Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5141516 LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading?

Default Re: What Are You Reading?

I've been reading a lot of fairly intense spy-thriller stuff lately, so I am taking a break with some Janet Evanovich/Stephanie Plum. Crime fiction... kinda. But reliably light-hearted, witty, down to earth, and fast-paced.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Arrrggghh. I was kind of enjoying this novel, “The Incarnations”, and then I run across a line like this:

”A few days of struggling through lectures and campus life. A seasonal depression as the earth moved farther from the sun and the hours of darkness lengthened.”

Either the author should know better, or her college student character should. Now she’s lost her credibility.

Just finished The War In The West, A new history Germany ascendant 1939-1941 by James Holland. Superb book.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Light suspense.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Having recently enjoyed my first Stuart Neville novel, I went back to his first. 'The Ghosts of Belfast'. Really very good. Impressive first novel. Not only is it an engaging, intense, thriller... it's a most interesting inside view of history. That is, The Troubles in Northern Ireland.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Actually good if you are x-catholic, paints a better picture of the few good guys.

PaulF

The Templers, Dan Jone's research history of the Templers. Very good and quite readable.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 10-10-2017 at 11:33 PM.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    The Templers, Dan Jone's research history of the Templers. Very good and quite readable.

That thing got a bibliography? I wonder how many of the books in it I have?

Peace,
    Robert

Starting Saturn Run. John Sanford is one of my favorite authors. I'm at about chapter 10, and have encountered some slightly foul whiffs of Walden II and some Heinlein juvenalia, but for the most part the read is good.
    "The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I've been reading a lot of fairly intense spy-thriller stuff lately, so I am taking a break with some Janet Evanovich/Stephanie Plum. Crime fiction... kinda. But reliably light-hearted, witty, down to earth, and fast-paced.
    A worthy successor to Robert B. Parker in his prime, would you say?

What are you doing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    I'd say Evanovich is still slightly more of a light-weight. But not by much.
    "The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

Just started "Cutting for Stone" by Abraham Verghese at the suggestion of one of my patients. It's good.

Has anyone read the new Le Carre novel about George Smiley? I'm expecting great things.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    Yes, though Parker was deeper, and sometimes grimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by webishop14 View Post
    I'd say Evanovich is still slightly more of a light-weight. But not by much.
    Yes. I am reminded of Cindy Lauper... <G>

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Yes, though Parker was deeper, and sometimes grimmer.
    Yeah. The sequence that began (roughly) with Early Autumn and ended with Crimson Joy​ was probably his best work.
    Last edited by Flying Orca; 10-12-2017 at 05:56 PM.

What are you doing about it?

this post
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Just finished one that was quite worthwhile.

'Midwives' by Chris Bohjalian is compared by some to 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. It lacks the 'big issue' profundity, and the Southern Gothic ambiance, set as it is in Northern Vermont and dealing with the long-standing tension between the 'ground up', natural, organic, approach to childbirth epitomized by the (mostly) women who do midwifery... and the 'top-down' approach favored by the (largely) men of modern Western Medicine. In its structure, though, and it's voicing, and it's addressing of an underlying social issue, and its book-long gathering sense of foreboding, it is similar.

My sympathies, of course, were with the midwife - who had been part of a tragic 'bad outcome', and who was subsequently (and unfairly?) charged with manslaughter. and with 'practicing medicine without a license'. But it's not a simplistic 'good triumphs over evil' story. Instead, it's a book with ambiguity and nuance. It's also refreshing to find a male author making a young teenage female his protagonist.

Highly recommend
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Tuxedo Park : A Wall Street Tycoon and the Secret Palace of Science That Changed the Course of World War II

Legendary financier, philanthropist, and society figure Alfred Lee Loomis gathered the most visionary scientific minds of the twentieth century—Albert Einstein, Werner Heisenberg, Niels Bohr, Enrico Fermi, and others—at his state-of-the-art laboratory in Tuxedo Park, New York, in the late 1930s. He established a top-secret defense laboratory at MIT and personally bankrolled pioneering research into new, high-powered radar detection systems that helped defeat the German Air Force and U-boats. With Ernest Lawrence, the Nobel Prize–winning physicist, he pushed Franklin Delano Roosevelt to fund research in nuclear fission, which led to the development of the atomic bomb.

I'm a bit embarrassed to find that I knew very little about Alfred Loomis and his contributions to development of important technology in the 20th century. What little I did know about him had more to do with sailing and the America's Cup than technology. That Loomis tended to keep to the background and fostered the work of many others contributed to his relative anonymity . His wealth funded many other scientists but his own visionary contributions were very important in many areas.
    Last edited by Tom Lathrop; 10-20-2017 at 11:43 AM.
    Tom L

Just finished 'The Straw Men' by Doherty. The newest of a dozen medieval mysteries, which I will now go back and explore in order. Touching on places and happenings as far away as the Scots border and the coast of France... but mostly centered in & around the Tower of London. Spies, Princes, hatchet men, a troupe of actors. A beautiful redhead. A stew of motivations and allegiances. The pacing is slow, almost monotonous. Several times I wondered if it was meandering anywhere particulart. But it rewarded patience, the denoument is both interesting and rewarding, and the pace is of a piece with the book.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

The Rip, a compilation of short sea stories by Robert Drew.

Just finished, The Third Policeman, by Flann O’Brian. It is the prequel to The First Policeman, sequel to The Fourth Policeman, an homage (of sorts) to The Policeman’s Wife, satirized in both Policeman! ​and Piggies, analyzed in the critical work Ecunumics for Dummies, disparaged (briefly) by Kafka and Beckett, translated to the stage in Brecht’s Three Policeman Opera, and film in the third installment of Bruce Willis’ franchise Policeman III.
    bccphalarope(dot)com

Raven Black by Ann Cleeves, one of a series of mysteries set in the Shetland Islands (and the source of the TV mystery series.)

Excellent description and a good piece of work.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Just started The Salt Line, and it's one of the better near-future dystopian novels I've read:

https://www.amazon.com/Salt-Line-Hol.../dp/073521431X

Not too far in yet, but some interesting commentary on environmental degradation and tick-driven superplagues that have led entire regions of the US to quarantine themselves.

Tom
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 11-02-2017 at 12:40 PM.
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Just finished A Walk In The Woods by Bill Bryson
    Now on to Down and Out In The Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow

The North Water by Ian McGuire. Darker than a pocket fiction, dastardly whale killers. Somewhat in line with Cormac McCarthy in style.
    Study Peace

Just got into timber framing, making several 1 1/2 and 2 inch socket chisels in the forge from D2 and O1 steel great fun!!

PaulF

Taking a break with some Sherlock Holmes in the form of Laurie King’s Mary Russell series. (Thanks David). I’m reading the third in the series, “A Letter of Mary”.

Les Parisiennes: How the Women of Paris Lived, Loved and Died in the Nazi Occupation

--Anne Sebba

why did some Parisians collaborate during the war, and why did some resist?

When the German army entered Paris in 1940 if was, for many Parisians, “a relief” – they had feared terrible oppression but at first found German soldiers to be “well-dressed, amiable and often French-speaking”. For their part, the Germans relished being posted to Paris; buying lavish goods, enjoying French opera and exploiting the “sickeningly friendly” local population, who, according to a senior German officer, were “positively queuing up to get a German soldier into bed”...

Many female resisters were arrested and thousands ended their lives in concentration camps.

Review: https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...e-sebba-review
    Last edited by Shang; 10-31-2017 at 10:12 PM.

Drawings of an International Cadet, I'm just starting the restoration of a very old wooden one.

About to wrap up "Al Franken: Giant of the Senate". I expected it to be fluffier and funnier. Instead it's rock solid and absolutely worthwhile. Every U.S. Republican voter should read the chapter called Operation Curdle.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    Just finished, The Third Policeman, by Flann O’Brian.
    This is on my shelf. He's a mad sort of writer, and I find his work by turns fascinating and repellent.

We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

About to wrap up "Al Franken: Giant of the Senate". I expected it to be fluffier and funnier. Instead it's rock solid and absolutely worthwhile. Every U.S. Republican voter should read the chapter called Operation Curdle.
    A very worthwhile read, I enjoyed it a lot.

Just placed an order for this book > so excited to have a read that will make me dream of adventures to come.
    Roger Barnes’s book - The Dinghy Cruising Companion

https://www.amazon.com/Dinghy-Cruisi...ustomerReviews

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 11-01-2017 at 03:35 PM.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Re reading the Annapolis Book of Seamanship and The Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

I've just started re-reading "A Summer Cruise on the Coast of New England" by Robert Carter. I originally read it when I first visited my wife's family in Wareham back in 1972. The family always call it "Carter's Coast of New England". My wife's mother was a Carter and she always claimed a direct relationship with the author. She died a couple of years ago, and when her possessions had been sorted out my Sister-in-Law remembered me enjoying this book and has posted the same copy to me.
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.