 billion a year from the post office via a voice vote in 2007, something supposed to end in 10 years, the book was published before she could have know it didn't end. They continued to take taht $5.5 billion a years for several more years.
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

'Fairy Tale', the new Stephen King book.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Sophocles, Ajax 450 B.C.

Tecmessa (captive concubine of Ajax):

Ajax, my lord, life knows no harder thing
    than to be at the mercy of compelling fortune.
    I, for example, was born of a free father;
    Now I'm a slave. Such, it seems, was the gods' will,
    and the will of your strong hand.
    Not until the Enlightenment was there a culture capable of such searching public self-criticism, with such literary mastery. A plea for freedom and dignity from a slave concubine -- a woman, reduced to an object, a slave two or three times over -- written and performed, pointedly, for an audience of thousands in a theater sponsored by the the victorious state that had made her a slave concubine, a prize taken in war against The Tribe's enemies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Though the victory be sacred, does might make right? That's what this one is about. At the time and place, the people did not shrink from asking the questions. Enemy or not, she was free, she had dignity. Can victory erase it? Can anything?

You people think SciFi illuminates the human condition. Why don't you get with the real thing? It's what literature is for. Substitute "the gods" as the sci-fi angle, and drop the presentism.
    Last edited by Osborne Russell; 09-28-2022 at 08:43 AM.
    If Russia wins, there will be no Ukraine; if Ukraine wins, there will be a new Russia.

-- Dmytro Kuleba, Foreign Minister of Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    I just finished a book on how the post office and the country grew together. .
    If this is the book, it is a very good read. Before I read it I was unaware of just how instrumental the PO was in establishing the US rail system, the airlines, and much else.

20220928_123355.jpgtested positive for COVID this morning, for all that I'm feeling pretty decent so far. My reading for the next couple of days, to dill out podcasts and the internet
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

That stonemason book looks very interesting to me.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

It's superb.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Finished a good murder mystery last night - by a new (to me) author. Spencer Kope is a longtime analyst for the Sheriff's Dept. in Whatcom County, WA. A local, sorta. This is his third book, ''Shadows of the Dead'... and good. A random grab from wandering the stacks. I'll now circle back & snag his first two.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Andrés Reséndez, Conquering the Pacific: An Unknown Mariner and the Final Great Voyage of the Age of Discovery.

The story of an uncovered voyage as colorful and momentous as any on record for the Age of Discovery—and of the Black mariner whose stunning accomplishment has been until now lost to history

It began with a secret mission, no expenses spared. Spain, plotting to break Portugal’s monopoly trade with the fabled Orient, set sail from a hidden Mexican port to cross the Pacific—and then, critically, to attempt the never-before-accomplished return, the vuelta. Four ships set out from Navidad, each one carrying a dream team of navigators. The smallest ship, guided by seaman Lope Martín, a mulatto who had risen through the ranks to become one of the most qualified pilots of the era, soon pulled far ahead and became mysteriously lost from the fleet. It was the beginning of a voyage of epic scope, featuring mutiny, murderous encounters with Pacific islanders, astonishing physical hardships—and at last a triumphant return to the New World. But the pilot of the fleet’s flagship, the Augustine friar mariner Andrés de Urdaneta, later caught up with Martín to achieve the vuelta as well. It was he who now basked in glory, while Lope Martín was secretly sentenced to be hanged by the Spanish crown as repayment for his services. Acclaimed historian Andrés Reséndez, through brilliant scholarship and riveting storytelling—including an astonishing outcome for the resilient Lope Martín--sets the record straight.

https://www.harperacademic.com/book/...g-the-pacific/

conquering pacific.jpg

Diana Preston, Paradise in Chains: The Bounty Mutiny and the Founding of Australia.

Celebrated historian Diana Preston presents betrayals, escapes, and survival at sea in her account of the mutiny of the Bounty and the flight of convicts from the Australian penal colony.

The story of the mutiny of the Bounty and William Bligh and his men's survival on the open ocean for 48 days and 3,618 miles has become the stuff of legend. But few realize that Bligh's escape across the seas was not the only open-boat journey in that era of British exploration and colonization. Indeed, 9 convicts from the Australian penal colony, led by Mary Bryant, also traveled 3,250 miles across the open ocean and some uncharted seas to land at the same port Bligh had reached only months before.

In this meticulously researched dual narrative of survival, acclaimed historian Diana Preston provides the background and context to explain the thrilling open-boat voyages each party survived and the Pacific Island nations each encountered on their journey to safety. Through this deep-dive, readers come to understand the Pacific Islands as they were and as they were perceived, and how these seemingly utopian lands became a place where mutineers, convicts, and eventually the natives themselves, were chained.

The book also tells of the HMS Pandora, which was sent to bring the Bounty mutineers to justice. Fourteen of the mutineers were arrested in Tahiti, to be returned to England for court martial. Pandora wrecked on the Great Barrier Reef on 29 August 1791. Four mutineers and 31 crew were lost. The survivors of the wreck made another incredible small boat journey, sailing 1200 nautical miles to what is now Indonesia.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/par...ton/1125504800

paradise in chains.jpg
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Pre owned volume The Ghost of Freedom. Previous owner annotated the glossary with words penciled with spellings in their native language. Continued underlining and annotating.

Striking passages with red pencil. Some were struck as false, and others I think were stricken as redundant.
    The real value to me is the insight how "Mother Russia" dealt with it's colonial territories. And the parallels in the current Ukranian conflict are

The Ghost of Freedom: A History of the Caucasus | Oxford Academic (oup.com)
    Last edited by Tom from Rubicon; 10-21-2022 at 10:56 PM.

The Ancestor’s Tale by Richard Dawkins.

"The Sea is for Sailing" by Peter Pye
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Quote Originally Posted by UCanoe_2 View Post
    But few realize that Bligh's escape across the seas was not the only open-boat journey in that era of British exploration and colonization. Indeed, 9 convicts from the Australian penal colony, led by Mary Bryant, also traveled 3,250 miles across the open ocean and some uncharted seas to land at the same port Bligh had reached only months before.
    Wow! Thanks for that.
    If Russia wins, there will be no Ukraine; if Ukraine wins, there will be a new Russia.

-- Dmytro Kuleba, Foreign Minister of Ukraine

P.V. Glob, The Bog People: Iron-Age Man Preserved. New York: New York Review of Books (2004).

Judging from this book alone, Denmark must be a pretty creepy place. From time to time, workers harvesting peat for fuel have come across bodies buried in the peat bogs. The workers often suspected that their finds were murder victims and called the police. Noted archaeologist P.V. Blog explains that they were in fact human sacrifices to the ancient fertility goddess. The acidic and anaerobic environment of the bogs preserved the corpses in remarkable detail; in some cases legible fingerprints could be taken. The book provides insights into the religion and daily lives of prehistoric Danes.

tollund man.jpg

Tollund Man, perhaps the best known bog person, is preserved in a Danish museum.

https://www.museumsilkeborg.dk/the-l...ut-tollund-man
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

South Sea Vagabonds by Johnny Wray

At age 20 he built a yacht he designed himself. He had virtually no money and searched the coast around Aukland NZ for washed up kauri logs. The opening chapters cronicsals the build then its off on his journeys to the Pacific.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Stephen Baxter, "Traces". Short stories, often somewhat dystopian. I prefer positive stories but these are so well written that they're well worth the time to go through.
    I've a copy of "Existence" by David Brin on its way, thats next on my list.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver.

Also: The Biggest Ideas in the Universe, by Sean Carrol. Physics and its math explained. I'm just now into harmonic oscillators.
    “Aren’t you supposed to be the gentlemen who lie for the good of their country?”
    “That’s diplomats. We’re not gentlemen.”
    “So you lie to save your hides.”
    That’s politicians. Different game entirely.”

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    South Sea Vagabonds by Johnny Wray

At age 20 he built a yacht he designed himself. He had virtually no money and searched the coast around Aukland NZ for washed up kauri logs. The opening chapters cronicsals the build then its off on his journeys to the Pacific.

I really enjoy this book, ‘have read it a couple of times but might get it out for another read now (the benefit of a poor memory, you get to enjoy a good book more than once)
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I really enjoy this book, ‘have read it a couple of times but might get it out for another read now (the benefit of a poor memory, you get to enjoy a good book more than once)
    It's my inspiration as I work to finish the refit on Warana with competing finances, a great read!
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

'I Am Pilgrim' by Terry Hayes. A debut novel... and excellent thriller.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I'm reading this article on How to conclude a research paper. I'm currently working on my semester assignments and this article has been of much help.

The series about two Royal Navy officers during the Seven-Years-War, Carlisle and Holbrooke, by author Chris Durbin.

Very readable, better than most of the Hornblower/Aubrey continuum. A good balance of ship-lore vs characters.

It was interesting to read about the capture of Louisburg, and Quebec.

All on eBooks via amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    The series about two Royal Navy officers during the Seven-Years-War, Carlisle and Holbrooke, by author Chris Durbin.

Very readable, better than most of the Hornblower/Aubrey continuum. A good balance of ship-lore vs characters.

It was interesting to read about the capture of Louisburg, and Quebec.

All on eBooks via amazon.
    They're pretty good for sure. Hadn't read much about Louisburg & Quebec history (though from the US perspective) since Kenneth Roberts' Arundel.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green