Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living with a Lumberyard Skiff

Default Living with a Lumberyard Skiff

I get a fair amount of email and messages concerning the LYS from Old Wharf Dory. Walt designed a good little boat, simple and rugged. Here's a small portion of how she has been used (abused) and comes back for more.

3 weeks after being built, she was hauling bundles of 30' long logs on runs up to 5 miles.

Have towed boats up to 28 feet in length.

Lives outside, uncovered, 2 hours south of Canada.

Gets tied up correctly on the dock occasionally, at best.

Worked on muddy flats every year doing salvage/rescue work for stranded boats.

Hauled up to 1000lbs of payload.

Carried up to 5 adults.

Then this year, frozen into 8" of ice:

Filled with ice and water:

And stuck long enough that the lake drained out from under it:

As of today, the lake is filling, the boat still floats and isn't leaking a drop.

This is the one toughest boat I've ever met...

E

Default Re: Living with a Lumberyard Skiff

And since they limit the number of videos per post...

It has also been a towboat for a friend on a surf board:

E

And is capable of running whitewater when you're up for making bad decisions:

Any questions on whether this boat can do whatever it is you don't think it can?

E

Cool boat! I can hardly wait for the sail and oar version. Thanks for posting. - John

Not this boat, this one is purely power. The LYS from Woodenboat was inaptly named.

E

Somekinda funky horns are growing out of the corners ?

How much freeboard at the transom cutout, does not look like much maybe because of the water sitting in it. What kind of ply?

She looks like a simple build. Any build pics? She also looks like a great choice for a fishing and camping trip. - John

And since they limit the number of videos per post...

It has also been a towboat for a friend on a surf board:
    Looks like you installed autopilot! LOL
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Here's his build thread on Wooden Boat Forum:
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ess-in-silence

Check out the link in his signature for words to follow the build thread.

One thing I just noticed is that your hull paint changed color. I assume that it was to repair damage? What did you paint it with? How's the KiwiGrip holding up as your non-skid?

Also, did you go with the LYS or the LYSS? Would you build the same boat over again or choose the other model? Why? What would you do differently next time?

Perhaps we can get all of the questions that people have out of you so we don't bug you anymore!

Very cool and a rebuke to all the Joe Sixpacks who think that wooden boats are somehow "fragile", but, uh, you do know that had you dipped your upstream gunwale in the whitewater that you would've wrecked your boat instantly, right? Be careful out there....

Slug, rather than buggering in cleats and bits all over the boat, I left all three posts long. I've been very happy with the results. it's like having 4"x4" towing bits sticking out everywhere.

SeaB, it has a short shaft on it, so 15". A splashwell would keep her safe, but I work mainly in lakes and bays, so not worried. A 20" long shaft works on this transom as well, and would be the better option for a near shore gunkholer. She's built with MDO.

Goat, I literally beat the paint off one side. Grabbed a $14 gallon of barn paint I had sitting around and slobbed it on. The paint sucks, I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it, but the price was right (free, it was sitting on the shelf), and it went on fast. The Kiwigrip is BOMB PROOF. I have it on all of my boats, and the stuff stays supple year after year, our toddler can crawl and fall on it, while it's still very grippy. This boat is a LYSS, I wanted the forefoot out of the water. In hindsight it really wouldn't matter much, and might plane just a tiny bit easier with large loads as the standard skiff.

I'd build her again, and have no problem answering questions and helping builders. That's what Stag Boatworks is all about, I am not a business, just support others in learning that building boats is a piece of cake. I wouldn't say talking boats is being bugged...

Dusty, I grew up in Western Oregon, and spent time not only jetting up rivers, but guiding raft trips down them as well. Pretty comfortable with this boat, it has a shocking amount of reserve stability in whitewater. The only issue she has is rooting around a bit running upriver in a steep wave, but I'd expect that.

E

I have always loved this boat. How is the MDO holding up? I used it for my garage doors that I built about eight years ago, and they are holding up great with the weather.

What at is the difference between the LYS and the LYSS? I checked the Old Dory site, but didn't see any designation to differentiate the boats other than length.

The MDO is still good to go. Even the spots that basically just rubbed on rocks for 2 winters are holding together better than anticipated. I broke the transom dropping the motor on it accidentally, but even that, with the missing transom knee, is holding together just fine. If it ever gets worse or flexible, I'll just slap a knee in, fill the cracks, bang in some screws, and be ready to go for another 5 years after a couple coats of paint.

The difference between the LYS and LYSS is the amount of rocker. The LYSS carries her forefoot further out of the water at rest, and has a little jauntier bow. Not much difference (3"), but it looks nice. I don't know if there's really a performance difference after spending a few years in her.

E

I've all but pulled the trigger on a Spira Carolinian, but the simplicity and ruggedness of this thing is downright seductive. I find myself re-reading this thread and the build thread over and over again. I can't seem to find a BOM for this boat-care to list one? I can get MDO for $70 a sheet in my area-trying to figure on a rough cost to build one. How do you think it would do with a 9.9? My local lakes are restricted.

http://oldwharf.com/ow_workskiffs.html

16 footer: 4 sheets total for sides, 3 sheets total for bottom, I think two 8' 4x4's did the posts.

E

I have had build a LYS 16 and brougth to water last summer --> http://www.boote-forum.de/index.php

At time I run it with a 8 HP Honda outborder. With 4 people on board it is not possible to reach more than displacement speed of 6 to 7 knots. On a nice autumn day with a plane surface without any waves and only two people on board, the boat came on plane and reached a max. speed of 10.5 knots.

How would she fair with a 25? I may build one, im already thinking about my next boat and the one I have now isnt done yet. But I am getting a 25 hp and a couple boats sharing a tiller handle motor would be nice. Swapping motors is easy.

The motor currently on the boat is a 25hp E-rude from the mid 1980's. There's absolutely no difference between the two motors that I could discern, the 25 is the perfect motor for the 16' LYS. Will plane with 4 adults and water sampling gear in the boat with a 25, will run whitewater with a 25, and will go hours upon hours on 6 gallons of gas.

E

Outstanding

You're lucky. After five or six years being stored outside with no trouble, water freezing inside the upturned boat is what killed a lovely, little Elegant Punt that was my first build.

It's been really quite absurd how tough this thing is.

I took it out of the water on Tuesday, intending to work Wednesday and come home Thursday morning to do a couple of maintenance things (it needs a drain plug). When I took it out, I broke a trailer bunk support. So now it's sitting caty-wompus on the trailer. Then I catch a draft (overtime shift) on Thursday, where it proceeds to rain 3/4" of precipitation in 18 hours. So now it's caty-wompus, tilted up on her hind end, and half full of water. Yet not a drop escapes...

E

Know anyone with the 20ft version of Walts LYS??? Have had my plans 2 1/2 years now. Work is slowing down enough to were I can really think of starting this fall. Id like to see pics of a 20' asides from the ones on Walts web page. Id like to get more rocker on the bow like the LYSS has. Love the lines on that boat.

You should call Walt directly, he might have more intel on the bigger boats. I got asked to build a couple for a coastal shellfish program for a tribal reservation, but they opted not to spend the money this year and pushed it off. Otherwise I'd have a pair to show you...

If'n I were to build the LYS again, I'd build the standard rather than the sport. The rocker actually creates a larger planing hump, where the lesser rockered boats come up a little easier. Ride will be the same regardless, and rooting isn't really an issue with this boat.

E

I am in the process of building a 16' LYS that is about ready to get the bottom plywood installed. I used MDO plywood and I can definitely see the benefits with finish quality and I'm hoping to have your luck with durability. I do plan to glass the bottom and transom, and plywood seams on the sides and stem. Looking forward to getting it finished. Your build thread on this and your own website were the main motivation for this model. That and an epic fail building a Spira Kachemack.

I did a little glass on the hull sides outside of the butt block. It eventually tore through and required being filled with thickened epoxy. One might consider using dynel if you are going to put a fabric on these boats, a bit more abrasion resistant and flexible than glass. None of the joints on the bottom, the stem, or the transom have opened up, so not really sure how critical the glass really would be. Up to you though, it's your boat. Just make sure you grind that paper so you get a good tooth for the epoxy.

Glad to see another LYS going together, let's see some photos!

E

Thanks for the reply. Here are a couple pictures of my progress. As you will see, the floor is just itching to be installed.

This last one is a close-up of an interesting crack that formed. I decided to do a two-layer chine where the first layer was one piece to the front of the butt block and the second piece was to the rear. Then I followed that up with a scarfed piece overtop of it running the whole length. The cracks happened when screwing on the second piece to the rear of the butt block. Both sides (matching pair!!). It's superficial and I don't think it will hurt anything, but it was interesting that it happened.

The floor panels will go on this weekend and I have a question for you. Assuming you worked from back to front, did you cut your second piece just short of, or right at, where the rocker starts? I just wonder how well that 3/4" ply is going to bend if I leave it the full 4' width.

I just whacked it on there full width and let the butt blocks tell the ply what to do. Takes a good bit of clamping force, but it got the job done.

Your crack looks like a bad spot on the outside ply. However, doing the 2 piece chine introduced a high load area where it switches to a single layer. I've done something similar, and it didn't end well for that boat, so just be wary of that spot and inspect it often.

E

Oops, make that 2 years in a row...

Water temp dropped from 50F to 2" of ice while I was away at the station.

Here's hoping we thaw out...

E

Great photo Spokaloo, thanks for sharing. I've seen these boats weather the ice before in the northeast. JDavis, any updates on your LYS?

I got as far as putting the primer coat on the outside of the hull before cold weather hit. Time to work on the boat is such a premium that I just cannot make much progress. I was pretty close to making the big flip but it will have to wait until spring 2015.

I will comment that putting on the primer was as much thrilling as it was discouraging. It pointed out all the flaws and blemishes from my epoxy work.

Well, we had a one day window. 5 days of 50F+ temps and heavy rains melted the ice down in thickness to a tolerable amount. Here's a shot of the First Mate and I out using the LYS as an ice breaker, 'crunching' (as he said) our way out to open water, then over to the boat launch.

Haven't surveyed what the ice did to the bottom yet, but all I have right now is a crappy roller trailer to put it on, and it's nowhere near on there correctly. We will see how that goes...

E

Eric
    We've talked before on this forum about the LYS for fishing in my area (Long Beach CA) looks like a winter project after holidays. I've got this 20hp 3 cylinder Kubota diesel that I am thinking of putting in the LYS20 . I don't see why it would'nt work. Saves me from buying an outboard. Been itching to fire it up first to make sure it works properly. What are your thoughts. I've been told I should save it for another boat. Why?

Because this boat is designed to have the weight of the engine aft on the transom, as outboard boats are designed. That's one.

Second, you've got to work out your propulsion plan. Straight shaft defeats the shallow draft. Outdrives are complex and expensive, especially trying to build one around such low hp. 20hp in a diesel is great for certain boats, but I think you'd find her to be slow compared to the 50hp outboard that boat really wants.

You've got the Rescue Minor / Shoals Runner / Mertens ST21 motor there. One of those three boats would be a legit reason to build that boat after you finish your outboard powered LYS 20.

If you're really set on putting that motor in that boat, do it. You can always plug all the holes later if you want. It is, after all, your boat.

E

I've been told I should save it for another boat. Why?
    Here are flat bottom boat plans with inboard engine options for you to peruse. Meant for slower speeds.

http://www.fao.org/docrep/007/y5649e/y5649e00.htm

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.