Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51415

Thread: What Are You Reading?

Default Re: What Are You Reading?

Just finished 'Ratlines' by Irish author Stuart Neville. Spies. Gold. A stalwart hero. Sounds formulaic, but is quite nicely done. I'm gonna dig out more from him.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Voortrekers.
    The southern african wild west.

In the beginning the biggest perpetrators of genocide were the Zulus, wiping out many other tribes. That left a depopulated area on the other side of the Drakensbergs the Boer treckers moved into, but the Zulu's. moving south, objected.

And then there were diamonds and gold, and Rhodes and Jamieson, and the whole sorry mess.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 10-05-2017 at 06:01 AM.

"The shock of the old" by David Edgerton. It's a book on technology that attacks the normal view that sees invention as the critical point in the history of technology, and that also obsesses about new forms of technology. Edgerton makes the point that was is really important is when and how technology becomes widely used, how often this is overlooked, and how long older forms of technology remain important or dominant even when newer tech has arrived.

It's quite relevant to my interest in dinghy designs, because the sailing media makes a fetish of the latest high-tech designs that almost no one sails, and claims that older designs are holding the sport back.

I'm halfway through Richard Dawkins' latest book, "Science In The Soul: Selected Writings Of A Passionate Rationalist". Nothing new but nonetheless interesting, rational, and entertaining.

I wasn't going to comment on a book I just put down after just a couple of chapters... but then I read Keith's thread on a 'Me-driven Life'.

The book is by a Portland author, and is called 'Whiskey Tango Foxtrot'. Two main protagonists, and it sounded promising. It was, until we met the second character. A classic (ironic caricature?) of the young Portland hipster. Intelligent but clueless, self-referential, sheltered, detached, self-absorbed, flannel & trilby wearing... and did I mention self-centered. I hope I'm not giving up on the book too soon - but I see enough of that around here as it is, I don't need to spend an entire novel with another one <sigh>.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Voortrekers.
    The southern african wild west.

In the beginning the biggest perpetrators of genocide were the Zulus, wiping out many other tribes. That left a depopulated area on the other side of the Drakensbergs the Boer treckers moved into, but the Zulu's. moving south, objected.

And then there were diamonds and gold, and Rhodes and Jamieson, and the whole sorry mess.

Oof. I have good friends from there. Their father was born in the 40s. He tells us stories. Iíll have to read this book.

Peace,
    Robert

I read David Lagercrantz' book, The Girl in the Spiders Web. The author is touted as an acclaimed journalist -- this is the first book in the Lisbeth Salander series not written by it's original author.

Lagercrantz should stick to journalism. In fact, he did, in writing this book -- this is nothing more than a magazine article blown up and presented as a novel. It is almost 90% narrative, much of it just 'backstory' filling out the word count. Much much unnecessary verbiage. Rewritten as the fiction it purports to be, the essential story here would scarcely fill out a novella. Perhaps just a long short story.

I most highly un-recommend it.
    "... the door was ajar, and the game was afoot." Lawrence Block

Not bad. A journalist doing journalism about history.

Just finished, Shopcraft as Soulcraft
    by, Matthew B. Crawford

I'll probably read it a second time someday.
    basil

Heinlein, 'Orphans of the Sky'. For those who wonder how myths develop - religious & otherwise.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I found that a local bookshop had picked up a stack of "The British at Indianapolis" and was selling them at one fifth of the original price-couldn't resist the opportunity and its a good read.

I've been reading a lot of fairly intense spy-thriller stuff lately, so I am taking a break with some Janet Evanovich/Stephanie Plum. Crime fiction... kinda. But reliably light-hearted, witty, down to earth, and fast-paced.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Arrrggghh. I was kind of enjoying this novel, “The Incarnations”, and then I run across a line like this:

”A few days of struggling through lectures and campus life. A seasonal depression as the earth moved farther from the sun and the hours of darkness lengthened.”

Either the author should know better, or her college student character should. Now she’s lost her credibility.

Just finished The War In The West, A new history Germany ascendant 1939-1941 by James Holland. Superb book.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Light suspense.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Having recently enjoyed my first Stuart Neville novel, I went back to his first. 'The Ghosts of Belfast'. Really very good. Impressive first novel. Not only is it an engaging, intense, thriller... it's a most interesting inside view of history. That is, The Troubles in Northern Ireland.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Actually good if you are x-catholic, paints a better picture of the few good guys.

The Templers, Dan Jone's research history of the Templers. Very good and quite readable.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 10-10-2017 at 10:33 PM.
    The world's big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    The Templers, Dan Jone's research history of the Templers. Very good and quite readable.

That thing got a bibliography? I wonder how many of the books in it I have?

Peace,
    Robert

Starting Saturn Run. John Sanford is one of my favorite authors. I'm at about chapter 10, and have encountered some slightly foul whiffs of Walden II and some Heinlein juvenalia, but for the most part the read is good.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I've been reading a lot of fairly intense spy-thriller stuff lately, so I am taking a break with some Janet Evanovich/Stephanie Plum. Crime fiction... kinda. But reliably light-hearted, witty, down to earth, and fast-paced.
    A worthy successor to Robert B. Parker in his prime, would you say?

What are you doing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    I'd say Evanovich is still slightly more of a light-weight. But not by much.

Just started "Cutting for Stone" by Abraham Verghese at the suggestion of one of my patients. It's good.

Has anyone read the new Le Carre novel about George Smiley? I'm expecting great things.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    Yes, though Parker was deeper, and sometimes grimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by webishop14 View Post
    I'd say Evanovich is still slightly more of a light-weight. But not by much.
    Yes. I am reminded of Cindy Lauper... <G>

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Yes, though Parker was deeper, and sometimes grimmer.
    Yeah. The sequence that began (roughly) with Early Autumn and ended with Crimson Joy​ was probably his best work.
    Last edited by Flying Orca; 10-12-2017 at 04:56 PM.

What are you doing about it?

this post
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen