Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 36454647 LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,610 of 1626

Thread: What Are You Reading?

This Wheels On Fire

Autobiography of Levon Helm and his time in The Band.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Default Re: What Are You Reading?

Found a new mystery writer I like -- Lisa Gardner.

Meantime ---

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Mostly trashy novels by Clive Cussler and the like.
    To stimulate my brain and try to become a better person,
    I'm working my way through Dietrich Bonhoeffer's "The Cost of Discipleship".
    He was a German theologist murdered by Hitler a few weeks before WWII ended.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

I was gifted a book by John Podlaski When Can I Stop running. It is a Vietnam War Story, I have had it a couple of weeks and I think maybe I have made it through ten pages, reading is really hard for me to do anymore. It is a story of two young men from Chicago who spend the night on a listening post. Something I never experienced thankfully. They called them sacrificial lambs, sent out beyond the perimeter to watch and listen for enemy movement.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby of Tulsa View Post
    I was gifted a book by John Podlaski When Can I Stop running. It is a Vietnam War Story, I have had it a couple of weeks and I think maybe I have made it through ten pages, reading is really hard for me to do anymore. It is a story of two young men from Chicago who spend the night on a listening post. Something I never experienced thankfully. They called them sacrificial lambs, sent out beyond the perimeter to watch and listen for enemy movement.
    Sounds very interesting.

WAIT... Okies can read??? <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I've been on a Dianna Wynne Jones kick lately. Fantasy writer. Her publisher decided she was writing for juveniles, but most people who buy her books at my store are adults. She wrote Howl's Moving Castle, which was made into a film by Studio Ghibli.

Halfway through “The Apollo Murders”. Yeah, it’s good.
    I’m reading slowly to enjoy it.

A book that offers some incite Joe Manchin's positions. Peril by Woodward and Acosta.

Tom

Finished last night: 'Nickel Boys' by Colson Whitehead. A brilliantly understated coming of age story about a Reform School in Florida during the time of MLK. Based upon an actual school... and events.

I'm gonna read more from him. Already ordered 'Underground Railroad', which some tout as his best.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"Space Farers", absolutely the best book about the problems man will face in making long space flight and the reality of outer space being suitable for human habitation. Buck Rogers and Captain Kirk it ain't. by Christopher Wanjek

I did it in audio but recommend the book for those that don't need audio. The best such book ever.

Off US Grant's memoirs, now re-reading Charles Davis's The Built-Up Ship Model, as I dive once more into constructing the 16-gun armed brig which was the subject of the book.
    Gerard>
    Langley, WA

Don't believe Republican lies.

Joanne Harris' Five Quarters of the Orange. She's previously written Chocolat. Found it in the bookshelf here in my apartment. She's an excellent writer--I'm currently about a third of the way through it, and savoring it slowly.

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by webishop_sccgj View Post
    Joanne Harris' Five Quarters of the Orange. She's previously written Chocolat. Found it in the bookshelf here in my apartment. She's an excellent writer--I'm currently about a third of the way through it, and savoring it slowly.
    I read those and some of her novels a few years back and really enjoyed them. I should check and see if I missed any.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Halfway through &ldquo;The Apollo Murders&rdquo;. Yeah, it&rsquo;s good.
    I&rsquo;m reading slowly to enjoy it.

I&rsquo;m around chapter 10. It&rsquo;s great so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom

We read Lale Guls book about her youth in a strict muslim family in Amsterdam. Great book, often a bit rude about sex, a lot of anger about the Imams who forbade her to play soccer and to hide her developing body in shapeless clothes. Being intelligent she sees these rules don't apply to boys an she can't stand it.
    In a saturday NYTimes an article: 'Dutch-Turkish Novelist Depicts Her Journey to Secularism With No Inhibitions'. I don't know the English title yet but the Dutch one is:'I am going to live.'
    We saw her yesterday night at a bookpromotion in Groningen where she told about the book, her life and the work she does now. Book is a bestseller her so she does not have to live with her parents anymore, cover her head etc.
    She impressed me last night and cant wait to read her second book.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Halfway through “The Apollo Murders”. Yeah, it’s good.
    I’m reading slowly to enjoy it.
    Are you reading the same edition I've got?

...but I'm guessing maybe it's not my genre.

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

Just finished Utz, by Bruce Chatwin. Wish it had been longer- I read it too quickly..

I want to thank the person who put me onto the Marsali Taylor mysteries based in Shetland. Pardon me for not going back through this huge thread to find your name.

They are excellent mysteries, the sailing is pervasive and accurate. Her depiction of Shetland culture and geography is, in my limited experience (2 Shetland Folk Festivals, and some hitch hiking and sightseeing before, during and after) is absolutely spot-on. I tried to read the Anne Cleeves novels (the ones the TV show is based on) but could not reconcile her depiction with the land and people I have come to know. Ms. Taylor lives there, and really knows the place and the people.

I found that her geography is so accurate, if you read her books in conjunction with Google Maps Street View, it is almost a virtual reality experience. If she says there is a pub in a wee village, you can drive right by it; the chip shop in Brae exists, and is still renowned as the "Best in Britain"; even the "passing place by the peerie loch" where a minor character parks his car to walk to the pub in Voe to avoid the police on the way home can be found. Incredible attention to detail, and there are few additions, deletions, or changes to make her stories work.

https://www.marsalitaylor.co.uk/

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Japanese Wooden Boatbuilding by Douglas Brooks.

So far I’ve learned how you can edge nail planks together with soft steel and they mortise and tenon cross frames through the planking. Who’d a thunk it. They work on the floor. So I’m asking is that why they (have to) pull saw?, and we on a bench push saw? Its well written, Douglas has me engrossed. Its vernacular allright.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 11-03-2021 at 12:31 PM.

“A Woman of No Importance” by Sonia Purnell. True story of a woman who was instrumental in organizing the French Resistance during WWII. The depressing part is the similarity to the state of this country right now.

Rounding up a batch of books to take back to the library...

'Castle In The Air' -- DW Jones. A most imaginateive and enjoyable 'young adult' romp thru the land of genies, djinn, and magic carpets.

'Hide' -- Lisa Gardner. A very good mystery about a serial killer.

'Trask' -- Don Berry. Local author, genius, and autodidact. One of the 50's/60's Reed College cabal of creatives, roommate to Gary Snyder. One of a very few he wrote before his creativity took other avenues. I re-read it periodically, and am always glad.

'Debunking Economics' -- Steve Keen. Some say he is the only one since Keynes to push the field further toward making sense and away from mathematical masturbation and the worship of hoary old simplistic myths. Definitely worthwhile.

Canoe Rig: The essence and the art -- Todd Bradshaw. A regular WBF contributor - most of you have seen his generous wisdom on small and traditional rigs shared many times. I picked it up to facilitate discussion with a client on rig choices. Always worth revisiting.
    Last edited by David G; 11-06-2021 at 07:09 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Just finished 'Underground Railroad' by Colson Whitehead. Very good, indeed. The conceit is that during the time of slavery in the South, and the resistance to same, there was and actual railroad, actually under the earth, to help slaves escape. Not a cheerful read, but informative. And, in the end, hopeful.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Owls of the eastern ice by Jonathan Slaght.
    From the WSJ:
    a stellar example of the fruitful intersection of scientific inquiry, conservation advocacy and wilderness adventure.

Fear No Evil, Nathan Sharansky.

Yeesh!

ETA: recounting of the trial and imprisonment of a Refusenik in the Soviet Union in the 70s. KGB and gulag stuff.
    Last edited by amish rob; 11-23-2021 at 10:46 AM.

Garrett Conover, Beyond the Paddle: A Canoeist's Guide to Expedition Skills: Poling, Lining, Portaging, and Maneuvering Through Ice.

To a canoeist accustomed only to downstream paddling, this book is a revelation. Conover is a long time Maine Guide and outdoor educator. The book highlights traditional skills for travel on North Woods waterways in all seasons. Poling makes upstream travel possible and allows canoe trips without a fossil fuel dependent vehicle shuttle. Portaging, often avoided, leaves the civilized crowds behind and opens the door to truly wild places. I have tried a little bit of poling and lining, but will practice these skills when warm weather returns. I'll have to work out at the Y more before I attempt portaging for any distance. There's not much opportunity in Virginia for canoeing on ice.

An outstanding book, long out of print and for a paperback usually relatively expensive in the retail marketplace. Read it for free at archive.org:
    https://archive.org/details/beyondpaddlecano0000cono
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

"A Visit With Don Octavio"
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Now just started The Sixth Extinction.
    Gerard>
    Langley, WA

Don't believe Republican lies.

I keep finding new books I want to read from the titles mentioned here.

With that in mind... I really like it when you include a link, or a brief description. Allows the rest of us to decide if it's something we want to investigate further or not.

Thanks to everyone who has participated so far... But I'm going to delete this thread now.

OK... just kidding. Just a thrust in the direction of the 'Leave, Lock, or Delete' thread.

Truth is, I hope we keep this one going a very long time.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Been bouncing between a few lately.

Billionaire Wilderness: The Ultra-Wealthy and the Remaking of the American West - Published in 2020, this has been resonating for me and prompts some questions about the type of conservation work I do for a living. Worth a read and lots to relate to if you've ever lived in $mountain_town.

The Safety Anarchist: Relying on human expertise and innovation, reducing bureaucracy and compliance - Dekker has been hugely influential to me. Been re-reading this in bits and pieces as I work on some annual 'big picture' type stuff. Lots of insight into reconciling prescriptive and free-play approaches to labor.

Haruki Murakami - Dance Dance Dance Not that far into it yet, but this seems like it'll be a fun read and probably a page turner.

Various boat building and sail plan manuals. Reading the same idea presented in two different ways seems to be making things click a little more. That's been especially true for lofting.

Quote Originally Posted by offbelayknife View Post
    Been bouncing between a few lately.

Billionaire Wilderness: The Ultra-Wealthy and the Remaking of the American West - Published in 2020, this has been resonating for me and prompts some questions about the type of conservation work I do for a living. Worth a read and lots to relate to if you've ever lived in $mountain_town.

The Safety Anarchist: Relying on human expertise and innovation, reducing bureaucracy and compliance - Dekker has been hugely influential to me. Been re-reading this in bits and pieces as I work on some annual 'big picture' type stuff. Lots of insight into reconciling prescriptive and free-play approaches to labor.

Haruki Murakami - Dance Dance Dance Not that far into it yet, but this seems like it'll be a fun read and probably a page turner.

Various boat building and sail plan manuals. Reading the same idea presented in two different ways seems to be making things click a little more. That's been especially true for lofting.
    Love Murakami. The Windup Bird Chronicle is my fave.

The Broads By R.H.Mottram.
    There are many books about the Norfolk Broads, but I find this one most interesting. Published in 1952 the gentleman who wrote it was old enough the remember Broads holidays in the 1890s, and meeting people who could remember the broads in the 1840s. and I'm old enough to remember people he mentions in his time and I can meet some of the families today.
    One section is very wrong about the creation of the Norfolk Broads, but he mentions the cutting of Turves of peat, without realising that was the cause.
    There is a mine of interesting information in there, A gallon and a half of beer in a barrel, in the 1890's 2/6 yes two shilling and sixpence or 12 1/2p (about 17cents)

Also reading " The War in East Anglia" a set of six books each covering a year in which WW2 occurred. Now reading 1942, they're just preparing for the arrival of the Yanks..
    Just an amateur bodging away..

Two more private eye mysteries from Harlan Coben. Really good.

Started 'Ring Shout'. Shaping up to be a real good'n. https://multcolib.bibliocommons.com/...d/S152C1656371
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks