Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: oil navigation lamps

Thanks for the information Gold Rock. I presume you are located in the US, so Iím curious to know what your import costs were, including shipping/mailing, duty, taxes, etc. Iím intending on getting these very same lamps for my new boat and have been wondering what it would cost to get them over to North America.

Cheers,
    Don

Default Re: oil navigation lamps

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    oil lamps are outlawed in most areas...especially around oil refinerys, fuel storage areas and offshore drilling....for several miles out to sea, the cool gases float above the water, and if ignited can travel tremendous distances....I had oil lamps on the boat before tana Mari and got nailed in the Gulf of Mexico......use L.E.D.s much safer and low drain......Matt...buy a cuppa coffee and we'll talk about your problem...
    This is a myth. Oil lamps are not banned near oil refineries or anywhere else. LEDs are better BUT they will drain your batteries and oil is a good back up. I have seen many, many people cruising with bright nav lights - which they leave off at sea to save the batteries. This is much, much WORSE than simply sailing with oil lamps.

Big ship operators say red and green lights on a yacht are just a fuzzy blur at sea anyway. People that actually GO to sea know that you need a very bright white light. A bright white light can be seen. There are white oil lights that can be seen 20 miles. So have your LEDs, but a prudent skipper always shows lights regardless of his batteries and for that oil is a good choice.

Default Re: oil navigation lamps

Bacon's in Annapolis had a few used ones last I checked....