Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 45

Thread: blind

Default Re: blind

Aw, man, I'm sorry to hear that. Life can deal people some crap hands sometimes. I can kind of relate, as my back and foot pain have stopped my boat build.

What are you doing about it?

Rich - sorry to hear you had to let the boat go. What do the medicos say? Is this likely to be permanent... or do they hold out hope for any sort of improvment? Wishing you the best.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by david g View Post
    rich - sorry to hear you had to let the boat go. What do the medicos say? Is this likely to be permanent... Or do they hold out hope for any sort of improvment? Wishing you the best.
    ditto
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Glad to see you back. I hope we can help you in some way. You mentioned that you were getting seasick, because the blindness put your balance off, and therefore sailing was no longer fun.

Has that changed? There used to be compasses adapted for blind people. Info here

Quote Originally Posted by Rich VanValkenburg View Post
    Hi friends. I haven't posted in long time. an update-- I was forced to sell Sonja. That hurt. Bad. A millionaire bought her, sprayed a show coat of varnish, poly, whatever. and installed a Torqeedo.

Whatever you hear of her, please don't forget the 40 years that I gave bringing Sonja back to life. A graveyard boat is now a show boat. http://www.squareskerryyachts.net/ for recent photos.

I'm only 64 and not having a good retirement. never sail my Sonja again, never drive again. 20 years of occipital seizures then an occipital stroke both cooked my vision. it's a long story.
    Hi Rich, great to hear that Sonja is in good care. It would have been so sad to see her slowly deteriorate, as we are all bound to do. Sorry to hear things are not going so well for you. I hope you have tried to access counselling, support networks etc. I cant imagine how hard it is to have your vision and all that goes with it taken away at a time when you have so much of life ahead of you. I do know that blind and happy are not mutually exclusive states of being.

my neurologist is somewhat belligerent. I still have small seizures and for few seconds I can see clearly. That should have pointed him in the right direction, but he let it blow right by. sleep is an issue. Last year I went a month with no sleep. no fun.

I have nothing to offer except my best wishes to you, and hope that you find a path that works well for you, and of course, Good Luck.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich VanValkenburg View Post
    my neurologist is somewhat belligerent. I still have small seizures and for few seconds I can see clearly. That should have pointed him in the right direction, but he let it blow right by.
    Wowsers! Id be changing doctor asap! It sounds like there may be some capacity there to restore your sight?

Ahoy Rich, good to hear from you and to know you're still in the struggle.

Seizures are weird and can have interesting side effects in diverse circumstances. For a while as Mom's Alzheimers advanced the doc viewed seizures as a bad thing and put her on an anti-seizure medicine that at first had no side effects, so when she began having severe pains the doc never thought to look at that. Fortunately Dad did and very carefully took her off the anti-seizure med. The pain went away and interestingly the seizures seemed to have some beneficial effects. Mom's seizures were essentially stillness where she just looked blank for a while but her breathing remained calm and regular. Then she'd move from that to real sleep, REM and all that. And when she awoke she'd be noticeably clearer, more alert and more present, for about a day.

Dad began working with a doc who was doing research on a variety of situations complicated by seizures but where it seemed that the positive effects of the seizures off-set negatives and for that reason the conventional attempts to control the seizures were not called for. I am sorry to say that I did not learn the name of this research before Dad and Mom died but I think he was associated with an Alzheimers foundation.

The problem, of course, is that we don't have an accurate way of even mapping much less directing what happens in a seizure. I hope you and your physicians can figure yours out. You're on unknown waters there. You have my hope.

Our Good wishes for a full recovery too Rich. My step dad had a similar stroke which also involved some left side paralysis but made a 90% recovery in about 3 years. Much of that was in the first two months.
    Jeff and Anne

PS Paul G. Good to hear your wife has made such progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Ahoy Rich, good to hear from you and to know you're still in the struggle.

Seizures are weird and can have interesting side effects in diverse circumstances.
    I was on Dilantin anti seizure med for 18 years. in 2011 they changed the process that they used to make it. I started to have serious problems right away. A grand mal, peripheral neuropathy, then the stroke. I'm convinced it gave me the stroke as I wound up dehydrated.

The guy looking to buy Bachant a few years ago bought my Sonja.