Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Living with a Lumberyard Skiff

Default Re: Living with a Lumberyard Skiff

Spokaloo,

I bought Walt's plans several months ago, pretty much because of your postings here. IIRC, you built your boat with 1-sided MDO. The only MDO I seem to have available around me is 2-sided--do you think this would work? If you think it would, what problems might I have to plan for? I was a little concerned about the surface being easily damaged by gear or foot traffic, but, if it's safe for the bottom of the boat, I can't see why it wouldn't work.

I built the transom with one sided MDO because it was easier to laminate together with the epoxy I had. The rest of the boat is 2 sided MDO, so it's precisely what you have. Two sided works just fine, as long as you follow Walt's description of fastener schedules.

The surface has proven to be very rugged, and I'd venture that it's about as tough as a 3.25oz layer of fiberglass. In fact, it's more flexible, so it doesn't crack or peel like glass does. I managed to gouge it with a 6 foot steel bar breaking ice out of the interior last week, but that's about as extreme a case as there is out there. Smashing into docks, pushing boats, running into trees on the shoreline, none of that has penetrated the paper under paint. Tough stuff, and I'll build the next one out of MDO again.

Probably going to need to build another one after the ice breaking, but we will see...

E

Quote Originally Posted by Spokaloo View Post
    I built the transom with one sided MDO because it was easier to laminate together with the epoxy I had. E
    Do you think it's feasible to use 2-sided MDO for the transom? If so, would I need to do any surface prep--I was planning on using the Sikaflex per Walt's instruction (except, he doesn't use MDO)?

I'll start the build and see how I feel about the inboard diesel as I go. It's free and just sitting in the garage. If I can get in the high teens thats fast enough for me.

Use all the fastenings he specifies, and the Sikaflex will do the rest. The paper is pretty tenacious, I'd have no heartburn doing it that way. Hell I might do it that way on the next one, depending on whether or not I kill this one in the near future.

On the fiberglass front, it's really not rocket surgery either. The stuff is dead simple to work with, and I even do glass work in the 0F-20F temps we get up here a couple hours south of Canada. Fast hardener, warming the goop in the house, and heat lamps get the job done. My current project is a 23' fiberglass boat that I'm refitting into an entirely different beast, and I've done so much fiberglass work the past 3 years on it that I'm just sick of the stuff and will putter around with an all wood boat the next go-round. So much more pleasant...

E

Glad you got your skiff out of the ice. Give it some well deserved dry time.

I think the only essential place for fiberglassing on these type boats is the double taping of the chines. You can also double the chine logs to help stiffen this critical joint. You new builders might think about doubling up the bottom planking to 1/50th of the max chine beam, and getting rid of any and all bottom framing on the sole. No scarfs or buttblocks needed. Stiffen the topsides with inner and outer rubrails, sheerclamp, washboard, and combings screwed and glued to some added frames.

That what is nice about Tom Hills Long point skiff....clean bilge, robust bottom. i dont know how he handles the chine , probably logs and exterior biaxial glass. http://www.thomasjhillboatdesigns.co...ong_point.html

Spokaloo,

Hey, thanks for answering all my questions...I really do appreciate it. I do have another, though...did you glass your LYS? I thought I remember from your build description that all you did was paint it?

Nope, I attempted to glass the backs of the side panel joints, but basically the glass just cracked. It was a waste of time.

She's sitting on a trailer currently, and I went around with a basher to see where she's rotten or broken. And I found zero places. Granted, I need to paint up some spots where I've torn through all the coating and a few wood fibers, but she's still rock solid.

It's a tough boat...

E

More misery for the LYS this year.

First, it was left at a friend's house to avoid the ice. I was out of town for a major rain event, then it froze over again. This was the result:

Yup, 4" from sinking.

Then moving up to where she sits for the remaining drop (a total of 14' of water height loss), I have to tend it every day or every other day. Due to a 34 hour shift, I didn't get out for a few days. Oops...

Then it gets shallower and is almost impossible to keep off the mud. This time, a muskrat decided to make a home under the boat.

Still going strong, zero maintenance. Hard life, rough use, heavy loads. It just won't die.

E

Although most people would probably shudder at that sight, I believe you've just got a nice looking and probably softer riding( flat bottom ) aluminum boat. Here in Michigan that's how a few of use treat our duck boats. If you ask us we have the same 12 month boating season as Florida, it's only that 4 of them you'll probably die witching 30 min if you go for a Swim!

Another year, another miserable existence for the poor boat.

There was a pretty significant early storm that we couldn't keep the boat from freezing into, so it not only froze in, but became a Christmas decoration:

60" of snow and 6" of rain later, we had a little situation today:

On the bright side, the neighbor had a little sump pump, and my Assistant has an affinity for playing with water.

It literally won't die...

E

So I know how old the last post is, but I was wondering if there were any updates that could be added to this thread.

Well, it was 105F today for the third day in a row. The skiff is still sitting on the dock, dry as a bone. The transom has delaminated a little, but if I just got off my ass and put a little glue in there, then screwed it together to clamp it, it'd be fine.

Towed a boat that got stranded up on shore a couple weeks ago. Also hauled about 500lbs of rope, gear, and tools, plus 600lbs of humans to where the boat went ashore.

Still going strong. Still basically no maintenance, so it looks like it hasn't had any maintenance...

E