Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading?

Default Re: What Are You Reading?

Still enjoying the heck out of the Steven Brust 'Taltos' series.

Also just finished re-reading Carl Hiassen's 'Bad Monkey'. Really enjoyed it. That after reading the newer 'Razor Girl' which was quite similar. Too similar, too formulaic, and lacking the typical CH sparkle of creativity. Is CH running out of steam?

Been reading some William G. Tapply also. Diving into 'Out Cold' right now, and enjoying it.

Also taking another cruise thru 'The Great Equalizer How Main Street Capitalism Can Create An Economy for Everyone'.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Taking a short break from reading and listening to the audible book, "The Book Thief" which I had read a year or so ago. It is a freebie from a friend on an Audible Books promotion. But also as a way to enjoy my new Bluetooth hearing aids. Stories piped directly into my head and no one knows.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Still plowing through "America's War for the Greater Middle East: A Military History."

It's interesting enough, but I seem to only read it while flying back and forth from work. So I tend to fall asleep.

I do recommend it though.

I'd be interested to know how this one ends! Or maybe that should be if it ends?
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I'm reading Steven Brust's 'Taltos' series. Just finishing the second anthology, and looking forward to plowing thru the third. Thanks to whoever suggest it. Was that you, twin?? Seems like it'd be up your alley.
    Might have been me; he's a friend and I'm a fan. If you're into that kind of thing, it's interesting to play "spot the dialectic" with his work.

What are you doing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    Might have been me; he's a friend and I'm a fan. If you're into that kind of thing, it's interesting to play "spot the dialectic" with his work.
    If so, my thanks. My only gripe with his writing is that he is too prone to pad the word-count. Oh, and he's a shade over-fond of certain phrases and memes. But none of that is distracting enough to seriously impinge on my overall enjoyment. Fascinating characters. Creative, twisted, plotting. Fresh take on 'world creation'. I'm just waiting now for my local bibliothech to bring in the printed version of 'Iorich'... or 'The Book of Iorich'. I don't do e-books.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

If so, my thanks. My only gripe with his writing is that he is too prone to pad the word-count. Oh, and he's a shade over-fond of certain phrases and memes. But none of that is distracting enough to seriously impinge on my overall enjoyment. Fascinating characters. Creative, twisted, plotting. Fresh take on 'world creation'. I'm just waiting now for my local bibliothech to bring in the printed version of 'Iorich'... or 'The Book of Iorich'. I don't do e-books.
    Have you read any of the Khaavren Romances yet? They're a deliberate homage to Dumas père, and the padded word count (line count too - Dumas was paid by the line, and it shows in the dialogue) is exaggerated for comic effect. I happen to find it very amusing, but I'm sure there are those who don't...

I will take advantage of this opportunity to recommend a couple of his lesser-known treats: To Reign In Hell is his riff on the "Paradise lost" theme, and he pulls it off in fine style (it's the work that made Roger Zelazny a Brust fan); Freedom & Necessity is an Hegelian epistolary fantasy set at the height of the Chartist movement on which he collaborated with Emma Bull. Both are outstanding.
    Last edited by Flying Orca; 08-02-2017 at 03:07 PM.

Just finished reading The Gun Seller, by Hugh Laurie. Laurie is a great actor, he's got an album out that's pretty decent, and he's a novelist. I suspect he dons Spandex and fights crime at night. (the Wolverine is already taken, he probably fights crime as the Stoat.)

The book has a breezy style, humorous asides, and everything it it seems decently researched except for the recovery time for a hero who has been shot. But then, it's written as a pulp novel, and heroes in pulp novels are always getting shot, then acting as if they hadn't been shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    Have you read any of the Khaavren Romances yet? They're a deliberate homage to Dumas père, and the padded word count (line count too - Dumas was paid by the line, and it shows in the dialogue) is exaggerated for comic effect. I happen to find it very amusing, but I'm sure there are those who don't...
    "Oh, as to that--"
    "Yes?"
    "I will tell you."
    "And at once, I hope."
    "Why, this, this very instant."
    "Then I am listening."
    From 500 Years After, by Steven Brust

Yeah, he does this constantly.

Oystagirl is a huge Brust fan - in fact, she buys multiple copies of Freedom & Necessity in order to give them away. Nevertheless, she has been known to look down her nose at me when I employ a similar style in our conversations...

Also just finished re-reading Carl Hiassen's 'Bad Monkey'. Really enjoyed it. That after reading the newer 'Razor Girl' which was quite similar. Too similar, too formulaic, and lacking the typical CH sparkle of creativity. Is CH running out of steam?
    Interesting, I thought it was just me. Razor Girl has been spending more time on the nightstand than a CH novel usually does. I thought it might have been because I had read Tim Dorsey Shark Skin Suite right before I picked up Razor Girl. Tim Dorsey is the ultimate Strange Florida Fiction writer IMO.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Around the Horn and Home Again by "Shalimar" (F. C. Hendry) and Three Ships Came Sailing by Arthur H Noble. A true account of family life on 3 sailing ships The Bedford, the Pleiades and the Northbrook in the 1870s - 1890's.

Just finished Philip Kerr's crime trilogy, which was good, perhaps not great, but very readable.

He's rather hamhanded with female characters, who all have billowy boobs and big bums and are your basic easy pieces. He kills most of them off— some issues, perhaps.

Now working on this:

It's a novel of early-days Newfoundland, with dashes of magical realism (a man taken from the belly of a dead whale), the predictable cast of quirky characters (a miser, a libidinous priest) and some problems with believability: can a small dog pack a trail through waist-deep snow? Not bloody likely.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Inspired to read this by our recent trip to Haida Gwaii. Highly recommended!

I am reading this:

Next will be these:

And then will be these:

Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 08-10-2017 at 04:35 PM.
    " Democracy is beautiful in theory; in practice it is a fallacy. You in America will see that some day."

" The truth is that men are tired of liberty."

-- Benito Mussolini

Been reading some of William G. Tapply's 'Brady Coyne' series. Enjoyable.

Took a step outside my normal fare to read Matthew Quirk's 'Cold Barrel Zero'. Lots of international intrigue and tons of Special Forces types doing superhuman combat ops. A fun romp.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lesser View Post
    Inspired to read this by our recent trip to Haida Gwaii. Highly recommended!

Oh, yes!

Found a stash of old Rex Stout novels in the basement. Reading one of his early, short, works right now. MIL loved her some Rex Stout. As do I.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Just starting Roving Fisherman - An Autobiography by Frederick William Wallace. Sub-titled "Recounting Personal Experiences in the Fishing Fleets and Fish Trade of Canada and the United States - 1911-1924" A rather thick book (506 pages, plus appendices) published in 1955.

Quote:

"Better to begin your fishing early than to fish late. When you swing 'em over at two, or three or four - 'specially during broken weather - the men have daylight ahead of them should it breeze or shut down thick. I'd sooner be caught with my dories astray in a fog or snowstorm at four in the morning than at four in the afternoon. More chance of pickin' 'em up." I could see the logic in this.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Just yesterday started MacLean's "Democracy in Chains: the deep history of the radical right's stealth plan for America".

Looks like it will be seriously good.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Just yesterday started MacLean's "Democracy in Chains: the deep history of the radical right's stealth plan for America".

Looks like it will be seriously good.
    I'll be interested in your comments.

Just starting this:

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I am immediately rereading South, but more slowly. I honestly cannot remember the last time I savoured a book like this. I read and re-read, because sometimes the words don't say what the man means, you know? Always a leader and a fearless one. Ha!

The words are beautiful, and they are the man's own. The things those men revealed to themselves during their travails were instructive, and remain so, and the descriptions of the places and things done there are simply mind boggling.

The privation was extreme, and the conditions seemingly deadly. I knew the story before, but reading Shackleton's own account was wild.

I'm going on the same ride again, but I'm dressing warmer, this time.

Peace,
    Robert

Most of my reading time is aloud, to other people. The current selection is The Indian in the Cupboard. We have a grand tradition of reading aloud, with character voices.
    Next read aloud is A Connecticut Yankee..., by Sammy C. (Harhar) We just scored a neat old copy. And, the eclipse...

South, one of my favorites. Try Four Against the Arctic after that.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    South, one of my favorites. Try Four Against the Arctic after that.
    Cool. Thanks.

For some reason explorers fascinate me. The Ex Ex of the US is one of my favorite bunch of explorers. And them cats what walked and paddled across the pre-states.

Peace,
    Robert

Love in the Time of Cholera. Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Just finished Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson. A moving and important work of non-fiction about prison and racism in the U.S.

Another Rex Stout - the first Nero Wolfe book: Fer de Lance.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Still plowing through "America's War for the Greater Middle East: A Military History."

It's interesting enough, but I seem to only read it while flying back and forth from work. So I tend to fall asleep.

I do recommend it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    I'd be interested to know how this one ends! Or maybe that should be if it ends?

Sad to report I'm still working on it.

Very interesting, I just need to commit to it.

Plenty of blame to go around so far.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

We lived on Lyttelton Harbour, near Christchurch NZ, opposite Quail Island where the dogs and ponies were trained for the British Antarctic expeditions. I used to paddle over and wander among the reconstructed pens and barracks. I also collected a shelf of books on polar exploration, including old volumes, such as this:

I used Scott's Russian dog driver, Dmitri Gerov, as a character in a historical novel.

Scott, Oates, and other expedition members appear as well.

Finished the first Nero Wolfe book, 'Fer de Lance'. It'd been years since I read it last, and it rewarded revisiting. Except that I stayed up WAY too late last night finishing it.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Read another Nero Wolfe: something golden earrings. Then the latest C.J. Box. (consistently good). Now I'm into a Karin Slaughter - 'Blindsighted'. Still nibbling away at 'Democracy in Chains:'.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

It's been years since I read Tolstoy's 'The Death of Ivan Ilyich' - but my oldest son had just finished it when we were at his place for dinner last night. He was remarking on how greyly dour it was. My sweetie, the English major, said it was a novel of 'living lives of quiet desperation'. My own memory was that is was a hopeful book. About as hopeful as Russians of that era could manage. That - even though it took him until his death-bed to realize it... he did have a hopeful epiphany. So the moral of the story was actually hopeful, if not cheerful, despite all the grim trappings, plot, and mood.

Anyone remember it well enough to comment?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Just started 'The Golden Spruce'. I think I'm gonna like it. It seems to be compared a lot to 'Into Thin Air'. I hope not. While that was an interesting book... I also found it highly annoying.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

...'Into Thin Air'. ... I also found it highly annoying.
    Boy howdy.

It's been years since I read Tolstoy's 'The Death of Ivan Ilyich' - but my oldest son had just finished it when we were at his place for dinner last night. He was remarking on how greyly dour it was. My sweetie, the English major, said it was a novel of 'living lives of quiet desperation'. My own memory was that is was a hopeful book. About as hopeful as Russians of that era could manage. That - even though it took him until his death-bed to realize it... he did have a hopeful epiphany. So the moral of the story was actually hopeful, if not cheerful, despite all the grim trappings, plot, and mood.

Anyone remember it well enough to comment?
    No Tolstoy commentary, eh?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks